{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Does Evans' "Glory Hunters" remark define a watershed?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Does Evans' "Glory Hunters" remark define a watershed?

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:43 pm

I have learned over the many years that I have been a Stags fan to deal with disappointment.

I fully recognise that it's easy to get carried away on the bow-wave of unrealistic expectation.

I know that we are going to lose games during the season.

I accept that there has been some modicum of progress since the worst of Murray's tenure.

I can even accept that many players are to some extent simply mercenaries with little or no emotional attachment to our beloved club.

It took a while for me to believe that John Radford was "the real thing". I will also admit that I was as dismissive of Carolyn - believing as many still do that she was a "gimmick" or just "eye-candy". I have since become convinced that she has qualities that defy gender stereotype.

What I won't put up with is a con-man. We had a financial con-man in Haslam.

Now it seems that we have a manager unworthy of the faith we have been placing in him.
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Re: Does Evans' "Glory Hunters" remark define a watershed?

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:50 pm

The very same conman that manages a team who has only lost 3 in 12? And is 2 points off the play offs and 5 points off 3rd?

And we’re only in october??
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby stuhall1973 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:51 pm

Give your head a shake. We are Mansfield Town, and Evans has every right to question the fans, we aren't Man City.

Some need a reality check.
stuhall1973
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:56 pm

stuhall1973 wrote:Give your head a shake. We are Mansfield Town, and Evans has every right to question the fans, we aren't Man City.

If Evans has a right to question the fans, surely they have a right to question him, and for him to get so bent out of shape over a few fans shouting rubbish, which has probably happened to him every time his team has lost over his whole career is ridiculous.

He's either angling for a move, or trying to create a siege mentality with him and the players against the fans.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:57 pm

Here come the conspiracy theories.

He ain’t goin nowhere
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:01 pm

stuhall1973 wrote:Give your head a shake. We are Mansfield Town, and Evans has every right to question the fans, we aren't Man City.

You clearly didn't go then.

You had to be there to believe how poor it was, they weren't playing for the shirt and didn't seem bothered in the slightest today.

In fairness you are right I do need to give my head a shake, spending over £100 to watch a team that didn't care or turn up. I know we aren't Manchester City I don't expect total football, its league two FGS, heck id even sacrifice average football for a team that put in a shift and plays for the shirt.

We aren't going up or even play-offs if we play like that every game away from home.
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stuhall1973 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:06 pm

Evans didn't go the Colchester vs Gillingham game mid week as he didn't want to be seen there, so why would he make a comment in order to go there?

Let's face it, some have always been a bit over the top with criticism, yes today wasn't great but we're all supposed to be in this together, and telling players they are raspberries, isnt great for any manager is it.
stuhall1973
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:10 pm

I rate evans as a manager. I just think its blaringly obvious where his shopping list fell short. We need a proper striker who can feed on scraps when we have an off day. Today was an off day.

Hemmings isnt the answer. That 600k for akinde looks value for money right now.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:12 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:I rate evans as a manager. I just think its blaringly obvious where his shopping list fell short. We need a proper striker who can feed on scraps when we have an off day. Today was an off day.

Given he's not played a minute so far we would have been no better off.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:16 pm

I've tried giving my head a shake. I still feel the same. I don't expect everyone to agree with me.
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Waggy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:21 pm

For Evans to go to Gillingham he'd demand a massive budget and wage. JR would also demand massive compensation. Have they got that?
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Waggy wrote:For Evans to go to Gillingham he'd demand a massive budget and wage. JR would also demand massive compensation. Have they got that?

no! he won’t be going there
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Waggy wrote:For Evans to go to Gillingham he'd demand a massive budget and wage. JR would also demand massive compensation. Have they got that?

You're right. Gillingham will need a massive bucket. :)
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:26 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:I rate evans as a manager. I just think its blaringly obvious where his shopping list fell short. We need a proper striker who can feed on scraps when we have an off day. Today was an off day.

Given he's not played a minute so far we would have been no better off.

Yeah but you get my point.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:49 pm

Ironically he is the only manager we have ever had that I can recall singling out his own players and directly apportioning blame.

Seems odd that he's getting upset by fans criticism when it's exactly how he behaves after every loss.
We think the same things at the same time
We just can't do anything about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Chris M » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:56 pm

Steve Evans has been one of the most animated managers in the forty years I have been attending. Always standing up living every moment of each game. Today I did not notice him standing at all. Every time I looked across he was sat arms folded. In my opinion he looked like he had already decided to move on before today. Turning on supporters who travel everywhere to support his assembled team is a punch below the belt as far as I am concerned. Managers, players and chairmen all move on at some point. It is only the supporters that remain as a constant. What hurt today was that the performance was unrecognisable from last week where every player looked desperate to win.
Chris M
First Team
First Team

Postby west country stag » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:58 pm

Evans is a mardy raspberry , that doesnt like to hear home truths . Spit his dummy out big time .
If he / players cant take critism .. walk the walk !!@
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
west country stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Grendon Stag » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:07 pm

Chris M wrote:Steve Evans has been one of the most animated managers in the forty years I have been attending. Always standing up living every moment of each game. Today I did not notice him standing at all. Every time I looked across he was sat arms folded. In my opinion he looked like he had already decided to move on before today. Turning on supporters who travel everywhere to support his assembled team is a punch below the belt as far as I am concerned. Managers, players and chairmen all move on at some point. It is only the supporters that remain as a constant. What hurt today was that the performance was unrecognisable from last week where every player looked desperate to win.

1st half he never moved and I said to my mate his body language doesn't look good. However 2nd half he never sat down and was his usual vociferous self which totally threw my theory out of the window
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Keep it Simple » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:17 pm

Chris M wrote:Steve Evans has been one of the most animated managers in the forty years I have been attending. Always standing up living every moment of each game. Today I did not notice him standing at all. Every time I looked across he was sat arms folded. In my opinion he looked like he had already decided to move on before today. Turning on supporters who travel everywhere to support his assembled team is a punch below the belt as far as I am concerned. Managers, players and chairmen all move on at some point. It is only the supporters that remain as a constant. What hurt today was that the performance was unrecognisable from last week where every player looked desperate to win.

A very telling post that Chris. If he does go, then blaming the fans would be the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard from a manager in all my life.
I've actually had enough of his constant threats and criticisms. It's never ever his fault, his remarks today are a classic 'pull up the drawbridge ' tactic. With the budget he's had, not just this season remember, we should be doing much better, and primarily I mean performance wise, because as most of us can see, it's been dire stuff.
I am convinced he will make an attempt to leave this week, and again JR will do his utmost to keep him, whether long term that would be the best for this football club, I'm not sure.
I want him to succeed, but really he needs to take a look at himself rather than blaming everyone else.
Keep it Simple
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby london amber stag » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:26 pm

I did not boo or chant ‘rubbish’ at the end of the game today so I do resent being told by Mr Evans that I support the Stags for glory days. In my 50 years of support, we have spent one season in the Championship! The glory days have been few and far between.
My thoughts as I left the ground today, were confused as to how the team who battled to comprehensively beat Notts County, huffed and puffed against Colchester. The lack of consistency needs addressing and quickly.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby grufti » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:31 pm

Just got home to Leeds - we played very well until they scored, it's not Evan's fault we keep missing loads of chances. Those who chanted 'what a load of rubbish' at the end please stay away, you're not helping anybody. PS - I was in line with the 2nd goal and thought it was offside, that goal killed the game really, plus our finishing.
Up The Stags
grufti
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:32 pm

The away loss today is unacceptable whether players or SE running it
Agree what's got into this team and it's inconsistency and was this another namby pampy overnight stop
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:34 pm

tillydog123 wrote:The away loss today is unacceptable whether players or SE running it
Agree what's got into this team and it's inconsistency and was this another namby pampy overnight stop

Away loss unacceptable?

And we say county and luton fans are billy big boots...
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby chimney » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:41 pm

Yes, he shuffles the midfield like a pack of cards, and as someone said, we are playing as a bunch of individuals. He doesn't know his best team and continues to select a bang out of form striker. Having a go at the fans was a smokescreen, borne out of his frustration at a poor showing. Only 3 players came over as far as I could see and they got a half hearted clap, the rest slunk away, and a dozen fans out of 300 shouted rubbish.
I only watch Corrie to see Eva's fantastic rack
chimney
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:08 am

Just read his remark in the Chad about glory days.
Never read anything so galling in all my life.
Yes, Steve , Id like a bit of glory, seeing that its been in short supply in my almost 50 years of watching the Stags and no, I dont expect to be promoted by December.
From what I've seen so far this season, its going to be a while yet before I see some more.
Your players,your team selection and your tactics are continually coming up short and it is forever the fault of somebody else. Fans, referees, etc. are used as shields to deflect from poor team selection, setup and performance. Start doing what you were bought here to do and cut out all the crap .
bigalstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum