{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Taft joins Cambridge on loan

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Taft joins Cambridge on loan

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:10 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Taft joins Cambridge on loan

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:13 pm

back to a club where the fans didn't rate him....

I wish him well though, I think he's a very good player

interesting it was posted on the website 6 hours ago?
Sedgwick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:16 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby die hirsche » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:20 pm

he's an ok league 2 player but with injury history.

no room in this squad which would hold it's own at the top end of league one.

or so it would seem on paper.

no excuses fat boy.

we go up or you're a failure.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:38 pm

Probably fifth in line for a place currently. I rate him and would have kept him as it's great to have such depth to the squad and to see if he could claim a place, but it is understandable that he wants to go and play first team football. Good luck to him.
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ParisStag » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:28 am

Terry Eccles Was God wrote:Probably fifth in line for a place currently. I rate him and would have kept him as it's great to have such depth to the squad and to see if he could claim a place, but it is understandable that he wants to go and play first team football. Good luck to him.

I'm sure we'll be able to recall him if a couple of our defenders get injured.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:53 am

Big fan of Taft but as others have mentioned injuries have hampered him, he needs to play. Hopefully he has an injury free spell at Cambridge, impresses and comes back the player we all know he can be.

Quite pleased with our deadline day business, we're still gelling as a squad, time to kick on now
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Footie mad » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:02 am

Pleased for the lad as I rate George but I think the writing was on the wall when Evans bought two more central defenders into the squad. Good luck to the lad go and enjoy playing at Cambridge. Let's hope the older new lads can cope only time will tell.
Footie mad
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby oldweststander » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:14 am

What's all this disrespect for Steve Evans by our supporters. OK he carries too much weight, he always has, but why the insults from our teams supporters.

Grow up and let SE do his job.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:21 am

die hirsche wrote:he's an ok league 2 player but with injury history.

no excuses fat boy.

What a pleasant gentleman you are.
I've got a Grapefruit matter...
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Im not the real OND » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:50 am

oldweststander wrote:What's all this disrespect for Steve Evans by our supporters. OK he carries too much weight, he always has, but why the insults from our teams supporters.

Since you ask.... ;) My opinion of him hasn't changed since he has been here. I think he is a prize 'raspberry'. I think that's how we phrase it on here.

He is a convicted fraudster and cheated his way into the football league. I believe the way he conducts himself isn't fitting with the way the club wants to be portraying itself.

I disagree with his approach of buying success by bringing in a whole raft of players at the expense of developing talent. I don't believe this approach will benefit the club in the long run. As shown with the struggles experienced at his previous clubs.

His past record is excellent, mostly because he has been afforded the funds that many lower league managers dream of. His talent lies with recruiting proven players and convincing Chairmen to part with their money.

From what I have seen since he has been here, his tactical nous seems to be shouting and bawling and his own players and officials. He has been outwitted by many a 'League 2' manager which he claims to be above.

Luckily for many, I am in the minority of this view. And regardless, the only view that matters is that of John Radford.

Whatever my view on Evans, I will support the club to the hilt as always. Its just that with Evans most likely being our most expensive manager in history, alongside the biggest transfer budget in our history, affords him little grace in my opinion. He has to deliver.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jamie » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:03 am

I think the way he's conducted himself here has been excellent, very professional - touch line antics aside of course.

Buying success isn't just down to him. He wouldn't be here if JR didn't want to try that.

On Taft, he has never been able to hold down a place in the team and was no better than what we had already. I wish him luck on loan but dont think we'll see him in Amber again.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:50 am

Im not the real OND wrote:
oldweststander wrote:What's all this disrespect for Steve Evans by our supporters. OK he carries too much weight, he always has, but why the insults from our teams supporters.

Since you ask.... ;) My opinion of him hasn't changed since he has been here. I think he is a prize 'raspberry'. I think that's how we phrase it on here.

He is a convicted fraudster and cheated his way into the football league. I believe the way he conducts himself isn't fitting with the way the club wants to be portraying itself.

I disagree with his approach of buying success by bringing in a whole raft of players at the expense of developing talent. I don't believe this approach will benefit the club in the long run. As shown with the struggles experienced at his previous clubs.

His past record is excellent, mostly because he has been afforded the funds that many lower league managers dream of. His talent lies with recruiting proven players and convincing Chairmen to part with their money.

From what I have seen since he has been here, his tactical nous seems to be shouting and bawling and his own players and officials. He has been outwitted by many a 'League 2' manager which he claims to be above.

Luckily for many, I am in the minority of this view. And regardless, the only view that matters is that of John Radford.

Whatever my view on Evans, I will support the club to the hilt as always. Its just that with Evans most likely being our most expensive manager in history, alongside the biggest transfer budget in our history, affords him little grace in my opinion. He has to deliver.

I don't disagree with most of what you have said and it is somewhat hypocritical that the very same fans who have absolutely slated him for his previous misdemeanours can now see no wrong in him - his behaviour on the touchline is embarrassing. He does have to deliver given he more than likely has a top 3 budget and we have had a poor start. He is not my cup of tea, he never will be, but I hope he is successful here.

Right decision to let Taft go, we have plenty of cover at Centre Back, all of whom are currently better than he is.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:52 am

Boston aside, where have his previous clubs struggled? He left Crawley, then they went up to League 1, stayed there for 3 seasons after he left, and came back down. In that time the money men left and they had to cut their cloth accordingly, they've now established themselves as a middling to lower League 2 team.

Rotherham had stayed in the Championship after he'd left, and i'd say it was only a poor couple of managerial appointments that cost them their place in the Championship.

It seems a lazy assumption that always seems to get chucked at Evans.
I've got a Grapefruit matter...
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Im not the real OND » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:32 am

James wrote:

Boston aside, where have his previous clubs struggled? He left Crawley, then they went up to League 1, stayed there for 3 seasons after he left, and came back down. In that time the money men left and they had to cut their cloth accordingly, they've now established themselves as a middling to lower League 2 team.

Rotherham had stayed in the Championship after he'd left, and I'd say it was only a poor couple of managerial appointments that cost them their place in the Championship.

It seems a lazy assumption that always seems to get chucked at Evans.

Maybe it is. If you would prefer, we can agree to strike from the record "As shown with the struggles experienced at his previous clubs". :) Although would you be happy with three seasons in League 1 and then 'establishing' ourselves as a mid to lower League 2 team?
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby daddycool » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:44 am

Good post ,
daddycool
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:46 am

Good point James. I have often been baffled by the accusations that he leaves clubs in a mess. Its simply not true.

If I had been a Crawley fan watching non league football for decades then I would be quite pleased to see the club established in league 2.

Its the equivalent of us having a few years in the Championship and then establishing ourselves in in league 1
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby daddycool » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:51 am

We have been a mid to lower div 2 team most of our history so the chance of some success should not be knocked. I don't think Radford is a mug and I'm sure he is making his decisions .
daddycool
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:17 pm

die hirsche wrote:he's an ok league 2 player but with injury history.

no excuses fat boy.

He speaks so highly of you aswell.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:47 pm

I was not impressed when the club brought in SE. I thought there were other managers out there who could do a good job. However, apart from some of his antics on the touch line, ( which I think is purely his passion boiling over ), I think he has done well for the club.

He has brought a lot of interest in the club, for example, whenever he is on TV or national radio he always mentions the club. I think he has also recharged JR and CR interest in our club.

His behaviour away from the touch line has been very professional and he puts a lot of hours in. During the recent open day, he spent ages signing autographs and had photographs with the young fans. He even spotted a family who were watching the training session and went over to talk to them.

As for the squad. He has brought in quality. But what he hasn't done is bring in excess numbers, unlike one manager did in the not so distant past.

I agree that he has got to bring a winning blend to this squad. I can also understand, after all the hype, the disappointment the Accrington and Luton games have brought to some fans. But it is early days and he should be given a chance.

As for the name calling that has started to appear I think it should stop. He will face plenty of that from fans of other clubs.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby jeff » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:56 pm

Amber Andy wrote:I was not impressed when the club brought in SE. I thought there were other managers out there who could do a good job. However, apart from some of his antics on the touch line, ( which I think is purely his passion boiling over ), I think he has done well for the club.

He has brought a lot of interest in the club, for example, whenever he is on TV or national radio the club he always mentions the club. I think he has also recharged JR and CR interest in our club.

His behaviour away from the touch line has been very professional and he puts a lot of hours in. During the recent open day, he spent ages signing autographs and had photographs with the young fans. He even spotted a family who were watching the training session and went over to talk to them.

As for the squad. He has brought in quality. But what he hasn't done is bring in excess numbers, unlike one manager did in the not so distant past.

I agree that he has got to bring a winning blend to this squad. I can also understand, after all the hype, the disappointment the Accrington and Luton games have brought to some fans. But it is early days and he should be given a chance. As for the name calling that has started to appear I think it should stop. He will face plenty of that from fans of other clubs.

This - its quite embarrassing and short sighted of our so called 'fans'. Even people on here I've had respect for over the years have started.
He is on paper the most successful manager we have ever appointed and he needs our backing just like the Chairman & CEO have.
We always knew what he was like but he talks us up, maybe we should be more respectful in return. The next 5 years could be the best 5yrs we have ever witnessed. Or do we carry on the name calling and booing and drive him out of the club - then we can appoint Dempster and get back to being that mid table League 2 side?
jeff
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:57 pm

Amber Andy wrote:I was not impressed when the club brought in SE. I thought there were other managers out there who could do a good job. However, apart from some of his antics on the touch line, ( which I think is purely his passion boiling over ), I think he has done well for the club.

He has brought a lot of interest in the club, for example, whenever he is on TV or national radio he always mentions the club. I think he has also recharged JR and CR interest in our club.

I agree that he has got to bring a winning blend to this squad. I can also understand, after all the hype, the disappointment the Accrington and Luton games have brought to some fans. But it is early days and he should be given a chance.

As for the name calling that has started to appear I think it should stop. He will face plenty of that from fans of other clubs.

FAIR ENOUGH
Mr Evans is on borrowed time
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:09 pm

Agree wholeheartedly, I too am not and never will be, a fan of Steve Evans and his ethos of buying promotions, but now he has spent heavily, he must deliver. There can be no excuses for failure now.
garlic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Jamie » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:08 pm

Surely the gripe should be with owners happy to spend big and try to buy success.

If i was a manager I'd want to work at the clubs with the biggest budget too. Evans gets these jobs because he's built a history of making it work.

Don't forget we pretty much paid our way out the conference.

The risk is always that it can fail, and depending how its financed it can ruin a club for years to come.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:15 pm

garlic wrote:

Agree wholeheartedly, I too am not and never will be, a fan of Steve Evans and his ethos of buying promotions, but now he has spent heavily, he must deliver. There can be no excuses for failure now.

I agree with the above, but I WILL stop referring to him as Humpty Dumpty
Mr Evans is on borrowed time
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum