{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Danny Rose

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Danny Rose

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:08 pm

stagmanrob wrote:I still think Evans wants James Hanson.

We play direct up to strikers who aren't target men, a style of play that doesn't fit our personnel at all.

Hanson fits the bill, and he was wanted before Hemmings.

Why oh why he pursues a style that doesnt fit his players is bonkers. We need to get more goals out of dan as he clearly has goals in him.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:37 pm

stagmanrob wrote:I still think Evans wants James Hanson.

We play direct up to strikers who aren't target men, a style of play that doesn't fit our personnel at all.

Hanson fits the bill, and he was wanted before Hemmings.

That may be the case, but it doesn't necessarily mean we will land him. Both Blackburn and Scunthorpe were interested in him in the last transfer window.

One thing for sure if Hemmimgs doesn't start scoring (although he has now broken his duck) a replacement will be found in January.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:53 pm

What we know is that Oxford can recall Hemmings in January if they want to. What we do not know is if we can send Hemmings back in January if we want to.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:29 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:What we know is that Oxford can recall Hemmings in January if they want to. What we do not know is if we can send Hemmings back in January if we want to.

Ok. But it seems a bit one sided to me.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:39 pm

nick_stags wrote:
Rob wrote:
BigGuy wrote:How quickly it is forgotten that Murray played Rose on the left wing!

He may have signed him but didn't know where to play him.

Unlike Evans who wasn't picking him at all. Murray, sadly, failed with us but compared to Evans was given a small budget and achieved similar results in similar style (ie poor) - I would argue that despite his failure, the players Murray signed on lower wages are better than the ones signed by Evans. The apologists for our poor season continue to surprise and sadden me. Evans did not see Rose in his first eleven at the start of the season, now he does, not due to managerial brilliance, but due to the fact that the players he signed are simply not as good. Had Evans not had the reputation he has for success, he'd have been sacked by now. Lets hope we see some sort of improvement, soon.

Rose started the first three league games so not sure how you come to that conclusion.

Look at Rose's scoring record since Evans took over, it's very impressive.

Simple Nick, he played the first three games then was dropped and spent the next 6 games on the bench. Only when it became apparent he'd signed duds did he revert to Danny Rose, who should have been playing all along. I said at the time it was who partnered Rose that should have been the question. We are bottom half, generally our performances have been terrible yet you and Bobby claim Evans has made Rose a better player - well if he has it is a shame that so far he has made the former League 1 players worse!

Rose is an excellent footballer and as I have said many times will play higher than League 2 soon, Evans is very fortunate he was already here.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:59 pm

Quite funny that some people on here said 'he wasn't a goalscorer' earlier in the season. Best strike rate in the league :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:05 pm

we just need byrom back.... we cant play football without him it seems and when were not playing football theres no chance anderson and mellis get a look in. Play football and create chances, Danny will score.

Also that Whiteman style player that runs with the ball that were missing, that could be Thomas if he was confident and given a go.
Sedgwick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Rob » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:17 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Quite funny that some people on here said 'he wasn't a goalscorer' earlier in the season. Best strike rate in the league :lol:

Yes indeed. I am pretty sure when I was critical of Evans for not picking Danny the folk above claiming Evans has made him a better player were the same ones saying he was right to leave him out! I'm all for folk being positive, but being positive all the time is just irritating :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:32 pm

I think Danny Rose problem is for a striker he spent too much time either in areas of the pitch that aren’t affective or on the floor.

I think in someways he ran around and tried too hard.

Whether it be Evans or just Danny himself he seems to now be in or around the penalty box and in areas of the pitch where he will get goals and hurt the opposition
Kenwood
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:59 pm

Rob wrote:
BigGuy wrote:How quickly it is forgotten that Murray played Rose on the left wing!

Unlike Evans who wasn't picking him at all. Murray, sadly, failed with us but compared to Evans was given a small budget and achieved similar results in similar style (ie poor) - I would argue that despite his failure, the players Murray signed on lower wages are better than the ones signed by Evans. The apologists for our poor season continue to surprise and sadden me. Evans did not see Rose in his first eleven at the start of the season, now he does, not due to managerial brilliance, but due to the fact that the players he signed are simply not as good. Had Evans not had the reputation he has for success, he'd have been sacked by now. Lets hope we see some sort of improvement, soon.

Sacked by now. :)

Sit down.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:09 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Rob wrote:

Sacked by now. :)

Sit down.

I'm surprised there is enough room for you up Evans jacksie with Bobby and Nick already firmly in position :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:25 pm

I’m ambivalent towards him. I just think that talking of him being sacked by now is radio rental.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:27 am

Rob wrote:
nick_stags wrote:
Rob wrote:

Rose started the first three league games so not sure how you come to that conclusion.

Look at Rose's scoring record since Evans took over, it's very impressive.

Simple Nick, he played the first three games then was dropped and spent the next 6 games on the bench. Only when it became apparent he'd signed duds did he revert to Danny Rose, who should have been playing all along. I said at the time it was who partnered Rose that should have been the question. We are bottom half, generally our performances have been terrible yet you and Bobby claim Evans has made Rose a better player - well if he has it is a shame that so far he has made the former League 1 players worse!

Rose is an excellent footballer and as I have said many times will play higher than League 2 soon, Evans is very fortunate he was already here.

Regarding SE, can you please move one way or the other Rob? Right now i just can't figure out which side of the fence you are with this! :P
Actually, screw the fence, you'd rip it down to get over and have a word at Evans ;)

I see where you're coming from bud, but tbh a manager rarely wins. If he'd bought strikers and not given them a chance fans would moan we were harking back to the Cox era. So, for me at least, SE was right to give his new strikeforce 6 games and then rightly called the changes when it didn't work. Evans is still on square 1 in showing us he can make this team into promotion contenders, but i'm prepared to give him time, given the permutations this oversized squad has. The team size in itself is one of his main failings for me - we have too many players to settle into an organised squad that anticipate each other and play fluently. Nor does it develop team spirit and make us one of those 'never say die' gritty teams that refuse to lie down.

We're at the point of the season where clubs with smaller squads are starting to become cohesive, and Stags are being left behind while our leviathan line-up still assembles into something we can call a winning side. Clubs that acquired 3 or 4 regular 1st teamers are now bedded-in and producing results - i think it'll be another few months till we get close to that. That said, we're sick of cut-price managerial appointments and restrictive player budgets, so we have to give this venture a fair chance and full support. No way could we pay off Evans and afford to reassemble a new squad with the next gaffer, only for our fans to decry that his successor has let the best players go, once they're off playing well elsewhere.

I can already see the thread title to that scenario - 'selling diamonds to buy zircons' :P

Patience Rob, it'll all come good or Evans will hang himself with all the rope he was supplied at the start of the season
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:23 pm

Purely based on results for me Evans is drinking in the last chance saloon, however, JR has been pretty patient with his managers and I think will give Evans much more time than I would - indeed, it would surprise me if JR sacked him this season. Nevertheless, this is a discussion board and whilst I accept my view is not the universal one, if results do not pick up quickly, I would sack him and bring a new man in, certainly by the start of Dec to give him time to assess prior to the deadline opening. Putting my own view of Evans to one side, I am judging him by results and a quick glance at the table will show they are not what was expected by pretty much everyone including Evans himself.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Rob wrote:Purely based on results for me Evans is drinking in the last chance saloon, however, JR has been pretty patient with his managers and I think will give Evans much more time than I would - indeed, it would surprise me if JR sacked him this season. Nevertheless, this is a discussion board and whilst I accept my view is not the universal one, if results do not pick up quickly, I would sack him and bring a new man in, certainly by the start of Dec to give him time to assess prior to the deadline opening. Putting my own view of Evans to one side, I am judging him by results and a quick glance at the table will show they are not what was expected by pretty much everyone including Evans himself.

Ridiculous. From the bloke who defended Watkiss. :)

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:46 pm

Dont think he will get sacked unless we’re in the bottom half of the table come january. Even then it’s gonna cost a lot for JR to get rid of PR and SE.

I bet exeter fans were wanting Tisdale to be sacked when they were bottom of the league, and understandably so.. but look where patience got them. Same thing with Barnsley, they had a new squad i believe and they were bottom at christmas and still got promoted
Last edited by bobbystagsfan on Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:47 pm

Started well tonight.
Don't look like the long lay off has affected him so far.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:57 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Started well tonight.

Eh?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:04 pm

Rob - I think you should be a little bit more patient.
Did you want Cox & Murray (or Dearden, Greaves, Smith etc.) sacked after just 13 games into their first full season, when their teams were no better than 4 points away from the chance of a promotion place?
Steve Evans has clearly got some things wrong (I also question his selection & tactics at times), but this is actually a long-term project. It might take a couple of seasons. (For example, it took Ian Greaves 3 seasons to achieve promotion).
This expectation of 'instant success' is fool-hardy and unrealistic. Furthermore, I doubt that Evans' budget is as big as people say it is. (We know that we couldn't compete with Luton in that regard for example).
Experts believe that it takes 3 seasons to build a successful side, so perhaps a bit more patience is in order.
If we are being threatened with relegation, then fair enough, I would also want a change .... but until then, Steve Evans deserves a fair chance - and that is at least the whole of this season and possibly next season. JR gave him a two and a half year contract for a reason.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Grendon Stag » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:28 pm

Vice President wrote:Rob - I think you should be a little bit more patient.
Did you want Cox & Murray (or Dearden, Greaves, Smith etc.) sacked after just 13 games into their first full season, when their teams were no better than 4 points away from the chance of a promotion place?
Steve Evans has clearly got some things wrong (I also question his selection & tactics at times), but this is actually a long-term project. It might take a couple of seasons. (For example, it took Ian Greaves 3 seasons to achieve promotion).
This expectation of 'instant success' is fool-hardy and unrealistic. Furthermore, I doubt that Evans' budget is as big as people say it is. (We know that we couldn't compete with Luton in that regard for example).
Experts believe that it takes 3 seasons to build a successful side, so perhaps a bit more patience is in order.
If we are being threatened with relegation, then fair enough, I would also want a change .... but until then, Steve Evans deserves a fair chance - and that is at least the whole of this season and possibly next season. JR gave him a two and a half year contract for a reason.

Just out of curiosity how do you know we couldn't compete with Luton? And more importantly you don't honestly think Evans would still be here if he hadn't been given the budget to build a squad to challenge the top 7 do you.
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:01 am

'
Is it? Radford had a long term project in Murray and ditched him, and chucked a load of money at Evans for instant success.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:12 am

Well he gave evans a 2 and a half year deal, I assume he has that long to get us promotion to league one then we’ll go from there is how i see it
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tel » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:Started well tonight.

Eh?

He meant Tuesday night and he's right. Byrom made the world of difference in midfield and his delivery in open play and from dead balls was a big improvement on what we have been seeing the last few weeks.
Tel
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:34 pm

I just wonder whether he is referring to Tottenham’s Danny Rose :D
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:22 pm

It is ridiculous to compare Evans and his massive wage budget with previous managers who have performed well with much less. It is even more ridiculous and foolhardy to suggest that unless threatened with relegation you'd keep him next season! He has had almost a year, spent loads and we are no better for it, things need to improve quickly. It is NOT a long term project, Evans was given the job of winning promotion this season and given resources accordingly. I am pretty certain he won't be here next season if we are still this division.
Rob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum