{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Current performance

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Current performance

Postby robeyre » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:51 pm

I just sat here after another draw. (Carlisle) and I'm trying to get a perspective of where we are.

Plus points
We've drawn again 2 teams that we expect to be there or there abouts at the end of the season and lost to one, Luton, Accrington, Carlisle.
We could have drawn 1 of them and won two.
We are 2 pionts off playoff and 4 points behind County and automatic promotion. We've lost one game in league.
It's one 1 month into a new season

Minus points
We should have won all of these
We missed 2 penalties that would have won games
We've not made good substitutions and have lost games as a consistence
Weve not been as good as the major hype before the season lead us to believe
Genuinely I am searching guidance as to how I should feel. Please help
robeyre
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Current performance

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:56 pm

keep the faith
Stevie Evans Barmy Army
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Didn't one of the subs score today with his first touch?
I've got a Grapefruit matter...
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby joey bananas » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Get the beer out son.
He who laughs last clearly didn't get it...
joey bananas
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:00 pm

James wrote:Didn't one of the subs score today with his first touch?

You beat me too it Jamie. You don't get better substitutions than that. Just read the report. The Carlisle keeper made 3 top saves.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:04 pm

Thanks for restoring my faith. So easy to be mislead by the gain sayers. I will he there at the end of the season. Cheers COYS
robeyre
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby tmwilson » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:05 pm

[quote="robeyre"]I just sat here after another draw. (Carlisle) and I'm trying to get a perspective of where we are.

Plus points
We've drawn again 2 teams that we expect to be there or there abouts at the end of the season and lost to one, Luton, Accrington, Carlisle.
We could have drawn 1 of them and won two.
We are 2 pionts off playoff and 4 points behind County and automatic promotion. We've lost one game in league.
It's one 1 month into a new season

Minus points
We should have won all of these
We missed 2 penalties that would have won games
We've not made good substitutions and have lost games as a consistence
Weve not been as good as the major hype before the season lead us to believe
Genuinely I am searching guidance as to how I should feel.

1 . Our sub scored today
2. I agree that the penalty miss against Luton probably cost us 3 points
3 . We missed the penalty before we equalised today . If we had scored the penalty , everything that happened from there on would of been different . We may of gone on to win , we may of also gone on to lose .
tmwilson
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby jeff » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:14 pm

4. 15 new players
5. You don't win the league in September
jeff
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby dumbarton stag » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:28 pm

With what i saw today the quality of players we have will come come good it might take time,but ive watched stags for a long time and i think they are a good team
dumbarton stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby robeyre » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:55 pm

So on balance from the responses received we are still on track. Thats good to hear. Lets all keep the faith. I for one am quite prepared to stick with this team. Let's hope others on this site give us the time
robeyre
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:06 pm

Carlisle always a tough place to go to, and an away point isn't bad - it just feels worse than it should because we missed a penalty last week and again this week causing us to drop 4 points..

we'll get there eventually, it's just going to take time. as others have said, we've got 15 new players that need to understand how each other play. plus it's only september so no point in spitting the dummy out yet
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:36 pm

Agree we need a little more time but it's not the start we wanted or expected and we need to get a couple of wins chalked up soon before top table teams start pulling away a bit
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:05 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Agree we need a little more time but it's not the start we wanted or expected and we need to get a couple of wins chalked up soon before top table teams start pulling away a bit

we definitely need to get the ball rolling with a win against grimsby.. another localish game that are usually feisty! the atmosphere will turn sour if we don't win but i think we will
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Vantage007 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:19 pm

As in all of the other games so far today's performance was patchy with some periods of excellent crisp passing football followed by panic in our own box. We will get better, we have bossed every game for much of the 90 minutes but failed to capitalize and today was no different. Carlisle's play-acting was annoying at times as the ref seemed to fall for it more than once. As someone else mentioned their goalkeeper made several outstanding saves although they did hit the woodwork 3 times. Not a bad point to be honest.
Following MTFC since 1967!
Vantage007
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:31 pm

Vantage007 wrote:although they did hit the woodwork 3 times.

One of them was offside (Luke Joyce on 78 minutes).
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby oldweststander » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:36 am

Its lady luck and she's. Kcking off.
We lost to Accy in the last minute, we should have beaten Luton in te last minute then we missed a pen at Carlisle.
Football has a habit of evening your luck out over 46 games.
As someone has already posted "keep the faith".
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby kyle b » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:24 am

Some people need to realise it was never going to be as easy as the bookies predicted. Personally I don't think it's a bad start. It's fine lines at the min. Once this team gels somebody will be on the end of a pasting. Keep the faith coys
kyle b
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ST4GS » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:03 am

kyle b wrote:Some people need to realise it was never going to be as easy as the bookies predicted. Personally I don't think it's a bad start. It's fine lines at the min. Once this team gels somebody will be on the end of a pasting. Keep the faith coys
The bookies odds gave us the same chance of winning the league as someone rolling an eight with two dice and gave Conor McGregor more chance of winning against Mayweather Jr last week. Both these events would seem unlikely and Stags winning the league is equally so. Forget the weight of expectation and enjoy this season. Some team will win the league in May against all odds. Hope it is us.
ST4GS
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby one f in mansfield » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:44 am

With the league starting to take a little bit of shape and using the win at home and draw away theory gets promotion

Away from home we have drawn with the clubs currently 8th and 9th and lost to the club 3rd .

At home we have beaten a club you would expect us to win and drawn with a club expected to win promotion .

That leaves us 3 points short of a very good start .

This has been achieved with a completely new team against current top half of the league sides , apart from FGR who were totally outplayed , and missing 2 penalties that would have got us 4 more points .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazzert » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:15 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Vantage007 wrote:although they did hit the woodwork 3 times.

One of them was offside (Luke Joyce on 78 minutes).

That is true Martin... but for that one and the other shot (from outside the area).. Conrad Logan did not move... this is a concern.. he is fast becoming our biggest weak spot. No team wants their weak spot to be the fella between the sticks... in my humblest of opinion.
Gaz.
gazzert
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby spanishstag » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:51 pm

I know ive moaned about logan ,who made a brilliant save yesterday but if we had scored the two penalties in league games we would be well placed ,think we will improve as it goes on and fairly confident about this season ,still early days ah at nutts clownty must be creaming it just think how much damage we can do to the likes off lincoln ,notts and grimsby this month ,bring it on
spanishstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby pemill » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:01 pm

oldweststander wrote:Its lady luck and she's. Kcking off.
We lost to Accy in the last minute, we should have beaten Luton in te last minute then we missed a pen at Carlisle.

Make no mistake we rode our luck against Carlisle; the post came to our aid on two occasions and the bar on another, and Angol didn't get sent off.
pemill
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ParisStag » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:08 pm

I think it's set up for us to have a good second half of the season with the depth of quality we have and the fact that they will be more gelled by then. If we can manage to not lose more than 3 or 4 by Christmas, I think we'll be looking good. Whether our fans have the patience for that remains to be seen.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:15 pm

pemill wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Its lady luck and she's. Kcking off.

Make no mistake we rode our luck against Carlisle; the post came to our aid on two occasions and the bar on another, and Angol didn't get sent off.

one of the post incidents was offside.

Angol was correctly not sent off in my opinion. I included the incident in the extended highlights on iFollow
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum