{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

broadcasting deal

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

broadcasting deal

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:15 am

interesting bit here.

In addition, and in what is another first for English football, the EFL will be offering its Clubs the opportunity to live-stream in the UK and Ireland any league match via their respective iFollow (or equivalent) service that takes place outside the blocked hours of 14.45-17.15 on Saturday afternoons and that is not broadcast live on Sky Sports. Sky Sports will have the right to stream the same Championship fixtures to subscribers across their interactive and digital services.

Games in the Checkatrade Trophy will also be available for live-streaming in the UK and Ireland via iFollow (or equivalent service). iFollow was launched earlier this year and gives supporters overseas the ability to watch their team on match days alongside providing thousands of fans based in the UK the opportunity to listen to audio commentary.

Read more at https://www.efl.com/news/2017/september ... m=referral

Note for clarity that it does not say clubs will do this, but that they have the opportunity to do this.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: broadcasting deal

Postby adamstag » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:35 am

Can't understand why any club would ever do this.

Though I struggle to make Tuesday night matches as in Manchester, we wouldn't ever benefit from this at all.

Fine if you're a championship club where you fill your ground each game and don't rely on the ticket money. Please Mansfield, say no
Last edited by adamstag on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:48 am

adamstag wrote:Can't understand why any club would ever do this.

Though I struggle to make Tuesday night matches as in Manchester, we wouldn't ever benefit from this at all.

Fine if you're a prem club where you fill your ground each game and don't rely on the ticket money. Please Mansfield, say no

I mostly agree Adam.

I can see an argument for clubs to live stream their away games, and possibly say each account can live stream 2 home games a season for people who are on holiday for example, but all matches would be silly.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bux46 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:57 am

Points above taken ..... What about a milage zone from Field Mill .... there are some games that i just cannot face the 3 to 4 hours travelling ... I would gladly pay a fee to see the game on a match to match basis,how much they would charge would be a big stumbling block for some ..... I think its a good idea but will need to be looked at closely so the club does not loose out ........
bux46
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ST4GS » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:27 pm

Fine if you're a championship club where you fill your ground each game and don't rely on the ticket money. Please Mansfield, say no

You seem to be stuck in a bygone era. For the Stags surely it is better to have 3000 pay per view customers at £10 per match with the club probably making 50% profits and a gate of 1200 old die hards rather than 3500 attending customers like we have had for the last 85 or so years.
It's the future, the younger generation will be all for it as they do not need to leave their homes.
Then in around a decade or so when technology improves to such an extent that virtual reality matches reality we can close the ground, no need for policing, SAG or 1pm kickoff times, no need to employ over paid footballers as games will be controlled by computers under the banner of EFL eSports Ltd.
John Radford might need to buy a computer sprite type centre forward for 1.5 million which has a rating of 87% and try to sell our offcasts to AFC Chesterfield Phoenix 2019 who will then be competing in the Derbyshire Northern Premier Division for their local derby against Calver Cowboys.
ST4GS
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:53 pm

Great post St4gs. The game as we know and love it will be dead in 20 years
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:48 pm

Can't make tonight either (also in Manchester, but not for the football!).

I'd have thought that the ideal solution would be to offer this to season ticket holders. Then if they don't turn up to matches, it's not a problem as they've paid anyway.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:01 pm

note that this is from the 2019/20 season
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bros » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:25 pm

Saturday games that start at 3 are excluded so you are left with 6 night matches, 3 home and 3 away, the Haribo and Chickenfeed Trophies plus presumably any early kos against local rivals. So opportunities to watch live will be limited. To me it would make sense to show the away games as only a few of us can usually make the trip. This assumes that the financial reward is good
Bros
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:12 pm

It's the Devils work!
Mr Evans is on borrowed time
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bristolstag » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:00 pm

I hope we say no. Seeing Mansfield costs me a fortune, but I can't stand watching football on TV for some reason.
Bristolstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum