{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Evans tells fans who booed to get some perspective!

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Evans tells fans who booed to get some perspective!

Postby chimney » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:23 am

Marky Mark wrote:I’ll never agree with booing, we’re there to support. And expectations are far too high for the club that we are. However, by all accounts (and by all accounts, I mean the level of noise coming from the club about it) this is the deepest and strongest squad that we have pretty much ever had, and the manager has had more support in the market than any other manager in the history of the club. Yet losing at home to Rochdale & Lincoln in the 2 cup games so far this season means the results in cup competitions are on a par with times in the last 15 years when the squad wasn’t as strong and deep - and in some cases, downright rubbish, so maybe the squad it isn’t as strong as we are led to believe. It’s early days, but from my 'perspective' I was hoping for something that was quite clearly different from before.

Of course this analysis is spot on and totally correct. This is our strongest squad ever in number and quality, ok at times we've had better individual players. Alas some teams in this bottom division also have their strongest squads ever. My concern is that SE can't or hasn't put out a settled back four yet. As for the booing last night, most I saw stamped their feet and stalked off like jilted lovers after seeing their ex in a pub with another
I only watch Corrie to see Eva's fantastic rack
chimney
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:26 am

We knew this competition was a priority fair enough but you would have thought lot of them players would have lot to prove last night, a few did but disappointing second half. If that way he is towards this competition then no point in being in it, thought Evans would have wanted us to do well in every competition we're in, sadly not though. Not condemning booing or abuse, as just makes matters worse but can understand people's frustration having lost a game and putting no fight in. Hope we come good starting Saturday.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:36 am

Fans tell manager with best financial backing in MTFC history to start making better decisions!
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:47 am

I was not at the One Call last night and didn't obviously witness anything.

Why would people boo at this stage of the season especially after the display against Luton on Saturday.

Yes, it's great to win, particularly a local derby but the game was meaningless apart from learning more about players.

Time will tell if SE will be successful, I believe he will be and at this club.

Fasten your seat belts.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:50 am

we are not a team yet, we do have good players who show class in periods of the match, but lesser teams are knicking goals against us because they know their roles etc, ours will come and when it does we will be far better than we are at the moment in terms of results and entertainment.
old ram stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:56 am

Some folks have no patience, time to chill out and let the manager manage.

Could it just be that the players are beginning to believe SE's hype about quality etc.

Time for the lads to realise that you have to demonstrate quality and no opposition team is going to roll over because you are quality, in fact, the opposition are likely to try 20% harder to beat you.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:04 am

Doesn't matter how much quality we have if every free kick, corner, cross into the box looks like a goal for the opposition.
This league is full of 'big' sides that play for set pieces etc so unless he resolves this issue we will continue to concede at an alarming rate
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:05 am

I'm not a fan of this competition but I'm sure JR is not very happy about missing out on the chance to pick up £10k from winning last night's match and also missing out on the chance to play a big side in the League Cup. Every penny counts and the manager cannot expect JR to keep giving him more cash to sign even more players. As Mark pointed out, I expected Evans to do better in the Cup competitions with the squad that he has assembled.

CheckaTrade Trophy Prize Money

Participation fee: £20k
Group Stage: £10k for a win and £5k for a draw
Round two: £20k for a win
Round three: £40k for a win
Quarter-final: £50k for a win
Runner-up: £50k
Winner: £100k
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby withnail » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:21 am

I wish I'd not taken the competition seriously, just as Evans did. I could have saved myself £15 plus the petrol and a 30 mile round trip. Not pleased that he's taking us for mugs and I fully understand why some might vent their displeasure.
withnail
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:29 am

Sheffieldstag wrote:I'm afraid that expectations are too high. The club and some fans have got carried away and seem to believe that we should be thrashing every team we play. Fans are not known for their patience, caused by the Premiership effect! I cant remember constant booing in the 90's when we had some dire teams, questionable football and poor games.

Certain fans do need to have a bit of perspective. Rome wasnt built in a day and people need some patience.

Exactly!

Expectations rocketed since SE came in board and the summer signings. This has put immediate pressure on us, effectively we want results quicker than our attention spans allow.

For sure questions are abound and rightly so, but patience is required if we're ever to settle in and see the best of this team. I suspect JR will not fund our club like this again, if his investment is not given time to bear fruit
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:47 am

I drove 80 miles yesterday giving a lift to two Gimp fans knowing full well that the boss would not take it seriously.

Did i want us to win? Of course, I did and whilst I was realistic when I saw the team, I was completely gutted that we played so badly in the 2nd half. I was also realistic that it was a chance for several of them to prove their worth either for a place in the match day squad or, in the case of players like Jack Thomas, at the club.
In the case of Potter and MacDonald, they played well and did enough for consideration for the matchday squad.
Something is not right with Hayden White and Jack was just not good enough last night.

The booing not only seems petty but also nonsensical. That could be Jack Thomas' last experience of playing for his home town club. Whilst those few who did well walked off to boos.

I just don't get it. This was not a case of a Holdsworth style 90 minutes of running around like headless and classless chickens. We were good in the first half and absolute rammel in the second. But booing can't help.
Tainted Soul says I am great!
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:53 am

So maybe to add a little perspective here this is my view on what I have seen to date against Crewe, Rochdale, FGR and Luton.

For me booing the team in any situation makes no sense but booing them in August goes beyond nonsensical into a whole new category which I just can't fathom where does this idea come from that we will just roll over everyone we play? It will not happen immediately unless you are very lucky.

For me we have every reason to be positive the Crewe game could have gone either way but many teams will go there and come away with nothing I think they will be serious play off contenders. We deserved more against Rochdale, we despatched FGR quite comfortably despite their antics. Accrington is Accrington and we came within a whisker of beating Luton, like them or not if we finish one place behind them we will go up.

Positives from August are that we have 2 strikers with 2 goals each, Angol looks to be improving and him and Hemmings looked a real threat Saturday. We look strong in every position and have competent backup despite what I'm hearing of last nights second half display.

Negatives at this stage for me are the concession of late goals, Logan worries me a bit but not to the extent I want him out and for Atkinson hasn't shown anything on a consistent front but has assisted a couple of goals.

They need time to pull this together I appreciate with all the hype and influx of better players expectations will rise and it's not always easy to be patient but that's what we need right now. We don't need to be heaping pressure on the players to instantly improve it can be nothing other than counter productive.

As for personnel if he gets any more in so be it if not I am happy with what we have I would be stunned if anyone wanting Spencer or Logan moved on will get their wish I would prefer Olejnik to start and contrary to popular belief and his atrocious penalty on Saturday Spencer does bring something different and could well be a very good partner for Hemmings in the right game. I'm not saying he should start just stating his case.

We can't just throw out all the early season positivity based on what was always going to be a tough start so let's get that perspective and back the team come Saturday.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby No Breaks Allowed » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:46 pm

kcassellsfootygenius wrote:So maybe to add a little perspective here this is my view on what I have seen to date against Crewe, Rochdale, FGR and Luton.

For me booing the team in any situation makes no sense but booing them in August goes beyond nonsensical into a whole new category which I just can't fathom where does this idea come from that we will just roll over everyone we play? It will not happen immediately unless you are very lucky.

For me we have every reason to be positive the Crewe game could have gone either way but many teams will go there and come away with nothing I think they will be serious play off contenders. We deserved more against Rochdale, we despatched FGR quite comfortably despite their antics. Accrington is Accrington and we came within a whisker of beating Luton, like them or not if we finish one place behind them we will go up.

Positives from August are that we have 2 strikers with 2 goals each, Angol looks to be improving and him and Hemmings looked a real threat Saturday. We look strong in every position and have competent backup despite what I'm hearing of last nights second half display.

Negatives at this stage for me are the concession of late goals, Logan worries me a bit but not to the extent I want him out and for Atkinson hasn't shown anything on a consistent front but has assisted a couple of goals.

They need time to pull this together I appreciate with all the hype and influx of better players expectations will rise and it's not always easy to be patient but that's what we need right now. We don't need to be heaping pressure on the players to instantly improve it can be nothing other than counter productive.

As for personnel if he gets any more in so be it if not I am happy with what we have I would be stunned if anyone wanting Spencer or Logan moved on will get their wish I would prefer Olejnik to start and contrary to popular belief and his atrocious penalty on Saturday Spencer does bring something different and could well be a very good partner for Hemmings in the right game. I'm not saying he should start just stating his case.

We can't just throw out all the early season positivity based on what was always going to be a tough start so let's get that perspective and back the team come Saturday.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

We need time to settle as a team, the Luton game showed me how good we could be this season. Yes, we gave away two sloppy goals, but I'm confident Evans will sort this out. Once the transfer window is shut, we can just focus on the football. We've got a great chairman & CEO who don't fire managers after couple of bad results, they will give Evans and his team time. I'm confident we'll have a successful season, but like the season we went up from conference, it all wasn't rosy and plain sailing at the start, but looked what happened.

Let's get behind them team! COYS
No Breaks Allowed
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby stag_27 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:48 pm

Key perspective to be adopted for me is whether we look a far better side, and have a far deeper squad, than we did this time last year. I think we can all agree we do. Significant progress has been made personnel wise.

Lots of be optimistic about - we have lost 1 league game, and have shown real quality in spells.

Yes, defence needs sorting, but I look at the quality of individuals (if anything we have too many decent defenders) & believe it will come relatively quickly - Evans is too experienced, and has been too successful, for it not to be resolved soon. I entered the season more worried about scoring goals, but that concern has been largely removed.

We are still second favourites with the bookies.

Chin up Stags.
stag_27
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:02 pm

Always on reflection u try to look at the bigger picture and things not quite so bad in cold light of day
Agree the expectation levels are so sky high here u can feel the spine chill when we lose/draw games after dominating them so much.

We have not yet had much of a settled team yet and I think nice as it is to have the big squad of quality we do need roughly the same 11 for a while.

Another defeat Sat will send us all into meltdown again no doubt but I am sure nobody thought that the start would go this way and at we would have chalked up at least another 3 or 4 points and minimum draw with Imps whose tail seems much more up than ours.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:12 pm

Apart from the 2nd half last night, the performances have been better than last season. I think we should have won our first three games (including the Rochdale League Cup match), drawn against Accrington and beat Luton. Unfortunately we have not defended well from set pieces and balls into the box; and we have also switched off in the last five minutes of games. Evans' substitutions have also not had a positive impact on the games to date. Last night was the first game that we deserved to lose.

I'm hoping that managers are right when they say that if the performances are good then the points will come.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Chadman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:47 pm

Chadman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:31 pm

tillydog123 wrote:The season has gone from hope and optimism full of bright blue mediterranean sun and sea to a glass of flat champagne.

You could probably have seen the script pre season that the Imps would come and grab a win esp with Ollie and Green to score.

the cup is tin pot and don't think anybody too bothered to be out but we thought we might make a couple of rounds at least.

Oh how we poor Stags still seem to be famous for our steps forward but more so for our steps back again.

Its all early days again again and again but has anybody checked and looked at SE's stats for demotions I know he has 9 promotions but ???

Hope JR and CR are a bit more careful with the handout of cash to SE for while!!

We're not out yet, we've still got to play Notts County and Everton!!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Old timer » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:28 pm

Think some of us including me were a bit quick off the mark last night to criticise. I never boo but last nights loss hurt even though it was supposedly a competition Evans isn't bothered about. I'm bothered about losing to a local rival even though Evans may not be but I've jumped the gun before and criticised Coxy plenty in the season we got promoted so what do I know. Still early days, the team needs to gel and Evans needs to find out about his players too. I/we Just have to be more patient.
Old timer
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:45 pm

Chadman wrote:My view for what it's worth . . .

http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/ma ... -1-8728393

John Lomas goes and spoils it all by bringing a modicum of common sense to it all. Oh Mrs GFB had organised for us to go out for lunch with the two Gimp fans today so I had chapter and verse on the gospel according to Danny Crowley today as well.
Tainted Soul says I am great!
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:59 pm

Tbf some good performances from those I personally see fit for the first team, MacDonald, Potter, Olejnik...

When we get a settled side, and play like we did for 75 mins against the leagues best team, we will do very well! Evans is right to say this is a cup we dont care about, and its showed us what fringe players actually care and are good enough.

Big game saturday, I think our attacking play will murder Carlise!
Sedgwick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:03 pm

In my opinion, we needed a loss in a meaningless cup match to kick us on in the league. Its not a problem losing in this cup. All focus must go on the league. I agree with evans.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Tel » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:03 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I'm not a fan of this competition but I'm sure JR is not very happy about missing out on the chance to pick up £10k from winning last night's match and also missing out on the chance to play a big side in the League Cup. Every penny counts and the manager cannot expect JR to keep giving him more cash to sign even more players. As Mark pointed out, I expected Evans to do better in the Cup competitions with the squad that he has assembled.

CheckaTrade Trophy Prize Money

Participation fee: £20k
Group Stage: £10k for a win and £5k for a draw
Round two: £20k for a win
Round three: £40k for a win
Quarter-final: £50k for a win
Runner-up: £50k
Winner: £100k

This.

What really upset me last night is the manager coming out and saying this is not a priority. That does not give the right lead to the players, let alone supporters.

As others have already said on this thread, on paper we have the largest 'quality' squad we have had for years. How are you going to keep the majority of the squad involved in competitive matches if we fail in all of the cup competitions at the first hurdle.

The money side of it also has to be a consideration. Gate receipts must have been around £20k last night, (I understand we only get a share), plus food/drink sales/ancilliary sales and potential prize money. Hopefully, these figures we would rise if we were playing well and progressing and given the wages bill that we have, this has got to be worthwhile in the long run.

Finally, the equivalent of this 'tinpot trophy', (I dont agree with the reserve teams being in it by the way), gave me one of the best experiences of my Stags Life. That day at Wembley will remain with me whilst I draw breath.

We are Mansfield Town. We are not going to win the Premier League, FA or League Cups - but we could win this this year with the squad that I think we have. Please Mr Evans, by all means make changes, but lets give it a proper go.

Terry

By the way, I thought at times last night we played really well. Macca's return was real plus and Alfie's goal was superb. However, I have to question 10 changes after a great performance against Luton. Those that played against Luton must have been champing at the bit and raring to go against Lincoln. And, I did not boo my own team - never will.
Tel
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Beano » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:35 pm

Chadman wrote:My view for what it's worth . . .

http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/ma ... -1-8728393

John Lomas in stags fan bashing shocker

The Norman of journalism.
We think the same things at the same time
We just can't do anything about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:48 pm

I reckon we've been chucking that someone soon is going to get a tonking since we best Rotherham 9-2 in 1932
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum