{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Is It Time...

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Is It Time...

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:15 am

Stags 2002 wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:Clownty put 4 past Wycombe, at their place as well, so are Wycombe a good side, or are Clownty a top side?

We'd better sort ourselves out sharpish because with the form Clownty are currently in, they're more than likely going to end their winless hoodoo against us.

Only team to beat us so far is Accrington who lost at home to Grimsby tonight.

Does that suddenly mean Grimsby are now better than us?

Wycombe must have been seriously off it to concede 4 against County with their strike force in all honesty. Given County have played and beaten Chesterfield, Port Vale and Morecambe too, their position at the moment is probably deceiving because all three of those are cral so far.....although tonight's result against Swindon was a good one.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:50 am

Clownty seem solid, they don't concede many.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:01 am

stagmanrob wrote:Clownty put 4 past Wycombe, at their place as well, so are Wycombe a good side, or are Clownty a top side?

We'd better sort ourselves out sharpish because with the form Clownty are currently in, they're more than likely going to end their winless hoodoo against us.

What a great logic that is.
I've got a Grapefruit matter...
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby James » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:05 am

Just another point, out of the sides to go up last season, home & away, only Portsmouth beat Wycombe once at Fratton Park.

Wycombe are a good team, who set up to stifle the better sides in the division. Thats what they did to us last night.
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:09 am

Stags 2002 wrote:
Rob wrote:It was crap, utter crap.

I agree, terrible whether.

Good point in those conditions though.

Yeah conditions were terrible for us, but really good for Wycombe :lol:

That was the performance of a side highly unlikely to feature in the top 7 this season, it was disjointed, slow, lethargic, lacking in ideas, zero creativity and had Wycombe had a decent striker we would have been beaten out of sight. It's very early days and I am sure we will improve, but we are quickly losing ground. Saturday will show how good we are, or aren't.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:12 am

We still struggle against the leading contenders, but it's early days.

I see Jamie thinks Hemmings was disinterested, I disagree, he worked hard but never had any bullets to fire.

My view for what it's worth, look at midfield, who is supposed to be the ball winner, who's job was it to counter Wycombe's number 8, whoever it was let the side down.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:25 am

Should really have had a win tonight if serious about promotion and any excuse is not really good enough.
The gelling and building up may still take some time but I think the season is not panning out as many expected and we don't seem to have that killer striker although Angol doing better and possibly Rose should have been given a bit more over Hemmings
Hope he is not going to be a duffer!!
Cant see more than a point at the Imps so luckily the top 6 are only 3 away but gap for the top already huge.

We keep the faith and move on!

COYS
In SE we trust....for now!!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:58 am

ParisStag wrote:I thought Big Steve had told you lot to get some perspective?

I know most clubs must have fans like this, but Jesus, it sometimes seems like we have the most impatient fans in the world.

We've only lost once.
We have quality, it will just take time to gel.
After Christmas, our gelling and depth will show.

Keep the faith. It's coming.

100pc this.

To anyone who booed, you should be embarrassed.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:09 am

Rob wrote:
Stags 2002 wrote:
Rob wrote:It was crap, utter crap.

I agree, terrible whether.

Good point in those conditions though.

Yeah conditions were terrible for us, but really good for Wycombe :lol:

That was the performance of a side highly unlikely to feature in the top 7 this season, it was disjointed, slow, lethargic, lacking in ideas, zero creativity and had Wycombe had a decent striker we would have been beaten out of sight. It's very early days and I am sure we will improve, but we are quickly losing ground. Saturday will show how good we are, or aren't.

Quickly losing ground?

Christ almighty get a grip. We're 6 games in.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:11 am

Worrying that even posters that are usually level headed like Rob are losing their minds over a 0-0 draw against a promotion contender.
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:58 am

But James we need to and should be beating some of the promotion contenders.... esp at home!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:01 am

tillydog123 wrote:But James we need to and should be beating some of the promotion contenders.... esp at home!

As i mentioned on another thread, Wycombe only lost once to the teams who got promoted last season out of eight games. They are a decent side, and will make it difficult against teams who try to play. A draw against them isn't ideal, but isn't a disaster either.
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Chander Lear » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:45 am

not making excuses here but 2nd half was a totally different game for us. The wind had picked up massively at half time, unfortunaltey for us, we were playing against the wind. The ball was all over the place. Logans kicking was coming back at times it was that strong. That is why the forwards had little than a sniff in the 2nd half. I wouldnt say they didnt look interested, its more the balls were being punted up the pitch in horrible conditions, easier for defenders to defend than attackers to get the better.

Wycombe were able to break a lot quiker than us 2nd half because the wind was with them.
Chander Lear
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:51 am

James wrote:Worrying that even posters that are usually level headed like Rob are losing their minds over a 0-0 draw against a promotion contender.

It's not about the result, it's about the performance and the clear difference in quality between us and Wycombe, which for those of us who were facing the pitch, was quite marked. As I said, it is early days but there weren't many positive signs there last night and I would have expected us to start to gel rather than look like a bunch of players who have just met. I left the game hugely disappointed but nothing a good win at Lincoln won't fix.

Certainly not worth booing yet and I didn't hear many boo last night (I heard plenty of yawns though!), but expectations are very high this season and rightly so given the enormous investment on the playing side.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:00 pm

Rob wrote:
James wrote:Worrying that even posters that are usually level headed like Rob are losing their minds over a 0-0 draw against a promotion contender.

It's not about the result, it's about the performance and the clear difference in quality between us and Wycombe, which for those of us who were facing the pitch, was quite marked. As I said, it is early days but there weren't many positive signs there last night and I would have expected us to start to gel rather than look like a bunch of players who have just met. I left the game hugely disappointed but nothing a good win at Lincoln won't fix.

Certainly not worth booing yet and I didn't hear many boo last night (I heard plenty of yawns though!), but expectations are very high this season and rightly so given the enormous investment on the playing side.

I see what you're saying. Most teams though will have a few games where they look out of sorts. Yesterday was one of ours, and we came out of it with a point.

Completely disagree with you about a difference in quality between Wycombe & us. Apart from 20/205 minutes in the first half, where they looked very good, i don't think there was much between both of the sides.
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby adamstag » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:05 pm

I don't really see the need of worrying.

I think had you offered most of us 4 points from Grimsby and Wycombe at home, while gaining a GD of 3, the vast majority would have taken it.

I didn't go - but surely if you can play that badly and still get a point, isn't that in some way a good thing?

Lincoln is going to be a challenging game, but if we play like we did against Luton we can win there - we should be looking for another 4 or 6 points against Cambridge and Cheltenham.

Put in context, the other favourites - Luton are 1 point ahead of us and Swindon are level.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby amber63 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:30 pm

I'm not concerned yet but if we lose the Lincoln and Clownty games then I will be worried.
amber63
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby SINA STAG » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:15 pm

Lost once guys in 7 Games what would you be like if we've lost twice....

Some fans need to think before they post utter garbage about JR n SE.... There's a lot of clubs throughout the EFL n the non league who would die to have these two at their club
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:22 pm

James wrote:
Rob wrote:

I see what you're saying. Most teams though will have a few games where they look out of sorts. Yesterday was one of ours, and we came out of it with a point.

Completely disagree with you about a difference in quality between Wycombe & us. Apart from 20/205 minutes in the first half, where they looked very good, i don't think there was much between both of the sides.

The ref was down a while and the half seemed to last forever but 205 minutes might be stretching it a bit?
Wycombe were miles better than us for 85 minutes and we still ground out a point which is a good sign in my opinion.
ST4GS
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby geoffhill » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:00 pm

Every game is different for varying reasons.If we played evry game like we did against Luton we would be nailed on as champions.Like most sports players have ups and downs in performance.Last night was a down.Licoln may be totally different or may not strange game is football that's why it is nigh on impossible to win on the fixed odds.Keep the faith.We will be in the top seven for sure hopefully top three at the end of the season.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:11 pm

It's disappointing not to get back to back home wins , but the weather conditions were terrible last night .
We went close a couple of times , especially Anderson's effort .
I would rather get our this spell out of the way now rather than later on in the season when it really matters !
a stag is a proud & noble beast
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:20 pm

The time to judge Steve Evans is at the end of the season. Finish in Top 3 or Win Play Offs = Massive Success. Anything Else = Massive Failure.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:31 pm

I keep getting lots of stick from Notts fans about where both teams are in the table. Some of them think they've gone up already it's embarrassing. The reply I've been giving them is that I'm happy with where we are because we're just bobbing along nicely and will be up there when it matters - not in september. Plus there's only one direction they can go in as the season wears on whereas we can keep climbing steadily. There's no doubt we'll finish higher than them once the bad weather & injuries start coming for both teams. I certainly wouldn't swap my team, manager or league place for anyone else at the moment. It's a marathon not a sprint. They've been up there the past three seasons at the start of the season, got relegated once & nearly did again last season. We'll be fine, people need to keep the faith & stop overreacting & throwing toys out of their prams.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:17 pm

Spot on dan, couldn't agree more. a lot of fans sound so ungrateful and almost forget that we have a great chairman who has cemented us back in the football league and has balanced the books as well as giving us some success
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:08 pm

Dan wrote:I keep getting lots of stick from Notts fans about where both teams are in the table. Some of them think they've gone up already it's embarrassing. The reply I've been giving them is that I'm happy with where we are because we're just bobbing along nicely and will be up there when it matters - not in september. Plus there's only one direction they can go in as the season wears on whereas we can keep climbing steadily. There's no doubt we'll finish higher than them once the bad weather & injuries start coming for both teams. I certainly wouldn't swap my team, manager or league place for anyone else at the moment. It's a marathon not a sprint. They've been up there the past three seasons at the start of the season, got relegated once & nearly did again last season. We'll be fine, people need to keep the faith & stop overreacting & throwing toys out of their prams.

Totally agree Dan.

Every club is capable of, and has, produced lackluster performances
Every club is capable of, and has, produced displays where 1 or all the players are off pace or seem disinterested
Every club undergoes a 'longer than usual' settling-in period when they have made loads of summer signings
I'm struggling to see why we're any different?

For sure, if these problems persist then it's a real worry, but for now IMO it's nothing substantial to fear. I'm sure most fans don't seriously believe we've be sweeping teams away 2-0 or more every week and remain top 3 all season.

Football clubs are like horses (cue: comments about donkeys ;)) - it's the ones coming up on the rails with 3 furlongs to go that you should keep your eye on. I bet on Grand National Day some fans are hammering on Ladbrookes betting window, demanding their winnings the moment their horses lands in front over the 1st fence :P
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum