{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Hemmings

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Hemmings

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:06 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:Any other loan signing who's picked regularly would have at least scored by now wouldn't they?

He's turning into one of the worst striker loan signings in my 44 years of watching and there's been some bad ones

No one is as bad as ross dyer

At least he scored!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:22 pm

Ross wasn't a loan signing though, he was permanent which made it even worse as we couldn't give him back. At least we can give Hemmings back and look for someone who might get 3 or 4 a season.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:52 pm

Unless he scores 5-10 between now and January then I assume he’ll be off back to Oxford and JR will get the cheque book back out. Wouldn’t be surprised if he signs 2 or 3 more in Jan.

For me Butcher has been a poor signing. I struggle to see what role he plays in midfield.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:44 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Unless he scores 5-10 between now and January then I assume he’ll be off back to Oxford and JR will get the cheque book back out. Wouldn’t be surprised if he signs 2 or 3 more in Jan.

For me Butcher has been a poor signing. I struggle to see what role he plays in midfield.

The disappointing thing with Butcher is that it means he leaves Mellis out, dumbfounding?
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:21 pm

Mellis over butcher for me any day of the week, but he insists on starting butcher. Do we have a Jamie Mcguire type player who sticks to players and gives them a real hard time all game? I don’t think so. We’ve also missed byrom a lot, his set peices are miles ahead of anyone else’s and we don’t have a cemented midfield, we’ve got atkinson coming in, digby going in and out, mellis in and out but butcher always starts
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:07 pm

Butcher as ex Millwall player looked a good buy for me but he has not come up with anything which show's his pedigree and agree Mellis should be first on team sheet
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:19 pm

I'm not impressed with Hemmings at all.
As I mentioned at the beginning of the season: Steve Evans has messed up big-time with his choice of strikers. Danny Rose is doing really well at the moment, but Angol, Hemmings, Spencer and Sterling-James just don't seem to be good enough. They aren't any better (or even as good as) Green & Coulthirst - who were deemed to be 'not good enough' last season.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Grendon Stag » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:54 pm

Vice President wrote:I'm not impressed with Hemmings at all.
As I mentioned at the beginning of the season: Steve Evans has messed up big-time with his choice of strikers. Danny Rose is doing really well at the moment, but Angol, Hemmings, Spencer and Sterling-James just don't seem to be good enough. They aren't any better (or even as good as) Green & Coulthirst - who were deemed to be 'not good enough' last season.

Oh God not Matt Green again!! The bloke that was last seen in Pearces back pocket. He's had his day let it go. As for Coulthirst he'd have been a decent player if he learned to look up and pass to a team mate.
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Herts Stag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:54 am

Just can't believe that the start of this post was made by people who obviously didn't go to the Colchester match. Feel sorry for him because he is feeding off scraps and at the moment we are far too narrow and he is not getting the support of a disjointed midfield. Alex MacDonald is supposed to give us width but more often than not he is plaiyng in midfield. Johnny Hunt is a defensive full back giving no added threat down the wings. He certainly wasn't the lazy, disinterested person described by many on this board. I hope he comes good but there are other issues that need addressing that will help him.
Herts Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby adamstag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:29 am

Herts Stag wrote:Just can't believe that the start of this post was made by people who obviously didn't go to the Colchester match. Feel sorry for him because he is feeding off scraps and at the moment we are far too narrow and he is not getting the support of a disjointed midfield. Alex MacDonald is supposed to give us width but more often than not he is plaiyng in midfield. Johnny Hunt is a defensive full back giving no added threat down the wings. He certainly wasn't the lazy, disinterested person described by many on this board. I hope he comes good but there are other issues that need addressing that will help him.

Why would that make a difference? I didn't go to Colchester, but i've seen enough of him in the matches i've been to that suggests that he isn't what we'd be looking for if we have aspirations for the top 7.

It's not like he's not had chances - he missed 3 elementary sitters against Notts County - his fitness and effort had improved markedly, but his ability - like controlling the ball and finishing chances remained poor, at best.

As said elsewhere, we all hope the lad comes good for both him and the side, but how much more chances can you give someone? He's certainly not as good as Angol.

Given the fanfare needing a new forward, he's been a complete disappointment - of that there is little argument
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Herts Stag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:46 pm

Its simple Adam, don't give your view on a performance you didn't witness. How can you condemn someone without being there?
Herts Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby oldweststander » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:27 pm

Still think Hemmings will come good.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Grendon Stag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:31 pm

adamstag wrote:
Herts Stag wrote:Just can't believe that the start of this post was made by people who obviously didn't go to the Colchester match. Feel sorry for him because he is feeding off scraps and at the moment we are far too narrow and he is not getting the support of a disjointed midfield. Alex MacDonald is supposed to give us width but more often than not he is plaiyng in midfield. Johnny Hunt is a defensive full back giving no added threat down the wings. He certainly wasn't the lazy, disinterested person described by many on this board. I hope he comes good but there are other issues that need addressing that will help him.

Why would that make a difference? I didn't go to Colchester, but i've seen enough of him in the matches i've been to that suggests that he isn't what we'd be looking for if we have aspirations for the top 7.

It's not like he's not had chances - he missed 3 elementary sitters against Notts County - his fitness and effort had improved markedly, but his ability - like controlling the ball and finishing chances remained poor, at best.

As said elsewhere, we all hope the lad comes good for both him and the side, but how much more chances can you give someone? He's certainly not as good as Angol.

Given the fanfare needing a new forward, he's been a complete disappointment - of that there is little argument

Maybe if we played to his and Angols strengths then we might just get the best out of them both. They are definitely better than we have seen when we constantly bombard them with balls falling out of the sky!
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:40 pm

Herts Stag wrote:Its simple Adam, don't give your view on a performance you didn't witness. How can you condemn someone without being there?

As said, i've seen enough - so one performance (of which Martin gave him a 6) isn't going to change anything really, is it?

Hopefully the lad scores a hat-trick on Saturday and puts all this to bed
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:35 pm

adamstag wrote:
Herts Stag wrote:Its simple Adam, don't give your view on a performance you didn't witness. How can you condemn someone without being there?

As said, i've seen enough - so one performance (of which Martin gave him a 6) isn't going to change anything really, is it?

Hopefully the lad scores a hat-trick on Saturday and puts all this to bed

It certainly would! ;)
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:33 pm

yes I did go, thanks.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:42 pm

Of course when he does go back he will be scoring for fun. Just like Kee and Shaq. We're doomed Norman.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:53 pm

I didn't go to Colchester, either.

At the matches I have attended, I have witnessed in Hemmings a player desperately trying to justify his reputation and being thwarted by poor service, bad luck, a little under-endeavour at times and, as time rolled on, a consequent loss of confidence.

I feel for him and hope that he scores soon - as I'm sure that what we've seen so far does not accurately reflect the lad's ability.
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:15 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:I didn't go to Colchester, either.

At the matches I have attended, I have witnessed in Hemmings a player desperately trying to justify his reputation and being thwarted by poor service, bad luck, a little under-endeavour at times and, as time rolled on, a consequent loss of confidence.

I feel for him and hope that he scores soon - as I'm sure that what we've seen so far does not accurately reflect the lad's ability.

He desperately needs a goal, a tap in, anything! I feel like when he gets one hopefully the rest will follow.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:26 pm

Grendon Stag wrote:
Vice President wrote:I'm not impressed with Hemmings at all.

Oh God not Matt Green again!! The bloke that was last seen in Pearces back pocket. He's had his day let it go. As for Coulthirst he'd have been a decent player if he learned to look up and pass to a team mate.

You have missed my point Grendon. I am not advocating that we bring back Matt Green & Coulthirst - I am merely pointing out that if they were deemed to be 'not good enough' ... where does that leave the likes of Hemmings, Angol, Spencer & Sterling-James?
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:19 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:Any other loan signing who's picked regularly would have at least scored by now wouldn't they?

He's turning into one of the worst striker loan signings in my 44 years of watching and there's been some bad ones

Shouldn't you be out attending a stoning, Clanger? :P

Harsh mate - he's got a hell of a long way to go before he can claim that accolade. Don't you remember McAliskey, Andrews, Tate, Palmer, Smeltz, Dieseruvwe, or has all evidence been burnt once they've been lynched? :lol:

Imo he's got more about him than the above list combined, BUT he needs a little luck, consistent effort AND a style that suits his qualities - otherwise he'll probably end up as another one on the list of 'we should never have let them go' candidates. Kee is a prime example of someone who turned things around and showed his worth
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Herts Stag » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:32 pm

Well said Mutiny. We have had far worse. I am sure it will turn round for him but patience is something lacking in many Staggies who just love to have whipping boy or two of three.
Herts Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:01 pm

Herts Stag wrote:Well said Mutiny. We have had far worse. I am sure it will turn round for him but patience is something lacking in many Staggies who just love to have whipping boy or two of three.

He'd get the same treatment at any club he was at. He was supposedly Evo's marquee signing and to date he's been no better than Ross Dyer and that's saying something!
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:12 am

He starts scoring from now til January he goes back. He doesn't score we have the chance to keep him on maybe lower wages.
Hope he doesn't score we keep him and we are 2 points off play offs.
I think then we will see the best of him so he gets next seasons contract.
The stags January run in is legendary
Top 3 I will go for second.
If play offs our manager at the moment as never lost one?
Still don't like him (Evans)
Didn't like Palmer but wanted him to play.
chip63
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:12 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:

Shouldn't you be out attending a stoning, Clanger? :P

Harsh mate - he's got a hell of a long way to go before he can claim that accolade. Don't you remember McAliskey, Andrews, Tate, Palmer, Smeltz, Dieseruvwe, or has all evidence been burnt once they've been lynched? :lol:

Imo he's got more about him than the above list combined, BUT he needs a little luck, consistent effort AND a style that suits his qualities - otherwise he'll probably end up as another one on the list of 'we should never have let them go' candidates. Kee is a prime example of someone who turned things around and showed his worth

I don't think all of those were loanees, even so I think they all at least bagged one, he doesn't look like scoring. A header laid on a plate two yards out and he fluffed it Rose had to finish it off :lol:
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum