{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

That side of the pitch

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

That side of the pitch

Postby Frontrowhero » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:41 pm

Tonight really hit home to me if we are to be taken seriously as a club in hosting these type of international matches and possibly moving up the leagues that side of the ground needs sorting. Scoreboard is a joke, if it don't work we need to try and recoup what ever we can. The fa advertising of Nike, Vauxhall, fa.com, mars didn't quite sit with our bap for bolts, et al every board going. Just looked a mess compared to the rest of ground that looked really smart. Then there was the crowning glory of the floodlight going out on that side too, oh and a few balls going missing and the ball boy at the end struggling to find it round back of bish. Was it just me or was any other stags fans embarrassed tonight! That side of the pitch, I could hardly bare to look at it by the end
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: That side of the pitch

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:48 pm

I agree it needs sorting but attendances don't warrant any action at this point in time.

Maybe it can be put to JR tomorrow night (any ideas) for what can be done short term.
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby magicstag » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:20 pm

Why embarrassed, it is what it is , warts an all.
This our field mill , a third division ground.
Needs a bit of a touch up on the bishop st side
But come on its field mill.
Must be doing something right for the fa to use it.
Floodlights going out happens at every ground sometimes.
Never be embarrassed , its our field mill our home.
Coys
magicstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby whipster221073 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:04 am

If you think that is embarrassing then turn on Eurosport tomorrow to watch our dump of a town on National TV.
Starting the Tour Of Britain Stage 3 from Mansfield Town Centre must be the worst Marketing for this town ever.

If only we had a good tourist destination locally that would show off why people should visit our town :roll: :roll:
MTFC not AFC
whipster221073
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:19 am

whipster221073 wrote:If you think that is embarrassing then turn on Eurosport tomorrow to watch our dump of a town on National TV.
Starting the Tour Of Britain Stage 3 from Mansfield Town Centre must be the worst Marketing for this town ever.

If only we had a good tourist destination locally that would show off why people should visit our town :roll: :roll:

Maybe you have to be away but the Market Square is actually an architecturally pleasant area.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:14 am

magicstag wrote:Why embarrassed, it is what it is , warts an all.
Coys

Well said that man.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:17 am

whipster221073 wrote:If you think that is embarrassing then turn on Eurosport tomorrow to watch our dump of a town on National TV.

I wonder how much the Council are charging the TOB organizers to use the Square.... £15000 maybe ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:32 am

I love how we played Germany with a "Let's go to war" banner draped over the side of the stand :lol:
wayno cordiniho
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:38 am

wayno cordiniho wrote:I love how we played Germany with a "Let's go to war" banner draped over the side of the stand :lol:

Now that is embarrassing. Could only happen in Mansfield.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:55 am

bellwhiff wrote:

Maybe you have to be away but the Market Square is actually an architecturally pleasant area.

Nowadays it certainly seems to attract Poles, Romanians, Latvians and other Eastern Europeans wandering with can in hand, so it must have something?
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby Keep it Simple » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:22 am

Amber Andy wrote:
wayno cordiniho wrote:I love how we played Germany with a "Let's go to war" banner draped over the side of the stand :lol:

Now that is embarrassing. Could only happen in Mansfield.

Can only agree.
Keep it Simple
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:24 am

Oh my goodness, who is in charge of a stadium that keeps a 'Lets Go To War' banner up and in clear sight during an international? We know how touchy the likes of FIFA and The FA can be, and it is something so simple that could quite easily scupper any future international opportunities.

Jeez, always Mansfield. Impeccably unprofessional.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:13 am

That banner is embarrassing anyway, I feel like the people who did it had the right intentions but it makes me cringe.
Conker
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:28 am

Just a plain, tidy fence like Oxford's would look so much better. Could still take the revenue from advertising on the fence, just layout it in a smarter way.
Birminghamstag10
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stag861 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:33 am

At the Micky mouse trophy game when they were advertising the England v Germany game they were playing in the background a man-up of instrumental themes. First up - The Dam Busters. Really!
stag861
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby CassellsCap » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:53 pm

when we were putting ideas forward about the banner I suggested that old chestnut ( not much matches Mansfield ) fair enough it is a bit old hat but the present one of LETS GO TO WAR in my opinion is an awful thing to display especially at a sporting event. Bad taste to say the least. TAKE IT DOWN .
CassellsCap
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:58 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Oh my goodness, who is in charge of a stadium that keeps a 'Lets Go To War' banner up and in clear sight during an international? We know how touchy the likes of FIFA and The FA can be, and it is something so simple that could quite easily scupper any future international opportunities.

I agree a big oversight. Good job England U 19 wern't playing North Korea.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:17 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

Coverage of Tour of Britain also on ITV 4 (Freeview24) at 8pm every evening.
The Market Place could be quite a feature if smartened up a bit but they are unlikely to show much of it on the coverage. More likely to see some of the outskirts on the roll-out until racing starts properly...
halifaxstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby AndyStag » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:20 pm

CassellsCap wrote:when we were putting ideas forward about the banner I suggested that old chestnut ( not much matches Mansfield ) fair enough it is a bit old hat but the present one of LETS GO TO WAR in my opinion is an awful thing to display especially at a sporting event. Bad taste to say the least. TAKE IT DOWN .

This. Please take note Steve Hymas and have a word with our "stadium directors"!?
AndyStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tre Cool » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:58 pm

Birminghamstag10 wrote:Just a plain, tidy fence like Oxford's would look so much better. Could still take the revenue from advertising on the fence, just layout it in a smarter way.

I agree with this entirely.

Bishop street just needs setting on fire like Sherwood Hall School was a few years ago. At least Haslam tried to do something right that time by leaving the electric heater on.

Just a tidy fence with a small gantry for the cameraman and possibly a new scoreboard on top would be perfect for the short term. All the adverts like you say can be presented on the fence. I'm sure a business would prefer to be advertised on a smart fence than a derelict stand.

Oh and return the North stand clock to the North stand.
Tre Cool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Tre Cool wrote:
Birminghamstag10 wrote:Just a plain, tidy fence like Oxford's would look so much better. Could still take the revenue from advertising on the fence, just layout it in a smarter way.

I agree with this entirely.

Bishop street just needs setting on fire like Sherwood Hall School was a few years ago. At least Haslam tried to do something right that time by leaving the electric heater on.

Just a tidy fence with a small gantry for the cameraman and possibly a new scoreboard on top would be perfect for the short term. All the adverts like you say can be presented on the fence. I'm sure a business would prefer to be advertised on a smart fence than a derelict stand.

Oh and return the North stand clock to the North stand.

Oh and return the North Stand to the home fans!
Mr Evans is on borrowed time
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:12 pm

Ok, I was wrong and Itv4 have just shown some nice looking shots of the town centre and also "Mansfield Town Football Club. Home to the Stags and the oldest ground in the football league"
halifaxstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Vice President » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:23 pm

magicstag wrote:Why embarrassed, it is what it is , warts an all.
Coys

I am sorry ... Field Mill will always be special, but the Bishop St. side is a complete and utter embarrassment!
There is no reason why it has to remain so forever. We can never take pride in our stadium whilst that eyesore remains as it is.
Time to move with the times.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Vice President » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:29 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Oh my goodness, who is in charge of a stadium that keeps a 'Lets Go To War' banner up and in clear sight during an international? We know how touchy the likes of FIFA and The FA can be, and it is something so simple that could quite easily scupper any future international opportunities.

Agree 100%. And in this current climate where a nuclear war looks rather ominous .... don't you think this banner is rather inappropriate, and perhaps not a concept that the club should want to be associated with?
Get rid of it - its not as though it is serving a useful function or has brought us any luck!
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Andy Perrin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:49 pm

I've never anything so daft in my life, everybody knows it means let's go to war on the pitch, can't get my breath.
Do gooding spoil sports !!
Andy Perrin
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum