{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Is It Time...

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Is It Time...

Postby die hirsche » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:10 pm

...to start asking questions about where we are?

I see players that individually I would have bitten my left goolie off to have seen in a Stag's shirt.

I see passages of play that have me dreaming of a golden era.

I don't as yet see a team.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Is It Time...

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:13 pm

No.

We haven't played 10 games yet

We've only lost once in the league

We played a good team tonight that are miles better than grimsby
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:16 pm

as I said somewhere else on here.... Still a new team getting used to each other and they're not loosing. Keep creeping around the playoffs then after christmas when they're gelled, we'll be up there.

Can also see a few passengers going in jan like CJ, and some more quality coming in right in time for the charge to the top
Sedgwick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby sw19stag » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:19 pm

After bloody Christmas???
They'd better 'gel' before then or we'll be down amongst the dead men.
sw19stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Jamie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:20 pm

Sorry but there is no excuse for some of the rubbish we saw tonight...

Hemmings disinterested, Bennett on a different planet, constant hoofing to front men who can't or wont try to win it. Poor formation that just doesn't work...

On the plus side, Logan was immense first half and Mirfin did well.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Forever Optimistic » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:21 pm

Sedgwick wrote:as I said somewhere else on here.... Still a new team getting used to each other and they're not loosing. Keep creeping around the playoffs then after christmas when they're gelled, we'll be up there.

Can also see a few passengers going in jan like CJ, and some more quality coming in right in time for the charge to the top

:good_post:

Last few seasons we'd have lost this game. Keep the faith
Something tells me we're into something good
Forever Optimistic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:26 pm

Logan, Mirfin, Hunt were the positives.

As we're the functioning floodlights and even the scoreboard was less embarrassing than on Saturday.

The highlight: the referee going down like he'd been polaxed.

The negatives: the weather and some so-called Stags fans booing.
9dder2
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:29 pm

Wycombe coped much better with Angol than Grimsby did and that's why we struggled up top imo.
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:30 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:Logan, Mirfin, Hunt were the positives.

As we're the functioning floodlights and even the scoreboard was less embarrassing than on Saturday.

The highlight: the referee going down like he'd been polaxed.

The negatives: the weather and some so-called Stags fans booing.

Spot on, good point against one of the top sides in the league. We weren't anywhere near good enough tonight but to play as we did you have to be pleased with a point.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stags4eva » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:34 pm

Forever Optimistic wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:as I said somewhere else on here.... Still a new team getting used to each other and they're not loosing. Keep creeping around the playoffs then after christmas when they're gelled, we'll be up there.

:good_post:

Last few seasons we'd have lost this game. Keep the faith

Heard Evans say this on the radio as well. I'm pretty sure we won the equivalent to this game laat season 1-0 on a Tuesday night against Blackpool who ended up going up, Danny Rose in stoppage time?
stags4eva
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby ParisStag » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:41 pm

I thought Big Steve had told you lot to get some perspective?

I know most clubs must have fans like this, but Jesus, it sometimes seems like we have the most impatient fans in the world.

We've only lost once.
We have quality, it will just take time to gel.
After Christmas, our gelling and depth will show.

Keep the faith. It's coming.
Last edited by ParisStag on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:43 pm

A point at home against a Wycombe team that will probably be around the play-offs...ok

Not the end of the world but you've got to think that If we were a top 3 team we should be beating them.

Second half tonight was a throwback to the kick it up the pitch and see what happens era.

If I were JR I'd be getting a bit twitchy.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:45 pm

I'm more disappointed by the performance than the result, which is not the end of the world.

Hopefully a bad day at the office but the system we are playing does not suit in my opinion.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:48 pm

Yes, we should be beating teams at their level at home, but Wycombe come here every year and do.... a Wycombe. They did it again tonight.

The weather didn't help and although it's the same for both teams, it hurts a footballing team more. It's much easier to play for a draw in that weather than for a win.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:54 pm

It's Wycombe, It's the weather, It's this and that, It's blah, blah blah, Paris.

But this year is not like other years, we've gone raspberries or bust and at the moment it's not working.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:58 pm

die hirsche wrote:It's Wycombe, It's the weather, It's this and that, It's blah, blah blah, Paris.

But this year is not like other years, we've gone raspberries or bust and at the moment it's not working.

I think it is working. We're not even 10 games in and we've only lost one. What do you expect from practically a whole new team? Last year's champions Pompey, lost 9 all season. If we can get to Christmas having only lost 3 or 4 then we'll go up. We already look hard to beat and we finally got a clean sheet tonight. I think these two home games will be the start of an unbeaten run that will see us gel.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:01 pm

It was crap, utter crap.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:02 pm

ParisStag wrote:
die hirsche wrote:It's Wycombe, It's the weather, It's this and that, It's blah, blah blah, Paris.

I think it is working. We're not even 10 games in and we've only lost one. What do you expect from practically a whole new team? Last year's champions Pompey, lost 9 all season. If we can get to Christmas having only lost 3 or 4 then we'll go up. We already look hard to beat and we finally got a clean sheet tonight. I think these two home games will be the start of an unbeaten run that will see us gel.

No they won't gel because i'll bet you anything it will be chop and change on Saturday!!!

He finally kept the same team tonight and they look as gelled as me hair and I ain't got any!!!
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:03 pm

Rob wrote:It was crap, utter crap.

I agree, terrible whether.

Good point in those conditions though.
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Frontrowhero » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:07 pm

ParisStag wrote:I thought Big Steve had told you lot to get some perspective?

I know most clubs must have fans like this, but Jesus, it sometimes seems like we have the most impatient fans in the world.

We've only lost once.

After Christmas is too late, jr backed his man time to deliver. Tonight's performance was simply not good enough in terms of effort, alright having quality but if there's no fight or desire. We might as well prepare for another season in league2. Saturday they need to come out with some fight, Lincoln will be up for it with all the ex stags, play like they did tonight and we will get beat
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby die hirsche » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:13 pm

That's the worry Front Row.

You can't buy 'fight'
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:13 pm

Clownty put 4 past Wycombe, at their place as well, so are Wycombe a good side, or are Clownty a top side?

We'd better sort ourselves out sharpish because with the form Clownty are currently in, they're more than likely going to end their winless hoodoo against us.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby navystag » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:20 pm

Hemmings becoming the new Billy Kee when we had him but haho onwards and upwards
navystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:27 pm

stagmanrob wrote:Clownty put 4 past Wycombe, at their place as well, so are Wycombe a good side, or are Clownty a top side?

We'd better sort ourselves out sharpish because with the form Clownty are currently in, they're more than likely going to end their winless hoodoo against us.

Only team to beat us so far is Accrington who lost at home to Grimsby tonight.

Does that suddenly mean Grimsby are now better than us?
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ParisStag » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:12 am

Frontrowhero wrote:
ParisStag wrote:I thought Big Steve had told you lot to get some perspective?

We've only lost once.

After Christmas is too late, jr backed his man time to deliver. Tonight's performance was simply not good enough in terms of effort, alright having quality but if there's no fight or desire. We might as well prepare for another season in league2. Saturday they need to come out with some fight, Lincoln will be up for it with all the ex stags, play like they did tonight and we will get beat

You have a very short memory if you think that after Christmas is too late. Paul Cox used to have an average record up until Christmas and then absolutely smash it afterwards. Now, that's not to say Evans will do as well as Coxy in that regard, but he has set us up to be a good side over the course of a season, not just for the first few games. This early stage is a chance to pick up some points (or avoid dropping too many), but the current league table won't tell you anything yet about how teams will finish. Nor will current performances. All the teams out there are finding their feet. Some of them, like Notts, have made good starts, but all of them will suffer blips throughout the season - some for long periods, some will have several blips. This is where we will be better than the rest. Our quality and depth of it will shine through in the end. The depth will allow us to outperform other teams in the second half of the season, when they are all tiring and getting injuries. This squad will take time to gel, but by Christmas, it should be in a position to dominate this division. I have full faith that that's why Christmas is not too late.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum