{ the forum }

Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

No hiding on saturday

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: No hiding on saturday

Postby Jamie » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:30 pm

BoughtonStag71 wrote:Our midfield is essentially a league 1 set up. It's lack of creativity, work rate is astonishing really considering the so called talent in there. Our strike force is being given little to work with.

Agree the forwards haven't had much service and on the midfield being an issue. They have been bypassed quite a lot though. We don't play out from the back at all.

Also your right, we have a L1 quality midfield. So far though they've been suckered into L2 antics. They get no time on the ball and don't seem to have adjusted to that.

We need to play more football. Get men properly wide and stretch teams. Yeah we'll be a little more open but i thought Evans philosophy was 'we'll score one more than you', or so he said last year. Its not like were not giving away lots of chances already. Nothing to lose at this stage.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby WeDeserveMore » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:28 pm

ParisStag wrote:Come on people, it's Notts County. We never lose to Notts County. I expect that to continue. Records mean nothing in derbies. Lincoln hadnt lost in a year at home until we came along. 4 years ago, Spireites were top and unbeaten going into our game with them and we beat them.

Good point Paris. I'm back on message - C'Mon Stags!!!
Champions!!!!!!!
WeDeserveMore
First Team
First Team

Postby Spiritater » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:03 am

Think positive thoughts all day today.
We're all gonna win Euro Millions tonight, Might only be the two bob n a tanner prize but at least we've won eh!.

That girl you've always fancied winks at you. No it wasn't that she had some dust in her eye, she definitely winked didn't she eh!

That rattle on t'car isn't gonna cost you a fortune to fix. It's only a loose exhaust rubber isn't it.

We will beat Clownty tomorrow, they've had a proper 'rub of the green' start to the season and their luck'll run out tomorrow won't it!

Positive thoughts people.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:11 am

Player for player ,we are better than them mostly . They are playing as a team we are playing as strangers.
Evans is saying we are a work in progress ,I don't buy that one as most teams in our league have signed close to 10 new players. Most of our players were signed early in closed season so we had a full pre season to get ready.
daddycool
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:46 am

They are top having won their last six games. The last victory was away at second place Exeter.

Some fans are saying SE can't pick a team, and is not showing proper leadership on the touch line. Our strikers are said to be poor, our midfield is said to have no balance and our defence leaked three goals last time out.

There can only be one outcome then. Can't there? COYS.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Keep it Simple » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:25 am

Jamie wrote:
BoughtonStag71 wrote:Our midfield is essentially a league 1 set up. It's lack of creativity, work rate is astonishing really considering the so called talent in there. Our strike force is being given little to work with.

Agree the forwards haven't had much service and on the midfield being an issue. They have been bypassed quite a lot though. We don't play out from the back at all.

Also your right, we have a L1 quality midfield. So far though they've been suckered into L2 antics. They get no time on the ball and don't seem to have adjusted to that.

We need to play more football. Get men properly wide and stretch teams. Yeah we'll be a little more open but i thought Evans philosophy was 'we'll score one more than you', or so he said last year. Its not like were not giving away lots of chances already. Nothing to lose at this stage.

Can you explain to me why we have 'essentially a league 1 set-up' , or a L1 quality midfield ?
What defines one ? For me it's a game of football and they should be able to cope with L2 surely if there is a gulf between the leagues?
How do we know they are an L1 midfield if you say there is no playing out from the back or the ball is continuously hoofed over them?
I can say for my part that if there is a 'quality L1 midfield' here I've not seen it, only on paper from the clubs they've been signed from in the main, who possibly wouldn't have signed if they were first choices, unless the money was too good to turn down?

At least if we do get up we have a L1 quality midfield that will cope with the extra demands............
Keep it Simple
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Jamie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:36 am

The point is that our midfielders are full of L1 experience, many of them did pretty well in L1. It doesn't mean they look L1 quality at the moment but that they clearly have more in the locker than we're seeing now.

As i also said, they're struggling against more seasoned, more hungry L2 players.

I think some of them thought it was going to be a walk in the park with the players we have and playing at a level below there norm.

They need to step up, work harder, play wider and let that experience and quality show.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:43 am

Jamie wrote:The point is that our midfielders are full of L1 experience, many of them did pretty well in L1. It doesn't mean they look L1 quality at the moment but that they clearly have more in the locker than we're seeing now.

As i also said, they're struggling against more seasoned, more hungry L2 players.

I think some of them thought it was going to be a walk in the park with the players we have and playing at a level below there norm.

They need to step up, work harder, play wider and let that experience and quality show.

That's all correct. There's always a danger when you sign players from the league above that they think that they'll be able to take it easy and win matches just by superior skills.

Football isn't like that, as I'm sure Steve Evans is well aware. The usual managerial line is "fighting for the right to play" - we've seen signs of that coming in recently. Cheltenham may have just been a temporary step backwards, I hope.

The team may well lose tomorrow but if they show that they can battle, and gain the right to play the way they want, then it'll look promising as we move into the main part of the season.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:46 am

What annoys me Bradders is our setup and style. Our assets are experience and quality, yet we play so narrow and also back to front. Its like watching Paul Coxs team but without the players to do it.

Evans needs to wake up.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:49 am

I agree.

Tactically Evans has been very poor so far this season.
Conker
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum