{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Penalty

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Penalty

Postby yellows58 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:33 pm

I cannot understand why we did not let Hemmings take the penalty, if he had scored it would surely have boosted his convidence. This could have triggered him into scoring more. After all he is allegedly a striker.
yellows58
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Penalty

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:35 pm

yellows58 wrote:I cannot understand why we did not let Hemmings take the penalty, if he had scored it would surely have boosted his convidence. This could have triggered him into scoring more. After all he is allegedly a striker.

because he missed one at Carlisle. Evans has now said that Angol and Mellis are the designated penalty takers.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby yellows58 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:37 pm

Fair enough.
yellows58
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:01 pm

If the Keeper had saved the pen yesterday Mellis wouldn't be a taker anymore. It was a poor penalty, his only saving grace was it was low and the keeper made a hash of it. Hemings penalty brought a good save imo and only Angol's penalty was any good. These players really are devoid of confidence if they can't strike a ball well from 12 yards. Pro footballers aren't what they used to be. Bring back Tony Kenworthy, he knew how to take a pressure penalty!!!
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:31 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:If the Keeper had saved the pen yesterday Mellis wouldn't be a taker anymore. It was a poor penalty, his only saving grace was it was low and the keeper made a hash of it. Hemings penalty brought a good save imo and only Angol's penalty was any good. These players really are devoid of confidence if they can't strike a ball well from 12 yards. Pro footballers aren't what they used to be. Bring back Tony Kenworthy, he knew how to take a pressure penalty!!!

But not Liam Lawrence eh!
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby stags87 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:00 am

I seem to remember Rob Duffy being an excellent penalty taker.
stags87
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby part time pete » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:03 am

stags87 wrote:I seem to remember Rob Duffy being an excellent penalty taker.

Yeah, but the quality of goalkeeper he was taking them against were crap.
We might win against Accrington next time.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby ST4GS » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:21 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:If the Keeper had saved the pen yesterday Mellis wouldn't be a taker anymore. It was a poor penalty, his only saving grace was it was low and the keeper made a hash of it. Hemings penalty brought a good save imo and only Angol's penalty was any good. These players really are devoid of confidence if they can't strike a ball well from 12 yards. Pro footballers aren't what they used to be. Bring back Tony Kenworthy, he knew how to take a pressure penalty!!!
We missed one in 1987 at Wembley, remind me who that was?
ST4GS
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Kernow » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:33 am

Keith Cassells missed at Wembley.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:08 am

Spiritater wrote:

It wasn't pressure that made Liam miss at Cardiff, it was cockiness. He was TOO confident. I don't think I've ever seen a cooler penalty taker than him. How many did he score that season? 13?
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:13 am

My worry was that Mellis had only just come on, he didn't look too confident but luck was with us, thank goodness.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:27 am

It is better to be a lucky manager than a good one.
We might win against Accrington next time.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:58 am

ParisStag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

It wasn't pressure that made Liam miss at Cardiff, it was cockiness. He was TOO confident. I don't think I've ever seen a cooler penalty taker than him. How many did he score that season? 13?

When the real pressure was there he missed, cocky or not. I don't think it bothered him that much either way as he was going to leave.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:04 am

If Hemmings had missed again where would his confidence be? He needs to get a proper goal to boost him.
stag861
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby The One » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:06 am

Its the Devils work theses penalty thingy things. We went years without one and scraped through, now we get every other week.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:58 am

The One wrote:Its the Devils work theses penalty thingy things. We went years without one and scraped through, now we get every other week.

Which is down to Evans I believe, our players are being much more clever in and around the box just lately.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:08 pm

stag861 wrote:If Hemmings had missed again where would his confidence be? He needs to get a proper goal to boost him.

That's exactly what I thought too
a stag is a proud & noble beast
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:17 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
yellows58 wrote:I cannot understand why we did not let Hemmings take the penalty, if he had scored it would surely have boosted his convidence. This could have triggered him into scoring more. After all he is allegedly a striker.

because he missed one at Carlisle. Evans has now said that Angol and Mellis are the designated penalty takers.

Cant say I was particularly impressed with the penalty Mellis took. Apart from the keeper making a hash of it, his run up was so obvious as to where the ball was going, he may as well have placed an ad on our large scoreboard advising of it. Only Angol's first penalty has been anywhere near clinical enough.
victor A block
First Team
First Team

Postby Dan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:22 pm

stags87 wrote:I seem to remember Rob Duffy being an excellent penalty taker.

But a complete arsehole. Allegedly.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:47 pm

Spiritater wrote:

TOO SOON
PYHBO! Episode 2 out Already! Want one?

twitter.com/SatiricalStag
HitchcocksShins
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby geoffhill » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:34 pm

Duffy was both.He is at Basford together Liam Hearn and Ben Hutchinson.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum