{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Angol

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Angol

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:14 pm

Judge him properly after he's had half a season, or even a season. It takes some strikers a few games to star at banging them in and looking confident, just give him time rather than criticising
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:16 pm

Give the lad a chance.

My gut feeling is not to expect another striker of quality coming in this window.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:29 pm

oldweststander wrote:Give the lad a chance.

My gut feeling is not to expect another striker of quality coming in this window.

we're way past that 20 goal a season striker, its not happening. he might bring in someone to ease the jobs of our other strikers though. I think Rose and Angol will be enough this season but we'll see..
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:48 am

After all the criticism of lee ,i just thought it fair that we should revisit this thred to allow some to redress the balance ,yesterday he was awesome ran lutons defence ragged my mom :coys:
spanishstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Jamie » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:14 am

Not sure about MotM but he certainty put more of a shift in. Was a little lucky with his goal but they all count. Some decent play from him.

I thought his "ear cupping" gesture as he ran past the QLE was a bit out of order.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:17 am

He did very well, showed a different side to his game today, held the ball up, took players on, well done to the lad.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:21 am

Jamie wrote:Not sure about MotM but he certainty put more of a shift in. Was a little lucky with his goal but they all count. Some decent play from him.

I thought his "ear cupping" gesture as he ran past the QLE was a bit out of order.

MOTM by a fair distance. Bennett the only one that came close.
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:22 am

Angol was excellent. Those that dismissed him after one performance are muppets.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:30 am

I wonder if he does visit this board, as his 'gestures' after he scored seemed to be 'up yours' :lol:
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:32 am

Maybe he was waiting to hear Bex's reply who started the thread ;)
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:37 am

Why wouldn't players visit fans forums to gauge opinion? And we've already seen Paul Anderson become the target of a Twitter dickhead.

Any new players: Logan, Mirfin, Diamond, Angol, Spencer for starters who might have read Stagsnet over the past few weeks would be perfectly inclined to think that the majority of us are impatient, spoilt morons who've wrote them all off already.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:40 am

thought he played really well yesterday, was strong and still had the luton defence trying to pull his shirt off him all game. tidy finish for his goal as well! keep it up lad, 2 in 2!q
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bex » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:17 am

He had a good game yesterday,giving the Luton defence a torrid time,in total contrast to earlier matches,credit where credits due,well played Lee
"Played a 1 2 with the 'keeper and got an easy slot in" Paul Anderson 12/08/2017
bex
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby robeyre » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:42 am

Jamie wrote:Not sure about MotM but he certainty put more of a shift in. Was a little lucky with his goal but they all count. Some decent play from him.

I sit on qle and having heard just some of the abuse thrown at him I dont blame him one bit for the gesture. He's replied the only way a good striker should and dserves far more from us fans than we have given him so far. I've been a Mansfield fan for 55 years but I sometimes wonder about how quick we are to crisis on so little evidence.
robeyre
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby tibby » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:48 am

If he came on here he'd just laugh at the clear lack of understanding about our beautiful game.

Watching it week in week out gives you next to no insight of actually playing it.

Someone said to me just before hemmings was subbed, "why isn't he running for that ball?" I simply replied with "he's knackered, that's why" simple yet informative. They are human beings, not robots.

Hemmings did however look overweight to me
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:21 am

Hemmings did well, no overweight he is a chunky chap.

With a little more luck he could have scored but goals will come when he gels with the team
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:29 am

Angol, Hemmings and Mellis put in a shift ( as did others ). They tired as a result. If they had sufficient energy they would have probably stayed on and we would have won the game. The lads that came on were unable to exert the same pressure on Luton.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:40 am

Interesting a guy next to me commented after 30mins that there is no way we could keep up the intensity and we would struggle in last 15mins, and so it proved

As someone mentioned, in hindsight, a switch to 4-5-1 with sterling james up top to stretch the defence would have been a good idea. But hindsight is a wonderful thing
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:42 pm

tibby wrote:Interesting a guy next to me commented after 30mins that there is no way we could keep up the intensity and we would struggle in last 15mins, and so it proved

As someone mentioned, in hindsight, a switch to 4-5-1 with sterling james up top to stretch the defence would have been a good idea. But hindsight is a wonderful thing

Hindsight is a wonderful thing .... but even at the time I thought that Evans' substitutions were crazy. Taking off two strikers (who were playing brilliantly) in the last 5 minutes and replacing them with another two (like for like, but inferior) strikers - in the last 5 minutes when we needed to close out the game didn't make any sense at all! Evans' substitutions haven't been good so far.
We didn't learn anything from our last minute defeat against Accrington in the previous week.
If we want to get promotion, we need to buck up and learn how to see out a game.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:43 pm

Lee Angol and David Mirfin were my MOM against Luton.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:49 am

Vice President wrote:
tibby wrote:Interesting a guy next to me commented after 30mins that there is no way we could keep up the intensity and we would struggle in last 15mins, and so it proved

Hindsight is a wonderful thing .... but even at the time I thought that Evans' substitutions were crazy. Taking off two strikers (who were playing brilliantly) in the last 5 minutes and replacing them with another two (like for like, but inferior) strikers - in the last 5 minutes when we needed to close out the game didn't make any sense at all! Evans' substitutions haven't been good so far.
We didn't learn anything from our last minute defeat against Accrington in the previous week.
If we want to get promotion, we need to buck up and learn how to see out a game.

I agree but I have a feeling Evans thought we had won the game. Surely bringing in defenders is more important in these tinder box games.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby James » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:53 am

Could you explain which bit of his goal was lucky?

Midfield did well to disposses their defender, great ball from Byrom, and Angol showed a quick turn of pace & a decent finish...
I've got a Grapefruit matter...
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:36 pm

Thought his goal was a great finish no luck involved most forwards will aim low at the keepers feet in that situation so they can't get a hand down in time. He probably didn't mean to nutmeg him but everything else was intended.

His overall performance was very good some players need more time to settle than others. Why some people don't understand these guys are human and not robots is beyond me. The partnership between him and Hemmings seemed to click much more too Hemmings may not be as quick but he makes very clever runs behind the defence which opens up space for others.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:30 pm

I'm a bit confused about why a player mildy reacting to abuse is out of order?

.....Ah, I get it now! I checked wuth the club, and they confirmed that each QLE ticket comes with a free match day hypocrisy voucher! :P

I get what you're saying Jamie, but fans should never dish out the medicine if they can't take a dose themselves
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:18 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:

I'm a bit confused about why a player mildy reacting to abuse is out of order?

.....Ah, I get it now! I checked wuth the club, and they confirmed that each QLE ticket comes with a free match day hypocrisy voucher! :P

I get what you're saying Jamie, but fans should never dish out the medicine if they can't take a dose themselves

The problem is he's gesturing to 600+ odd people, most of which haven't given him much if any stick, or certainly nothing he would have heard. You can't just lump all fans in together.

By this argument, it's ok to abuse an entire race of people because one person of that race wronged you. Or treat all women a certain way because of what your ex did to you.

I've been a bit critical of him and if he joined this site and PMd me or came to speak to me then fine he can gloat that he scored and 'proved me wrong' if he wants... but to gesture like that to all fans including those who haven't had a word to say is surely a bit disrespectful.

If he'd been here months and got tones of stick from the QLE (as players have in the past) then fine, but second home game to do that after getting lucky with a poorly placed 1 on 1 that the keeper very nearly stopped, was a bit much for me and showed a lack of class.

Not a good example to set and not the way to win favour with your own fans.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum