{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

That side of the pitch

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: That side of the pitch

Postby AndyStag » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:54 pm

Andy Perrin wrote:I've never anything so daft in my life, everybody knows it means let's go to war on the pitch, can't get my breath.
Do gooding spoil sports !!

Nobody in the West Stand can see it though. The only people it is likely to get fired up is the opposition fans and players. Red rag to a bull.
AndyStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Frontrowhero » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:20 pm

Andy Perrin wrote:I've never anything so daft in my life, everybody knows it means let's go to war on the pitch, can't get my breath.

have to agree andy, can't believe some think it was inappropriate
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:31 pm

You don't understand how it's inappropriate when the club is hosting a rare international football event, and it's a widely known fact that the governing bodies of this sport jump on any irregularities?

If you're not bothered about your town and club possibly hosting any more of these games, just because a banner could have been taken down for twenty-four hours then, yeah, I suppose it's fine.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Andy Perrin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:41 pm

Not having it Mark. it's not offensive in anyway it's a football stadium, being displayed for fans passion not being displayed for violence. That's my last post on the matter, this message board gets worse, somebody will want to condem JR next for over supporting the Manager and putting the club at financial risk.. lol
Andy Perrin
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:02 pm

Andy, I didn't say that I was personally offended by it - I couldn't care less whether it's there or not. But you know as well as I do that the games authorities frown upon anything that they deem unfit for 'their product'.

All I'm suggesting is that it could harm these types of games returning to MTFC if the wrong pair of eyes note it and report it. Crikey, they didn't even allow alcohol to be sold in the stadium; these are the type of politically correct individuals we're dealing with.

Personally, I really enjoyed the event and would consider it a shame for it not to happen again because of a lapse in thought.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:17 pm

That is the point. I'm sure whoever decided to have this banner did not intend it to be malicious. However I have always thought it is inappropriate for a Sports Stadium. Even the sentiment to "go to war on the pitch " doesn't seem right to me. I am very surprised it wasn't removed for this particular game.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Frontrowhero » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:28 pm

Amber Andy wrote:That is the point. I'm sure whoever decided to have this banner did not intend it to be malicious. However I have always thought it is inappropriate for a Sports Stadium. Even the sentiment to "go to war on the pitch " doesn't seem right to me. I am very surprised it wasn't removed for this particular game.

That's the sort of attittude why we will never progress. If you want to get promoted you have to go to war, grab the bull by the horns whatever you want to call it, it isn't a political statement, merely some stags fans saying you're coming here and if you want 3 points you will expect a war, that's it nothing more. Inappropriate get a grip man
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Frontrowhero » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:32 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Andy, I didn't say that I was personally offended by it - I couldn't care less whether it's there or not. But you know as well as I do that the games authorities frown upon anything that they deem unfit for 'their product'.

All I'm suggesting is that it could harm these types of games returning to MTFC if the wrong pair of eyes note it and report it. Crikey, they didn't even allow alcohol to be sold in the stadium; these are the type of politically correct individuals we're dealing with.

Personally, I really enjoyed the event and would consider it a shame for it not to happen again because of a lapse in thought.

Normally agree with you doomy, but your barking up the wrong tree here. Nothing wrong in that banner, been there for quite a few games now and it's a way of STAGS fans saying expect a war for 3 points to the away fans. No reference whatsoever to Germany or their team that's why it stayed for the game and that's why it caused no problem
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:38 pm

It's like an episode of Fawlty Towers :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Frontrowhero » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:44 pm

Spiritater wrote:It's like an episode of Fawlty Towers :lol:

Don't mention the war, I think I got away with it! God old basil. The Germans was a classic episode, but how times change now probably our best ally in Europe. That's why the banner causes no harm
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:49 pm

Frontrowhero wrote:
Spiritater wrote:It's like an episode of Fawlty Towers :lol:

Don't mention the war, I think I got away with it! God old basil. The Germans was a classic episode, but how times change now probably our best ally in Europe. That's why the banner causes no harm

Best ally ???

I'd put the French, Dutch, Polish and Scandanavians above them based on security cooperation and history over the last 15 years.
MTFCMAD
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby daddycool » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:09 am

Agreed ,
daddycool
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:28 am

Did Mansfield Town get any complaints from anyone regarding the banner?

Ermmmmmmmm NO

Another pointless post on Stagsnet on a debate that didn't/doesn't offend anyone of any creed or colour.
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:30 am

Frontrowhero wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:That is the point. I'm sure whoever decided to have this banner did not intend it to be malicious. However I have always thought it is inappropriate for a Sports Stadium. Even the sentiment to "go to war on the pitch " doesn't seem right to me. I am very surprised it wasn't removed for this particular game.

That's the sort of attittude why we will never progress. If you want to get promoted you have to go to war, grab the bull by the horns whatever you want to call it, it isn't a political statement, merely some stags fans saying you're coming here and if you want 3 points you will expect a war, that's it nothing more. Inappropriate get a grip man

ok Frontrowhero, for the next home match I will consider leaving my blue and amber scarf at home, and come in my camouflage gear instead, ready for battle. That way we might get our elusive 3 points. :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:56 am

Frontrowhero wrote:

have to agree andy, can't believe some think it was inappropriate

For real ? I'm against political correctness more than most but even I can see the inappropriacy of this. England fans were castigated for their songs in the recent game and this is hung at an international football match ? It's ridiculous.

PS the Bishop Street will never be occupied again for a game. It's an eyesore and it should be pulled down.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:46 am

JR confirmed at the Fans Forum last night that Paul Broughton's long term project for the Bishop Street is to turn it into terracing that can be accessed from either end so that it could be used by both home and away fans as appropriate. It will be a nice earner if the away team are going to sell out the North Stand as we can then give them more tickets for the terraces down the side.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:18 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:JR confirmed at the Fans Forum last night that Paul Broughton's long term project for the Bishop Street is to turn it into terracing that can be accessed from either end so that it could be used by both home and away fans as appropriate. It will be a nice earner if the away team are going to sell out the North Stand as we can then give them more tickets for the terraces down the side.

not even worth thinking about until we're in league one and pushing for promotion which could take a while... let's try to fill the stands we have first
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:19 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:JR confirmed at the Fans Forum last night that Paul Broughton's long term project for the Bishop Street is to turn it into terracing that can be accessed from either end so that it could be used by both home and away fans as appropriate. It will be a nice earner if the away team are going to sell out the North Stand as we can then give them more tickets for the terraces down the side.

Sounds good, like the idea. That said, it's the short term plan that is of debate here. I think we all know that if success on the pitch translates to success off it, that stand will be the first thing to address however there are relatively cheap ways to improve the professional look of that side of the stadium now.

I like the idea of the preseason overseas tour for both the club and fans but I bet we could have tidied up that side of the pitch for less than the cost of that, and then played some better non league opposition closer to home. Just using this as an example, if the argument is about priorities....
Birminghamstag10
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:03 am

I wouldn't swap a week in Malta for a few less advertising boards :lol:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:12 am

i still don't understand why we can't just have open seating , which are in place
& just remove the roof section which is the part that's been condemned ?!
a stag is a proud & noble beast
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:01 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:

not even worth thinking about until we're in league one and pushing for promotion which could take a while... let's try to fill the stands we have first

This is why I don't think it will ever happen, because if we were in that position, we can't have any standing area in the ground in the Championship. It wouldn't make sense to make it a terrace if we want to go to the Championship, which is what JR has always said.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:02 am

Amberheart wrote:i still don't understand why we can't just have open seating , which are in place

It's all rotten underneath the stand where the seats are so it would cost a lot of money just to make it safe.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby BELSE » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:00 pm

not able to stand that side until they blow up scoreboard :coys:
BELSE
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby JAMES9002 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:14 pm

BELSE wrote:not able to stand that side until they blow up scoreboard :coys:

Can be part of the opening ceremony for the new stand
JAMES9002
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amberheart » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:29 pm

Dan wrote:
Amberheart wrote:i still don't understand why we can't just have open seating , which are in place

It's all rotten underneath the stand where the seats are so it would cost a lot of money just to make it safe.

Ah Ok thanks Dan I didn't know that , I thought the seats were into concrete
a stag is a proud & noble beast
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum