{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet meltdown

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stagsnet meltdown

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:53 pm

The person's views I'd be most interested in at this point in time is JRs.

Oh to be a fly on the wall in the Radford establishment this evening :D
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:55 pm

Waggy wrote:He's spent a lot of money and it's not working - this is his get out chance. Go to Gillingham, with the notion that the fans forced him out/going to a bigger club!!!

There were a dozen fans singing what a load of rubbish. Some stayed and clapped the half dozen who came across - they were the ones who have been a success - Mirf, Pearce, Rose. The rest left without doing either

After 20 plus years in management, is SE really that thin skinned?

how is it not working when we’re 2 points off the play offs in october?

Only lost 3 and we’ve won all of our local league clashes and you’re suggesting he leaves?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:14 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Stags 2002 wrote:
The One wrote:Did not go today, at start of season did not expect to win every game. Why all the vitriol when we lose. ?

The lack of effort, passion and a desire to succeed.

Put in effort and lose i'll take it on the chin. Take the Luton game as an example despite the final result (felt like a loss at the time) the players couldn't be faulted we expected to push on from it but haven't.

The players set that standard, no one else.

Only key difference is Byrom and Butcher. Been very disappointed with Butcher so far and never thought id say we need Byrom back urgently.

Should also add Benning was in the team that day and Mellis started the game.

I can't agree with you about a lack of effort from the players. I don't think there was a lack of effort at all. Lack of quality on some occasions, certainly some mistakes, some missed chances, perhaps too many long balls on occasions. But not lack of effort in my opinion.

Martin it maybe that the tactics employed take away from the visible efforts put in by the team.

In some ways its like 11 players playing in silo, there is limited understanding between them on occasions. I lost count of how many how long balls we played to Rose and Hemmings (who aren't the tallest) it just doesn't work.

We seem to be completely by passing the midfield, and when they do get it regularly went backwards to the defence (to the frustration of many).

My comments about effort maybe be overstated but i find it extremely frustrating that we cant make space from a throwing never mind for a through ball (which is why on occasions it goes backwards). Some players just find it easier to play musical statues and don't even attempt to free up space.

I said on another thread Macdonald (never gave up, my MOTM), Mirfin (solid and won nearly every header that came near him) and Pearce played well and did turn up today so my criticism isn't aimed at them.
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Foxy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:30 pm

im sick of corners that go straight to the keeper, also floated crosses into the box when there is hardly anyone there. We don't pose much of an aerial threat in the penalty box do we?
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:37 pm

Steve Evans' summary of the game is correct.

Mansfield dominated possession for most of the game (tick)
Mansfield did not take their chances (tick)
Mansfield dominated for first 25 minutes (tick)
Mansfield should have taken the lead (tick)
Colchester's first goal from a free kick was against the run of play (tick)
Colchester's first goal was a little lucky due to a deflection (tick)
Mansfield could have had a penalty (tick)
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Frontrowhero » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:39 pm

just listened to that interview and it's pathetic Steve. It's another away loss, what sort of reaction do you expect man get a grip. He's just put the first nail in his coffin criticising the fans that travelled, stags fans have been fully behind him and so has the John and Carolyn. To say what he did is a kick in the face to everyone associated at the club
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:41 pm

Does seem the SE dream not working out currently a lot of blame must go on to the players though
Illusions of grandeur spring to mind another overnight waste of cash down the pan
Sorry JR and CR u done your best but think u have been sold a pup now !!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby sw19stag » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:41 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Steve Evans' summary of the game is correct.

Mansfield dominated possession for most of the game (tick)
Mansfield did not take their chances (tick)
Mansfield dominated for first 25 minutes (tick)
Mansfield should have taken the lead (tick)
Colchester's first goal from a free kick was against the run of play (tick)
Colchester's first goal was a little lucky due to a deflection (tick)
Mansfield could have had a penalty (tick)

It matters not a jot.
They scored twice and we didn't score.
The rest is immaterial.
sw19stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Waggy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:42 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Waggy wrote:He's spent a lot of money and it's not working - this is his get out chance. Go to Gillingham, with the notion that the fans forced him out/going to a bigger club!!!

There were a dozen fans singing what a load of rubbish. Some stayed and clapped the half dozen who came across - they were the ones who have been a success - Mirf, Pearce, Rose. The rest left without doing either

After 20 plus years in management, is SE really that thin skinned?

how is it not working when we’re 2 points off the play offs in october?

Only lost 3 and we’ve won all of our local league clashes and you’re suggesting he leaves?

where have i suggested he leaves? I'm suggesting his mindset
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:56 pm

The questions I would ask Steve Evans would be about his strategy when signing players.

Why did he not sign another big target man when he likes his team to play long balls forward and then press to win the second ball? Should he not have done a bit of moneyball analysis of lower league players and signed someone who wins lots of headers instead of just relying on Danny Rose?
What style of play would suit Kane Hemmings best as he is generally a first choice striker?
Why did he sign Jimmy Spencer when he does not play him? What role was he expected to play? What style of play would suit him best?
Why did he not sign another defensive midfield player especially as we have lots of wide players and attacking midfield players?
Why sign Callum Butcher who is an attacking midfield player and then play him as a defensive midfield player?
If you are going to switch to wing backs would it be better to bring on Hayden White and Mal Benning?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:58 pm

It's a disappointing result, but unsurprising.
Steve Evans interview appears to provide little comfort.
The text highlights I followed on BBC implied Mansfield created plenty of chances, but failed to convert them.
I understand the frustrations of the fans who travelled, and spent good money to watch the match.
The message board is the place to vent those frustrations, so appreciate all the views posted.
Personally, from an outside perspective, the team appear to be creating chances but not dominating matches. As favourites at the beginning of the season (smash the league) I think the level of expectation was set too high.
It's only October. Find the correct team/formation Mr Evans. Top 6 by Christmas. Promoted against Chesterfield. All is forgiven...... probably.
Gruff
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:16 am

Stags 2002 wrote:The person's views I'd be most interested in at this point in time is JRs.

The first thing I'd do if I was JR is cut out the overnight stops and tell him you have to earn them!!!
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:26 am

Don't let the door hit you on your way out, Steve.

No one is bigger than the club.
Panatha mou, se aghapo, opou ki an pezis panda tha s' akoloutho.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Alwaysa5tag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:26 am

Fans need to get a grip fgs!

I'm embarrassed by our supporters sometimes, everytime we lose a game the dummies come out.

We did people expect? Go through the season unbeaten? Ridiculous!

Look at last seasons table, all 3 automatically promoted teams lost 11 games, we have lost 3 in just over a quarter, so if those stats continue, it would be roughly that. Slightly behind the total points percentage but nothing that can't be quickly rectified.

We are not in a bad position, just on the outside looking in and well in touch with the leading pack.

Evans out? Seriously??? Can't believe people even suggest that! Utter nonsense!! His track record speaks for itself and anyone who thinks that won't be bumps and disappointments along the way really need to give their head a shake!!

This IS a new team and despite what people think it does and will take time to gel, performances havent been magnificent and we still sit on the edge of things.

Honestly all you keyboard warriors should either get behind your team or do one!!
Alwaysa5tag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Random Hero » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 am

Alwaysa5tag wrote:Fans need to get a grip fgs!

I'm embarrassed by our supporters sometimes, everytime we lose a game the dummies come out.

Look at last seasons table, all 3 automatically promoted teams lost 11 games, we have lost 3 in just over a quarter, so if those stats continue, it would be roughly that. Slightly behind the total points percentage but nothing that can't be quickly rectified.

We are not in a bad position, just on the outside looking in and well in touch with the leading pack.

Evans out? Seriously??? Can't believe people even suggest that! Utter nonsense!! His track record speaks for itself and anyone who thinks that won't be bumps and disappointments along the way really need to give their head a shake!!

This IS a new team and despite what people think it does and will take time to gel, performances havent been magnificent and we still sit on the edge of things.

Honestly all you keyboard warriors should either get behind your team or do one!!

Sad
Panatha mou, se aghapo, opou ki an pezis panda tha s' akoloutho.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:28 am

I’m sure the performance could have been better but you can’t win every game, so anyone booing should give their heads a shake. That’s a ridiculous thing to do in this position.

Evans, however, needs to stop thinking that he’s here as a favour and we should be honoured. He’s an employee. He’s not bigger than the club and he should realise his place. The comments he made were unhelpful and will not endear him when the next defeat comes.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:33 am

bellwhiff wrote:I’m sure the performance could have been better but you can’t win every game, so anyone booing should give their heads a shake. That’s a ridiculous thing to do in this position.

Evans, however, needs to stop thinking that he’s here as a favour and we should be honoured. He’s an employee. He’s not bigger than the club and he should realise his place. The comments he made were unhelpful and will not endear him when the next defeat comes.

Pretty much spot on.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby chimney » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:45 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Stags 2002 wrote:The person's views I'd be most interested in at this point in time is JRs.

The first thing I'd do if I was JR is cut out the overnight stops and tell him you have to earn them!!![/quot

Strange to travel on a Monday for a Tuesday night game, young men could get a bit bored and too relaxed, Cheltenham was a horror show
I only watch Corrie to see Eva's fantastic rack
chimney
Manager
Manager

Postby Waggy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:17 am

I don't think it's yesterdays performance that has annoyed a lot of fans, but Evan's reaction afterwards and his threat of leaving. If he stays are we going to bow down to him every time another club comes sniffing?
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Grendon Stag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:26 am

What did people expect?? Well I can't comment on others but personally I didn't expect for the last 2 away games to come away from Cheltenham and Colchester feeling like I'd been kicked in the gonads for 180 minutes.

Oh and I'm not sure fans are wanting Evans out I think it's more like Evans wanting out.
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stag861 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:55 am

In the last ten years I've been to over 80% of away games. Five of these was watching the Stags at places like Lewes, Ebbsfleet, Bath and Hayes and Yedding. Yes I was a Glory Hunter. The glory of promotion back into the league. Every summer I get my season ticket and start to plan the journeys for the away games, full of the expectation of a great season. It's normally Christmas when I get despondent and groan at the thought of cold, wet Tuesday night games many miles away, but i still pack my scarf and hat and away I go.
This year we had the mighty Steve Evans saying that he would bring us instant promotions and glory days. So here I am back from Colchester thinking "what has happened?" Those of us at Cheltenham and Colchester saw two very poor games from us with a route one tactic that didn't work. I suppose SE, if he stays, will screw more money out of JR for the big striker which we obviously need with this style of play.
stag861
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:49 pm

stag861 wrote:In the last ten years I've been to over 80% of away games. Five of these was watching the Stags at places like Lewes, Ebbsfleet, Bath and Hayes and Yedding. Yes I was a Glory Hunter. The glory of promotion back into the league. Every summer I get my season ticket and start to plan the journeys for the away games, full of the expectation of a great season. It's normally Christmas when I get despondent and groan at the thought of cold, wet Tuesday night games many miles away, but i still pack my scarf and hat and away I go.
This year we had the mighty Steve Evans saying that he would bring us instant promotions and glory days. So here I am back from Colchester thinking "what has happened?" Those of us at Cheltenham and Colchester saw two very poor games from us with a route one tactic that didn't work. I suppose SE, if he stays, will screw more money out of JR for the big striker which we obviously need with this style of play.

Keep your pecker up, matey! :D
Mr Evans is on borrowed time
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:29 pm

bellwhiff wrote:I’m sure the performance could have been better but you can’t win every game, so anyone booing should give their heads a shake. That’s a ridiculous thing to do in this position.

I disagree with 90% of what you write Belly, but you've pretty much hit the nail on the head here.
We think the same things at the same time
We just can't do anything about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Beano wrote:

I disagree with 90% of what you write Belly, but you've pretty much hit the nail on the head here.

Makes you feel dirty doesn't it? :lol:
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Could be worse, we could have travelled to Lithuania to watch England.

The next 90 minutes of the national side may actually be worth a meltdown!
I am Spartacus
Youth Team
Youth Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum