{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New Striker - One Possibility

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

New Striker - One Possibility

Postby Nutty Stag » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:03 pm

One name I haven't seen mentioned is Eoin Doyle at Preston. Scored goals at all the clubs he played for and spent the back end of last season at Portsmouth. Alex Neil is their boss and he may well be willing to let him go as he hasn't featured so far.
Nutty Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: New Striker - One Possibility

Postby tibby » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:56 pm

Strange player is Doyle. A few of my mates were never thrilled with him even when he was scoring goals for town. One of those players where no1 was ever quite sure how he scored so many goals.

As odd as it may sound!

His overall game wasn't great at all, and certainly didn't warrant moving to the league he did for the money involved.
tibby
First Team
First Team

Postby Johnny H » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:15 pm

Its James Hanson,
300k bid !!!
Johnny H
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Foxy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:17 pm

source Johnny H?
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:33 pm

I mentioned Doyle I don't know how long ago
@beckenham_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:15 pm

Eoin Doyle is shocking
Sedgwick
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Stiff as a Dearden » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:05 am

Johnny H wrote:Its James Hanson,
300k bid !!!

I think it is him. Although 300k is rather a lot as they only bought him for 150k in Jan
Stiff as a Dearden
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Stephen » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:25 am

I really hope not!
Twitter: @stephentsd
Stephen
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:26 am

Doyle is not the answer. Had one good season with Cheaterfield. He's no better than what we already have.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby stace1983 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:51 am

One fan near me said the Stags are signing James Collins from Accrington. Face + Palm moment from me lol
stace1983
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby kwambo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:41 am

Stiff as a Dearden wrote:
Johnny H wrote:Its James Hanson,
300k bid !!!

I think it is him. Although 300k is rather a lot as they only bought him for 150k in Jan

Was only £150k as had 6 months left on his contract
kwambo
First Team
First Team

Postby Kenwood » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:58 am

Interesting full interview on Stags Player after the game with Evans.

He mentioned that this player only became available last week, and he would expect him to leave his current club this transfer window if not too us then another club.

He also said he understands fans becoming frustrated with him saying we have made a record bid and then nothing happening.. he confirmed if this move doesn't happen he will name the player concerned.

Only my interpretation of what he was saying but I don't think the player will / has agreed terms to drop to league 2 from the championship
Kenwood
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:25 pm

On this quiet Sunday afternoon, having looked through the Championship squads, unless it is a player who you would this player turns out to be someone who is massively out of our league, the four most likely options I think are :

Arnold Garita - Bristol City

Had a loan spell at Plymouth where he scored a couple of goals. Not exactly setting the world alight. Seems unlikely Lee Johnson would ring Evans though.

Tyler Walker - Forest

Played then in a friendly so may have contact with Warburton. Local club. Question is whether we could afford to buy him.

Eoin Doyle - Preston

Ex-Chesterfield. Scottish link between Alex Neil and Steve Evans. Seems a bit more likely than the other two.

James Hanson - Sheff Utd

Seems most likely to me. We know Evans and Wilder are friendly. Hanson came off injured after coming back from injury midweek after rumours he had been out on the lash, potential source of fallout. Feel he was always signed purely to get them out of League One. Would give us the other quality Evans was talking about, proper target man. Likely will have offers from League One. Wilder has said club have received bids for some of players.

From
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Devon G Pompey fan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:55 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Eoin Doyle is shocking

He got injured pretty quickly after coming in on loan for us last season. He arrived to great herald both in the press and terraces, however he only got one goal i seem to recall. I thought he was disappointing. That said it did start a bit of run.

Good win for you boys yesterday. It must be pleasant to be in top 3 whilst Chesterfield are not.
Devon G Pompey fan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Spiritater » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:11 pm

Devon G Pompey fan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Eoin Doyle is shocking

He got injured pretty quickly after coming in on loan for us last season. He arrived to great herald both in the press and terraces, however he only got one goal i seem to recall. I thought he was disappointing. That said it did start a bit of run.

Good win for you boys yesterday. It must be pleasant to be in top 3 whilst Chesterfield are not.

I think it's a bit more than pleasant pal. It's the sort of feeling you used to have when beating or being above the Saints... a long time ago I know, but it sort of went.

WAAAAAAAHEY :mexican_wave: :mexican_wave: :hysteria: :hysteria: :drummer: :drummer: :rofl: :rofl: didn't it?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Greenie1982 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:06 pm

Went to home game Saturday and I think a striker of Hansons quality would probably have us win the title with ease And white is a tank of a player :coys:
Greenie1982
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Stiff as a Dearden » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:30 pm

Mason Bennett at derby ? They are about to sign tom Lawrence.
Stiff as a Dearden
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:39 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:On this quiet Sunday afternoon, having looked through the Championship squads, unless it is a player who you would this player turns out to be someone who is massively out of our league, the four most likely options I think are :

Had a loan spell at Plymouth where he scored a couple of goals. Not exactly setting the world alight. Seems unlikely Lee Johnson would ring Evans though.

Tyler Walker - Forest

Played then in a friendly so may have contact with Warburton. Local club. Question is whether we could afford to buy him.

Eoin Doyle - Preston

Ex-Chesterfield. Scottish link between Alex Neil and Steve Evans. Seems a bit more likely than the other two.

James Hanson - Sheff Utd

Seems most likely to me. We know Evans and Wilder are friendly. Hanson came off injured after coming back from injury midweek after rumours he had been out on the lash, potential source of fallout. Feel he was always signed purely to get them out of League One. Would give us the other quality Evans was talking about, proper target man. Likely will have offers from League One. Wilder has said club have received bids for some of players.

From

Definitely not Tyler Walker. Notts County wanted him on loan & Forest refused saying he was in their plans. Warburton mentioned at Brentford yesterday that he could 'come back in to the squad' for Tuesday night.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:21 pm

Dan wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:On this quiet Sunday afternoon, having looked through the Championship squads, unless it is a player who you would this player turns out to be someone who is massively out of our league, the four most likely options I think are :

Tyler Walker - Forest

Eoin Doyle - Preston

James Hanson - Sheff Utd

From

Definitely not Tyler Walker. Notts County wanted him on loan & Forest refused saying he was in their plans. Warburton mentioned at Brentford yesterday that he could 'come back in to the squad' for Tuesday night.

Cheers Dan, thought him more unlikely.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:05 am

:D S E as said on radio its a championship striker :D
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:03 am

It won't be Mason Bennett, he wouldn't score 20 goals in three seasons.

Favorite is still James Hanson but his alleged love of booze is a concern.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:29 am

oldweststander wrote:It won't be Mason Bennett, he wouldn't score 20 goals in three seasons.

Favorite is still James Hanson but his alleged love of booze is a concern.

Never really held him back before, even if true.

He's been a very good L2/L1 target man for the past 6 years or so.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:44 am

Has a 1 in 3 ratio, starts to goals.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:31 am

George Hirst?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:33 am

Dan wrote:George Hirst?

Given Wednesday are receiving £1 mil bids from Leicester, I doubt we would be buying him. Loan possibly but I doubt it.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum