{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Mr Evens About Time You Earned Your Wages.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Mr Evens About Time You Earned Your Wages.

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:03 am

Tre Cool wrote:It's time we dropped the 'Into something good' theme because it's NOT good and Steve has NOT 'got us playing the way we should' - not with the team we've assembled.

:good_post:

Absolutely spot on. He's got us playing the way we should if we've all become accustomed to the crap served up under Cox and Murray.....but I don't believe we think that's the way we should be playing....especially with the talent at his disposal. It's a better squad than what Billy Dearden had, but it's light years away from the level of football that was played.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:04 am

Still 106 odd points to play for

no need to spit the dummies out yet lads.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:55 am

Im not the real OND wrote:White and benning have been made scapegoats for a poor system in my opinion.

On the face of it it looks as though white and Benning made a couple of defensive mistakes and hunt and Bennett have come in and haven't made any defensive mistakes.

The way Evans sets his teams up, the only width comes from the full backs. The are essentially being asked to play a wing back role without any defensive cover. White and benning provide the attacking threat and unsurprisingly have been caught out defensively.

Hunt has come in and looked solid defensively but offers no threat going forward. Bennett is solid and willing to go forward but doesn't have the attacking threat of White.

So while it looks like the replacements are more solid they are only doing half their job well and as such we look worse for it.

Evans needs to find a way to find some width from midfield if he wants to keep hunt and Bennett in or give white and Benning some defensive cover that allows them to venture into the oppositions half.

Completely agree, with this current squad, I think 3 at the back with White and Benning as wing backs might work. This also would give the extra man in the centre of the park.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:04 am

Rob wrote:
Im not the real OND wrote:White and benning have been made scapegoats for a poor system in my opinion.

On the face of it it looks as though white and Benning made a couple of defensive mistakes and hunt and Bennett have come in and haven't made any defensive mistakes.

The way Evans sets his teams up, the only width comes from the full backs. The are essentially being asked to play a wing back role without any defensive cover. White and benning provide the attacking threat and unsurprisingly have been caught out defensively.

Hunt has come in and looked solid defensively but offers no threat going forward. Bennett is solid and willing to go forward but doesn't have the attacking threat of White.

So while it looks like the replacements are more solid they are only doing half their job well and as such we look worse for it.

Evans needs to find a way to find some width from midfield if he wants to keep hunt and Bennett in or give white and Benning some defensive cover that allows them to venture into the oppositions half.

Completely agree, with this current squad, I think 3 at the back with White and Benning as wing backs might work. This also would give the extra man in the centre of the park.

Only problem i can see with 3 at the back, is the wide centre backs have to have a bit of pace as the majority of the time (hence why Chelsea use Azpilicueta there), they are covering the space left by the wing backs. I wouldn't fancy Diamond, Mirfin or Pearce in any of those positions.
I've got a Grapefruit matter...
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Grendon Stag » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:06 am

Random Hero wrote:
JDW wrote:
Haven't seen the performance tonight. But away to Cheltenham on a Tuesday night isn't gonna be a walkover. Can only assume he made 5 changes to have a fresh side for County at the weekend, which is a massive game given their position. And if we win it could kickstart our season.

We are a few points off where we want to be. Get off their back and support them..

You are lucky.

Cheltenham are absolute dross. We made them look like Barcelona in the second half.

Worst second half performance I've seen since the days of Holdsworth.

Hope you were nice and cosy at home 'staying off their backs'.

They weren't dross at all. They were what you come to expect of a Johnson side, decent across the back 4 and looked very lively going forward.
Everything else you say however i completely agree with. I have seen some crap in my time but last night was shocking!
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Foxy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:22 am

Tre Cool wrote:It's time we dropped the 'Into something good' theme because it's NOT good and Steve has NOT 'got us playing the way we should' - not with the team we've assembled.

See the thing with that song is that when Man United sing it they only sing it once they're actually winning... yes i was there when it first started and remember singing it all the way out the ground (accrington at home if i remember?) but i cant help think that we've gone overboard with it now to the point of it getting cringe.. :oops: i mean singing it before we start a match for instance ..to then get gumped is leaving us exposed..

just my 5 bob though.. (inflation)
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:23 am

James wrote:
Rob wrote:

Only problem i can see with 3 at the back, is the wide centre backs have to have a bit of pace as the majority of the time (hence why Chelsea use Azpilicueta there), they are covering the space left by the wing backs. I wouldn't fancy Diamond, Mirfin or Pearce in any of those positions.

I'd play Bennett in that role, he is quick and for many (me included) is better at centre back than right back.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:29 am

Agreed, Bennett is a far better centre back than right back.
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:08 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
marker_mtfc95 wrote:Still a lot of games to be played and plenty of ups and downs along the way. Frustration of it is for me is the amount of money the Radfords have put into this season, and players we brought in just under achieving. No doubting the quality of players we have but should be playing teams off park.

this is the problem itself, fans thinking we should be playing teams off the park. no game is ever easy in league 2, other teams will up their games to beat our manager/us as we're the favourites.

No excuses under acheiving.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:27 pm

marker_mtfc95 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
marker_mtfc95 wrote:Still a lot of games to be played and plenty of ups and downs along the way. Frustration of it is for me is the amount of money the Radfords have put into this season, and players we brought in just under achieving. No doubting the quality of players we have but should be playing teams off park.

this is the problem itself, fans thinking we should be playing teams off the park. no game is ever easy in league 2, other teams will up their games to beat our manager/us as we're the favourites.

No. he'll under achieve if he doesn't get promotion. That's his remit, that's why he's here, that's why JR brought him in. You don't get promoted in september.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby young vanish » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:36 pm

JDW wrote:... if we win it could kickstart our season.

"could kickstart our season" is becoming such a well used phrase on here this season.
Binarily speaking, 10's company, 11's a crowd
young vanish
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby CassellsCap » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:22 pm

Would we be satisfied with 32 points after 20 games? Etc etc. Time will tell.
CassellsCap
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Vice President » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:39 pm

Wow! how the tide has quickly turned against Evans!
Let's keep some perspective here: Yes, it has been a disappointing start (not helped by the over-hype of making us favourites to win the league). Steve Evans has clearly not chosen quite the all conquering squad that some had believed. However ....
The fact is that all the clubs have strengthend over the summer, and there are at least 12 clubs with serious promotion hopes (of which we are one). This looks like it could be the toughest league 2 ever.
Ian Greaves took 3 years to get us promoted. What gives us the right to automatic promotion? - and I don't know if our budget really is 'top 3'?
There is plenty of time to go (36 games). Steve Evans knows his stuff and should be given the whole season and sufficient support to put things right.
I agree that there is a strong sense of disillusionment at the moment (and I certainly have my doubts). However, it is a long season, things can quickly change, and it is all about confidence. We need to be patient and get behind the team (and management) at times like this.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:05 pm

Vice President wrote:Wow! how the tide has quickly turned against Evans!
Let's keep some perspective here: Yes, it has been a disappointing start (not helped by the over-hype of making us favourites to win the league). Steve Evans has clearly not chosen quite the all conquering squad that some had believed. However ....
The fact is that all the clubs have strengthend over the summer, and there are at least 12 clubs with serious promotion hopes (of which we are one). This looks like it could be the toughest league 2 ever.
Ian Greaves took 3 years to get us promoted. What gives us the right to automatic promotion? - and I don't know if our budget really is 'top 3'?
There is plenty of time to go (36 games). Steve Evans knows his stuff and should be given the whole season and sufficient support to put things right.
I agree that there is a strong sense of disillusionment at the moment (and I certainly have my doubts). However, it is a long season, things can quickly change, and it is all about confidence. We need to be patient and get behind the team (and management) at times like this.

good post VP. a long way to go and there will always be bad days, but under evans i feel we will have more good than bad. we support mansfield through thick and thin and one loss should certainly not topple the cart with the fans
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:22 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
marker_mtfc95 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

No. he'll under achieve if he doesn't get promotion. That's his remit, that's why he's here, that's why JR brought him in. You don't get promoted in september.

Never said you did dumb ass, expect more from our players/ manager.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:07 am

Does anyone know who this Mr Evens is?
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:13 am

James wrote:Does anyone know who this Mr Evens is?

He works behind the scenes. Before every match both managers gather round while he rolls the dice to see who wins and loses
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:27 am

James wrote:Does anyone know who this Mr Evens is?

Thought it was an odd thing :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:17 pm

spainmick wrote:One bad result ...at least he can spell Evans

Thats an odd thing to say
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum