{ the forum }

Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Free agent strikers

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Free agent strikers

Postby Tre Cool » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:14 pm

We're still looking powderpuff up front as one poster has said in the match thread and we cannot convert penalties with confidence. Danny Rose has scored two match winning goals recently but he can't do it all on his own. Steve Evans has previously said we're well within budget for the season, so would you bring in an experienced head up front to guide what is a young strikeforce?

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/foo ... our-523612

I've seen this article of 5 EFL strikers who are currently free agents and I think 2/3 of them in the list could be a useful acquisition.

Dexter Blackstock has been discussed on here before and from what I know he's a bad egg, Ebanks Blake didn't do much for Chesterfield however Grant Holt at 36 may be 'past it' but possibly worth a punt as a player/coach if he's looking to get into coaching. He might still be based locally from his time at Forest.
Ismail Miller helped Yeovil survive in the Championship and at 30 isn't too old. I don't know much about Barry Corr but either of the could be worth taking on based on what I've read in the above article.
Tre Cool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Free agent strikers

Postby tibby » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:16 pm

Surely Radford isn't going to keep throwing money at it
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:16 pm

I'd be happier if our manager and coaches did some managing and coaching rather than spend more money. This isn't fantasy football.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Waggy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:19 pm

This manager has had the largest financial support of any Mansfield town boss in history. He needs to stand in John Radfords office tomorrow and give a thorough explanation as to what's going on. He should be given 6 games to show good improvement and certainly not given licence to waste more money on uninterested journeymen
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Vice President » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:28 pm

Evans' choice of strikers so far has been poor. (Arquin, Coulthirst, Spencer, Sterling-James, Hemmings - and even Angol isn't all that!)
I'm not sure that I would back Steve Evans to choose a decent striker at the moment.
As I said at the beginning of the season .... I believe that he has messed up big time in the striker department ... and nothing that i have seen over the last 10 games has convinced me otherwise.
To answer the question - yes ... we need a proven goal scorer at this level. (None of the 6 strikers that he has brought have ticked that box).
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:09 pm

He needs to start getting the best out the forwards he has chosen.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:31 pm

With the football we play, we might as well see if Kevin Francis fancies coming out of retirement.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:14 am

Waggy wrote:This manager has had the largest financial support of any Mansfield town boss in history. He needs to stand in John Radfords office tomorrow and give a thorough explanation as to what's going on. He should be given 6 games to show good improvement and certainly not given licence to waste more money on uninterested journeymen

I completely agree.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:47 am

Random Hero wrote:
Waggy wrote:This manager has had the largest financial support of any Mansfield town boss in history. He needs to stand in John Radfords office tomorrow and give a thorough explanation as to what's going on. He should be given 6 games to show good improvement and certainly not given licence to waste more money on uninterested journeymen

I completely agree.

Me too.

Evans has gone off on one all summer telling everyone in Mansfield that Radford should get his wallet out and we'll get promotion.

Steve got everything he asked for and needs to buckle down, work with the players he wanted and got and deliver his side of the bargain. 10 games in and I've not been impressed once bar the Luton game.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:45 am

Stoney wrote:
Random Hero wrote:

I completely agree.

Me too.

Evans has gone off on one all summer telling everyone in Mansfield that Radford should get his wallet out and we'll get promotion.

Steve got everything he asked for and needs to buckle down, work with the players he wanted and got and deliver his side of the bargain. 10 games in and I've not been impressed once bar the Luton game.

His performance as manager falls well below his reputation.
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:39 am

Evans said if we are in the playoffs after 10 games, we'll go up. He won't and shouldn't be judged after 10 games, but that is a benchmark. No manager should be judged until he's had at least half a season. In Evans' case, he should be given a whole season. Anyone saying otherwise, is frankly stupid.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby west country stag » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:45 am

Vice President wrote:Evans' choice of strikers so far has been poor. (Arquin, Coulthirst, Spencer, Sterling-James, Hemmings - and even Angol isn't all that!)
I'm not sure that I would back Steve Evans to choose a decent striker at the moment.
As I said at the beginning of the season .... I believe that he has messed up big time in the striker department ... and nothing that i have seen over the last 10 games has convinced me otherwise.
To answer the question - yes ... we need a proven goal scorer at this level. (None of the 6 strikers that he has brought have ticked that box).

I agree entirely ... well put !
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
west country stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Tre Cool » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:56 am

I ad trying to think along the lines of getting an experienced head that could help our young strikers as bar Rose they seem to be playing with no confidence, can't take a penalty and we as a team are still lacking up front.
I do agree though that Evans must be accountable and that he's been provided with everything he has asked for.
Tre Cool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Waggy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:52 am

Stoney wrote:
Random Hero wrote:

I completely agree.

Me too.

For me, that was the moment he lost any right to be given extended time. He shot his mouth off in the press, which I found very disrespectful and has been given everything he wanted. Nows the time to deliver raspberry!
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby lifestags » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:56 am

He manipulated our chairman in the summer, making sure he was given every penny possible.

In all honesty our number 1 target striker agreed to sign for us but raspberried off to Coventry when Evans would not commit his future to us.
lifestags
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:37 am

and how many goals has Mcnulty actually scored ?
Would have been another dud forward capture
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:07 am

Captain Cunno wrote:and how many goals has Mcnulty actually scored ?

Our best striker is Rose....an Adam Murray signing.

The leagues joint top scorer is Billy Kee, who was an Adam Murray signing for us once upon a time too.

All of our best players last season were Adam Murray signings.

Don't tell Evans that though, because apparently his recruitment is far superior :lol:
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:33 am

Shaq is scoring goals this season.
Hon Sec
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:53 am

Hon Sec wrote:Shaq is scoring goals this season.

Always maintained I would have kept him. Yes he was frustrating at times when he held on to it for too long but he caused teams problems. Not surprised to see him scoring goals this year. Would have him in our 11 over Angol at the minute
BH_Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby James » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:08 am

stagmanrob wrote:

The leagues joint top scorer is Billy Kee, who was an Adam Murray signing for us once upon a time too.

Don't tell Evans that though, because apparently his recruitment is far superior :lol:

Get in the bin. Murray brough Kee, then never played him.
I've got a Grapefruit matter...
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:26 am

James wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:

Get in the bin. Murray brough Kee, then never played him.

Get in the bin :lol: Not heard that before, will definitely start using it, thanks James!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:36 am

BH_Stag wrote:
Hon Sec wrote:Shaq is scoring goals this season.

Always maintained I would have kept him. Yes he was frustrating at times when he held on to it for too long but he caused teams problems. Not surprised to see him scoring goals this year. Would have him in our 11 over Angol at the minute

Definitely agree with this. Ball greedy yes, made poor decisions yes, but he did score some decent goals and now seems to be thriving. Possibly helps that he's probably based in London now.
Tre Cool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Waggy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:45 am

ParisStag wrote:Evans said if we are in the playoffs after 10 games, we'll go up. He won't and shouldn't be judged after 10 games, but that is a benchmark. No manager should be judged until he's had at least half a season. In Evans' case, he should be given a whole season. Anyone saying otherwise, is frankly stupid.

He's not had 10 games, he's had 9 months. I accept that was partly limited due to AM signings but he did bring players in and had a nucleus of a side

I don't expect the finished article at this point but we are no further forward than day one of this season and arguably when he took over.

They get everything they ask for - overnight stays, trips to Malta, big budget, early signings with decent length contracts

I'm sat with a Rotherham fan who just laughs and says 'I told you'. He'll waste massive resources with a scattergun approach to signings, play them twice and then drop them if they upset him and then whinge about needing more

I maintain he hasn't a clue tactically - Raynor is the 'brains'. His approach is to offer huge wages to lots of players from the higher leagues and hope they'll be good enough to gel
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:56 am

It would be so typically Mansfield do have employed a manager on the wane, as we have done with previously prolific strikers (Tipton/Clare).

Time till well, although I suspect should we win on Saturday Evans will be the best thing since sliced bread again.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:13 pm

ParisStag wrote:Evans said if we are in the playoffs after 10 games, we'll go up. He won't and shouldn't be judged after 10 games, but that is a benchmark. No manager should be judged until he's had at least half a season. In Evans' case, he should be given a whole season. Anyone saying otherwise, is frankly stupid.

Your logic escapes me. You imply that every manager - apart from HRH Evans - should be judged after half a season, but in HRH Evans`s case it must be after a full season. Explanation required methinks.
garlic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum