{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Does Evans' "Glory Hunters" remark define a watershed?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Does Evans' "Glory Hunters" remark define a watershed?

Postby stags4eva » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:02 am

bigalstag wrote:Just read his remark in the Chad about glory days.
Never read anything so galling in all my life.
Yes, Steve , Id like a bit of glory, seeing that its been in short supply in my almost 50 years of watching the Stags and no, I dont expect to be promoted by December.
From what I've seen so far this season, its going to be a while yet before I see some more.
Your players,your team selection and your tactics are continually coming up short and it is forever the fault of somebody else. Fans, referees, etc. are used as shields to deflect from poor team selection, setup and performance. Start doing what you were bought here to do and cut out all the crap .

Couldn't agree more!
stags4eva
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:22 am

Massive over reaction again.

Everyone’s expectations have been blown through the roof. Bookies making us favourites, having a desirable (to some) league manager and one of the best transfer windows we’ve possibly ever seen. Football is a results based business, and the results aren’t that bad - only just outside the play offs with a hell of a long way to go. We’ll probably lose a few more games along the way, but that’s understandable because we’re in league two. It’s gonna be a hell of a scrap to get past that finishing line
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:55 am

I'm an Evans fan however my support for him is slowly dwindling away. He went on and on all summer disrespecting John Radford in my opinion by telling him to get his wallet out. He also told all Stags fans that we would get promotion without a doubt. That in itself builds the pressure on himself, he never needed to go off like that so when we start to stumble a little in the early stages of the race and people start whinging that we're falling off the pace he is in no place whatsoever to have a go at the fans.

Steve - You built up our expectations nobody else... Shut your mouth and go and prove your worth. You've had everything you asked for.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Herts Stag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:42 am

The dozen fans probably included the middle aged morons who behaved like little kids when asked to move to the allocated area. They were an embarrassment to the Club and themselves. The game was a big disappointment, but to say they didn't try and fight for the shirt is incorrect. It was a very bad day at the office and Evans should know his best team by now. We have the players but not a team because we don't have a settled side.
Herts Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:12 am

A minority at the end showed their displeasure by booing and many, myself included, applauded the players. More worryingly is the number that were leaving early. Leaving early is something that Florist fans do and not Stags fans. I hope this is not the start of a worrying trend?

This season has been one that has been long on promise though short on delivery and stability. We have been asked to wait ten games before we would see the fruition of the moving of players in, players out and the time needed for them to gel. Twelve games have now passed and the patient stags fans are becoming less so. Mr. Evans has to provide the settled side, with players challenging for places not playing musical chairs in the dressing room, he has to provide entertaining and attractive football, he has to provide the type of play that will generate an atmosphere whether home or away.

Yesterdays game in the atmosphere less, characterless, soulless lego stadium is one that all, Mr. Evans, Norman, the players, the supporters all have to learn from, forget and move on. Swindon are at the Mill Saturday so lets play football, the sort that is a new beginning of what was promised and cheer them on.
I am Spartacus
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:27 am

I am Spartacus wrote:A minority at the end showed their displeasure by booing and many, myself included, applauded the players. More worryingly is the number that were leaving early. Leaving early is something that Florist fans do and not Stags fans. I hope this is not the start of a worrying trend?

This season has been one that has been long on promise though short on delivery and stability. We have been asked to wait ten games before we would see the fruition of the moving of players in, players out and the time needed for them to gel. Twelve games have now passed and the patient stags fans are becoming less so. Mr. Evans has to provide the settled side, with players challenging for places not playing musical chairs in the dressing room, he has to provide entertaining and attractive football, he has to provide the type of play that will generate an atmosphere whether home or away.

Yesterdays game in the atmosphere less, characterless, soulless lego stadium is one that all, Mr. Evans, Norman, the players, the supporters all have to learn from, forget and move on. Swindon are at the Mill Saturday so lets play football, the sort that is a new beginning of what was promised and cheer them on.

If I'd gone then I'd have been one of those to be fair. With 5 mins to go I'd have been off. You can judge by a performance whether there's any point staying till the death especially at a team supposedly inferior to us. At 1-0 down there's always a chance (as with Clownty yesterday) but we've not the players up front to give me belief that we'd do a Loooooun and come back from 2-0 down.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:06 am

First time I've come on since yesterday's game and I can't believe what I'm reading . Total over reaction on both sides .
I thought we played quite well . The end product wasn't there but we had lots of possession and we did have a few cances .
I will have to admit that I was surprised and embarrassed about the reaction our players got . I could understand if we were lingering near the bottom or lost five on the bounce , but we are a few points off the play offs . It's our second defeat and after that excellent result against County tge players then get a reaction like that from our so called fans . I'm glad that most either applauded or made to reaction .

Some of our payers put a good shift iso is it fair to boo and hurl abuse to the whole team ?
Maybe Evans should have thicker skin and kept quiet but why should he ?
Me along with other fans I spoke to fellt the same as Evans .

I dont agree with this rubbish about he has made a rod for his own back . . Yes he has promised us promotion . It's October fgs. Exeter were bottom of the league this time last season and ended up in the play offs .
If he fails in his promise then he should be judged . He has said on many occasions it's a marathon not a sprint. If we are that poor and other teams are that great then why are we only a few points behind ?
It's the first year I haven't brought a season ticket for years although I will go to every home game .
I'd rather fork more money out in the long run than sit week in , week out surrounded by the same morons .
Supporters who shout abuse , then have the nerve to moan about owners , managers and players who react back .
No doubt if we win the next three games they will be kissing his backside .
Last edited by tmwilson on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:07 am

Spiritater wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:A minority at the end showed their displeasure by booing and many, myself included, applauded the players. More worryingly is the number that were leaving early. Leaving early is something that Florist fans do and not Stags fans. I hope this is not the start of a worrying trend?

If I'd gone then I'd have been one of those to be fair. With 5 mins to go I'd have been off. You can judge by a performance whether there's any point staying till the death especially at a team supposedly inferior to us. At 1-0 down there's always a chance (as with Clownty yesterday) but we've not the players up front to give me belief that we'd do a Loooooun and come back from 2-0 down.

I got up and went to the toilet after angol and rose scuppered the chance at the end. 92 mins into 94 mins. I know what your saying but forest fans leave home games with 10 to 15 still on the clock. Surely the effort of getting to colchester is enough in this instance.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:17 am

tillydog123 wrote:The away loss today is unacceptable whether players or SE running it
Agree what's got into this team and it's inconsistency and was this another namby pampy overnight stop

Have you heard yourself ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:35 am

I've always thought `watershed' was a bit of a strange word. I'm sure if you filled a shed with water, it would all leak out and ruin your shed in the process.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:46 am

Steve’s comment on Talksport, ‘ We all have thoughts on what’s going to happen in the next 24 hours.’
What is he implying here?
A very puzzling statement, I hope it was said in the heat of the moment but it is not helpful. I sense he is livid and feeling the pressure but he needs to take stock and focus on the Swindon game and find a consistency in our performances in order to cement our promotion credentials.
A thought on yesterday, Colchester were dominant in the air and we seem to have a much smaller team this season, pumping those long balls is wasteful. We also need to be more vocal on the pitch, there is no warrior mentality when we go behind and the players seem flat away from home.
We can progress once we have a settled team and we stop this alienation of players, just what has happened to Benning? I felt Hunt backed off yesterday on too many occasions and he seemed to tire towards the end. I would bring back White and Benning to improve our running on the flanks, this system worked well last season particularly away from home.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Waggy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:11 am

london amber stag wrote:Steve’s comment on Talksport, ‘ We all have thoughts on what’s going to happen in the next 24 hours.’
What is he implying here?
A very puzzling statement, I hope it was said in the heat of the moment but it is not helpful. I sense he is livid and feeling the pressure but he needs to take stock and focus on the Swindon game and find a consistency in our performances in order to cement our promotion credentials.
A thought on yesterday, Colchester were dominant in the air and we seem to have a much smaller team this season, pumping those long balls is wasteful. We also need to be more vocal on the pitch, there is no warrior mentality when we go behind and the players seem flat away from home.
We can progress once we have a settled team and we stop this alienation of players, just what has happened to Benning? I felt Hunt backed off yesterday on too many occasions and he seemed to tire towards the end. I would bring back White and Benning to improve our running on the flanks, this system worked well last season particularly away from home.

He's quite obviously implying that he is considering a move to Gillingham. For whatever reason, he is using it for his own ends. This is twice he has threatened to go and is implying that he is bigger than the club. Is he so precious that a dozen fans showing displeasure at a poor performance along way from home, will cause him to walk out on what he has described as a great relationship with the club and owners?

Get a grip Evans and start doing your job or ship out!
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby vicar jeremiah » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:26 am

Yes strange one, around 3 % of the travelling support booed, yet apocalypse approaches
Kylie Minogue, God's gift to Mankind
vicar jeremiah
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:40 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

I got up and went to the toilet after angol and rose scuppered the chance at the end. 92 mins into 94 mins. I know what your saying but forest fans leave home games with 10 to 15 still on the clock. Surely the effort of getting to colchester is enough in this instance.

I freely admit to leaving after this scuppered chance because it was our last opportunity and proved yet again we are a group of individuals not a team. Angols correct decision would have been to pass to Rose in acres of space and give us something to cheer.

But no the 3 hour drive back was all I had to look forward to to then find out Evans had branded those that had travelled glory hunters and also that county had equalised in the 96th minute... :roll:

I didn't boo, i left out of frustrated yes. I know exactly who will have booed they'll have been the ones singing we want our money back no doubt during extra time.

Nottingham post article.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/foo ... 593990.amp

My concern is where the points will come from the Swindon, Barnet, Newport and Exeter games. I hope im proven wrong but think we'll be lucky to get 6pts.
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Stag on Trent » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:42 am

The fat Scottish cowboy should go now before he bankrupts the club. He's had the best budget, better than any previous manager and has continually conned the Radfords. Yes he's signed some decent players but they are not playing for him. Yesterday was a prime example -there was no passion or effort they made a distinctly average side look good. Players like McDonald and Rose had mares of a game and don't be fooled by Martin's ratings. He must have been watching a different game from me. Go on JR &CR let him go to Gillingham and get someone in who can get the best out of our players.
Stag on Trent
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:43 am

How can people say SE has conned JR and CR? Maybe if we were in the relegation zone, but we’re not. We’re 2 points off the play offs in october for crying out loud
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Waggy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:00 pm

Stag on Trent wrote:The fat Scottish cowboy should go now before he bankrupts the club. He's had the best budget, better than any previous manager and has continually conned the Radfords. Yes he's signed some decent players but they are not playing for him. Yesterday was a prime example -there was no passion or effort they made a distinctly average side look good. Players like McDonald and Rose had mares of a game and don't be fooled by Martin's ratings. He must have been watching a different game from me. Go on JR &CR let him go to Gillingham and get someone in who can get the best out of our players.

His entire way of working seems to consist of shouting at anyone who happens to be about when something goes wrong - both on and off the pitch. Isn't it quite telling that Collins chose to go to Luton over us, despite having success with the manager in the past? He holds Alex Ferguson as a role model and thinks the hairdryer treatment is the way to do things. This can work if used discerningly, but not all the time - explaining someones shortcomings has to also have a role
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:04 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:How can people say SE has conned JR and CR? Maybe if we were in the relegation zone, but we’re not. We’re 2 points off the play offs in october for crying out loud

Bobby i think what the fans arguments is the fact that the only thing we have heard since christmas is were going to get promoted not by the fans but nu Evans. To achieve this he has been given the biggest ever budget given to a stags manager and recruited a hell of a lot of players (some no better than what we already had) and seems to be show horning his favourites in.

I for the life of me cannot understand why Bennett and Mellis are not starting games and why Danny Rose was dropped for the first few ganes when Hemmings came to the club.
MTFCMAD
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:19 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:How can people say SE has conned JR and CR? Maybe if we were in the relegation zone, but we’re not. We’re 2 points off the play offs in october for crying out loud

Bobby i think what the fans arguments is the fact that the only thing we have heard since christmas is were going to get promoted not by the fans but nu Evans. To achieve this he has been given the biggest ever budget given to a stags manager and recruited a hell of a lot of players (some no better than what we already had) and seems to be show horning his favourites in.

I for the life of me cannot understand why Bennett and Mellis are not starting games and why Danny Rose was dropped for the first few ganes when Hemmings came to the club.

You don’t get promoted in october though.

Look what exeter did last year, do you think any of their fans thought they would get to wembley when they were bottom of the table?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:28 pm

I'm sure JR would like to see Field Mill full of Glory Hunters as it would help to pay for a very expensive manager and his large backroom team, his expensively assembled squad and very unnecessary and extravagant overnight stays.

Steve Evans needs to stop being so precious and get on with winning football matches which he is very well paid to do. If necessary then he can use the booing fans to create a "bunker mentality" mindset which Paul Cox was very good at doing. It might even help to bring him and the players closer together.

Steve Evans also should have a thick skin as he is used to constant abuse from away fans. He is also prepared to scream and shout at his players and blame them in his post match interviews. Take a long hard look at your self Steve and ask the question "How can I get better as a manager?" and "How can I get this group of players playing better and winning consistently?". Also remember that little old Mansfield Town fans are not just going to roll over and have their "tummies tickled" just for the honour of having you as manager. We expect results in the same way as Chesterfield, Scunthorpe, Fleetwood, Shrewsbury, Bury, Northampton, Oxford, Portsmouth and Doncaster fans did when their manager had a large budget to win promotion from League 2. If we only do it via the play offs like Fleetwood then that will be a massive success. Anything else is a massive failure. Your past record shows you can do the job. Go and do it and get that tenth (ninth) promotion.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:29 pm

It's not the done thing though for someone representing the club calling the fans because some decided the performance didn't match value for money. Any other type of business the owners just might have a word with the manager these paying customers pay everyone wages n rightly or wrongly can vent their feelings on how they feel.

I like Steve Evans but it's time to stop living on past history n start delivering for Mansfield Town. Stop looking for excuses on poor games n start finding ways to turn games into wins
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Keep it Simple » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:56 pm

tmwilson wrote:First time I've come on since yesterday's game and I can't believe what I'm reading . Total over reaction on both sides .
I thought we played quite well . The end product wasn't there but we had lots of possession and we did have a few cances .
I will have to admit that I was surprised and embarrassed about the reaction our players got . I could understand if we were lingering near the bottom or lost five on the bounce , but we are a few points off the play offs . It's our second defeat and after that excellent result against County tge players then get a reaction like that from our so called fans . I'm glad that most either applauded or made to reaction .

Some of our payers put a good shift iso is it fair to boo and hurl abuse to the whole team ?
Maybe Evans should have thicker skin and kept quiet but why should he ?
Me along with other fans I spoke to fellt the same as Evans .

I dont agree with this rubbish about he has made a rod for his own back . . Yes he has promised us promotion . It's October fgs. Exeter were bottom of the league this time last season and ended up in the play offs .
If he fails in his promise then he should be judged . He has said on many occasions it's a marathon not a sprint. If we are that poor and other teams are that great then why are we only a few points behind ?
It's the first year I haven't brought a season ticket for years although I will go to every home game .
I'd rather fork more money out in the long run than sit week in , week out surrounded by the same morons .
Supporters who shout abuse , then have the nerve to moan about owners , managers and players who react back .
No doubt if we win the next three games they will be kissing his backside .

Great post , and quite right, people paying to go all that way to boo when the result hasn't gone as they would want is insane.
I do have a couple of concerns like a fair few on here, but booing?!
SE is quite right it is early in the season still although not that early , and there are signs that we will be a good upper mid table team rather than setting the league on fire, I think we know that's not going to happen.
It's the manner or style of play or rather lack of it that is concerning, and the thin hide of the manager. Reacting to a few boos like that, as ridiculous as it sounds they were, is a bit weak. He knows it goes with the job.
Get on with the job, show us what you're made of and get back on the horse.
Keep it Simple
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:28 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I'm sure JR would like to see Field Mill full of Glory Hunters as it would help to pay for a very expensive manager and his large backroom team, his expensively assembled squad and very unnecessary and extravagant overnight stays.

Steve Evans needs to stop being so precious and get on with winning football matches which he is very well paid to do. If necessary then he can use the booing fans to create a "bunker mentality" mindset which Paul Cox was very good at doing. It might even help to bring him and the players closer together.

Steve Evans also should have a thick skin as he is used to constant abuse from away fans. He is also prepared to scream and shout at his players and blame them in his post match interviews. Take a long hard look at your self Steve and ask the question "How can I get better as a manager?" and "How can I get this group of players playing better and winning consistently?". Also remember that little old Mansfield Town fans are not just going to roll over and have their "tummies tickled" just for the honour of having you as manager. We expect results in the same way as Chesterfield, Scunthorpe, Fleetwood, Shrewsbury, Bury, Northampton, Oxford, Portsmouth and Doncaster fans did when their manager had a large budget to win promotion. If we only do it via the play offs like Fleetwood then that will be a massive success. Anything else is a massive failure. Your past record shows you can do the job. Go and do it and get that tenth (ninth) promotion.

Well said Darren, to some it appears Evans is untouchable, to date his performance as manager has been very, very, very average.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:33 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I'm sure JR would like to see Field Mill full of Glory Hunters as it would help to pay for a very expensive manager and his large backroom team, his expensively assembled squad and very unnecessary and extravagant overnight stays.

Steve Evans also should have a thick skin as he is used to constant abuse from away fans. He is also prepared to scream and shout at his players and blame them in his post match interviews. Take a long hard look at your self Steve and ask the question "How can I get better as a manager?" and "How can I get this group of players playing better and winning consistently?". Also remember that little old Mansfield Town fans are not just going to roll over and have their "tummies tickled" just for the honour of having you as manager. We expect results in the same way as Chesterfield, Scunthorpe, Fleetwood, Shrewsbury, Bury, Northampton, Oxford, Portsmouth and Doncaster fans did when their manager had a large budget to win promotion. If we only do it via the play offs like Fleetwood then that will be a massive success. Anything else is a massive failure. Your past record shows you can do the job. Go and do it and get that tenth (ninth) promotion.

Good post.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:38 pm

Rob wrote:

Well said Darren, to some it appears Evans is untouchable, to date his performance as manager has been very, very, very average.

Rob I've been contemplating buying Ben Smith's book. I read through the reviews yesterday and all that mentioned Evans came to the same conclusion, tactically, formations etc he's clueless, some on here have worked this out already.
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum