{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Logan

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Logan

Postby Kernow » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:51 am

Again yesterday, he was not up to speed , line hugging and just watched three efforts sail past him and hit the woodwork. The defenders have lost faith in him, several times clearing the ball anywhere rather pass to him. Time foe a change please.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Frontrowhero » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:32 am

i remember watching an alex ferguson documentary and he said your side is nothing without a top class goalkeeper and centre forward. his side was built around schmeichel being a rock at the back and cantona was a leader. he said applies to any team, any league. He knows what he talking about, all this strengthening we have done but at the moment we still have not sorted the key goalkeeper position. I'm hoping angol and hemmings come good up front, you can see the potential. logan, I seem to spend most nights watching gk training and you can tell who has it and who doesn't, he is simply not good enough. bang average league 2 keeper, too slow, routed to the line can go on. We need to sort this position, theres plenty of quality of young keepers at prem/championship clubs. we need to sort a loan ASAP
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Jamie » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:43 am

Frontrowhero wrote:theres plenty of quality of young keepers at prem/championship clubs. we need to sort a loan ASAP

We can't do anything now till the window opens in January... unless ive missed something about loans.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:44 am

At least we appear to have sorted out our boo boy nice and early this season.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:26 pm

Frontrowhero wrote:i remember watching an alex ferguson documentary and he said your side is nothing without a top class goalkeeper and centre forward. his side was built around schmeichel being a rock at the back and cantona was a leader. he said applies to any team, any league. He knows what he talking about, all this strengthening we have done but at the moment we still have not sorted the key goalkeeper position. I'm hoping angol and hemmings come good up front, you can see the potential. logan, I seem to spend most nights watching gk training and you can tell who has it and who doesn't, he is simply not good enough. bang average league 2 keeper, too slow, routed to the line can go on. We need to sort this position, theres plenty of quality of young keepers at prem/championship clubs. we need to sort a loan ASAP

Are we getting any real value out of our goal keeping coach?
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby harryboy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:33 pm

Bring back Alan Marriott as a coach.Heard on radio that he would like to get into coaching
harryboy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:21 pm

We've got a coach, he's Evans' man so not likely to change.
wayno cordiniho
First Team
First Team

Postby Grendon Stag » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:10 pm

Frontrowhero wrote:i remember watching an alex ferguson documentary and he said your side is nothing without a top class goalkeeper and centre forward. his side was built around schmeichel being a rock at the back and cantona was a leader. he said applies to any team, any league. He knows what he talking about, all this strengthening we have done but at the moment we still have not sorted the key goalkeeper position. I'm hoping angol and hemmings come good up front, you can see the potential. logan, I seem to spend most nights watching gk training and you can tell who has it and who doesn't, he is simply not good enough. bang average league 2 keeper, too slow, routed to the line can go on. We need to sort this position, theres plenty of quality of young keepers at prem/championship clubs. we need to sort a loan ASAP

Thats just your opinion and all the other so called experts on here.. However the man whose opinion matters disagrees with you all.
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:35 pm

I was at Carlisle on Saturday and Logan was awful.Never came off his line once.A couple of times he had chances to gather the ball but a defender had to clear it.The defence have no confidence in him.Every stags fan at the game was moaning about him.We can't all be wrong can we?The new lad looked very good big and strong and has an eye for a goal.Not sure what injury Diamond has got but he has not been at the ground much.Evans has not mentioned a bad injury.Olejnik should start against Grimsby.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Their shot that hit the post... he didn't even move?
The one v one was basically an empty net.

Bobby neeeds the number 1.
Sedgwick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Frontrowhero » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:57 pm

bellwhiff wrote:At least we appear to have sorted out our boo boy nice and early this season.

not one person has booed him at a game yet, all fans are doing bellwhiff is acknowledging that the guy is in lehmans terms playing crap and needs dropping. nothing wrong in that, when the boo's start you can drop your boo boy line, I'm hoping he's dropped before that happens to save logan the slating
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Frontrowhero » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:02 pm

Vice President wrote:

Are we getting any real value out of our goal keeping coach?

the problem is vp, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I'm sure the coach is trying his best, to sort out logan. Its time to see what olejnik has to offer
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:05 pm

No we don't. We just need to give Bobby a chance. A distant relative of mine is a Rochdale season ticket holder and told me Logan is a good keeper. Must say I've not been impressed so far.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Frontrowhero » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:10 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

No we don't. We just need to give Bobby a chance. A distant relative of mine is a Rochdale season ticket holder and told me Logan is a good keeper. Must say I've not been impressed so far.

good call andy, can't be any worse!
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:17 pm

Logan is only getting stick because we lost 4 points in the last two games, if we had scored both penalties i don't think anyone would be talking about him at all.

I'd give olejnik a chance now personally
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:18 pm

Frontrowhero wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

good call andy, can't be any worse!
He looked ok against Lincoln. However, not too impressed with his kicking. I think he deserves a chance.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Frontrowhero » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:49 pm

Grendon Stag wrote:

Thats just your opinion and all the other so called experts on here.. However the man whose opinion matters disagrees with you all.

can't remember anyone on here saying they were experts, just giving their opinion. seems to me nearly everyone thinks a change is needed,

rather than always have a pot shot at everyone else grendon, give us your opinion on the matter? keep or dropped. steve is stubborn and no doubt is not the type of manager to admit defeat so easily with logan. I am 100% sure logan will be between the sticks against Grimsby, lets hope he gives us one of these league1 performances we have yet to see. 1 win in 7 league and cup is a very poor start
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:19 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Logan is only getting stick because we lost 4 points in the last two games, if we had scored both penalties i don't think anyone would be talking about him at all.

It's a strange one Bobby. Hand on heart I don't think he can be blamed for losing us points so far, but he doesn't fill me with confidence. In the Forest Green game the centre half came to his rescue on two occasions, and on Saturday he was rooted to the spot when one Carlisle effort hit the post.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:31 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Logan is only getting stick because we lost 4 points in the last two games, if we had scored both penalties i don't think anyone would be talking about him at all.

It's a strange one Bobby. Hand on heart I don't think he can be blamed for losing us points so far, but he doesn't fill me with confidence. In the Forest Green game the centre half came to his rescue on two occasions, and on Saturday he was rooted to the spot when one Carlisle effort hit the post.

I'm with Bobby. GIve Oilslick a chance.
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby satkin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:12 am

I also don't think he can be blamed for the points losses up to yet. However for the most there was a massive difference between the Carlisle keeper and back four, especially under pressure, he commanded the area, made some great saves and collected the ball comfortably when needed. His only mistake arguably was where we scored. The main point is that they looked calm as a unit under pressure, we on the other hand looked like keystone cops at times. More work should be done to get the back four and keeper to work as a unit. Doesn't help if it isn't always the same players.
satkin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:38 am

satkin wrote:I also don't think he can be blamed for the points losses up to yet. However for the most there was a massive difference between the Carlisle keeper and back four, especially under pressure, he commanded the area, made some great saves and collected the ball comfortably when needed. His only mistake arguably was where we scored. The main point is that they looked calm as a unit under pressure, we on the other hand looked like keystone cops at times. More work should be done to get the back four and keeper to work as a unit. Doesn't help if it isn't always the same players.

Good post.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:12 am

There is no doubt that our defence is an issue: we seem to panic at the back, especially with crosses and we can't keep a clean sheet.
However, it is not all Logan's fault - there are many factors: Yes Logan seems to stay on his line, and this doesn't help, but the full-backs have not defended well at times, allowing crosses in and/or dragging the centre-backs away from their markers. We have also been tactically inept as a team (not marking properly at set pieces and being over zealous when attacking leaving ourselves vulnerable to the counter attack).
We have a more attacking team and mind-set this year (last year we were playing a lot of games with a 5th defender - Collins).

Then there is the 'pressure factor': last season we had no pressure, this season there is far more expectation & pressure - and that might explain why we are being a bit nervous, especially in the last few minutes of a game and when taking penalties.
Steve Evans has some good players, but he also has a big challenge in getting us to defend like a promotion team, and I suspect that this is more a mental/psychological preparation as much as, if not more than, rectifying it on the training ground.

Regarding which goal keeper to pick - I think that Olejnik has the edge at the moment - his mobility being the key factor.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:18 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

I'm with Bobby. GIve Oilslick a chance.

His positioning for Accringtons winner and Lutons leveller was poor, though he wasn't directly at fault. Saw Carlisles goal, where he basically fell on the floor without moving, what's all that about? 1 on 1's are relatively easy to score (though we seem to make hard work of them) but at least put something into it.

The defence have no trust in him and each time there's a cross he doesn't come off his line - i don't know if this what he's always done and/or doesn't move so fast as he's a bit fat - but either way, it needs sorting soon.

Irrespective, I hope for all concerned that the lad comes good.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:32 am

One on ones aren't easy to score. Matt Green was shocking at converting them.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:32 am

bellwhiff wrote:One on ones aren't easy to score. Matt Green was shocking at converting them.

Well Logan made it look easy on Saturday :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum