{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Dave Tarpey

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Dave Tarpey

Postby Melbourne Stag » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:56 am

Not necessarily the big signing that everyone has been anticipating, however;

We've had a number of players in higher divisions turn us down
Players such as Akinde & Hylton in our division rumoured to have turned us down

My fear is, we'll end up bring in our 8 choice striker in, just because we let Green go and simply wasting a fee in the process.

Rather than throwing money at a marquee signing, this guy scored 44 goals last season in National League South, helping Maidenhead win the league and he has already scored 7 goals in 4 games this season in the Conference - he absolutely knows where the net is and those nets are the same size in Lg2.

Obviously, already attracting attention, with Charlton and Gillingham keen, however I would much rather see this guy come in for a much lower fee and potentially go back to the market when the players Evans wants, actually want to sign for us.

Anyway, just my opinion.
Instagram; aaroneccleston
Melbourne Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:19 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby Stags 2002 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:35 am

I think a fair shout, 28 yrs old so arguably in his prime.

Hopefully already on SE's radar.

Corey Whitely is a winger so ignore that suggestion.
Last edited by Stags 2002 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby Spiritater » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:57 am

I doubt he'll up sticks to come this far North. If he goes anywhere it'll be down South. We'd need to offer him silly money to come here.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 16117
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby tibby » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:16 am

He's a winger is he not?
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1006
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:30 pm

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby oldweststander » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:54 am

At 28 and settled in the south, can't seem moving as far north as Mansfield particularly if southern clubs are willing to take a punt.

Remember Palmer, he scored goals down there too, up here pathetic.

No, leave Steve to sort it, if he can't no one can, you can't make players sign up and a pressed man is worthless.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby adamstag » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:38 am

He's also a plumber as he's part time.

So he'll be similar to have Damian Reeves was when at Alty those years back - would be little point in going full time for a year or 2 without knowing whether it'll come off when he's got a well paid job as it is
adamstag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4957
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:56 am

Ollie Palmer came from the Conf South with a goal scoring record of 37 goals in 69 games....

Nothing against the lad, but i think it's a massive step up in terms of fitness and having time on the ball with trickier opposition at this level. I think he'll huff and puff like Taz on steroids, but despite his best efforts i'm not sure he'd get enough, at least not until 1 or more seasons have passed. I guess Charlton & Gillingham can afford to take him on as an outside chance, where as we are looking for someone who can definitely fill what we deem is a void.

Tbh it'd be a complete punt on him and i'd rather avoid the Tarpey tombola
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
User avatar
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1690
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby Im not the real OND » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:23 am

Steve Evans isn't interested in potential or untried players.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1200
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:02 pm

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby Richard Cranium » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:02 pm

Like Sterling James
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2528
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:37 pm

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:14 pm

Im not the real OND wrote:Steve Evans isn't interested in potential or untried players.

I disagree, however he won't want too many in the squad in total.
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1213
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:46 pm

We already have our unproven player and that is sterling, don't think we'll get another one
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2535
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby Melbourne Stag » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:56 pm

Some fair comments.

I am concerned we've exhausted every possibility. I guess closer to the transfer window closing will determine whether players want to come or not.

If Mansfield have got to good start, this will be a draw. If players aren't getting a look in at their current club, this will also affect decisions.
Instagram; aaroneccleston
Melbourne Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:19 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby geoffhill » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:37 pm

He scored 4 last night against a good side in AFC Fylde.Just saying.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1539
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby Vice President » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:19 pm

geoffhill wrote:He scored 4 last night against a good side in AFC Fylde.Just saying.


Tempting isn't it! I'd be happy for us to take a punt on this player, but in addition to an experienced proven league striker, as I think we need that badly. If that means releasing one of our 'excess' centre-backs then yes, why not?
I can't see it happening though. Steve Evans has a particular type of striker that he is after (and I think that may differ from my preference). Never mind - I am sure that Steve Evans knows best, his record deserves a certain amount of trust (even though I am starting to ask a few questions in my mind! ;) )
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1196
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:59 pm

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:02 am

So Barnet managed to hang on to Akinde and signed Dave Tarpey as well. Good business by The Bees.

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3062
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby Spiritater » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:08 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:So Barnet managed to hang on to Akinde and signed Dave Tarpey as well. Good business by The Bees.




But can he do it at League level?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 16117
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:08 am

I expect 100 goals between them this season (inc 30 penalties).
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
User avatar
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8296
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:42 pm
Location: Insularfield

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:20 am

Tarpey has looked good on the Vanarama show and videos. He's quick and shoots with both feet. Good on penalties and free kicks as well.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3062
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby daddycool » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:34 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Tarpey has looked good on the Vanarama show and videos. He's quick and shoots with both feet. Good on penalties and free kicks as well.


Every club must have had a look at him.
daddycool
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1420
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:42 am

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby SINA STAG » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:56 am

I thought he worked for Mansfield District Council.... there must be two Dave Tarpeys
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2961
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby part time pete » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:17 pm

He turned Coventry down as he didn't want to move house.
We might win against Accrington next time.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager
 
Posts: 4494
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby Stags 2002 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:33 pm

part time pete wrote:He turned Coventry down as he didn't want to move house.


Also because he didn't want to take a pay cut.

His job and pay at maidenhead outweighed the offer from Coventry.
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby part time pete » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:58 pm

Stags 2002 wrote:
part time pete wrote:He turned Coventry down as he didn't want to move house.


Also because he didn't want to take a pay cut.

His job and pay at maidenhead outweighed the offer from Coventry.


Are you saying Barnet have offered more than Coventry, or is he still part time and might be late for some evening kick offs due to him being kept at work on overtime.
We might win against Accrington next time.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager
 
Posts: 4494
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby Stags 2002 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:13 pm

part time pete wrote:
Stags 2002 wrote:
part time pete wrote:He turned Coventry down as he didn't want to move house.


Also because he didn't want to take a pay cut.

His job and pay at maidenhead outweighed the offer from Coventry.


Are you saying Barnet have offered more than Coventry, or is he still part time and might be late for some evening kick offs due to him being kept at work on overtime.


Barnet clearly offered more than Coventry as relocation wasn’t an issue.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/ ... e-13526761

Explains all in the above
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Dave Tarpey

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:27 am

Did he play on Saturday or did he have a kitchen conversion on?
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
User avatar
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8296
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:42 pm
Location: Insularfield

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], CassellsCap, ironbru, mans_field and 36 guests