{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:25 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Frontrowhero » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:19 pm

Mirfin sore knee lol. How much better did we look with Pearce at the back, think the whole sore knee might be a nice way to mirfin saying you're dropped. Really good 2nd half good win
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:43 pm

detailed report now on
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:02 pm

player ratings now on
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:07 pm

Angol should have scored, but to award him only a 4 is a bit mean. I would have awarded him 6.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:10 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Angol should have scored, but to award him only a 4 is a bit mean. I would have awarded him 6.

well we debated whether it should be 5 or 4. Maybe 4 slightly harsh. But certainly not a 6 from us anyway.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:22 pm

We all have our own opinions Martin, and people can see things differently. Maybe if he had put the chance away he would have had a better game. Perhaps 5 is the right score.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Nutty Stag » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:34 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Angol should have scored, but to award him only a 4 is a bit mean. I would have awarded him 6.

I agree Andy, the guy clearly put a shift in and he should have scored but Evans and Raynor praised him for his contribution to Rose's goal.

Martin you would normally be the first person to defend a player after a poor performance - how many times did you defend Matt Green last season? The guy was very down at full time and a few were on his back in the IGL. The season is three games old and you are kicking him on his home debut- try using some of that positivity that you reserved for Matt Green.
Nutty Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:38 pm

Got to agree, a 4 is very harsh. He had an average game for me. No more than a 6, but no less either.
Field Mill - The World's Oldest Professional Football Stadium (children not welcome)
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:46 pm

if I had been rating on my own, my score would have been 5. This is a joint rating.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby grufti » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:20 pm

4 for Angol is very harsh - 5.5 would be fair
Up The Stags
grufti
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:24 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:if I had been rating on my own, my score would have been 5. This is a joint rating.

4 is harsh, this is a marking you give someone for costly errors which lead to goals or stupid sending offs.

Angol didn't do anything wrong today he just didn't have a good game.
MTFCMAD
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Frontrowhero » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:30 pm

To award angol 4 today and mirfin 7 last week is a joke. Angol yes wasn't great today, but you can see his potential. Mirfin sorry but I can't see anything and to think he got a a mark 3 points higher than higher than angol. Wow
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:44 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:if I had been rating on my own, my score would have been 5. This is a joint rating.

4 is harsh, this is a marking you give someone for costly errors which lead to goals or stupid sending offs.

Angol didn't do anything wrong today he just didn't have a good game.

fair comment
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:41 pm

Green was definitely not better than Angol was today at any point last season. Can't believe fans are on his back so soon, for god sake give him a break.
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:23 pm

Frontrowhero wrote:To award angol 4 today and mirfin 7 last week is a joke. Angol yes wasn't great today, but you can see his potential. Mirfin sorry but I can't see anything and to think he got a a mark 3 points higher than higher than angol. Wow

Got to agree with that based on the two league games, but to be fair Murfin was 100% better on Tuesday (despite not looking fit)

Giving Angol 4 today is frankly bonkers.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby sw19stag » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:32 pm

Why is giving Angol 4 bonkers?
He had a stinker.
Therefore 4
sw19stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:38 pm

Depends how you define stinker I suppose.

Imo he certainly didn't have a good game, but 4 is incredibly harsh especially of the back of Murfin's over generous 7 last week.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:51 pm

A 4 is the lowest score in Martin's criteria.

Generally six is a poor/ average game.

So as he missed the 1on 1 you could knock a point off, so a 5 is a score that's justified.
We might win against Accrington next time.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:58 pm

regardless of whether the rating is 5 or 4, (and I've already clearly said that if I had been rating on my own, my score would have been 5, but this is a joint rating) ... regardless of that, I thought he was below par.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:14 am

Nutty Stag wrote:

I agree Andy, the guy clearly put a shift in and he should have scored but Evans and Raynor praised him for his contribution to Rose's goal.

Martin you would normally be the first person to defend a player after a poor performance - how many times did you defend Matt Green last season? The guy was very down at full time and a few were on his back in the IGL. The season is three games old and you are kicking him on his home debut- try using some of that positivity that you reserved for Matt Green.

From Part Time Pete's spreadsheet with my ratings from last season, I rated Matt Green lower than a "6" seven times last season.

Of the players who started at least 10 games, only James Baxendale and Scott Shearer had an average lower rating than Matt Green in the average of all my ratings last season.

Your point is not backed up by reality.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Jamie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:36 am

4 was about right, he had one chance, missed it and did nothing else. Evans talked about not closing there defence down first half and it was Angol who wasn't doing the leg work. He did a little more 2nd half but to me just seems to trot about looking disinterested.

Early days and he needs time but he's either lazy or super cocky, neither will be tolerated for long if he doesn't score goals.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:47 am

Dare I say it, he reminds me of John McAliskey
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:51 am

The front two were not great in the first 45 mins and I heard lots of grumbling about desperately needing to sign a striker. I thought Angol did ok for the first 15-20 mins, but following that was ineffective and with his missed chance I would give him a 5. I think he will get better, though I think Evans might give someone else a start on the next game and put Angol on the bench. Rose was a 7 for me as he had an excellent second half until the point he was subbed, but he didn't have a good first half so I can't see how he could be given an 8.

White and Anderson were the standout performers and would get an 8 from me also as they played well for most of the game.
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Johan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:16 pm

No ratings, but here’s my review of individual performances;

Logan was steady enough, had very little to do. Apparently some fans have already decided he’s not good enough and choose to shout loudly about it.

Pearce and Diamond dealt with everything in the air and were needed for little else. White looked impressive going forward. Benning for me was the only player to have a good first half (and my man of the match for that reason). And surely his pass completion rate must be the best at the club?

The midfield contributed towards a scrappy first half, with only the quality of Byrom’s set-pieces being a notable positive. Second half Anderson went up several gears and FGR struggled to deal with him.

Danny Rose put a shift in and got a goal as a reward. Angol didn’t. Of the substitutes, Sterling-James impressed with his close control and pace, there's some scary potential right there.
Johan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum