{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Does Evans' "Glory Hunters" remark define a watershed?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Does Evans' "Glory Hunters" remark define a watershed?

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:42 pm

Sneag wrote:I've always thought `watershed' was a bit of a strange word. I'm sure if you filled a shed with water, it would all leak out and ruin your shed in the process.

I agree. I thought when I was typing it that it is a word we use to define a fixed timeline, but I don't know why.

I hope we haven't crossed the Rubicam here!
Mr Evans is on borrowed time
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:41 pm

:lol:

:mtfc: :coys: :mtfc:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:52 pm

We think the same things at the same time
We just can't do anything about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:59 pm

If they did indeed play well and I didn’t go so can’t comment then he is correct. If we didn’t play well then Evans is a complete and utter tool. Which one is it?
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Beano » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:26 pm

He's bought rubbish strikers.

Classic example was Angol dancing around the ball like Michael Jackson with his hair on fire, when Rose is stood in yards of space, onside, with a clear shot on.

When he's finished showboating, Angol powder puffs is to their keeper, Evans calls that dominating.
We think the same things at the same time
We just can't do anything about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:25 pm

Evans perhaps should have kept his opinons of the travelling supporters to himself.

He's not recognisd as being backward when it comes to venting his anger at the players, so why should he be surprised if some supporters follow his example an do the same.

Not for me to scream and shout but it is for some and its supporters who pay his and the players wages and give over their time and money to travel, which I rarely do.

I suspect SE is growing tired of MTFC?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:31 pm

Stag on Trent wrote:Players like McDonald and Rose had mares of a game and don't be fooled by Martin's ratings. He must have been watching a different game from me. Go on JR &CR let him go to Gillingham and get someone in who can get the best out of our players.

Only just spotted this. MacDonald did plenty of good things yesterday and some of them are shown in this video. Rose had a poor last 20 minutes as he started losing out on headers to Inniss but I thought he was good in the opening 70 minutes.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby part time pete » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:10 pm

I think the reason MacDonald has come in for some flack was his poor showing in the last half an hour when he was playing on the right just in front of all the stags fans.

Every cross and corner was poor and never beat his full back once.

Perhaps the reason was he was being played out of position after Anderson went off injured.
We might win against Accrington next time.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:14 pm

Alex MacDonald and Danny Rose were my MOM. I thought they both worked their socks off and were our most dangerous attackers.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:17 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Alex MacDonald and Danny Rose were my MOM. I thought they both worked their socks off and were our most dangerous attackers.

But still crap because they didn’t score.
part time pete

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:21 pm

part time pete wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Alex MacDonald and Danny Rose were my MOM. I thought they both worked their socks off and were our most dangerous attackers.

You are not impressed with the current side then Pete?
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:54 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
part time pete wrote:

You are not impressed with the current side then Pete?

Just frustrated because they can’t score, not clinical enough
part time pete

Postby pemill » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:56 pm

Everyone needs to get a grip and chill out somewhat; fans, players and staff alike.

The best thing Evans can do is take back his comments in some way, at least to those supporters who made the trip to Colchester and supported the team appropriately ~ that will help diffuse the situation.

Simple fact is; we aren't going to win every game, we are going to have off days, our strikers aren't going to score every game, there will be inexplicable results, we are likely to have a run of poor results, it's still very early in the season and importantly we are still very much in touch at the right end of the table.
pemill
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:20 pm

Steve Evans is just using the classic Alex Ferguson tactic of deflecting any criticism of the team after a defeat by saying something controversial.

And it's worked in that most people are talking about Steve Evans comments rather than the promotion favourites losing 0-2 & 0-3 in consecutive away games against teams in the lower half of the table.

No doubt Steve has one of the best budgets in League 2, we've had a pretty average start so far, 2 points behind Newport and level with Lincoln.

Steve should let the team do the talking, ON THE PITCH.

:coys:
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:28 pm

Looking at the missed chances I thought the Stags played well as a unit playing nice one touch football like pemill said we're at the right end of the table n if we lose a couple of games so be it....

N yes SE should apologise to those fans that made the trip regarding the glory fans comment.
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Onelove » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:43 pm

Its about progression. I understand Green going as he had a poor season. However, if you are going to replace him, you need to bring in something better. So far, the forward line looks very powder puff and a poor Green may still have done better. It does not shout improvement. However, supply is not great also. We are very predictable in the final.third and lack invention going forward

As for the fans, its a poor show from Evans towards the majority but there is a significant minority who would struggle to tune in the radio to hear his remarks
Onelove
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Grendon Stag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:32 pm

pemill wrote:Everyone needs to get a grip and chill out somewhat; fans, players and staff alike.

The best thing Evans can do is take back his comments in some way, at least to those supporters who made the trip to Colchester and supported the team appropriately ~ that will help diffuse the situation.

Simple fact is; we aren't going to win every game, we are going to have off days, our strikers aren't going to score every game, there will be inexplicable results, we are likely to have a run of poor results, it's still very early in the season and importantly we are still very much in touch at the right end of the table.

Evans doesn't need to take his comments back because he won't be here this time next week so it will be irrelevant. His body language yesterday told it's own story
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:19 am

Onelove wrote:Its about progression. I understand Green going as he had a poor season. However, if you are going to replace him, you need to bring in something better. So far, the forward line looks very powder puff and a poor Green may still have done better. It does not shout improvement. However, supply is not great also. We are very predictable in the final.third and lack invention going forward

As for the fans, its a poor show from Evans towards the majority but there is a significant minority who would struggle to tune in the radio to hear his remarks

Green as it stands is better than Hemmings and Angol. I also think he would score more over a season than Rose, who IMO is a better No 10 drifting into the box, not an out and out target man.
As to why he bought Spencer....answers on a postcard to Field Mill PO Box 0000
But he's gone so we have to make the best of it. I doubt January will provide much of an opportunity....strikers in form and scoring goals this season wont be shifting.
victor A block
First Team
First Team

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:51 am

One thing has me quite confused. Am I correct in thinking that Evans thinks the fans that attended on Saturday are only there off the back of him being manager and / or the investment made by our excellent chairman?
Is that his insinuation?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:32 am

bellwhiff wrote:One thing has me quite confused. Am I correct in thinking that Evans thinks the fans that attended on Saturday are only there off the back of him being manager and / or the investment made by our excellent chairman?
Is that his insinuation?

If he is thinking this then he's way off the mark. He's just insulted some of our loyalist suporters who would've been there whether the manager was Steve Evans, Adam Murray, me or you.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Chander Lear » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:35 am

Stoney wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:One thing has me quite confused. Am I correct in thinking that Evans thinks the fans that attended on Saturday are only there off the back of him being manager and / or the investment made by our excellent chairman?
Is that his insinuation?

If he is thinking this then he's way off the mark. He's just insulted some of our loyalist suporters who would've been there whether the manager was Steve Evans, Adam Murray, me or you.

Yes, thats what he is saying and that needs to be retracted. We have a core of about 180 / 200 who are there regardless not inlcuding the fans that can only get now and then due to work etc.

Low blow if you as me

but equally a low blow if the players have come over to clap and got a mouth full when it sounds like it wasnt fully deserved. 6 of 1 and alll that
Chander Lear
Manager
Manager

Postby chimney » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:44 am

Stoney wrote:
Is that his insinuation?

True. It was the hard core away support at Colly, the same that will be at Barnet and Newport despite the "insult".,
Strangely I now find it quite funny and feel it was a frustrated off the cuff remark. Let's forgive and forget, onwards and upwards
I only watch Corrie to see Eva's fantastic rack
chimney
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:45 am

Stoney wrote:
Is that his insinuation?

Agree Stoney, some of those fans follow the Stags home and away, and have done for years. His comments were crass and unhelpful. I will be interested to hear what he has to say today in his interview now he has calmed down, although I am not expecting an apology.
I was delighted when he came to manage us but the circus around him is becoming a distraction and he needs to think before he accuses loyal supporters of being here for glory days.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Chris M » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:13 pm

victor A block wrote:
Onelove wrote:Its about progression. I understand Green going as he had a poor season. However, if you are going to replace him, you need to bring in something better. So far, the forward line looks very powder puff and a poor Green may still have done better. It does not shout improvement. However, supply is not great also. We are very predictable in the final.third and lack invention going forward

Green as it stands is better than Hemmings and Angol. I also think he would score more over a season than Rose, who IMO is a better No 10 drifting into the box, not an out and out target man.
As to why he bought Spencer....answers on a postcard to Field Mill PO Box 0000
But he's gone so we have to make the best of it. I doubt January will provide much of an opportunity....strikers in form and scoring goals this season wont be shifting.

I was very disappointed to see Greeny move on. It was obvious how much he cared about the club. The one consolation to him leaving was that he would be replaced by someone better. Where is this wonderful player who we expected to deliver the goals to drive us on to promotion?

For Evans to turn on the fans after Saturday was horrible. It strikes me that whenever anything goes wrong it is never his fault. He has been the first to name and shame players who have made a mistake, so cannot really object to a few supporters criticising the same said players. He promised a roller coaster, well it is time to start delivering better results with the team he has assembled.

I do not want him to just ship out and move on. He needs to dig in and sort this mess out.
Chris M
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum