{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Perspective.....

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Perspective.....

Postby Keep it Simple » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:56 pm

Come on then Steve, use some 'ifs and ands'.

Or maybe we should get some perspective ?

We are an ordinary side ,that at best if we play together, are reasonably difficult to beat, but with little prospect of dishing out a thumping to anyone.
However the style of football is dreadful to watch, probably from a disjointed, unsettled lineup every game and no creativity in midfield , and a forward line that is powder puff.
People go on about attendances but really what incentive is there to watch that every other week, and yes I know it's one defeat in 6....however it is truly bloody awful to witness for your hard earned.

The most disappointing thing is that I was a big advocate for getting you on board, but buying every player you can get your hands on ,and bolting them together like the legendary bell end that was Holdsworth did is not a recipe for success.
Feel free to get us who think this eating humble pie on Sat. Happy to consume a plateful.
Keep it Simple
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Perspective.....

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:00 pm

Keep it Simple wrote:Come on then Steve, use some 'ifs and ands'.

We are an ordinary side ,that at best if we play together, are reasonably difficult to beat, but with little prospect of dishing out a thumping to anyone.
However the style of football is dreadful to watch, probably from a disjointed, unsettled lineup every game and no creativity in midfield , and a forward line that is powder puff.
People go on about attendances but really what incentive is there to watch that every other week, and yes I know it's one defeat in 6....however it is truly bloody awful to witness for your hard earned.

The most disappointing thing is that I was a big advocate for getting you on board, but buying every player you can get your hands on ,and bolting them together like the legendary bell end that was Holdsworth did is not a recipe for success.
Feel free to get us who think this eating humble pie on Sat. Happy to consume a plateful.

Yes indeedy, 5/10 so far and close to the sack.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:03 pm

In the warm-up they play a nice passing game. Then in the game itself just hoick it towards the little lads.
stag861
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Waggy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:09 pm

Rob wrote:
Keep it Simple wrote:Come on then Steve, use some 'ifs and ands'.

Yes indeedy, 5/10 so far and close to the sack.

Yes - i think you were right with your 6 game comment

He's had 9 months now and we are looking nowhere near starting to be a good side

He was very disrespectful to the owners in the summer and stamped his little feet until he got what he wanted

Now is the time to deliver Billy Big raspberrys
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:10 pm

It's rarer than rocking horse poo that I ever disagree with the commentary of the excellent Martin Shaw or Dean Foulkes, but I did tonight when they said that that "Didn't see tonight's result coming."

We have managed 10 from a possible 12 points in the four games previous to tonight, and if we're honest, all of us were scratching our heads wondering how.

We have not performed well enough to have deserved those 10 at all, lucky to draw with Wycombe it should have been a loss, the win at Lincoln whilst an excellent win, a fair result was 0-0 really, it was a dour game with two poor teams going forward. Cambridge the same again.....we were never in the game until the dubious penalty, and everyone admits we didn't deserve a win.

The Grimsby game was probably the one where we deserved a win out of those four, but were we really that great to deserve the flattering 4-1 scoreline? They were poor rather than us getting out of second gear.

I did see it coming, we've only really put in a performance for 85 minutes at home to Luton that can be seen as a "League favourites" performance.

Our luck had to run out eventually, and I knew it was going to be tonight.
Last edited by stagmanrob on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:11 pm

To put the tin hat on the evening I'm just waiting for Norman to start a thread titled 'The Expensive Option' :)
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby london amber stag » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:13 pm

Terry Eccles Was God wrote:To put the tin hat on the evening I'm just waiting for Norman to start a thread titled 'The Expensive Option' :)

Norman has already been commenting, predictable as ever!
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:14 pm

Evans is right about one thing, he's not a League 2 manager.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby tibby » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:15 pm

Hahaha Dean. Has he ever kicked a ball? I disagree with most things he says when on the radio.

But people are entitled to their opinion.

Like above, we have been poor but picking up results. It's boring to watch and doesn't stand the test of time over a season
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Beano » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:17 pm

I was excited by the Evans appointment, as I can still remember the fantastic job he did at Crawley. He basically spent big and produced a team capable of ripping sides apart at will. (Banging 5 past us at the Mill for instance)

So far he has only done the spend big bit here - I await my humble pie, but am concerned we have dropped a bit of a testicle.
We think the same things at the same time
We just can't do anything about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Keep it Simple » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:21 pm

Beano wrote:I was excited by the Evans appointment, as I can still remember the fantastic job he did at Crawley. He basically spent big and produced a team capable of ripping sides apart at will. (Banging 5 past us at the Mill for instance)

So far he has only done the spend big bit here - I await my humble pie, but am concerned we have dropped a bit of a testicle.

Well for the fans it seems we are prepared for Humble Pie, and our Manager is looking for coal.
100% agree with the above Beans.
Keep it Simple
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:24 pm

How can we have spent so much on personnel, and be hardly much further away from the tripe we were watching under Cox and Murray?

Do we ever string more than 3 passes together?
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby west country stag » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:28 pm

All the pre season expectations have fell flat & the sorry state is ... we are not good enough either individually or as a team .
I cant see this team ever clicking , its to poor !!
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
west country stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Ben Superstag » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:37 pm

stagmanrob wrote:It's rarer than rocking horse poo that I ever disagree with the commentary of the excellent Martin Shaw or Dean Foulkes, but I did tonight when they said that that "Didn't see tonight's result coming."

We have managed 10 from a possible 12 points in the four games previous to tonight, and if we're honest, all of us were scratching our heads wondering how.

We have not performed well enough to have deserved those 10 at all, lucky to draw with Wycombe it should have been a loss, the win at Lincoln whilst an excellent win, a fair result was 0-0 really, it was a dour game with two poor teams going forward. Cambridge the same again.....we were never in the game until the dubious penalty, and everyone admits we didn't deserve a win.

The Grimsby game was probably the one where we deserved a win out of those four, but were we really that great to deserve the flattering 4-1 scoreline? They were poor rather than us getting out of second gear.

I did see it coming, we've only really put in a performance for 85 minutes at home to Luton that can be seen as a "League favourites" performance.

Our luck had to run out eventually, and I knew it was going to be tonight.

You're prominent on here at the moment Rob, are you expecting a pat on the back and a great big 'I told you so' sticker as a sign of your achievement?

If you knew we were gonna get humped last night perhaps you could've helped Evans out by letting him know.

I agree we have been disappointing so far this season performance wise and the points return could definitely be much better, but I don't agree that we looked like we were going to be on the end of a scoreline like this, most games have been tight.

As for the other Rob saying he is close to the sack, what good has sacking managers who now have more restrictions than ever done after 2 months of a new season? If we are floundering around in mid-table come the 23 game mark and don't look like mounting a promotion assault, I'd be inclined to agree, but because we aren't romping the division after 10 games you'd say he's close to the sack? Luton spent hundreds of thousands assembling that team, we are 2 points behind them. We are 2 points from the play offs and 4 points from autos, so in 2 games time things could look very different.
Ben Superstag
First Team
First Team

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:55 pm

Definitely premature to talk of getting rid but my perspective is at the moment the team and style is just awful.

First half Saturday I was genuinely and completely bored. A win is a win fair enough but if I where a Cambridge fan I would have felt robbed.

There is something in the air with being stubborn and being our manager Murray would not budge on his principles and it cost him his job and at the moment Evans won't budge on his and results are acceptable but performances are dire.

Now it is impossible to have achieved what Raynor and Evans have by just playing the same again and again and again regardless of performance so they both need to sit down look at who they have available and work out the best option because the current one clearly isn't it.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:16 pm

I have read so many negative posts since last night. It's such a shame that the same people do not post when we win. Some of you just seem to be waiting for Evans to slip up and last night was your opportunity to vent. Some people are armchair managers who have never kicked a ball in their life but you have all the answers to what needs to be done. We lost a game of football last night, get some perspective, it's not the end of the world. You play football, you lose, you move on to the next game. It's the end of September not the beginning of May. There is a long way to go and we are 2 points behind the mighty Luton. I am looking forward to meeting the old enemy on Saturday so let's dust ourselves down and start again. COYS
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Beano » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:32 pm

There isn't one person on here that wouldn't love Evans to succeed.

People are disappointed in what they see as poor performances - surely the whole point of the discussion board is to actually discuss stuff (good and bad)

The theory that people don't discuss good performances is a myth.
We think the same things at the same time
We just can't do anything about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:36 pm

Beano wrote:There isn't one person on here that wouldn't love Evans to succeed.

People are disappointed in what they see as poor performances - surely the whole point of the discussion board is to actually discuss stuff (good and bad)

The theory that people don't discuss good performances is a myth.

Truth
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:50 pm

I got publicly flogged for having the same gripes after 3 games that people have now got in abundance.

Im prepared to give mr 9 promotions way more slack. Even to the point that we give him next season in L2 aswell. It takes at least 4 transfer windows and a good season to play the way a manager wants.

I would like to see us play 3 central midfielders amd 2 genuine wide players to dominate possession from time to time.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:55 pm

Apart from Pearce and now Rose (who had to work extra hard for his place) it seems to me that Mr Evans will only pick players he has recruited. This is fine if they are better than the crew that were here when he was appointed but that isn't the case in some instances.

Pre-season I was excited by Mr. Stirling James and Cj Hamilton who appeared to be giving us the width and speed on the wings that were opening teams up. They were working well with the full backs providing cover at the back when needed. We were fast and got behind teams almost at will. I fully accept pre-season games are easier but we seem to have lost that element from our play.

We lump it forward aimlessly hoping someone will get a head on the ball and things will fall right. It's not happening and teams can push forward as they know we are not getting forward quickly and picking our men out with passes they can work with.

Whilst Mr Hunt has done very little wrong, he is not the threat that Benning is. For that reason alone I would like to see the return of Mal and the full backs and wingers working together and start scaring teams into holding back on their own runs upfield. At least we would be entertained and not watching the tin of paint.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby young vanish » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:19 pm

There's little doubt that we have assembled a team of players with ability - but the resultant team has shown it all too briefly.
I've no idea what the mood in the changing room is, but the current situation of ...
good manager + good players = poor performances
... has all the hallmarks of players and coach who do not get on well together.
Binarily speaking, 10's company, 11's a crowd
young vanish
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dogface » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:33 pm

What have we lost or at least started to lose apart from a football match? Momentum, the feelgood factor, The positive outlook, growing support and some respect for the management and players. That's not to say the situation cannot be recovered because things could change quickly but optimism has fallen away for me and probably lots of other Stags fans.
Dogface
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:38 pm

You'd have thought we were in the bottom 2 after reading all these comments, it's laughable after only losing 2 games in the league so far?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Keep it Simple » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:43 pm

london amber stag wrote:I have read so many negative posts since last night. It's such a shame that the same people do not post when we win. Some of you just seem to be waiting for Evans to slip up and last night was your opportunity to vent. Some people are armchair managers who have never kicked a ball in their life but you have all the answers to what needs to be done. We lost a game of football last night, get some perspective, it's not the end of the world. You play football, you lose, you move on to the next game. It's the end of September not the beginning of May. There is a long way to go and we are 2 points behind the mighty Luton. I am looking forward to meeting the old enemy on Saturday so let's dust ourselves down and start again. COYS

Do you know what, you might be right about some people coming on when we lose and not when we win.....I perhaps am one of those you describe , however nothing at any point has made me jump out of my seat banging on about a great win and performance, and subsequently , not stirred me to post, it has been like wading in concrete watching the stuff served up for the most part.
Now with the manner of the defeat and several abject displays, coupled with the investment made in the side, to see us already struggling to stay in contention, (and yes we can all say 3 points off this , four off that etc) brings about frustration.
I want Steve Evans to succeed as we ALL do I'm sure, but it's not a crime to voice an opinion some don't like. Equally saying he is near the sack is daft, however, things have to improve and quickly

Give us something to cheer, not drab games, childish petulance on the touch line, unsettled lineups etc.
Make us want to attend Steve, you talk a fine game, show us, and you'll be adored here.

And yes dust ourselves down and start again on Sat. Personally I am hoping for a reaction of immense proportions because make no mistake it's needed to keep with this lot coming Sat.

For the older ones on here like me, can you imagine the posts on here if it was live in 1974-75?

It would be in positivity meltdown . :lol:

Up the Stags
Keep it Simple
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Apart from Pearce and now Rose (who had to work extra hard for his place) it seems to me that Mr Evans will only pick players he has recruited. This is fine if they are better than the crew that were here when he was appointed but that isn't the case in some instances.

Pre-season I was excited by Mr. Stirling James and Cj Hamilton who appeared to be giving us the width and speed on the wings that were opening teams up. They were working well with the full backs providing cover at the back when needed. We were fast and got behind teams almost at will. I fully accept pre-season games are easier but we seem to have lost that element from our play.

We lump it forward aimlessly hoping someone will get a head on the ball and things will fall right. It's not happening and teams can push forward as they know we are not getting forward quickly and picking our men out with passes they can work with.

Whilst Mr Hunt has done very little wrong, he is not the threat that Benning is. For that reason alone I would like to see the return of Mal and the full backs and wingers working together and start scaring teams into holding back on their own runs upfield. At least we would be entertained and not watching the tin of paint.

Agreed, although CJ needs to improve the end product, in the games since Evans has been here when CJ and Benning have played, they have combined well and we have looked dangerous going forward. I also think Benning is a better defender than he gets credit for.
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum