{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Penalty

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Penalty

Postby yellows58 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:33 pm

I cannot understand why we did not let Hemmings take the penalty, if he had scored it would surely have boosted his convidence. This could have triggered him into scoring more. After all he is allegedly a striker.
yellows58
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:52 pm

Re: Penalty

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:35 pm

yellows58 wrote:I cannot understand why we did not let Hemmings take the penalty, if he had scored it would surely have boosted his convidence. This could have triggered him into scoring more. After all he is allegedly a striker.

because he missed one at Carlisle. Evans has now said that Angol and Mellis are the designated penalty takers.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14743
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: Penalty

Postby yellows58 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:37 pm

Fair enough.
yellows58
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:52 pm

Re: Penalty

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:01 pm

If the Keeper had saved the pen yesterday Mellis wouldn't be a taker anymore. It was a poor penalty, his only saving grace was it was low and the keeper made a hash of it. Hemings penalty brought a good save imo and only Angol's penalty was any good. These players really are devoid of confidence if they can't strike a ball well from 12 yards. Pro footballers aren't what they used to be. Bring back Tony Kenworthy, he knew how to take a pressure penalty!!!
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Penalty

Postby Spiritater » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:31 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:If the Keeper had saved the pen yesterday Mellis wouldn't be a taker anymore. It was a poor penalty, his only saving grace was it was low and the keeper made a hash of it. Hemings penalty brought a good save imo and only Angol's penalty was any good. These players really are devoid of confidence if they can't strike a ball well from 12 yards. Pro footballers aren't what they used to be. Bring back Tony Kenworthy, he knew how to take a pressure penalty!!!



But not Liam Lawrence eh!
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 16139
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: Penalty

Postby stags87 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:00 am

I seem to remember Rob Duffy being an excellent penalty taker.
stags87
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:55 pm

Re: Penalty

Postby part time pete » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:03 am

stags87 wrote:I seem to remember Rob Duffy being an excellent penalty taker.


Yeah, but the quality of goalkeeper he was taking them against were crap.
We might win against Accrington next time.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager
 
Posts: 4497
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Penalty

Postby ST4GS » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:21 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:If the Keeper had saved the pen yesterday Mellis wouldn't be a taker anymore. It was a poor penalty, his only saving grace was it was low and the keeper made a hash of it. Hemings penalty brought a good save imo and only Angol's penalty was any good. These players really are devoid of confidence if they can't strike a ball well from 12 yards. Pro footballers aren't what they used to be. Bring back Tony Kenworthy, he knew how to take a pressure penalty!!!
We missed one in 1987 at Wembley, remind me who that was?
ST4GS
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: Penalty

Postby Kernow » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:33 am

Keith Cassells missed at Wembley.
Kernow
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3467
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:05 am
Location: Forest Town

Re: Penalty

Postby ParisStag » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:08 am

Spiritater wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:If the Keeper had saved the pen yesterday Mellis wouldn't be a taker anymore. It was a poor penalty, his only saving grace was it was low and the keeper made a hash of it. Hemings penalty brought a good save imo and only Angol's penalty was any good. These players really are devoid of confidence if they can't strike a ball well from 12 yards. Pro footballers aren't what they used to be. Bring back Tony Kenworthy, he knew how to take a pressure penalty!!!



But not Liam Lawrence eh!


It wasn't pressure that made Liam miss at Cardiff, it was cockiness. He was TOO confident. I don't think I've ever seen a cooler penalty taker than him. How many did he score that season? 13?
User avatar
ParisStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3599
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Penalty

Postby oldweststander » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:13 am

My worry was that Mellis had only just come on, he didn't look too confident but luck was with us, thank goodness.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1936
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Re: Penalty

Postby part time pete » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:27 am

It is better to be a lucky manager than a good one.
We might win against Accrington next time.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager
 
Posts: 4497
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Penalty

Postby Spiritater » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:58 am

ParisStag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:If the Keeper had saved the pen yesterday Mellis wouldn't be a taker anymore. It was a poor penalty, his only saving grace was it was low and the keeper made a hash of it. Hemings penalty brought a good save imo and only Angol's penalty was any good. These players really are devoid of confidence if they can't strike a ball well from 12 yards. Pro footballers aren't what they used to be. Bring back Tony Kenworthy, he knew how to take a pressure penalty!!!



But not Liam Lawrence eh!


It wasn't pressure that made Liam miss at Cardiff, it was cockiness. He was TOO confident. I don't think I've ever seen a cooler penalty taker than him. How many did he score that season? 13?


When the real pressure was there he missed, cocky or not. I don't think it bothered him that much either way as he was going to leave.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 16139
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: Penalty

Postby stag861 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:04 am

If Hemmings had missed again where would his confidence be? He needs to get a proper goal to boost him.
stag861
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 658
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:50 am

Re: Penalty

Postby The One » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:06 am

Its the Devils work theses penalty thingy things. We went years without one and scraped through, now we get every other week.
The One
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8832
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: Penalty

Postby Stoney » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:58 am

The One wrote:Its the Devils work theses penalty thingy things. We went years without one and scraped through, now we get every other week.

Which is down to Evans I believe, our players are being much more clever in and around the box just lately.
Stoney
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:25 pm
Location: Bolsover.

Re: Penalty

Postby Amberheart » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:08 pm

stag861 wrote:If Hemmings had missed again where would his confidence be? He needs to get a proper goal to boost him.

That's exactly what I thought too
a stag is a proud & noble beast
User avatar
Amberheart
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Penalty

Postby victor A block » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:17 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
yellows58 wrote:I cannot understand why we did not let Hemmings take the penalty, if he had scored it would surely have boosted his convidence. This could have triggered him into scoring more. After all he is allegedly a striker.

because he missed one at Carlisle. Evans has now said that Angol and Mellis are the designated penalty takers.



Cant say I was particularly impressed with the penalty Mellis took. Apart from the keeper making a hash of it, his run up was so obvious as to where the ball was going, he may as well have placed an ad on our large scoreboard advising of it. Only Angol's first penalty has been anywhere near clinical enough.
victor A block
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 955
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:25 pm

Re: Penalty

Postby Dan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:22 pm

stags87 wrote:I seem to remember Rob Duffy being an excellent penalty taker.


But a complete arsehole. Allegedly.
Dan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5872
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Penalty

Postby HitchcocksShins » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:47 pm

Spiritater wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:If the Keeper had saved the pen yesterday Mellis wouldn't be a taker anymore. It was a poor penalty, his only saving grace was it was low and the keeper made a hash of it. Hemings penalty brought a good save imo and only Angol's penalty was any good. These players really are devoid of confidence if they can't strike a ball well from 12 yards. Pro footballers aren't what they used to be. Bring back Tony Kenworthy, he knew how to take a pressure penalty!!!



But not Liam Lawrence eh!


TOO SOON
PYHBO! Episode 2 out Already! Want one?

twitter.com/SatiricalStag
User avatar
HitchcocksShins
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1371
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:17 am

Re: Penalty

Postby geoffhill » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:34 pm

Duffy was both.He is at Basford together Liam Hearn and Ben Hutchinson.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1539
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:21 pm


Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests