{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Obvious what is wrong!!!

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Obvious what is wrong!!!

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:24 pm

.....it seems to me that the main problems we are suffering as a team is our defensive mistakes!!!
Now I'm no expert but why do we seem to be second to the the ball in defence(always in the last 10 minutes)? Are we guilty of switching off or do we not trust our goalkeeper Etc etc??
Maybe we need to understand that this league isn't for the taking!!!!! Discuss....
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Re: Obvious what is wrong!!!

Postby bmthstag » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:30 pm

I think we need a defensive midfielder like Jamie McGuire who can do the horrid bits of the game and break the opposition play up and also give some protection to the back four. Someone with years of experience would be even better.
We also need a settled side, be that personnel or tactics/shape.
bmthstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Jamie » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:35 pm

My view would be an overall lack of fitness... If Evans wants a high pressure, high tempo game then we need to be fit enough to do that for 90 mins.

Also most already knew this league wasn't just there for the taking... Well certainly those who live in the real world.

To get top 3 in L2 you need more than just a load of players with higher league / promotion experience. You need to be fit, work hard and be consistent as well as have the quality to beat teams.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:56 pm

Danny Cowley said after the game that Lincoln's fitness won them the game as they were the stronger team in the 2nd half.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:34 pm

As far as I can tell, most problems seem to be coming from wide positions. Full backs are getting beaten. A very defensive midfielder would normally cover for this, or a defensive winger.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:57 pm

ParisStag wrote:As far as I can tell, most problems seem to be coming from wide positions. Full backs are getting beaten. A very defensive midfielder would normally cover for this, or a defensive winger.

This. Are they trying to get too far forward and when caught out can't quite get back quick enough. I would rather we try and be brave at home than too defensive though so am not sure what we need to do. The football we are playing is still light years ahead of previous seasons, just need to cut out these silly errors imo
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tawnystag » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:06 pm

Bad tactics, blindly persisting with 'favourites' and making constant changes in the side is what is wrong. I was a huge Steve Evans fan at the end of last season, but the tactical errors he made which cost us the play offs have carried on into this season. He is making mistakes in most games - either by playing the wrong players, or making changes during the game which have a negative impact. He then distances himself from these bad decisions by publically calling out specific names of players who he thinks is at fault during various post match interviews - all which is undoubtedly bad for morale.

I know it's early but he is spending an obscene amount of money, he's had this team a relatively long time now and I would've expected a better return than 1 win in 6 competitive games.
Tawnystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:08 pm

Who are his favourites then? I haven't noted he plays his favourite players, most of his signings have all had a chance to prove themselves
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:10 pm

We seem to be massively on top in the first half with our high tempo and pressing, but we miss several gilt-edged chances during these periods that could demoralise the opposition and essentially put them to bed.

Then come the end of the second half, we look knackered after the effort that's been put in and the opposition get a lift and get back into the game....and we capitulate.

If we're in a winning position perhaps Evans needs to recognise when the players need a breather, and make the tactical changes for us to sit off and play on the counter instead. With the opposition needing to chase the game, we have the pace available for this if gaps start to appear.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tawnystag » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:25 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Who are his favourites then? I haven't noted he plays his favourite players, most of his signings have all had a chance to prove themselves

I do agree that there has been an opportunity for all to prove themselves at some stage, but there is a narrative set by Evans that in some positions he has his favourites. Ill start with the obvious, Logan who most people believe he is the poorer keeper of the two we have. Then there was the Mirfin/Diamond pairing who were underwhelming in pre-season/opening games and despite this have been getting their shirts before last years outstanding players -Pearce and Bennett. There now seems to be a bit of blind faith behind Jimmy Spencer who Evans called out as his best player last night who in reality had a terrible game.

Then there was Shaq last season who would get the nod before Matt Green in most games.
Tawnystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum