{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Luton scorefred sponsored by Be there, this ones a cracker

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Luton scorefred sponsored by Be there, this ones a crac

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:30 am

don't think it's fair to say 'showed how bad rose is'. he was just not the right choice to bring on in a game like this, he couldn't hold the ball up well enough, but luton looked like they were trying to wind mellis up and hemmings looked shot
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:24 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:don't think it's fair to say 'showed how bad rose is'. he was just not the right choice to bring on in a game like this, he couldn't hold the ball up well enough, but luton looked like they were trying to wind mellis up and hemmings looked shot

I do, I actually thought it was the right time to bring Rose on to keep the pressure on their back line but he was awful. Whilst he was on the bench I hope he watched Angol, Hemmings and Hylton on how to get above the ball to head it to a team mate or actually use your body to shield or turn your opponent.
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:39 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:We were mugged by what is probably the most expensive team in the league with some fantastic players. Even then, we had a chance to win it and fluffed it. It was also (for 80% of the time) some of the best football put together in years against a strong team. This is not like when we stuffed a very poor Pies team for fun. We made a very good team look ordinary in the first half, they came back stronger after half time and we shut them out again.

In the last 10 we got it wrong. But surely that it is to be expected when you put a group of strangers together and send them on a run of quick games in August. There are no targets in August, there are places we need to be in the League by September and if yesterday was first gear I cannot wait to see third or fourth as we will destroy teams.

In reality, we are better than I suspect we could reasonably expect for a new squad in League Two and they showed the problems of massive squad change but what they did show is that if Evans and Raynor do their job properly we have something truly exciting and when the points do start mattering from November onwards, we will be up at the top.

But what if they keep getting it wrong.
Their subs seem to effect every game, in the wrong way!!!
Taking Mellis off then Angol cost us big style, Digby was awful and it showed how bad D Rose really is, he didn't hold the ball up or win a header even once.

Evans' track record would suggest that he will not keep getting it wrong.
You could turn it round and say that Mellis and Angol cost us by getting stupid bookings when it was clear that the referee had lost self control over his use of cards. If they had not been booked then Evans could have kept one of them on. Digby and Rose were brought into a pell mell, nasty match and couldn't get to the pace of it enough to show quality.

I would argue that this squad has the capacity to really kill off mediocre and lower teams. We were up against a cracking and resilient team. My concern is the local derbies which could end up with a couple of niggly draws costing us 6-8 points over the season. I would repeat that, if we can hit the heights of yesterday, then we will do very well.
Tainted Soul says I am great!
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:49 pm

Hemmings also got stupidly booked by time wasting after our second goal by refusing to get back to our half of the pitch for the kick off.
We might win against Accrington next time.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:54 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:We were mugged by what is probably the most expensive team in the league with some fantastic players. Even then, we had a chance to win it and fluffed it. It was also (for 80% of the time) some of the best football put together in years against a strong team. This is not like when we stuffed a very poor Pies team for fun. We made a very good team look ordinary in the first half, they came back stronger after half time and we shut them out again.

In the last 10 we got it wrong. But surely that it is to be expected when you put a group of strangers together and send them on a run of quick games in August. There are no targets in August, there are places we need to be in the League by September and if yesterday was first gear I cannot wait to see third or fourth as we will destroy teams.

In reality, we are better than I suspect we could reasonably expect for a new squad in League Two and they showed the problems of massive squad change but what they did show is that if Evans and Raynor do their job properly we have something truly exciting and when the points do start mattering from November onwards, we will be up at the top.

Taking Mellis off then Angol cost us big style, Digby was awful and it showed how bad D Rose really is, he didn't hold the ball up or win a header even once.

Sorry but how did 10 minutes of game time "showed how bad D Rose really is" They switched to 3 at the back. We looked knackered after playing at a high tempo all game and we were picked apart by a good team who conserved their energy 1st half. They passed it around the back to give players further forwards a bit of a breather. Then when we tired towards the end they went all out. The rest is history. Because of tiredness at the back we just smacked it clear. Against 3 defenders Rose was always going to struggle to impose himself.

We will play worse than that yesterday and win.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:58 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Evans' track record would suggest that he will not keep getting it wrong.
You could turn it round and say that Mellis and Angol cost us by getting stupid bookings when it was clear that the referee had lost self control over his use of cards. If they had not been booked then Evans could have kept one of them on. Digby and Rose were brought into a pell mell, nasty match and couldn't get to the pace of it enough to show quality.

I would argue that this squad has the capacity to really kill off mediocre and lower teams. We were up against a cracking and resilient team. My concern is the local derbies which could end up with a couple of niggly draws costing us 6-8 points over the season. I would repeat that, if we can hit the heights of yesterday, then we will do very well.

Fair points George but I still think his subs really let him down
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:44 pm

I came away frustrated at first but now realise how far we have come to dominate a good Luton side. Good times ahead guys so just enjoy the ride.
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:51 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Patience is not in most football fans make up though.
August over and four games gone.

They are not twitchy just at the moment, but if September turns out to be another month of underacheivement and we are not on an upward trajectory (downward atm) then there'll be a number on here searching through the cutlery drawer looking for that big pointy carving knife and steel.

Carlisle mustn't be a loss. We have supposedly the best side in 15 years, failure is not an option.

Early days yet and I know it'll be stated about gelling, but look at Shrewsbury... 12 new players in the Summer and they're on a roll. We however are stuck in first gear. :cry:

That's hilarious too.

As are most of your posts whiffy lad, I'm so glad you're back :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:56 pm

Spiritater - why are you being such a determined "mood Hoover"?

Have you been spending too much time with Norman?
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:59 pm

I come on here win, lose or draw. Norm only appears if we lose, there is a difference.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:01 pm

Spiritater wrote:I come on here win, lose or draw. Norm only appears if we lose, there is a difference.

Very nearly true. Moaning Norman was on here yesterday.
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby manssmooth » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:38 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
manssmooth
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amberheart » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:12 pm

walkiing away from the ground yesterday I heard some Luton fans laughing & saying how did they manage to get a point from that game ?!
We played with tempo & were the better team for the majority of the game
It was hard to take when we missed the pen & actually felt like a loss in the end
However I look forward with relish to the rest of the season & especially the local derbies.
a stag is a proud & noble beast
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:19 pm

We weren't mugged off. Luton played very well and had us on the rack for the vast majority of the second half.
Our second goal was against the run of play and watching the replay I think Angol was lucky to score. There's no way he played it through the keeper.

I'm taking nothing away from us, we are undoubtedly one of the best sides in the division and light years ahead in football terms than any Stags team I've seen since 2001.
For me there is something missing in the middle of the park to link midfield and attack. I hope Evans gets his midfielder as it could be the most important signing.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:56 pm

It was an exciting game with craft and talent obviously in play by many players from both sides. The penalty debacle left us all uber-disappointed, but we'd have given anything to see a Stags team perform like they did for 70 minutes yesterday, under AM's management.
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:02 pm

Regardless if Angol was lucky or not thats now two in two for him and long may it continue.

Heard some Luton fans on the way back also say "We'll give you one thing that your the best team we've played so far".

Hears hoping we're getting the tricky games out the way early (the visit to our bogey ground and visit of the champions elect (or so they think) in the last two games).
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby JimmyMac » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:45 pm

I don't think the subs were wrong just that they were awful when they came on!! Don't know if the players came off because they were tired or because they were on a yellow or both. :coys:
JimmyMac
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby pemill » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:00 am

Gutted I missed this game but I have to say the Belgian Grand Prix turned out to be an experience worth missing the game for.

Just seen the highlights and I have to say the second goal was a catastrophe, from the cross coming in from the right, then the defending beyond the far post, how SE has singled out Benning for not doing his job is beyond me, unless he's referring to him not being in the left back position for the initial cross.

Not that I've read all the post match posts but there's no mention about Digby giving up on tracking back the runner for the first goal, whilst he looked cream crackered he didn't bust a gut to keep up with their No.7? who put the cross in for the goal.

As for the penalty, their GK guessed right, had he dived the other way it would have been a goal and a win. What I found most interesting about that situation is Danny Rose effectively ruling himself out taking it, he knelt down tying his laces immediately after the penalty was given, I'm guessing he didn't fancy it after his similar miss against Rochdale. The GK's reaction was absurd, I'd be celebrating with my team mates rather than acting like a drunken hooligan wanting a fight.
pemill
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:53 am

pemill wrote:
Just seen the highlights and I have to say the second goal was a catastrophe, from the cross coming in from the right, then the defending beyond the far post, how SE has singled out Benning for not doing his job is beyond me, unless he's referring to him not being in the left back position for the initial cross.

Hylton gets to the header before Benning, that is what he is refering to.

pemill wrote:
Not that I've read all the post match posts but there's no mention about Digby giving up on tracking back the runner for the first goal, whilst he looked cream crackered he didn't bust a gut to keep up with their No.7? who put the cross in for the goal.

my report:
Luton pulled a goal back on 85 minutes. Cornick and Stacey were given far too much room on the Luton right, Stacey crossed from the byline, and Collins was in the right place to tap in from 3 yards. Collins demonstrating his goalscoring instincts by being in the right place to convert after previously having a poor game including putting in a couple of terrible crosses. Digby was outpaced by Stacey in the build-up to the goal, and Benning allowed too much space in the build up.

pemill wrote:
As for the penalty, their GK guessed right, had he dived the other way it would have been a goal and a win. What I found most interesting about that situation is Danny Rose effectively ruling himself out taking it, he knelt down tying his laces immediately after the penalty was given, I'm guessing he didn't fancy it after his similar miss against Rochdale. The GK's reaction was absurd, I'd be celebrating with my team mates rather than acting like a drunken hooligan wanting a fight.

Evans gave strict instructions to Rose not to take another penalty. The two designated penalty takers had both been subbed.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby adamstag » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:12 am

It's frustrating that we've managed to drop 3 points in the last 2 games at the death though, both Accrington and Luton.

We'd be doing very, very well to get anything from Carlisle on Saturday, certainly a tough start.

Keep with it though, the season is young
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:43 am

Just a bit of fine tuning required, we gave everyone's favourites a tough test and should have took all 3 points. Disappointing on Saturday, but also lots of positives.
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:06 pm

We drew the game and lost two bags of coal due to Steve Evans' substitutions. He has yet to make a substitution in five games that has had a positive impact on the game (apart from Alfie Potter helping to win a penalty in the League Cup match). We nearly lost in the last five minutes at Crewe, lost the game at Accrington and blew a 2-0 lead at home to Luton. Nathan Jones' brought on Cornick, Berry and Rea and gained a point.

Nathan Jones/John Coleman 1 "Nine (Eight) Promotions Evans" 0.

The Fat Controller needs to do a lot better.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:16 pm

Have to agree with a lot of Tippy Tappy comments
His subs have not been the best for a man of his wealth of experience in games such as this when we clearly need to close the game down and make it tighter.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:47 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Those not in attendance. We've battered them so far. I'm not sure if Luton town football club or it's a mix of their diving and netball teams.

Wellow dangerous every time we venture forwards. It took them 45 minutes to register 1 shot on target.

Excellent display so far.

New signing?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby BoughtonStag71 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:05 pm

Dan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Those not in attendance. We've battered them so far. I'm not sure if Luton town football club or it's a mix of their diving and netball teams.

Wellow dangerous every time we venture forwards. It took them 45 minutes to register 1 shot on target.

Excellent display so far.

New signing?

I hope gazza's not clairvoyant and seeing us having local derbies with Wellow F.C :lol:
BoughtonStag71
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum