{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Defending that led to Carlisle's opener

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Defending that led to Carlisle's opener

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:24 pm

Having seen the opener for Carlisle yesterday what are we doing in a defensive capacity defending or should I say attacking like that in the opening fifteen minutes of a game?!

Exposed puts it lightly. It was almost as though it was a crucial cup match or end of season game with all to play for drama with us needing a goal in the final few minutes
@beckenham_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Re: Defending that led to Carlisle's opener

Postby Vice President » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:29 pm

Johnny Rotten wrote:Having seen the opener for Carlisle yesterday what are we doing in a defensive capacity defending or should I say attacking like that in the opening fifteen minutes of a game?!

Exposed puts it lightly. It was almost as though it was a crucial cup match or end of season game with all to play for drama with us needing a goal in the final few minutes

It was just like the 3rd goal we conceded against Lincoln a few days ago (except that this time we had a goal keeper). We are not learning from our (defensive) mistakes!
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby kwambo » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:38 pm

Whilst benning got done too easily I thought Mellis could have done more. When hope received the ball he was level with him but he just jogged back. Anderson busted a gut to get back and nearly got back. If mellis had done the same and applied pressure from the other side then he might have been put off
kwambo
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:45 pm

I thought it was very risky at the time as Benning was left on his own at the back. I think Anderson was meant to be a bit deeper. Good point about Mellis though. He made no effort at all to get back. I had not spotted that.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby JAMES9002 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:47 pm

With hindsight Benning dropping back would have probably been better rather than going for a tackle on the half way line.

Because

1. As what happens if the player goes past there's no cover

2. You risk a foul and a red card as you're the last man although maybe the distance may have saved him in that regard.

If he had dropped back he may have been able to hold up Hope further along maybe giving anderson a chance to also get back.
JAMES9002
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:52 pm

Yes ... and it's not just the hairs on a gooseberry that stops it from being a grape.
Mr Evans is on borrowed time
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:32 pm

We are too adventurous for our own good, caught against Luton, Lincoln now Carlisle.

More cover is needed if our big men go forward, one full back and a poorly positioned midfielder not enough.

Away from home in the early stages we should have kept it tight and the door locked, has to be said, amateur tactics, I'm afraid, displayed in three successive games. Didn't take long to get found out did it?

Come on Steve, tighten it up.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:37 pm

Benning at fault. As last man you never just dive in. That is the worse piece of defending I've seen since the last game!!!
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stags4eva » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:11 pm

Benning looks shot for confidence at the minute, looks like he doesn't dare try anything which is affecting his all round game. He is one of a few for me that look like they are concetrating to much on not making a mistake rather than playing their own game, could this perhaps be down to too much competition for places, if there is such a thing?
stags4eva
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:24 pm

So we've gone from Murray's no one go over the half way line tactics to attack attack attack.
I know what I'd rather watch, it was just a let down from a p poor bit of defending from a player who at least should of held him up.
Listening to Evans after I think Benning will be soon dropped if he doesn't shape up
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:42 pm

I know what I'd rather watch too Woody but you have to do it right.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby west country stag » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:43 pm

We need to give Hunt his chance now & force Benning to get back his form & not take his place in the team for granted !!!
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
west country stag
First Team
First Team

Postby hucknallstag » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:14 pm

Attacking style of play every day over the defensive garbage murray served up,when this team clicks we wont be worrying about defence imo....nxt 6 games very winnable
hucknallstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:58 pm

Evans said after the game that it was the same people making mistakes for the goals as the last games so expect some changes next week.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:10 pm

It was poor defending on more than one level. Benning put in a powder puff tackle, but at least two others were at fault.

On the plus side I was impressed with Butcher's goal. I think he will get his fair share of goals this season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum