{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Little perspective....

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Little perspective....

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:15 pm

We are only 3 pts off 3rd place and haven't even got out of first gear yet!!

When we do shift up a gear or two we will be unplayable for some teams.

Stop the booing and get behind the team, we earned a valuable point in difficult conditions.

Onwards to Lincoln! (Which for the record I'd expect and in fairness be happy with a draw, followed by wins against Cambridge and Cheltenham).

:coys:
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Little perspective....

Postby Brough » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:19 pm

What were the strikers upto tonight then? Totally disinterested. No wonder Oxford shipped Hemmings out!
Brough
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby die hirsche » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:44 pm

Stags 2002 wrote:We are only 3 pts off 3rd place and haven't even got out of first gear yet!!

With the money spent I'd be expecting at least second gear by now.

Maybe the clutch is slipping.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:05 am

Brough wrote:What were the strikers upto tonight then? Totally disinterested. No wonder Oxford shipped Hemmings out!

The wycombe defenders are what were up. Miles better than grimsbys defence and let our strikers have nothing
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:46 am

die hirsche wrote:
Stags 2002 wrote:We are only 3 pts off 3rd place and haven't even got out of first gear yet!!

With the money spent I'd be expecting at least second gear by now.

Maybe the clutch is slipping.

We could for all we know be in top gear already. No chance of any new parts for the engine for 3 months either.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby west country stag » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:14 am

We need to change it up front ... Rosey deserves a start & also Spencer
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
west country stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Spiritater » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:20 am

west country stag wrote:We need to change it up front ... Rosey deserves a start & also Spencer

Cue meltdown in Yorkie land :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby stuhall1973 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:28 am

Hemmings? ... Hmmm!... Get Rose back in
stuhall1973
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:41 am

wohhhhhh it's not Spencer time just yet
Stevie Evans Barmy Army
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:58 am

No one up front to get anywhere near winning the first ball. angel just jumps into people and Hemming jumps in a space nowhere near the ball. One half decent and not too tall, bossed them all night.
stag861
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Im not the real OND » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:35 am

Personally, I thought Angol holds the ball up well. He is always looking to bring the ball down and shields it well. Last night he probably held onto it a bit longer than he should have done a few occasions. Hemmings, I like but he didn't have his best game, but to say he looks disinterested is pretty harsh. Where both struggle is when the ball is lumped up to them aimlessly, which Evans seems to like his defenders to do.

There are signs that the front three could click soon. They are linking up well on the edge of the box on occasions. The biggest problem Evans has is how to accommodate both strikers and Mellis in behind them without concededing ground in the midfield.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:48 am

The challenge Evans has got is that he’s acquired good, creative midfielders, and good strikers but is now trying to shoe-horn all of them into the team Fantasy Football style, and teams (like Wycombe) will wise up to the fact that all they have to do is flood the midfield and make our good, creative midfield players spend all of their time tracking, rather than creating – which is stifling their strengths and making them look average. The only way that Butcher, Mellis and MacDonald (all good individual forward thinking players) are going to play well in the same team together is if you have a really good holding midfielder or two (which isnt Byrom on his own) sat behind them covering and allowing them to get on with going forward. For me, if you’re going to put those 3 midfielders in then you have to sacrifice a forward and go one up front and have someone like Digby and Byrom sat in front of the back 4. But will Evans do that after he’s hammered JR’s door down for 5 strikers?
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:01 pm

Putting a player just in front of the back 4?

IS THAT YOU MURRAY? :lol:

I do think we need a ball winner though, we seem to have tippy tappy players who are good creatively but not so good at chasing down their men and winning the ball back. I thought butcher was this man but apparently not
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:08 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Putting a player just in front of the back 4?

IS THAT YOU MURRAY? :lol:

I do think we need a ball winner though, we seem to have tippy tappy players who are good creatively but not so good at chasing down their men and winning the ball back. I thought butcher was this man but apparently not

I'm not a manager, if I was I'd be getting paid as much and spending as much as Evans - what it looks like to me is that he's picking the midfield and forwards in the same way that I pick my Fantasy Football team and hoping that their overall quality will be enough to wear down teams, it has clearly worked when faced with some teams (FGR and Grimsby), but when it doesn't we end up looking bang average and hoping that the defence/keeper keep a clean sheet. I've no idea what the solution is, and his way might end up being the solution, I'm just offering my ha'penny worth only a few games in.
Last edited by Marky Mark on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Marky Mark wrote:The challenge Evans has got is that he’s acquired good, creative midfielders, and good strikers but is now trying to shoe-horn all of them into the team Fantasy Football style, and teams (like Wycombe) will wise up to the fact that all they have to do is flood the midfield and make our good, creative midfield players spend all of their time tracking, rather than creating – which is stifling their strengths and making them look average. The only way that Butcher, Mellis and MacDonald (all good individual forward thinking players) are going to play well in the same team together is if you have a really good holding midfielder or two (which isnt Byrom on his own) sat behind them covering and allowing them to get on with going forward. For me, if you’re going to put those 3 midfielders in then you have to sacrifice a forward and go one up front and have someone like Digby and Byrom sat in front of the back 4. But will Evans do that after he’s hammered JR’s door down for 5 strikers?

Its not a system I particularly like but I'm warming to the idea of wing backs. Something like:

-----------------Logan----------------------
------Pearce ----Mirfin---Bennett-----
White-------------------------------Benning
-----------Byrom-------Atkinson-----------
-------------------Mellis-----------------
-----------Angol---------Hemmings-----

It allows the full backs to concentrate on what they are good at going forward, with some added security with an extra Centre half. Bennett and Pearce either side of Mirfin would provide some pace to cover Mirfin.

It took three substitutions for Evans to stumble on it, but midfield looked much stronger with Atkinson alongside Bryom last night.

It allows the luxury of Mellis in behind the front two. I think that front three has some real potential and wouldn't like to see it broken up just yet.

What it does do is leave the plethera of wingers he's signed on the bench. I don't tend to like the system as I don't think it provides enough width but nor does the system he currently using.

Id be amazed if he did change his system but wingbacks and two in midfield seems much more robust than the diamond system he seems to prefer but allows him to keep a front three.
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:23 pm

Im not the real OND wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:The challenge Evans has got is that he’s acquired good, creative midfielders, and good strikers but is now trying to shoe-horn all of them into the team Fantasy Football style, and teams (like Wycombe) will wise up to the fact that all they have to do is flood the midfield and make our good, creative midfield players spend all of their time tracking, rather than creating – which is stifling their strengths and making them look average. The only way that Butcher, Mellis and MacDonald (all good individual forward thinking players) are going to play well in the same team together is if you have a really good holding midfielder or two (which isnt Byrom on his own) sat behind them covering and allowing them to get on with going forward. For me, if you’re going to put those 3 midfielders in then you have to sacrifice a forward and go one up front and have someone like Digby and Byrom sat in front of the back 4. But will Evans do that after he’s hammered JR’s door down for 5 strikers?

Its not a system I particularly like but I'm warming to the idea of wing backs. Something like:

It allows the full backs to concentrate on what they are good at going forward, with some added security with an extra Centre half. Bennett and Pearce either side of Mirfin would provide some pace to cover Mirfin.

It took three substitutions for Evans to stumble on it, but midfield looked much stronger with Atkinson alongside Bryom last night.

It allows the luxury of Mellis in behind the front two. I think that front three has some real potential and wouldn't like to see it broken up just yet.

What it does do is leave the plethera of wingers he's signed on the bench. I don't tend to like the system as I don't think it provides enough width but nor does the system he currently using.

Id be amazed if he did change his system but wingbacks and two in midfield seems much more robust than the diamond system he seems to prefer but allows him to keep a front three.

Like the look of that, could also have Macca/Potter in the ten role.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:25 pm

I am confused as to what Hemmings brings to the party.

Maybe he's got something we've all not seen yet (I bloody hope so)
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:29 pm

adamstag wrote:I am confused as to what Hemmings brings to the party.

let's give him a bit more time eh?

2nd half the strikers were never gonna win anything with the wind and CB's had them figured out
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:09 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
adamstag wrote:I am confused as to what Hemmings brings to the party.

let's give him a bit more time eh?

2nd half the strikers were never gonna win anything with the wind and CB's had them figured out

What wind ? Most of the game the corner flags where limp not even a flutter n if there was any wind it was driving across the pitch West Stand towards the Bishop... I agree with the CB had the measure of the Stags front 2/3
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:21 pm

A couple of better penalty kicks and we'd be in 3rd place. So if there is a weakness, logically it's down to the penalty taking.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:35 pm

Isn't it strange how there is no Logan bashes today, football fans seem to go which way the wind blows ( no pun intended ) in a few weeks we could be in the top three then it will all be praise for Evo and the team, it's early days yet .
CassellsCap
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:04 pm

CassellsCap wrote:Isn't it strange how there is no Logan bashes today, football fans seem to go which way the wind blows ( no pun intended ) in a few weeks we could be in the top three then it will all be praise for Evo and the team, it's early days yet .

Who can we blame now though? THERE HAS TO BE SOMEONE!!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:21 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Cant see this myself. Personally I think Anderson is a better player than Atkinson, and the chances of Butcher not playing in the side ( although not overly impressive so far) is probably nil.
victor A block
First Team
First Team

Postby Im not the real OND » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:37 pm

Just because people have pointed out that a player has played badly or a manager has made a mistake doesn't automatically mean that they are looking for a scapegoat or an individual to blame.

I suppose that this is the internet and therefore it should be expected but it seems to be common place whereby people think that any view that differs from their own is an abomination of free speech and must be defended to the death whether it be through insult, ridicule or the polar opposite of any argument. There can only be Black and White (remember him?), whereas actually the majority of people are trying to make reasoned point. The idea of having a debate and accepting difference is becoming a lost art form.
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:40 pm

victor A block wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Cant see this myself. Personally I think Anderson is a better player than Atkinson, and the chances of Butcher not playing in the side ( although not overly impressive so far) is probably nil.

Like I said, id be surprised if he changed. Anderson probably is the better player. But as Marky Mark has already said, cramming the best players into a side and hoping for the best is akin to Fantasy Football. Having Atkinson in the middle was the only time last night that the midfield looked balanced and competitive in my opinion.
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum