{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Luton scorefred sponsored by Be there, this ones a cracker

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Luton scorefred sponsored by Be there, this ones a crac

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:20 pm

adamstag wrote:I think apart from the obvious need to replace Logan we were great for the first 80 minutes.

Play like that for the rest of the season and we will be just fine Thankyou, remember what we played were the title favourites, a side much better than our own talented squad and we bloody took them to the cleaners.

Evans subs weren't great,, the fitness levels need questioning and Logan needs dropping but other than that were a good shout for the top 3.

Angol had a cracking game with hemmings upfront and the midfield in general looked good.

Despite the result we've much to build on

Agreed. No need for undiluted pessimism.
Mr Evans is on borrowed time
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:23 pm

Nevertheless it feels like a defeat. And I thought we were title favourites. But at least we didn't lose. I'm not particular bothered if Luton win the title. If we finish 2nd or 3rd to them I'll be happy. I've cheered up a fair bit having watched the sloppy goals Cheaterfield conceded against Newport.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:38 pm

Okay it was a raspberries penalty from Spencer, but why was a player who'd only just come on taking it? At least he had the bottle to step up.
I never understand players placing a pen though, just stick your laces through it 9/10 the shear pace of the shot beats the keeper. Once in a while you'll get a Waddlesque pen go into orbit, but nearly all fluffed pens seem to come from the attacker trying to be cute.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:42 pm

Got to agree with those criticising the manager. He blew it today. The team gave so much that they were blowing out of their trumper. As soon as Angol made it 2-0 it was time for fresh legs, going five in the middle. Was made for MacDonald as well as Digby and Stirling-Moss up top on his todd.

Evans lost these points more than any individual player, whatever his excuses.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:45 pm

Sneag wrote:Okay it was a raspberries penalty from Spencer, but why was a player who'd only just come on taking it? At least he had the bottle to step up.
I never understand players placing a pen though, just stick your laces through it 9/10 the shear pace of the shot beats the keeper. Once in a while you'll get a Waddlesque pen go into orbit, but nearly all fluffed pens seem to come from the attacker trying to be cute.

We said the same pal. The lad had just come on. Don't tell me that Byrom or Anderson couldn't have taken that. Spencer never looked confident and the finish summed up our last quarter of an hour - no energy or confidence. Although at least it made someone happy.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:50 pm

Surely any side would have a designated penalty taker and a no2 for it. It was very Mansfield.

We were all saying had we been 2-0 down we wouldn't have got it back to 2-2 and the penalty would have gone in, it's what Mansfield do.

I'm concerned that our fitness would just fall off at that level across the board though, irrespective of subs.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:07 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:all playing very well first half, next goal winner

As I've told you many, many times before bud, 3 is the magic number.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:09 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Got to agree with those criticising the manager. He blew it today. The team gave so much that they were blowing out of their trumper. As soon as Angol made it 2-0 it was time for fresh legs, going five in the middle. Was made for MacDonald as well as Digby and Stirling-Moss up top on his todd.

Evans lost these points more than any individual player, whatever his excuses.

Have to agree but I bet Evans ripped into his players at full time instead of taking the blame .
Billy the fish
First Team
First Team

Postby Spiritater » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:26 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
wayno cordiniho wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:I think byrom keeps his place because he sets nearly all of our goals up...

Nah drop our provider, no goals = more to moan about!

My opinion is as valid as yours, my friend.

My opinion is you don't know what you're talking about.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:03 pm

First game for Mrs GFB since Evans joined the club. Bear in mind her first season ticket was under McEwan so she has seen some real rammel at the Mill.

The discussion in the car home was initially of the frustration from today but then as we got further down the A1, we become increasingly excited by the potential that this squad has. I have not seen Logan play before and it seemed to me that the CHs have no confidence in coming even when he has shouted for the ball. That is something i suspect that will never be overcome.
We should have won today and the feeling caused by the penalty miss like a loss but if we had been offered a point against the Hatters before the game we would have been delighted. If we had been offered a point with the quality that we showed in most the game we would have been over the moon.

This team still needs to gel but they have the feeling of something truly special.
Tainted Soul says I am great!
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:09 pm

I agree GFB, if we play like we did (minus the buck up at the end) for 90 minutes against most teams we will surely smash them.

The defense and gk need that trust or communication, twice today pearce headed the ball out when logan could have easily caught it
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:30 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:I agree GFB, if we play like we did (minus the buck up at the end) for 90 minutes against most teams we will surely smash them.

The defense and gk need that trust or communication, twice today pearce headed the ball out when logan could have easily caught it

I picked up on that too Bobby. I think SE should give our other keeper a go against Carlisle.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:36 pm

We have lincoln on tuesday so it'd be perfect to chuck olejnik in there, i'd also play hemmings but give angol a rest. we haven't seen johnny hunt yet i completely forgot we had him but seeing as benning fluffed up badly at the end we may do soon!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:11 am

Worrying start to season and all this talk by SE of dominating games is no good when we are now 14 th in table 1 win against basically none league side
if we can't hold a 2 nil lead 5 mins before the end it's goodnight Vienna and more league 2 for us but guessing if SE fluffs the promotion thiis season then he is toast too as JR can't give him anymore sweets and toys to play with and can't see him wanting to hang around as he needs another promotion for his CV .
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:29 am

Early days yet... should've won today but we've only lost once (in the league). Be patient, it will come
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:25 am

Patience is not in most football fans make up though.
August over and four games gone.

They are not twitchy just at the moment, but if September turns out to be another month of underacheivement and we are not on an upward trajectory (downward atm) then there'll be a number on here searching through the cutlery drawer looking for that big pointy carving knife and steel.

Carlisle mustn't be a loss. We have supposedly the best side in 15 years, failure is not an option.

Early days yet and I know it'll be stated about gelling, but look at Shrewsbury... 12 new players in the Summer and they're on a roll. We however are stuck in first gear. :cry:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:39 am

Spiritater wrote:Patience is not in most football fans make up though.

They are not twitchy just at the moment, but if September turns out to be another month of underacheivement and we are not on an upward trajectory (downward atm) then there'll be a number on here searching through the cutlery drawer looking for that big pointy carving knife and steel.

Carlisle mustn't be a loss. We have supposedly the best side in 15 years, failure is not an option.

Early days yet and I know it'll be stated about gelling, but look at Shrewsbury... 12 new players in the Summer and they're on a roll. We however are stuck in first gear. :cry:

Stuck in first gear ? We have been excellent in three of the four games . Missed chances , silly mistakes and the penalty miss is the only reason we are not top of the league .
The first half yesterday was the best I've seen us play for years . I wasn't too impressed with Logan positioning play but besides that I think every starting player were very good .
You can't just highlight Shrewsbury when there are other teams not doing so well after they have signed a lot of players .
Like others , I was disappointed with the result yesterday but only because we played Luton off the park for most of the game ..
tmwilson
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:16 am

tillydog123 wrote:Worrying start to season and all this talk by SE of dominating games is no good when we are now 14 th in table 1 win against basically none league side
if we can't hold a 2 nil lead 5 mins before the end it's goodnight Vienna and more league 2 for us but guessing if SE fluffs the promotion thiis season then he is toast too as JR can't give him anymore sweets and toys to play with and can't see him wanting to hang around as he needs another promotion for his CV .

That's hilarious
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:17 am

Spiritater wrote:Patience is not in most football fans make up though.

That's hilarious too.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Footie mad » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:22 am

Disappointed with the result yesterday to be 2 mill up and then let 2 goals in .Would like to see White Pearce Taft and Bening at the back and see how they perform together.
Footie mad
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:29 am

I thought Hylton was fantastic yesterday, one of the better league 2 players and he sure knows how to goad a crowd.
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:50 am

Spiritater wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
wayno cordiniho wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:I think byrom keeps his place because he sets nearly all of our goals up...

Nah drop our provider, no goals = more to moan about!

My opinion is as valid as yours, my friend.

My opinion is you don't know what you're talking about.

You let yourself down with that inane retort, 'tater!
Mr Evans is on borrowed time
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:54 am

We were mugged by what is probably the most expensive team in the league with some fantastic players. Even then, we had a chance to win it and fluffed it. It was also (for 80% of the time) some of the best football put together in years against a strong team. This is not like when we stuffed a very poor Pies team for fun. We made a very good team look ordinary in the first half, they came back stronger after half time and we shut them out again.

In the last 10 we got it wrong. But surely that it is to be expected when you put a group of strangers together and send them on a run of quick games in August. There are no targets in August, there are places we need to be in the League by September and if yesterday was first gear I cannot wait to see third or fourth as we will destroy teams.

In reality, we are better than I suspect we could reasonably expect for a new squad in League Two and they showed the problems of massive squad change but what they did show is that if Evans and Raynor do their job properly we have something truly exciting and when the points do start mattering from November onwards, we will be up at the top.
Tainted Soul says I am great!
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:14 am

Completely my thoughts too George. Glad I'm not alone in being really optimistic about this team.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:20 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:We were mugged by what is probably the most expensive team in the league with some fantastic players. Even then, we had a chance to win it and fluffed it. It was also (for 80% of the time) some of the best football put together in years against a strong team. This is not like when we stuffed a very poor Pies team for fun. We made a very good team look ordinary in the first half, they came back stronger after half time and we shut them out again.

In the last 10 we got it wrong. But surely that it is to be expected when you put a group of strangers together and send them on a run of quick games in August. There are no targets in August, there are places we need to be in the League by September and if yesterday was first gear I cannot wait to see third or fourth as we will destroy teams.

In reality, we are better than I suspect we could reasonably expect for a new squad in League Two and they showed the problems of massive squad change but what they did show is that if Evans and Raynor do their job properly we have something truly exciting and when the points do start mattering from November onwards, we will be up at the top.

But what if they keep getting it wrong.
Their subs seem to effect every game, in the wrong way!!!
Taking Mellis off then Angol cost us big style, Digby was awful and it showed how bad D Rose really is, he didn't hold the ball up or win a header even once.
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum