{ the forum }

Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Evans set to bomb out under-achievers this week

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Evans set to bomb out under-achievers this week

Postby Chadman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:51 pm

Steve Evans has made his mind up on certain players in the squad in tonight's defeat and they will be shown the door this week while he tries to cling onto two he wants to keep that other clubs have bid for.

http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/ma ... -1-8727657

Full match report

http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/ma ... -1-8727614
Chadman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Evans set to bomb out under-achievers this week

Postby Norman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:58 pm

Spencer , Benning and Thomas?
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby vicar jeremiah » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:00 pm

Norman wrote:Spencer , Benning and Thomas?

Bennng didn't play, you are probably right on the other two
Last edited by vicar jeremiah on Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kylie Minogue, God's gift to Mankind
vicar jeremiah
Manager
Manager

Postby Young021 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:01 pm

Defo not Spencer as he said he played well tonight guessing it will be Thomas and tafty
Young021
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby vicar jeremiah » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:05 pm

Young021 wrote:

Defo not Spencer as he said he played well tonight guessing it will be Thomas and tafty

The problem with spencer, imo, is that he doesn't offer anything different, and any decent defender will have him Sussed without breaking sweat
Kylie Minogue, God's gift to Mankind
vicar jeremiah
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:06 pm

I really don't know what he sees in Spencer. I am not convinced he is good enough. Shame we didn't buy Amond - he is far better than Spencer, Rose and Sterling-James. Would have been cheap too!
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Young021 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:07 pm

vicar Jeremiah wrote:
Young021 wrote:

The problem with spencer, imo, is that he doesn't offer anything different, and any decent defender will have him Sussed without breaking sweat

Spencer doesn't offer anything special tbf but obviously he's one of Evans favourites so he can't do much wrong
Young021
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:35 am

Taft move away and Thomas out on loan is my guess
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:37 am

They are bound to be players that the Fat Controller did not sign. I would say Thomas, Taft and CJ Hamilton are the favourites to leave.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:51 am

Gotta be these 3 as they are the only ones he didnt sign that rarely feature

Would expect all 3 to go before thursday.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Nutty Stag » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:10 am

I wonder if he considers himself as one of the under-achievers?
Nutty Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bigalstag » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:24 am

The fear factor of continually being able to change a player, whenever he has a bad game, will only take us so far. Eventually it comes down to quality of coaching and a settled side, with the odd bit of quality sprinkled in, to get you out of tight spots.
Tactically tomight, I couldn't see any joined up thinking, with problems that have been there since the first pre season game, still apparent ( failure to defend high balls into box and killer instinct in front of goal). Perhaps this should be a priority before bringing further signings in
bigalstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Alwaysa5tag » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:11 am

Steve Evans is clearly trying to convince JR to sign yet more players....whilst i didn't think anyone was outstanding last night....for example i didn't think that there was much in the performances between George Taft, Jack Thomas or Jimmy Spencer....i thought they were "ok"....yet Spencer was outstanding (his signing) according to SE and pushed himself in contention for Saturday....really??....and whilst he didn't name names its clear the other 2 fall into the other bracket...i thought Taft was ok and was probably our best defender in pre-season but he wants rid (not his signing).

Thomas i thought worked extremely hard and put loads of effort in (can ask for no more) but it didn't quite come off for him but only 72 mins of competitive football in months and months i thought he did alright......again not an Evans man so he wants rid.

For me Hayden White was the worst player on the park tonight...he couldn't head a ball in the right direction and continually gave the ball away....he appears very erratic....it's only 1 game so not slagging him off....I'm just putting things into perspective as again no mention as hes one of Evan's boys.

Losing a wee bit of respect for Mr Evans.
Alwaysa5tag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Kenwood » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:23 am

Alwaysa5tag wrote:Steve Evans is clearly trying to convince JR to sign yet more players....whilst i didn't think anyone was outstanding last night....for example i didn't think that there was much in the performances between George Taft, Jack Thomas or Jimmy Spencer....i thought they were "ok"....yet Spencer was outstanding (his signing) according to SE and pushed himself in contention for Saturday....really??....and whilst he didn't name names its clear the other 2 fall into the other bracket...i thought Taft was ok and was probably our best defender in pre-season but he wants rid (not his signing).

Thomas i thought worked extremely hard and put loads of effort in (can ask for no more) but it didn't quite come off for him but only 72 mins of competitive football in months and months i thought he did alright......again not an Evans man so he wants rid.

For me Hayden White was the worst player on the park tonight...he couldn't head a ball in the right direction and continually gave the ball away....he appears very erratic....it's only 1 game so not slagging him off....I'm just putting things into perspective as again no mention as hes one of Evan's boys.

Losing a wee bit of respect for Mr Evans.

I thought it was just me who thinks Hayden struggles to head a ball?

He has put in some very attacking performances and I do like him as a player, however his inability to just simply head a football is strange and something he does almost all the time
Kenwood
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby wayno cordiniho » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:34 am

I think we need a bit more than effort, plenty of teams in this league have effort and keep getting last minute goals when we switch off... we need the quality to close out games, manage the games and take our chances
wayno cordiniho
First Team
First Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:10 am

This is nothing new. Even Alex Ferguson bought players, then released them early on. I am sure it will all come good soon enough.
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:14 am

I'd consider someone allowed to bring in 14 players and offer all of the others extended contracts, yet, wanting to bomb some of these out in August, as underachieving themselves.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:15 am

DoomMerchant wrote:I'd consider someone allowed to bring in 14 players and offer all of the others extended contracts, yet, wanting to bomb some of these out in August, as underachieving themselves.

I'd countenance waiting to see what happens over the next couple of days.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:22 am

I agree Belly and am far from beginning to start on a downer on the manager. But would have expected more from someone who says he is meticulous about players he recruits.

Wouldnt be shocked to see as many as maybe 3 in, 3 out before Friday. JR has invested so much in to Mr Evans so far that he has little choice but to let him finish tinkering in this window.

However, if things falter over the season it rests on just one pair of shoulders. Personally I expect things to come good. The two performances I've seen this season have been largely excellent.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:33 am

DoomMerchant wrote:I agree Belly and am far from beginning to start on a downer on the manager. But would have expected more from someone who says he is meticulous about players he recruits.

Wouldnt be shocked to see as many as maybe 3 in, 3 out before Friday. JR has invested so much in to Mr Evans so far that he has little choice but to let him finish tinkering in this window.

However, if things falter over the season it rests on just one pair of shoulders. Personally I expect things to come good. The two performances I've seen this season have been largely excellent.
]

He's got more than enough to succeed in this league, then some. I'd consider loaning a GK from a higher club, but that is a matter of debate.

Put it this way, if we eradicate the last 10 minutes from Saturdays performance and play half as good as we did Saturday and we'll be more than fine. I also think that our squad depth will serve us well later in the season when heavier pitches/suspensions and games mount up if we have a poor winter
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:16 pm

Agree largely with Doomy and being down on the manager is not the way forward at this stage but he has had all the support and players he wanted with the exception maybe of a few strikers who we could not get for one reason or another.
I am sure he will shoulder the criticism well but I do think spencer was not a great buy and was always paraded as a sort of upgraded Hoban.
Anyway onwards an upwards and I guess there would be few managers of SE's pedigree who would want to be here.
He did say he is not a league 2 manager but he is currently one and needs to get the direction right so he can go back to being a minimum league 1 manager.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:18 pm

Any movement at the mill this afternoon? Or are we leaving it until the last day?
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ParisStag » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:49 pm

Maybe he thinks he needs to keep up with Luton. They've brought in Berry from Cambridge and are after Sonny Bradley from Plymouth.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:06 pm

None of Evans signings will move on i wouldnt have thought ?
Thats a major admission of misjudgment shirley ?
Gotta be Taft Thomas and CJ
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:50 pm

Ive seen Thomas walking in after training twice and he's not looked happy at all... Cant be good for the dressing room having a mardy kid around the rest of the lads. Id get him gone asap, he's just not good enough. And I feel evans sees him between youth team and first team.

Taft, I like. He was great at burton and in preseason but doesn't seem to do well when given the chance, but what do you expect after not playing for months? Plus with all the defenders we have and the manager preferring Diamond, Mirfin and Pearce... will he ever be needed? Id get him out on loan.

Cj... Hes lightening quick but offers nothing else in my opinion. His composure on the ball and the way he strikes a ball isn't to the standard of a professional footballer.. sounds harsh but imo he's not got it for the top end of this league. Id be interested to know how many assists he's got along with chances created etc because its not like he hasn't been given a chance.

Sooner we have a settled side, and the sooner logan is dropped the better.

Imo our strongest side is as follows, With maybe one or two that could easily be changed, i.e. Rose in for Angol, Atkinson in for Byrom, White for Bennett, etc

----------Angol Hemmings

Anderson Byrom Mellis Macdonald

Benning Diamond Pearce Bennett

-----------Olejnik

In contention for starting 11:
Rose
Atkinson
Mirfin
White

Subs:
Potter
Sterling-James