{ the forum }

Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

what went wrong tonight

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

what went wrong tonight

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:18 pm

both strikers didn't come back from offside positions all night
midfield sat to deep
played hooooof
they never stopped pulling us back every time we tried to attack
they gaffered us and played on the floor through midfield
Stevie Evans Barmy Army
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Re: what went wrong tonight

Postby Jamie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:22 pm

Setup was wrong, front men were poor, midfield was poor, right back was poor. Effort was lacking at times and they actually tried to keep and pass the ball.

Evans needs to change this system, and sharpish.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:37 pm

Jamie wrote:Setup was wrong, front men were poor, midfield was poor, right back was poor. Effort was lacking at times and they actually tried to keep and pass the ball.

Evans needs to change this system, and sharpish.

Wycombe were a well organised side and after the first 15 minutes they learned how to deal with the Stags format. They dealt with the appalling conditions better than we did. Evans' "fluid diamond" was the wrong under the circumstances.

All the same, a valuable point and a clean sheet.

Onward and upward!
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:40 pm

Evans knows we didn't play well. Listening to mansfield 103.2 on the way home and he said "we played very well,....for all of 3 minutes".
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby oldweststander » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:18 am

Midfield needs sorting, no ball winner.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:35 am

Evo said before game that you dont change a winning side, even though it wasnt right in midfield Saturday. If we want a central midfielder then sign Butcher. If theres no room for him dont sign him. Got away with it Saturday against a poot Grimsby. Got overrun in midfield last night. Had to use two subs to correct it. Then when it was crying out for Rose for Hemmings we had no subs left. Did Butcher have a knock. Couldnt understand Potter for him. Forwards knacked after 70 mins. Left us hanging on for a draw.
wink68
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:40 am

I thought Potter did ok when he came on actually but the midfield needs more steel. Move Butcher to his correct position. SE said we need to be within touching distance of the top 3 because he thinks we won't fully click until January. Last season we definitely would have lost that game so it is a positive, it just didn't click last night for a host of reasons. A point at Lincoln then 3 against Cambridge will be decent imo.
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:58 pm

wink68 wrote:Evo said before game that you dont change a winning side, even though it wasnt right in midfield Saturday. If we want a central midfielder then sign Butcher. If theres no room for him dont sign him. Got away with it Saturday against a poot Grimsby. Got overrun in midfield last night. Had to use two subs to correct it. Then when it was crying out for Rose for Hemmings we had no subs left. Did Butcher have a knock. Couldnt understand Potter for him. Forwards knacked after 70 mins. Left us hanging on for a draw.

Butcher was on a yellow and tiring. So the sub made sense to me by putting fresh legs on the wing.

In fairness had Anderson put the ball in the net when potter crossed the ball across the face of goal then the change would have been seen in a different light.
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby oldweststander » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:44 am

Too late now but we need someone to do the ugly side in midfield, pity he's retired to Boston.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:46 am

oldweststander wrote:Too late now but we need someone to do the ugly side in midfield, pity he's retired to Boston.

Please don't tell me you're wishing for Maguire back, it wasn't that bad! :lol: Butcher looks like that player to me, but again Evo insist's he is an attacking midfielder.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:03 am

What's happened to Digby? He was one of, if not the best performer in pre-season.

Having come from the Championship too, on paper you'd expect him to have been a definite starter.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:41 am

Jamie McGuire may have been the type of player needed to fight, bite and scratch to keep you in League 2 but he is not the type of player to get you promoted from League 2 which is why he was released by Fleetwood. Joel Byrom and Paul Digby are much better quality holding midfield players. Paul Digby did a good job at Accrington where he was constantly told by Evans to "hold the centre". He won a lot of headers. However he seems to have been relegated to the subs bench after a poor display against Lincoln in the Checkatrade Trophy. Evans may be tempted to play him again on Saturday as there are going to be a lot of balls coming into our box from set pieces.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:18 am

What went wrong was pre season signings combined with bookies predictions. It turned some fans into thinking we were Masters of the Universe aka Luton.
Reality check now needed and IMO a settled side.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:57 pm

EVans has admitted he made some selection errors for the Wycombe game.

Personally, I believe he isn't the wonder strategist that his reputation might suggest. I dearly hope I'm wrong.
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:59 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:EVans has admitted he made some selection errors for the Wycombe game.

Personally, I believe he isn't the wonder strategist that his reputation might suggest. I dearly hope I'm wrong.

I don't think he's ever been a strategist, he's more of a motivator/mind games style manager. Raynor seems to be the guy entrusted with the team shape/tactics.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:25 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Jamie McGuire may have been the type of player needed to fight, bite and scratch to keep you in League 2 but he is not the type of player to get you promoted from League 2 which is why he was released by Fleetwood. Joel Byrom and Paul Digby are much better quality holding midfield players. Paul Digby did a good job at Accrington where he was constantly told by Evans to "hold the centre". He won a lot of headers. However he seems to have been relegated to the subs bench after a poor display against Lincoln in the Checkatrade Trophy. Evans may be tempted to play him again on Saturday as there are going to be a lot of balls coming into our box from set pieces.

I don't think SE will risk him having another bad game against Lincoln.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:31 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:EVans has admitted he made some selection errors for the Wycombe game.

I don't think he's ever been a strategist, he's more of a motivator/mind games style manager. Raynor seems to be the guy entrusted with the team shape/tactics.

Listening to Stevie interview I think he discussed with PR to rest and few players especially with a heavy pitch but decided to go with the same team as Saturday....

Hindsight is a marvellous thing to have.

Don't take anything away from Wycombe well organised decent team that adapted to the conditions better than the Stags.....

Good lessons learnt on you can't have 3 points just for turning up due to a good team display in the game before.

Onto Lincoln rested n ready to battle for 3 points
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:41 am

Musings, I was using McGuire as an example of a player who stops others playing.

Tell me, who was doing that against Wycombe, their No8 stole the show, always busy, available and unhindered?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:25 am

oldweststander wrote:Musings, I was using McGuire as an example of a player who stops others playing.

Tell me, who was doing that against Wycombe, their No8 stole the show, always busy, available and unhindered?

Anyone would think Wycombe were playing some sort of Guardiola style Tika Taka, Marcus Bean being Busquets. I would say he was slightly hindered when Mellis went around him like he wasn't there inside 120 seconds. They had more chances than us granted, but were for the most part as bad as we were, hence hardly a shot in anger in the second half. I don't think the play could have possibly been broke up anymore than in that game, one of the worst spectacles I've ever seen.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum