{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Does Evans' "Glory Hunters" remark define a watershed?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Does Evans' "Glory Hunters" remark define a watershed?

Postby The One » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:02 pm

The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:20 pm

The very worst thing you can give Stags fans is belief - we just don't know how to handle it. We've had enough mediocrity that we know how to deal with that, it's our comfort zone. We're bad enough when we know we're mediocre, but telling us that we'll be good is a suicide note, unless we're good from the very second that you utter the word 'good' and from that moment on. You're better off not saying anything and letting it surprise us.
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:24 pm

i wasn't there on Saturday but have supported the club home and away for over 50 years.

I have to say my head dropped into my hands when I heard that the players had been subject to ' what a load of rubbish chants' and also Steve Evans response. I really think this is a time for cool heads and a sense of perspective.

When Steve was appointed there was an immediate uplift in expectations fanned by Steve's ego and comments about what he's achieved before, As he will know football is about here and now. In my view we all got carried away and that wasn't helped by being made bookies favourites.

But this club is moving forward
- best squad ( and it is) for a number of years
- a high profile manager who will deliver ( and he will). If he isn't happy he should go - he hasn't got mystical powers and we will get another good manager
- an owner and CEO who are committed and efficient
- a fantastic pitch
- an improved off the field experience ( ok some hiccups but going in the right direction)

All I ask is we , the supporters get behind the team. They aren't rubbish and there are bad days at work as we all know. Abusing them won't help. And Steve - there are no glory hunters at this club and certainly not among those who travelled. I hope on reflection you will appreciate your comments were not the best and we all want the same thing

Chance for us to all make it right on Saturday - COYS
yorkstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Dan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:15 am

When I first heard him say it on Radio Nottingham I actually thought he was talking about some of his own players reaction at full time as it didn't make sense, because fans of a League 2 club can hardly be glory hunters!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:29 am

the phrase he used was "glory days" not "glory hunters". Although probably has the same meaning.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby victor A block » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:08 pm

I've been going since 1973 and can count on 1 hand the glory days. promotion under Dave Smith & Peter Morris, Frieght Rover win, promotion from League 2 last time( cant remember who the manager was, Martin???) and Conference Promotion under Cox ( if that counts as glory).......that's a teeny bit of success once every 8.8 seasons......... So he needn't bother labelling me as a glory hunter or someone who is here for the glory days...whichever way you phrase it.
victor A block
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:09 pm

victor A block wrote:I've been going since 1973 and can count on 1 hand the glory days. promotion under Dave Smith & Peter Morris, Frieght Rover win, promotion from League 2 last time( cant remember who the manager was, Martin???) and Conference Promotion under Cox ( if that counts as glory).......that's a teeny bit of success once every 8.8 seasons......... So he needn't bother labelling me as a glory hunter or someone who is here for the glory days...whichever way you phrase it.

People have got this all wrong. Evans was calling the fans who boo’d and gave stick. He isn’t calling every stags fan a glory hunter or whatever.

Since we’ve had evans, it seems like a lot of people think that we should be winning nearly every game and we should be playing like brazil. This ain’t gonna happen, we’ll have bad days and good days! We win togethe, we lose together. Some folk just have to accept defeat a little more gracefully.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:35 pm

Victor a block, Watkiss (Dearden first half of the season). There was also promotion under Greaves and Foster
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bridgford Stag » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:41 pm

yorkstag wrote:i wasn't there on Saturday but have supported the club home and away for over 50 years.

[b][b][b]I have to say my head dropped into my hands when I heard that the players had been subject to ' what a load of rubbish chants' [/b][/b[/b]]and also Steve Evans response. I really think this is a time for cool heads and a sense of perspective.

When Steve was appointed there was an immediate uplift in expectations fanned by Steve's ego and comments about what he's achieved before, As he will know football is about here and now. In my view we all got carried away and that wasn't helped by being made bookies favourites.

But this club is moving forward
- best squad ( and it is) for a number of years
- a high profile manager who will deliver ( and he will). If he isn't happy he should go - he hasn't got mystical powers and we will get another good manager
- an owner and CEO who are committed and efficient
- a fantastic pitch
- an improved off the field experience ( ok some hiccups but going in the right direction)

All I ask is we , the supporters get behind the team. They aren't rubbish and there are bad days at work as we all know. Abusing them won't help. And Steve - there are no glory hunters at this club and certainly not among those who travelled. I hope on reflection you will appreciate your comments were not the best and we all want the same thing

Chance for us to all make it right on Saturday - COYS

Indeed yorkie....

Tbh I haven't gone through all posts but I must say fans have an opinion BUT, for me, I have never booed or chanted' what a load of rubbish'

That is so counter productive isn't it (rhetorical)?

How many times have we seen an away team not got a result at the Mill and the away team have half hearted gone to their supporters to applaud them? It can be cringing and sad.

I thought Staggies were a bit above that (some aren't imo and that doesn't help the cause).....ok...don't clap if you are miffed but don't rub salt in players wounds and undermine their confidence. It is upto SE to choose the team and he will surely move on.

....now getting off my high horse....

:roll:
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby madstagman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:57 pm

I'm sure bobbystagsfan is Evans love child with what comes off his key board
madstagman
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:42 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
victor A block wrote:I've been going since 1973 and can count on 1 hand the glory days. promotion under Dave Smith & Peter Morris, Frieght Rover win, promotion from League 2 last time( cant remember who the manager was, Martin???) and Conference Promotion under Cox ( if that counts as glory).......that's a teeny bit of success once every 8.8 seasons......... So he needn't bother labelling me as a glory hunter or someone who is here for the glory days...whichever way you phrase it.

People have got this all wrong. Evans was calling the fans who boo’d and gave stick. He isn’t calling every stags fan a glory hunter or whatever.

Since we’ve had evans, it seems like a lot of people think that we should be winning nearly every game and we should be playing like brazil. This ain’t gonna happen, we’ll have bad days and good days! We win togethe, we lose together. Some folk just have to accept defeat a little more gracefully.

Dude. You’re the biggest fawning belmer on here.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:30 pm

madstagman wrote:I'm sure bobbystagsfan is Evans love child with what comes off his key board

You're right, Steve Evans is my father
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:12 pm

We’re in the 4th tier of English football. And a pretty unfashionable, mediocre club at that level. What do people honestly expect? The team on whole hasn’t, yet at least, looked capable of becoming a promotion chasing team.
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Vice President » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:15 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:the phrase he used was "glory days" not "glory hunters". Although probably has the same meaning.

That's right Martin, he didn't say 'glory hunters' .... and I think he might have been slightly mis-constrewed (and certainly mis-quoted).
I really think the whole thing has been an over reaction. Some people have even been calling for his head over this! This is a storm in a tea cup. The storm having been exacerbated by the Gillingham speculation combined with a frustrating unexpected defeat. It's time to draw a line under this and move on - with a positive outlook.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:33 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
madstagman wrote:I'm sure bobbystagsfan is Evans love child with what comes off his key board

You're right, Steve Evans is my father

I knew it Pitkin, I knew it!
Mr Grimsdale
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:07 pm

MAYBE, just MAYBE, people on both sides need to calm down and stop running around like a farmer with a hatchet around December time.

For sure SE needs to keep his words in check and his thoughts to himself, and his habitual berating serves little purpose when the effectiveness of this is watered down from it being constant. He needs to work harder with utilising what he's got and making it effective, finding the right play and picking the suitable player to make the difference in that game. Lack of commitment and enthusiasm is not excusable though, and while i wouldn't single out players there has to be a time when some cannot hide forever. He definitely needs to use 'we didnt mange this' more than 'this player hasnt done this'

That said, some fans also need to hold their hands up once in a while and admit their reactions are perhaps too severe? We've had complacent and quiet managers in the past, now we don't like one who actively does the opposite. This behaviour was not alien to us prior to signing him, though i agree he needs to moderate this. I also think he couldn't have said anything but 'we will get promotion this year' given the acquisitions, and we've been quick to criticise in the past when managers have given teams/league too much respect. I for one seriously don't expect gelled performances right now, but likewise i expect more chances to have been taken and more promise to be shown.
It strikes me that while SE won't deliver his flaws become all too apparent and easy to scrutinise, but these are well known flaws evident since day 1. I suspect this thread is also the opportunity for some with deep rooted dislike of the guy to get their opportunity. In my view, SE needs to silence his critics by making things count, but likewise we have to be more realistic about what will change in a given timescale.

Either way, i doubt he'll walk yet and anyone calling for him to go is ludicrous......not unless folks fancy dipping into their wallets to afford another new squad! ;)
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:48 pm

people need to stop playing FIFA and watching the premiership and release we are a Div 4 team will above average players.
I cannot understand anyone wanting Evans gone. We are a 1/4 of the way into a season long campaign.
Yes, the results what I thought they would be, but they aren't that bad, and could be a lot worse.

We do need a leader on the pitch, something which is currently lacking.

The chances are being made, we just need to take them.

We have to give Evans a chance and stop these tearing into players on the back of a bad result.

We will make the play-offs at least.

Long live Steve Evans
stag324
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Im not the real OND » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:23 pm

I don't actually see too many people calling for his head. So a lot of these posts are straw man arguments.

There are people who, like me who have been critical of him and don't like him, but simply want him to improve. That's a big difference to wanting him out.

There's only one way Evans will leave and that's when he puts his notice in.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Bros » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:59 pm

This may seem a bit daft but I think it all started before the game. The Colchester stewards had herded us into a small section of the stand probably underestimating the numbers. So by the time half a dozen men came in at 5 to 3 it was pretty full. They tried to sit in the cordoned off area and when they were told to move they started mouthful off with plenty of the f and c words. After 10 minutes the police got them to sit down in front of us. After a few more minutes of abusing the stewards they turned their attention to the players especially after the goals. After half time when they were late back presumably after more pints they started again on the players particularly Macca who was up and down the wing in front of us. The abuse seemed to pass to others.
I don't know if anyone knows who these guys were, I don't recall them from previous away games. Perhaps they are just glory hunters
Bros
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:08 pm

Bros wrote:This may seem a bit daft but I think it all started before the game. The Colchester stewards had herded us into a small section of the stand probably underestimating the numbers. So by the time half a dozen men came in at 5 to 3 it was pretty full. They tried to sit in the cordoned off area and when they were told to move they started mouthful off with plenty of the f and c words. After 10 minutes the police got them to sit down in front of us. After a few more minutes of abusing the stewards they turned their attention to the players especially after the goals. After half time when they were late back presumably after more pints they started again on the players particularly Macca who was up and down the wing in front of us. The abuse seemed to pass to others.
I don't know if anyone knows who these guys were, I don't recall them from previous away games. Perhaps they are just glory hunters

No. Just twatts
Mr Evans is on borrowed time
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:37 pm

I didn't want to be so explicit Edders but you are so right
Bros
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:08 pm

Im not the real OND wrote:I don't actually see too many people calling for his head. So a lot of these posts are straw man arguments.

There are people who, like me who have been critical of him and don't like him, but simply want him to improve. That's a big difference to wanting him out.

There's only one way Evans will leave and that's when he puts his notice in.

Yes it does seem some have made quite a leap from fans being critical of our average start to the season to wanting him sacked now. I think I've read one post which sort of called for his head, the rest are just posts from concerned fans - I believe they are right to be concerned - the quality of football is low, results are mixed and for many the pre-season optimism is starting to wane - mine is.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:24 pm

SE is SE. We knew of his antics before he came. He won't change. The vast majority wanted him to come and take us forward. He is here now. We are lucky to have him. He is the best chance of us progressing. We need to be fully behind him, his management team and all the players. Just let him get on with the job and judge him at the end of the season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby BELSE » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:35 pm

Edwinstow stag on the idiots with steward and f at players they do go to some away matches but all way same leader wears a hat baying others
BELSE
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:40 pm

Amber Andy wrote:SE is SE. We knew of his antics before he came. He won't change. The vast majority wanted him to come and take us forward. He is here now. We are lucky to have him. He is the best chance of us progressing. We need to be fully behind him, his management team and all the players. Just let him get on with the job and judge him at the end of the season.

careful andy, you’ll be accused of being evans’ love child if you’re not careful :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum