{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Resilience and determination

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Resilience and determination

Postby stag_27 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:36 pm

A key development this season is the ability to respond when going behind. I always feel like we have it in us to turn it around.

In the league this year we have only been behind for about 70 minutes in total across 9 games. The only time we lost a game was when the opposition scored into injury time, meaning there was no time to respond.

Whilst the team is clearly still gelling (midfield especially), the resilience and determination being shown is terrific, and holds us in really good stead for the season.

I think we'd all have taken 1 defeat from first 9. It is not perfect at the moment, but the team and the management deserve real credit for the steadfastness and resolve being displayed.

Whilst it can be frustrating at the moment, I think it is because we look at the personnel we have and think we should be playing quality football as well as winning football. Basically we have gotten a little greedy (after prolonged famine, thoroughly understandable). We disagree about which two of Angol, Hemmings or Rose should start; discuss relative merits of Anderson, Atkinson, Mcdonald, Butcher, Digby, Mellis, Byron; have Benning, Bennett and Diamond on the bench. Our squad is deeper than I can remember.

20% of the way through the season and we are in a good place, with the promise of even more to come.

Compare and contrast with where we were a year ago.

Good times.

COYS.
stag_27
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Resilience and determination

Postby Rob » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:52 pm

Good points, put simpler we are, at the moment, hard to play against and even harder to watch.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:03 pm

Evans said in a recent interview that most teams can take 18 months to gel if not longer. We've only got like half a season/a season and we're doing very well to say we have pretty much a new team apart from 3 or 4 faces.

We should only get better hopefully, but if we get promoted i wouldn't care how we played football as long as we had some success from it.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:46 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Evans said in a recent interview that most teams can take 18 months to gel if not longer. We've only got like half a season/a season and we're doing very well to say we have pretty much a new team apart from 3 or 4 faces.

We should only get better hopefully, but if we get promoted i wouldn't care how we played football as long as we had some success from it.

I've heard of managers trying to buy themselves down, but no manager is going to get 18 months for a team to gel, nor should it take 18 months for a team to gel. Half a season tops.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:51 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Evans said in a recent interview that most teams can take 18 months to gel if not longer. We've only got like half a season/a season and we're doing very well to say we have pretty much a new team apart from 3 or 4 faces.

I've heard of managers trying to buy themselves down, but no manager is going to get 18 months for a team to gel, nor should it take 18 months for a team to gel. Half a season tops.

The 18 month talk is about 'we better start trying now our 2 year contract is up for renewal'.
We might win against Accrington next time.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:01 pm

I really don't get this 'needing time to gel' cliché. They're professionals. I start a new job soon and I'll be expected to go a good job and 'work well as a team' from the start. If not I'll fail my probationary period...
Tre Cool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:27 pm

Tre Cool wrote:I really don't get this 'needing time to gel' cliché. They're professionals. I start a new job soon and I'll be expected to go a good job and 'work well as a team' from the start. If not I'll fail my probationary period...

Too true, Tre!
Mr Evans is on borrowed time
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:31 pm

Rob wrote:Good points, put simpler we are, at the moment, hard to play against and even harder to watch.

Hard to watch!
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:12 am

Tre Cool wrote:I really don't get this 'needing time to gel' cliché. They're professionals. I start a new job soon and I'll be expected to go a good job and 'work well as a team' from the start. If not I'll fail my probationary period...

Utter bull. It takes a fair amount of time to get used to a job.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:57 am

bellwhiff wrote:

It took me nearly a month and half/2 months to be fully confident in my new job.

You don't need time to gel if you're stacking shelves or pushing trolleys round a warehouse all day
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:02 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

It took me nearly a month and half/2 months to be fully confident in my new job.

You don't need time to gel if you're stacking shelves or pushing trolleys round a warehouse all day

The analogy assumes when you move jobs you are taking on a different role. Moving from being a footballer at one club to a footballer at another club is not really the same. A player can take times to adjust if he is playing a different role, but you would still be able to see their basic qualities.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:13 am

I think everybody after changing clubs and having the summer break needs a bit of time to get back to proper match fitness and gear themselves up especially playing on the away nights in wet /windy/cold conditions and u need to be 'up for it' much more and the warm swimming pools of Malta seem a million miles away.
However, I don't think this period should be longer than about say half a dozen to maybe 8 games and would expect players and the team selection to be getting sorted by then injuries considered of course.

Hoping Hemmings and Butcher are nearing the end of this 'bedding in' stage as a lot is resting on their signatures.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:25 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

The analogy assumes when you move jobs you are taking on a different role. Moving from being a footballer at one club to a footballer at another club is not really the same. A player can take times to adjust if he is playing a different role, but you would still be able to see their basic qualities.

True - IF you are moving to a club WITH a settled team who already know their roles AND they fully understand the tactics / style the gaffer wants implementing. If you start a new department (even doing the same job as before) then it takes far longer simply because everyone is understanding who is who and how they work - add in the fact that you're often working alongside different people every few days, and sometimes working outside your usual role and its easy to see why it can take so long.

How long is hard to quantify, at least for me. But the bigger the team / more often it changes / length of service each player has been here for / positions you start each game in would certainly make this extremely complex to have much efficiency about it. Our biggest advantage is the opposition find it even more difficult! ;)
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Expat Stag » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:52 pm

"If you pay your money to see a film starring Danny Dyer you don't expect it to be The Godfather Part II"
Hope I'm wrong
Expat Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stag_27 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:23 pm

Well I completely conkering jinxed that didn't I.

Next thread will be about county remaining unbeaten for rest of season . . . .
stag_27
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Spiritater » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:17 am

We need time to gel, and we won't gel till Xmas time according to some. I'm off to Tesco for a couple of raspberry jellies to give to Steve next time I see him to see if it'll help.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:26 am

Spiritater wrote:We need time to gel, and we won't gel till Xmas time according to some. I'm off to Tesco for a couple of raspberry jellies to give to Steve next time I see him to see if it'll help.

He'd got lots of jelly last night, running through their backbones.
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:29 am

Are we the only team to have new players to bed in?
stag861
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ParisStag » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:33 am

stag861 wrote:Are we the only team to have new players to bed in?

Probably the only team to have that many new players expected to be starters.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:17 am

Well I'd definitely be sacked after a week in the office with the kind of performance shown last night. Steve needs to buck his ideas up, pick a settled side and less of the touchline antics that get him and his team nowhere, or quite rightly he should go too.
Tre Cool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ParisStag » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:01 am

Tre Cool wrote:Well I'd definitely be sacked after a week in the office with the kind of performance shown last night. Steve needs to buck his ideas up, pick a settled side and less of the touchline antics that get him and his team nowhere, or quite rightly he should go too.

You think we should sack him before he's had a chance to fulfill his remit? The mission he's been entrusted with full filling is to have us in a promotion spot by the END OF THE SEASON - not in September. Jesus.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:05 am

finally a bit of sense on here from paris. i just put in another thread that there's still over 100 points to play for
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:10 am

You had to be there last night. No quality, no creativity, no composure, no desire, and no ideas, apart from resorting to Coxy hoofball, a joke with Sterling-James in the middle and Rosey out wide. Logan resorted to type, no ball awareness, apart from a couple of good saves. I bet County can't wait for Saturday, a disaster await's I fear. At least the gaffer will be in the stands.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:12 am

It's a different day saturday, form goes out the window in derbies and it's who can take control and produce that quality to win a game. anything could happen
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:13 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:It's a different day saturday, form goes out the window in derbies and it's who can take control and produce that quality to win a game. anything could happen

Exactly! we will be up for this we like to cause upsets !
a stag is a proud & noble beast
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum