{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Steve...

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Steve...

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:30 pm

Please play your footballers. What a difference when you keep the ball!!!
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Re: Steve...

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:34 pm

Said before the season started that Mellis should be the first name on the team sheet. Play him instead of butcher who has done nothing other than his goal at carlisle
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:36 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:Please play your footballers. What a difference when you keep the ball!!!

Ok Arsene.
abc
First Team
First Team

Postby Jamie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:41 pm

This team is still struggling to work out what it is. The combined with the multitude of options we have has led to a bit of an identity crisis.

Rose has saved Evans from a lot of stick tonight.

We need to decide how we want to play, then setup for that and pick the best players for it.

Either way Mellis is too good not to start home games.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:43 pm

I think we're also missing Benning down the left wing, hunt hasn't done a lot wrong but he doesn't bomb forward like benning does. Potter has had his crack at the whip and not done much. Mellis and Anderson in for Butcher/Digby and Potter for me
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:55 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:I think we're also missing Benning down the left wing, hunt hasn't done a lot wrong but he doesn't bomb forward like benning does. Potter has had his crack at the whip and not done much. Mellis and Anderson in for Butcher/Digby and Potter for me

I think you're missing the point re Hunt, just look how few goals we have conceded with him in the team.
abc
First Team
First Team

Postby bux46 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:00 pm

Why not try Hunt and Benning in the same team ????? both players like to get forward ... both can cross .... both can defend .... win win ....
bux46
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:02 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:I think we're also missing Benning down the left wing, hunt hasn't done a lot wrong but he doesn't bomb forward like benning does. Potter has had his crack at the whip and not done much. Mellis and Anderson in for Butcher/Digby and Potter for me

Hunt has done little wrong. He has made our defence more solid. I thought Cambridge were a good side, but credit to us for a battling performance. Two very good saves from Logan. Only worry for me is we need to sort out a designated penalty taker.
Last edited by Amber Andy on Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:02 pm

abc wrote:

I think you're missing the point re Hunt, just look how few goals we have conceded with him in the team.

Said the other week we needed White and Benning at fullback. Got comments about defenders defending. White made a goal last week and won the pen today. We look fad better going forwards with fullbacks that will get in the oppositions box.
wink68
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:04 pm

I would be tempted to try Benning on the left and put Macca on the right.

Mellis simply has to play, particularly at home. Butcher, Digby and Hemmings were all awful today. 5's at best.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:05 pm

Hunt hasn't put a foot wrong, he's been very good but I was just saying we miss the direct attacking of benning taking on his man. Hunt doesn't deserve to be dropped though and he probably won't anytime soon!

Benning on the wing could be a good idea as our wingers don't seem to bomb down the wing and take on their men like CJ and Mal do
Last edited by bobbystagsfan on Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:06 pm

Anyone who thinks Benning should play ahead of Hunt wants their head looking at. Been far more solid with Hunt, and are yet to lose...
Hjeldefan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:08 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:Anyone who thinks Benning should play ahead of Hunt wants their head looking at. Been far more solid with Hunt, and are yet to lose...

Don't think anyone is saying benning should play, just a DISCUSSION about how hunt is more defensive than benning.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:08 pm

..your team is boring.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:35 pm

Benning bombing forward was our achilles heel, he bombed forward and we got caught out time and time again.

Hunt for me is the find of the season so far, could Benning be played wide on the left in his own right?
Last edited by oldweststander on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby robda1st » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:55 pm

oldweststander wrote:Beginning bombing forward was our achilles heel, he bombed forward and we got caught out time and time again.

Hunt for me is the find of the season so far, could Benning be played wide on the left in his own right?

I agree, hunt was probably the most underwhelming signing but has proved he's worth his place so far.
robda1st
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:10 pm

robda1st wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Beginning bombing forward was our achilles heel, he bombed forward and we got caught out time and time again.

I agree, hunt was probably the most underwhelming signing but has proved he's worth his place so far.

I agree too, I really like Hunt, a good find.
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:11 pm

We looked better with Anderson, Mellis and Angol on too!!!
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:59 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:We looked better with Anderson, Mellis and Angol on too!!!

Because the ball suddenly stuck. We've gone from the start of the season finally with a side all comfortable on the ball to last weeks and today's hump it anywhere side, I'm sure Digby thought we were in black.

If you have the ball, the opposition cannot score, it's a simple game.

Love Arsene
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby stags4eva » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:15 pm

Murray tried Benning on the left wing and it didn't work. The reason, because he's a left back!!!!

25 man squad and some fans asking for square pegs in round holes, don't get it.
stags4eva
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:17 pm

stags4eva wrote:Murray tried Benning on the left wing and it didn't work. The reason, because he's a left back!!!!

people are just discussing the potential of benning at left wing because he's good going forward. no one is gushing for benning to play LW like you make out
Last edited by bobbystagsfan on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:18 pm

stags4eva wrote:Murray tried Benning on the left wing and it didn't work. The reason, because he's a left back!!!!

When was this I can't remember ?
MTFCMAD
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:09 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:

When was this I can't remember ?

Neither can I. I think he started there once for about 15 mins with Taft left back but then Taft went off injured.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:16 pm

corr blimey, 15 minutes at left wing? obviously not good enough
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:17 pm

Think it was Barnet at home where he started there and moved back. Think he also may have played there against Stevenage and was poor but so was everyone else. He was a left winger before he came here so I don't see why he can't still be one.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum