{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Best side

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Best side

Postby yellows58 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:18 pm

It strikes me that Steve does not know what is best side is. Every game changes.
yellows58
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:52 pm

Re: Best side

Postby tibby » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:21 pm

Every game, boring.

What happened to football being in the entertainment business
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1006
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:30 pm

Re: Best side

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:21 pm

Can he not rest players?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2531
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Best side

Postby tibby » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:22 pm

I'd rather us not finish top 7 than watch this dross all season
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1006
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:30 pm

Re: Best side

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:27 pm

He's giving claudio "the tinker man" ranieri a run for his money.

If fairness some come in have a good game but then immediately poor the next so can understand the changes (mainly midfield). Almost like they can't play 90 minutes at times.
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Best side

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:40 pm

I said it after cambridge and i'll say it again, we don't have a solid midfield - like the defence (although after tonight's game have conceded some sloppy goals recently).

Mellis very good creatively but sounded like he faded on the second half. Digby was great against Lincoln but then poor against cambridge. Byrom i think is a starter because of his free kicks and is a good passer. Butcher jury is still out on him but not that impressed from what i've seen. Atkinson, is he a winger or a centre midfielder? has looked good in spells

We will get there, keep the faith. We were unbeaten in 6 and this happens everytime we lose
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2531
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Best side

Postby Waggy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:41 pm

He hasn't a clue!

No idea about tactics or substitutions

Thinks everything is someone else fault and his only answer is to shout at everyone - players and officials included

He's been out and spent a load of money on expensive journeymen. No idea how to play them together and not interested in developing youth

We've been incredibly lucky in the previous two games, which could have very easily gone the other way - that would have left us on 10 points and around 20th place

Not good enough!
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
User avatar
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:41 pm

Re: Best side

Postby spainmick » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:53 pm

Steve Evans ..no clue?? Hes forgotten more about football than most on here..me included...have faith... One bad result in 7 ...
spainmick
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:02 am

Re: Best side

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:54 pm

Door will have been opened for Diamond / benning coming back into the team after conceding 3 tonight.

Yes.....yet more changes.
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Best side

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:56 pm

spainmick wrote:Steve Evans ..no clue?? Hes forgotten more about football than most on here..me included...have faith... One bad result in 7 ...

:good_post:
Don't sell Terry Eccles
User avatar
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: Best side

Postby Waggy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:03 pm

spainmick wrote:Steve Evans ..no clue?? Hes forgotten more about football than most on here..me included...have faith... One bad result in 7 ...


He has always had a huge budget to work with

Scattergun approach to signings

I haven't seen a good performance yet
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
User avatar
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:41 pm

Re: Best side

Postby Rigsby » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:16 pm

It is 1 bad result in 7. It is however another disjointed and uninspiring performance. Almost a quarter of the campaign gone and we don't remotely look like a team.
County are showing the way. As much as it pains me to say it, I think they will brush us aside on Saturday. It's time for Evans to start earning his big bucks and stop embarrassing himself and the club.
Rigsby
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:24 pm

Re: Best side

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:20 pm

Biggest budget afforded to any Stags manager in history, and having overnight stays on away trips a little over 2 hours away.

No excusing the performances that have been poor apart from 85 minutes against Luton.
User avatar
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1606
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:39 pm
Location: Newbold

Re: Best side

Postby BELSE » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:33 pm

Wants to stop over night stays and make them work for there money like us fans
BELSE
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:51 pm

Re: Best side

Postby Chander Lear » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:07 am

Just got back and i echo what has said. Tinkering the side and being let down by certain players and tactics is costing us

We cannot defend set peices

Lucky not to lose that by 10 tonight

Time to bring diamond in, someone who can head it
Chander Lear
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3051
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:04 pm

Re: Best side

Postby BigGuy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:51 am

Buys wingers (ie Anderson) who are proven in the Championship then plays em in centre midfield.

Buys league 1 player of the year, drops him after 3 games and signs a replacement.

Although the latter seems to have been put right at least, but Mellis will get dropped again no doubt for Saturday.

Rotherham fans tried to warn us by the way over signing anyone that moved.
BigGuy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Best side

Postby Keep it Simple » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:41 am

The last 4 posts above for me make the most telling points.
I was on holiday last week and on a trip out to a nightclub. We were sat at the side of a couple from Rotherham, when football was mentioned he just couldn't stress enough how in the end Evans had hamstrung the club. I was attempting to defend him but this guy was adamant that he would 'f*!+.. the club up' with crazy mass signings, alienated referees, divided support, players not knowing who was playing one game to the next. Sound familiar?
As the season goes on, I really don't think he is a million miles away in his opinions.
The saddest thing for me is that he has been backed by a thoroughly good man, I just hope his money isn't wasted .
Mr Evans will point of course to 9 promotions and it is difficult to argue against that, however to me at this time, everything seems thrown together and the results and style of play exactly reflect that.
I really hope he proves us all wrong.
Keep it Simple
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:53 pm

Re: Best side

Postby Grendon Stag » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:17 am

Keep it Simple wrote:The last 4 posts above for me make the most telling points.
I was on holiday last week and on a trip out to a nightclub. We were sat at the side of a couple from Rotherham, when football was mentioned he just couldn't stress enough how in the end Evans had hamstrung the club. I was attempting to defend him but this guy was adamant that he would 'f*!+.. the club up' with crazy mass signings, alienated referees, divided support, players not knowing who was playing one game to the next. Sound familiar?
As the season goes on, I really don't think he is a million miles away in his opinions.
The saddest thing for me is that he has been backed by a thoroughly good man, I just hope his money isn't wasted .
Mr Evans will point of course to 9 promotions and it is difficult to argue against that, however to me at this time, everything seems thrown together and the results and style of play exactly reflect that.
I really hope he proves us all wrong.


Hamstrung the club my arse!! He gave them some of the best days in the clubs recent history. I know a few Rotherham fans and they all maintain if he was still their now they'd still be in the Championship. That includes the chairman Tony Stewart who i see quite a bit through work.
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1009
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: Best side

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:51 am

Think its time he tried 4.5.1 away.

And probably against notts too.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1833
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Best side

Postby Keep it Simple » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:20 pm

[
Grendon Stag wrote:
Keep it Simple wrote:The last 4 posts above for me make the most telling points.
I was on holiday last week and on a trip out to a nightclub. We were sat at the side of a couple from Rotherham, when football was mentioned he just couldn't stress enough how in the end Evans had hamstrung the club. I was attempting to defend him but this guy was adamant that he would 'f*!+.. the club up' with crazy mass signings, alienated referees, divided support, players not knowing who was playing one game to the next. Sound familiar?
As the season goes on, I really don't think he is a million miles away in his opinions.
The saddest thing for me is that he has been backed by a thoroughly good man, I just hope his money isn't wasted .
Mr Evans will point of course to 9 promotions and it is difficult to argue against that, however to me at this time, everything seems thrown together and the results and style of play exactly reflect that.
I really hope he proves us all wrong.


Hamstrung the club my arse!! He gave them some of the best days in the clubs recent history. I know a few Rotherham fans and they all maintain if he was still their now they'd still be in the Championship. That includes the chairman Tony Stewart who i see quite a bit through work.


Alright , keep your hair on, I'm only repeating what was said to me. Yes he did get them promotion which I acknowledge earlier in the post, with him having 9 promotions which he tells us, and is hard to go against, however he was very unpopular when he left.
It seems like many of the same trends are being followed here, especially with the number of signings, lack of formation, settled side, playacting to officials, hoof tactics (which has surprised me).
I really wanted him here, and still have some faith, but not as much as I had before. I dearly hope he can get us up but at the moment and for a while before, it is quite clear he doesn't know his best team, or how to play them.
It needs sorting very soon, because the brand of football on display will ensure upper mid table at best, and mid table at worst, not where the investment warrants, for all his veiled leave threats in the summer.
Keep it Simple
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:53 pm

Re: Best side

Postby James » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:48 pm

To be fair, even with what Rotherham fans said, Evans also gave them 2 consecutive promotions, and kept them in the Championship. Maybe we need to learn aswell and have a little patience?
I've got a Grapefruit matter...
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: Best side

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:53 pm

James wrote:To be fair, even with what Rotherham fans said, Evans also gave them 2 consecutive promotions, and kept them in the Championship. Maybe we need to learn aswell and have a little patience?



My thoughts exactly.

We all knew evans was a hot head, he hasn't changed.

He's built his team, now let him get on with it. We weren't gonna win every game this year. We weren't ever gonna walk the league this year. We will get better i'm sure and folk on here need to stop chucking the dummy out when we lose.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2531
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Best side

Postby part time pete » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:01 pm

yellows58 wrote:It strikes me that Steve does not know what is best side is. Every game changes.


Everyone's saying 5 changes from last game, but when you look at the starting line up last night there was only TWO differences from the team that was on the field at the end of the Cambridge game.

Everyone you talk to say the changes on Saturday worked and when you add that White pulled out injured and Bennett replaced him if fact there was only one change and that was if effect Digby for McDonald.

I think folk need to get a grip and think things through.

The game before just one change Rose for Angol after Danny scored after coming on as sub.

When you actually look Evans doesn't make as many changes as you think for League games. The vast majority of changes are for cup games.
We might win against Accrington next time.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager
 
Posts: 4492
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Best side

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:23 pm

-------------Rose Angol

Anderson Mellis Byrom Macdonald

Benning Pearce Mirfin White

--------------Logan

Is that our best 11 on paper?

Digby, a young defender playing in midfield, he's not ready yet
Atkinson, Steady player at southend but not one of their main threats and not in his prime, definitely not a winger despite always being played there
Anderson, coming to the end of his career, no pace at all for a winger
Mellis, something not right.. always goes down a division
Angol, not a proven goal scorer and needs time to come good
Hemmings, doesn't look fit
Rose, Cant make a goal out of nothing when you need one but best we have
Spencer, passenger at plymouth and the same here
Potter, been in successful teams without playing much of a part, can see why
Sterling-James, clearly a winger that needs to play on the wing, looks dangerous... in the stands because his 5th choice striker.
White, needs to be in a settled side
Bennett, CB is his best position but we have too many CB's
Butcher, needs time to fit in...


All the pre-season optimism has now firmly fell into reality. Evans signings are not screaming quality top 3 side anymore now they've shown what they can do.

Still early days and plenty of time to get it right, the quality is there but i think it'll be harder work to get it out of them.
Sedgwick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:01 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Best side

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:33 pm

Mellis is our best player but he ain't going to tackle back for 90 minutes. Said when we signed Butcher we are much more suited to 3-5-2 or 3-4-1-2 with the players we have and he played it last season so don't see why he isn't trying it.
-------------Logan---------------------

---Bennett---Pearce---Mirfin-----
White--Byrom----Butcher-----Benning
-------------------Mellis-----------------------
---------Rose-------------Hemmings--------

Byrom not fit so could be Digby or Atkinson in there, Hemmings needs a goal then I think he will settle.

I'm not panicking yet but the performances haven't been good regardless of results and we do seem to get dominated in the middle of the park so this just seems a logical idea.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1562
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:24 am

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests