{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The U's scorefred sponsored by lets keep our home form going

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The U's scorefred sponsored by lets keep our home form g

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:51 pm

Once again, a low quality, limited sophistication performance where the game was won at the back. I'm definitely not digging the Digby- Macca-Butcher-Potter midfield which looks soooo devoid on creation that it's reversing human evolution. It took the introduction of the substitutes to finally establish threats on the U's goal.

However, one thing I will say is that we are unlikely to come up against a more physical threat at the back than Ibehre and Ikpeazu. Cambridge will batter a lot of teams in to submission with those dangerous long balls and set pieces but our defence dealt manfully with it and when the manager finally brought on the right set of players, lo and behold we had half a dozen shots on goal.

A poor performance; a get-out-of-jail result; a win that would have been a defeat last season. It showed mental character to come from behind, but c'mon, this team has a heck of a lot of quality on paper but are winning in a fashion every bit as ugly as Coxy's Conference boys. Personally I think we're getting value for money regarding everybody's attitude, yet are being drastically short-changed on ability.

Time to pick a more adventurous starting line-up at home Eco.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:55 pm

Cambridge are a good side. They move the ball well and their front two are a handful. Good job Pearce and Murfin near to their best. Two fine saves by Logan. Nice finish by Danny Rose. But he needs to curb his enthusiasm at times, his late yellow card was unnecessary. I thought we played decent enough, so can't understand some of the criticism on here. Only gripe I have is we need to have a designated penalty taker in all situations. I know Angol was not on the field, but it appears very unprofessional when two players are vying to take the spot kick.
Last edited by Amber Andy on Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:56 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Once again, a low quality, limited sophistication performance where the game was won at the back. I'm definitely not digging the Digby- Macca-Butcher-Potter midfield which looks soooo devoid on creation that it's reversing human evolution. It took the introduction of the substitutes to finally establish threats on the U's goal.

However, one thing I will say is that we are unlikely to come up against a more physical threat at the back than Ibehre and Ikpeazu. Cambridge will batter a lot of teams in to submission with those dangerous long balls and set pieces but our defence dealt manfully with it and when the manager finally brought on the right set of players, lo and behold we had half a dozen shots on goal.

A poor performance; a get-out-of-jail result; a win that would have been a defeat last season. It showed mental character to come from behind, but c'mon, this team has a heck of a lot of quality on paper but are winning in a fashion every bit as ugly as Coxy's Conference boys. Personally I think we're getting value for money regarding everybody's attitude, yet are being drastically short-changed on ability.

I agree doomy, Butcher seemingly offers very little and digby wasn't great today. Mellis HAS to start nearly every game, he oozes class on the ball and is probably the chris clements we were all waiting for but never got. I don't think we've nailed the midfield yet, but mine would be Anderson Mellis Atkinson? Macdonald

not sure who the ideal partner is for Mellis
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:07 pm

I think we missed Byrom today too. His set pieces are better than Maccas imo, mind you my set pieces are better than maccas too :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:31 pm

:)
sky sports video

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... dge-united

:mtfc: :coys: :mtfc:
Last edited by STAGS FOR LIFE on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:50 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:One very good save from Logan. Mirfin was fantastic again. Pearce was mostly very good but lost Legge for the goal.

But then made up for it by beautifully guiding a header straight into Roses path for the winner
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:03 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Once again, a low quality, limited sophistication performance where the game was won at the back. I'm definitely not digging the Digby- Macca-Butcher-Potter midfield which looks soooo devoid on creation that it's reversing human evolution. It took the introduction of the substitutes to finally establish threats on the U's goal.

Everything that man just said.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:07 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:One very good save from Logan. Mirfin was fantastic again. Pearce was mostly very good but lost Legge for the goal.

But then made up for it by beautifully guiding a header straight into Roses path for the winner

Yep as I say mostly very good.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Re: Call the cops

Postby Calstag » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:54 pm

Stags 2002 wrote:Looked like they apprehended the suspect sat in R block....what was happening over there?

Definitely happy with the 3 pts though!

:coys:

Young kid threw a bottle onto the pitch, everyone including his parents, gave stewards and the copper some right stick, they didn't see it happen? Apparently... but as an eye whitnesss of more than 1 ! The kid did throw the bottle... and I think it's a lesson learned for him not to act like an idiot in future!!!

Well done on this occasion to the stewards for actually doing their job!! Regardless of age to this lad.
Calstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:53 am

Today's robbery of three bags of coal puts us nearly back on track. I think we should have 18 bags of coal based on performances and we currently have 16 bags on the coal truck behind the engine on the Promotion Express.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:42 am

I think we're about where we deserve to be. The last three games have been dogged and have been won by our defending. Our forward ambition has been questionable - very disappointing to say the least - little structure and even less craft. For me, we've walked away with 7pts from play that probably deserved no more than 2pts.

You can look at that either of two ways:
They've been hard-fought, dogs of war scraps; where we've been hard to beat and largely taken our chances. Points won in the face of adversity.
Or.
Evans still hasn't the foggiest on his best side, the team hasn't evolved in to knowing what it is yet. And let's face it, we're collecting the points but the truth is that Paul Cox and Adam Murray would have been slaughtered for the type of performances on display this month.

I'm thinking that currently it's a mix of the pair and we need to see improvement for when the ole wench of Nottingham rolls in to town.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:10 am

We are nowhere near a good enough midfield unit, we can pass the ball but not win it.

Who do we have in the squad who can do that?

Good three points, we will play much better than that ad lose at sometime this season.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:19 am

Looks like you are saying we are missing Joel Bryom, who'd have thought it.
We might win against Accrington next time.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby scottyd281 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:57 am

Cambridge are a decent outfit and don't concede many, so to score 2 against a well organised outfit is decent in my opinion, we can't expect to turn teams over such as Cambridge with such ease when they come to the One Call as they have the class and game plan. Even though they have two big guns up front they do not put the ball in the back of the net with the chances they create. Didn't the Subs make the difference today, totally changed the team. Good win against a well organised side 2-1 . COYS.
scottyd281
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Foxy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:01 am

my notes:

macca was everywhere yesterday left, right mid, defence, and 1 time running onto a thru ball in the CF position (KH?) . butch and hemms did little to affect the game. diggers lost the ball too often. KP and Mirfs were brill. Evo is a very fat man who looks like he's getting fatter.Also he refused to shake hands with the oppos gaffer again- recurring theme.
Had a horrible feeling sammy stag was going to start rutting Sally in front of family stand when danny dany rose scored the winner.
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:10 am

Like last week I thought the opposition were on top for large portions of the game without creating many clear cut chances.
I also think we missed Byrom as Digby worked hard, won balls and then gave it away again. I think I read that he started as a centre back and he looks like a centre back in midfield, a bit like Collins. I think this is what made Butcher look below standard in the attacking mid role.
When Mellis came on Butcher did the battling and let mellis play further forward, mellis is quality at this level but not as complete which I think is why Evans chooses which games to start him.
Jimstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:16 am

part time pete wrote:Looks like you are saying we are missing Joel Bryom, who'd have thought it.

We are.
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby tmwilson » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:21 am

I do think Evans has a dilemma about his strongest team . I wouldn't like his job . .we have players with so much obvious talent ,Atkinson , Chapman , Anderson even McDonald but I think the system we are playing is affecting them . We were outstanding against Luton and Crewe when we played it along the ground but for some reason we have resorted to playing hoof ball for long periods of the game .
We are missing Byrom but we need another Whiteman kind of player in midfield

Obviously we are getting the results with the way we are playing which is the main thing but we are also not getting the best out of some of the players because of it .
I was shouting from the roof tops when we signed Hemmings but I've been disappointed with him so far.
Yorke won't agree with what I put but I think Spencer can do the same job as Hemmings . In fact I think Spencer is better at winning headers , holding the ball up and looked more likely in scorng than Hemmings .
tmwilson
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stag861 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:27 am

Poor corners again. we have one player on the goalie, who is known for coming out. So what do we do, in swingers straight into the goalies hands. Either have another person on their line or move the ball away from the goal. So many wasted opportunities.
stag861
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:50 am

DoomMerchant wrote:For me, we've walked away with 7pts [in the last three games] that probably deserved no more than 2pts.

I was saying that yesterday Doomy but it makes up for Luton and Accrington. I also thought we should have won at Crewe and Carlisle based on our 2nd half performances in those games and missing the penalty at Carlisle.

Our worst two performances of the season have been at home against Wycombe and Cambridge and we have picked up 4 points. If we eventually click into gear then things could get really exciting.

Agree about missing Joel Byrom. He is our best defensive midfield player and gives our attacking midfield players the platform to go forward. Digby did very well defensively in that role against Lincoln but disappointed yesterday. Butcher did not look comfortable in that position either. He had a poor game. I think Anderson and Atkinson could do a job in there although I think someone else said that Rhys Bennett has played in that position before.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:04 am

part time pete wrote:Looks like you are saying we are missing Joel Bryom, who'd have thought it.

I said it Pete, think you were about the only one to agree.

Digby reminds me of a certain Frazer MacLachlan, will work and run all day but can't find an Amber shirt 5 yards away.
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:36 am

Credit must be given to the team as they came up against a very good Cambridge side ,my view is the best we have had at the mill this season .
it was quiet in the Q block because Cambridge were on on top right until we got our penalty , they looked flummoxed after that and the Super Stags grew after that and went on gain a amazing win .
Credit to the team who battled all the way through the game to snatch 3 bags of coal and i applaud the the team for showing great character
:clap: :clap: :clap:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:02 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:50 pm

tmwilson wrote:I do think Evans has a dilemma about his strongest team . I wouldn't like his job . .we have players with so much obvious talent ,Atkinson , Chapman , Anderson even McDonald but I think the system we are playing is affecting them . We were outstanding against Luton and Crewe when we played it along the ground but for some reason we have resorted to playing hoof ball for long periods of the game .
We are missing Byrom but we need another Whiteman kind of player in midfield

Obviously we are getting the results with the way we are playing which is the main thing but we are also not getting the best out of some of the players because of it .
I was shouting from the roof tops when we signed Hemmings but I've been disappointed with him so far.
Yorke won't agree with what I put but I think Spencer can do the same job as Hemmings . In fact I think Spencer is better at winning headers , holding the ball up and looked more likely in scorng than Hemmings .

????
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:48 pm

Happy for Danny Rose, he can get 20 goals easily this year if he carries on like that.... Not seen much in Angol, and not seen anything in Hemmings to think they should be infront of danny.... The pass from hemmings back to white when we got the penalty was an awful touch and summed him up, If we wouldn't of won the pen it would of been highlighted more.

great result playing right until the end! We need a system that gets Mellis in the team and on the ball more. If we want to beat county then we need to see more of the ball, lumping it long won't work, and we won't do much if Digby is in the middle... not impressed with him, gives the ball away far too much.
Sedgwick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum