{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Steve...

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Steve...

Postby Stoney » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:22 pm

From what I remember Benning played left wing and our left back (can't remember who played there that day) got injured half hour in and we never saw him left wing again.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:41 pm

facts are that we've looked far more solid with hunt at left back.

not as exciting, not as enterprising but im more confident of having a solid back line with him in.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:30 am

I disagree with that. I think we've been more than a touch fortunate at the back - certainly the last 2 home games. Wycombe were only kept out by a superb keeping display and again today he made some great saves. They also had a number of other good chances that were deflected or just wide.

Having Hunt in hasn't firmed us up. On paper it looks that way but in reality we've been lucky. On the flip side, the last few games we've created very little, which isnt just his fault but hes partly to blame.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:41 am

I agree to an extent, but hunt must keep his place as he hasn't done much wrong at all since coming in. One mistake could be very costly and could lead to benning being back in the team

Personally, I'd like to see CJ on the left hand side. He hasn't had a sniff all season so far has he? If he could work on his final ball we'd have a real player - unless he's going out on loan
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:19 am

Jamie wrote:I disagree with that. I think we've been more than a touch fortunate at the back - certainly the last 2 home games. Wycombe were only kept out by a superb keeping display and again today he made some great saves. They also had a number of other good chances that were deflected or just wide.

Having Hunt in hasn't firmed us up. On paper it looks that way but in reality we've been lucky. On the flip side, the last few games we've created very little, which isnt just his fault but hes partly to blame.

That's called good defending youth.
abc
First Team
First Team

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:09 am

abc wrote:
Jamie wrote:I disagree with that. I think we've been more than a touch fortunate at the back - certainly the last 2 home games. Wycombe were only kept out by a superb keeping display and again today he made some great saves. They also had a number of other good chances that were deflected or just wide.

That's called good defending youth.

Agree with that, any semi-decent team will get several gilt edged chances in a game. If they didn't we'd be saying how poor they were.

Only alternative would be to paint the turf with designated shooting zones, where the opposition can roll gentle 5mph pea rollers across the floor to Logan ;)
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:38 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:I agree to an extent, but hunt must keep his place as he hasn't done much wrong at all since coming in. One mistake could be very costly and could lead to benning being back in the team

Personally, I'd like to see CJ on the left hand side. He hasn't had a sniff all season so far has he? If he could work on his final ball we'd have a real player - unless he's going out on loan

He's had 18 months to do that and still shows no improvement.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:44 pm

You might be right, but we've not seen him after a SE pre season. Potters had a go and not done much, Macdonald and Anderson seem our best wingers but i'd still like to see CJ play a bit more
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:49 pm

CJ to be fair had a good crack of the whip last season and is full of promise but no end product. He is a luxury player to bring on when we have all but won a game. I am surprised he has not been loaned out this year.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:51 pm

So would I bobby, but CJ can't 'play', he just runs fast, goes nowhere and creates nothing. He's had chances in the past and done diddly squat with em.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:53 pm

That's true, but not had a chance this season. SE obviously thinks something of him otherwise he would've been released, unless he's waiting for the right loan to come in for him

I'd like to see more of omari sterling james also
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby robda1st » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:17 pm

You could see last season and this pre season Cj can run very fast but doesn't really offer much else and we aren't really in a position to give him chances this season. Pretty much every time he gets the ball he runs a bit, loses possession and puts us back under pressure. In games he's played his pace scares defenders initially but they quickly learn he'll just waste it.

McDonald, potter, Anderson etc all have much more ability and even when there poor you feel there more likely to create a chance.

Best thing we can do for him is to send him on loan to help his development
robda1st
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:46 pm

Spiritater wrote:So would I bobby, but CJ can't 'play', he just runs fast, goes nowhere and creates nothing. He's had chances in the past and done diddly squat with em.

If you are right then it suggests either CJ is so limited that he will always be a no -end product player, or that he isnt receiving the correct coaching to improve his end product. Which one of the two it is i dont know, but the current manager isnt renowned for his coaching ability. Personally, i dont think MTFC have had a decent coach since Paul Holland, but that is just an opinion.
garlic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum