{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

My team for Sat as it stands

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:26 am

abc wrote:
Jamie wrote:Personally i dont like the diamond we keep playing. It allows teams to much space out wide, especially later in games. It's as if we're inviting them to cross or have it wide.

Whilst we deal with lots of stuff well at the back, the more opportunities we give a team the more chance they'll score.

Evans ethos is to pressure high and stop teams getting at us, but when we leave so much space out wide we're asking too much of the wide diamond positions and full backs.

The diamond helps compact and shut out a midfield, but in L2 teams dont play through the middle.

I'm hoping that now we have a solid defensive midfielder we can play a proper 442 with at least one of our wide men staying wide and stretching teams.


Who's the solid defensive midfielder ?

Good point. We don't seem to have one. The guy Bostwick who played for Lincoln on Tuesday, looks the part. I'm surprised we didn't sign him.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2818
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby Jamie » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:45 am

I thought Butcher was a hard working midfielder who liked to get stuck in. He's barely scored any goals - sounds like a defensive midfielder to me. Certainly more defensive than say Mellis.
Jamie
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3861
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:42 am
Location: Mansfield

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:13 am

Amber Andy wrote:
abc wrote:
Jamie wrote:Personally i dont like the diamond we keep playing. It allows teams to much space out wide, especially later in games. It's as if we're inviting them to cross or have it wide.

Whilst we deal with lots of stuff well at the back, the more opportunities we give a team the more chance they'll score.

Evans ethos is to pressure high and stop teams getting at us, but when we leave so much space out wide we're asking too much of the wide diamond positions and full backs.

The diamond helps compact and shut out a midfield, but in L2 teams dont play through the middle.

I'm hoping that now we have a solid defensive midfielder we can play a proper 442 with at least one of our wide men staying wide and stretching teams.


Who's the solid defensive midfielder ?

Good point. We don't seem to have one. The guy Bostwick who played for Lincoln on Tuesday, looks the part. I'm surprised we didn't sign him.

Bostwick was a terrific signing for Lincoln. I was told by the Lincoln guys on Tuesday that he turned down a move to Blackburn as he wanted to live in Lincoln.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14750
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby ParisStag » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:11 am

Butcher isn't a defensive midfielder, he's an attacking mid that likes to get stuck in and works hard. Maybe that's why he's been labelled as a box-to-box player, but in truth, he plays off the striker. At Millwall his chances were limited because he couldn't be made to fit into their 442 formation. That worries me slightly, as we also play 442. Are we going to change formation or play him out of position?
User avatar
ParisStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3602
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby Kenwood » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:38 am

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/5769 ... rton-exit/

In this interview he did when leaving Burton he described himself as a hard working central midfielder.

He also played at Centre half in Scotland.

I suspect he will do the job Evans thought Digby could do
Kenwood
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:23 pm

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:59 pm

ParisStag wrote:Butcher isn't a defensive midfielder, he's an attacking mid that likes to get stuck in and works hard. Maybe that's why he's been labelled as a box-to-box player, but in truth, he plays off the striker. At Millwall his chances were limited because he couldn't be made to fit into their 442 formation. That worries me slightly, as we also play 442. Are we going to change formation or play him out of position?


We don't play 4-4-2 in the traditional manor, more 4-1-3-2.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1991
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby part time pete » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:18 pm

Noticed that there were three players sat behind the goal yesterday at Carlisle who weren't in the 18, namely Digby, Hunt & Sterling-James.

I can understand why Diamond, perhaps didn't travel, wasn't there ( injured?), but I was surprised I didn't see CJ Hamilton. Is he on his way out on loan to a conference club?
We might win against Accrington next time.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager
 
Posts: 4496
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby ironbru » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:39 pm

part time pete wrote:Noticed that there were three players sat behind the goal yesterday at Carlisle who weren't in the 18, namely Digby, Hunt & Sterling-James.

I can understand why Diamond, perhaps didn't travel, wasn't there ( injured?), but I was surprised I didn't see CJ Hamilton. Is he on his way out on loan to a conference club?


That wasn't Hunt that was Scott Merriman,Pete
ironbru
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 568
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:30 pm

ironbru wrote:
part time pete wrote:Noticed that there were three players sat behind the goal yesterday at Carlisle who weren't in the 18, namely Digby, Hunt & Sterling-James.

I can understand why Diamond, perhaps didn't travel, wasn't there ( injured?), but I was surprised I didn't see CJ Hamilton. Is he on his way out on loan to a conference club?


That wasn't Hunt that was Scott Merriman,Pete

it was indeed Sterling-James, Digby and Scott Merriman.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14750
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby part time pete » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:35 pm

So, did Hamilton and Hunt not travel to Carlisle and can we assume that they might be on way out on loan with Jack Thomas.
We might win against Accrington next time.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager
 
Posts: 4496
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:45 pm

part time pete wrote:So, did Hamilton and Hunt not travel to Carlisle and can we assume that they might be on way out on loan with Jack Thomas.

I'm not expecting Hunt to go out on loan. I'm expecting him to start against Grimsby!
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14750
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:38 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
part time pete wrote:So, did Hamilton and Hunt not travel to Carlisle and can we assume that they might be on way out on loan with Jack Thomas.

I'm not expecting Hunt to go out on loan. I'm expecting him to start against Grimsby!


Hope so, give Benning a kick up the jacksie
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4581
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:45 am

Evans did allude to Benning making mistakes 2 games on the trot.
I would expect Hunt to start sat
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
User avatar
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2462
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:48 am

Olejnik
Hunt Mirfin Pearce Bennett
Anderson Butcher Mellis Potter
Angol Hemmings

is my team for grimsby
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:26 pm

Bennett would be useless at left back for a start.....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
User avatar
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2462
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:47 pm

From what I am hearing the 3-5-2 from last week sounds an even stronger idea maybe Hunt and White in for Benning and MacDonald but would give us strength at the back and opportunity to play Butcher and Mellis.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1562
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:24 am

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby Im not the real OND » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Obviously the goal at Carlisle was a bad piece of defending by Benning, but that exception I have some sympathy for him. He is exposed on the left flank because of the system Evans chooses to play. With Anderson and Atkinson tucked inside trying to support Byrom, our full backs as regularly exposed against the opposing wingers and full backs. It's not even as if we have a defensive minded midfielder to come across and help in the full back position. Not only this, but the full backs are our sole attacking outlet from out wide. Its no wonder they are making mistakes when they constantly have to bomb up to support and back to defend.

White has been exposed defensively in a similar way and has dropped out of the side at the expense of a more solid Bennett. But that does limit our offensive threat down the right.

Its part of the reason I've been championing Evans finding a suitable holding midfielder if he is going to persist with the diamond. I'm still not convinced we have one.

The move to three centre halves and wingbacks seems like a logical solution to provide the full backs with some defensive cover and maintain an attacking threat, particularly as Evans has too many centre halves. But I think it would be short sighted to drop Benning if we moved to a wing back system. I would like to see White back in during that system too.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:02 pm

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:25 pm

Im not the real OND wrote:Obviously the goal at Carlisle was a bad piece of defending by Benning, but that exception I have some sympathy for him. He is exposed on the left flank because of the system Evans chooses to play. With Anderson and Atkinson tucked inside trying to support Byrom, our full backs as regularly exposed against the opposing wingers and full backs. It's not even as if we have a defensive minded midfielder to come across and help in the full back position. Not only this, but the full backs are our sole attacking outlet from out wide. Its no wonder they are making mistakes when they constantly have to bomb up to support and back to defend.

White has been exposed defensively in a similar way and has dropped out of the side at the expense of a more solid Bennett. But that does limit our offensive threat down the right.

Its part of the reason I've been championing Evans finding a suitable holding midfielder if he is going to persist with the diamond. I'm still not convinced we have one.

The move to three centre halves and wingbacks seems like a logical solution to provide the full backs with some defensive cover and maintain an attacking threat, particularly as Evans has too many centre halves. But I think it would be short sighted to drop Benning if we moved to a wing back system. I would like to see White back in during that system too.


Agree about the DM, Evans seems to think we have loads of players who can play that role but so far has only really used Byrom who is more of a playmaker and does not have the legs to cover the full backs. As I have said before I would like to see Rhys Bennett tried there, or to play with a flat four.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1991
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby geoffhill » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:37 pm

Byrom delivers a good dead ball.Apart from that he does not much else.Doesn't get involved enough.Time for Macdonald to be given a start.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1539
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:42 pm

geoffhill wrote:Byrom delivers a good dead ball.Apart from that he does not much else.Doesn't get involved enough.Time for Macdonald to be given a start.


I would dispute that. He has provided the most assists, two from open play off the top of my head. MacDonald should start instead of Atkinson who has done very little bar setting up Rose v FG.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1991
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby five to three » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:26 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
geoffhill wrote:Byrom delivers a good dead ball.Apart from that he does not much else.Doesn't get involved enough.Time for Macdonald to be given a start.


I would dispute that. He has provided the most assists, two from open play off the top of my head. MacDonald should start instead of Atkinson who has done very little bar setting up Rose v FG.


Are you claiming two assists??!!!!
five to three
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:28 pm

five to three wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
geoffhill wrote:Byrom delivers a good dead ball.Apart from that he does not much else.Doesn't get involved enough.Time for Macdonald to be given a start.


I would dispute that. He has provided the most assists, two from open play off the top of my head. MacDonald should start instead of Atkinson who has done very little bar setting up Rose v FG.


Are you claiming two assists??!!!!


:lol: they were lovely flick-ons
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1991
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby Dan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:57 pm

Im not the real OND wrote:I've been championing Evans finding a suitable holding midfielder if he is going to persist with the diamond. I'm still not convinced we have one


We have but he's injured at the moment ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5875
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:40 am

Would agree Potter deserves a start and could be changed if he flags due to fitness later in second half.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2464
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:28 am

Re: My team for Sat as it stands

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:52 am

tillydog123 wrote:Would agree Potter deserves a start and could be changed if he flags due to fitness later in second half.



lad has looked like a different player compared to last season, he didn't look like he would add anything to our squad but hopefully he can push on this year and prove himself. looking forward to seeing him play
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], lifestags, MutinyOnTheCounty, northern stag, Spiritater, stag861 and 25 guests