{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

My team for Sat

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

My team for Sat

Postby lancer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:11 pm

.......................Bobby................

Bennett...............Pearce..............Diamond............Benning

Sterling - James..........Mellis...........Digby.............Anderson

...................Rose..............Angol / new striker (hopefully)
lancer
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: My team for Sat

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:20 pm

I think I agree but struggling to find a place for Atkinson who I think is a very good player.

Also for all the negative comments about mirfin, he looked better tonight and was quite solid.... Pearce looked better though at the side of him
Sedgwick
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby die hirsche » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:22 pm

god we look raspberry up front.

is there any excuse seeing as Evans has had all year (and the money) to sort it out?

maybe less time spent chasing rainbows and a bit more effort getting a realistic target in?
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:23 pm

die hirsche wrote:god we look raspberry up front.

is there any excuse seeing as Evans has had all year (and the money) to sort it out?

maybe less time spent chasing rainbows and a bit more effort getting a realistic target in?

Cheerful Charlie!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:24 pm

blimey, you'd have thought we hadn't scored in 10 games the way you're going on...
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:25 pm

dont get me wrong, some of the football played on Saturday was light years ahead of anything that's been seen for a couple of decades but deary me if rose and angol are supposed to fire us up then it's not happening.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:28 pm

youve got to give them longer than 2 games to write them off really :lol:

and danny rose scored on saturday!! are you mad?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:29 pm

die hirsche wrote:dont get me wrong, some of the football played on Saturday was light years ahead of anything that's been seen for a couple of decades but deary me if rose and angol are supposed to fire us up then it's not happening.

You're right - it's not happening yet, but I think Humpty's boys are going to give some team a right thumping soon. I AM a Cheerful Charlie!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:34 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:i don't think i'm mad but if i was i'd probably think i wasn't as well so who knows?

rose will get 10 or 12 a season and throw himself about a lot, Angol has potential but is far from being accomplished. we're just missing that old head that knows what the score is in league 2.

i don't think i'm mad but if i was i'd probably think i wasn't as well so who knows?

rose will get 10 or 12 a season and throw himself about a lot, Angol has potential but is far from being accomplished. we're just missing that old head that knows what the score is in league 2.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:46 pm

Either keeper,
benning diamond pearce white,
anderson mellis digby CJ
sterling angol
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:50 pm

switching white and benning would definitely be a curve ball.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Forever Optimistic » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:32 pm

Cant wait for Saturday now. Can anyone remember Cooper's last visit to t'mill? :lol:
Something tells me we're into something good
Forever Optimistic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:57 am

Forever Optimistic wrote:Cant wait for Saturday now. Can anyone remember Cooper's last visit to t'mill? :lol:

I don't think FGR will roll over and die like Clownty did. It's not going to be easy and unless we are clinical up front then their 20+ goal season man Doidge could make us cry.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:08 am

die hirsche wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:i don't think i'm mad but if i was i'd probably think i wasn't as well so who knows?

i don't think i'm mad but if i was i'd probably think i wasn't as well so who knows?

Plymouth & Portsmouth both got promoted with players who top scored with 13 goals. Midfield have to contribute to the goals. Once we click we'll be fine.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:52 am

Having seen the majority of the new guys now on Saturday and last night it's clear we are miles ahead of last year already. Last night took me back to this time last year when we played Blackburn at the same stage, changed almost all the team and had CJ stuck upfront. While they made a valiant effort on that night last night we where very unlucky not to win and so my assessment is this.

Diamond and Mirfin got some stick Saturday but I didn't think either had a bad game and personally thought Mirfin was the better of the two. That said the pairing of Pearce and Mirfin looked streets ahead last night and whichever way you cut it Pearce has to be one of the centre backs.

In midfield Digby and Mellis have been impressive but I'm not certain they have the discipline to play together in a midfield 4 and I am a big Byrom so for me he has to start at the moment. Atkinson and Anderson have done well I think Anderson has stood out a bit more the only thing I would say is they are very similar in that neither offers great pace but maybe when MacDonald is back it will be him and one other.

For the forwards think when Angol settles he could be a real star and OSJ was brilliant last night for me. We know what we will get from Rose and he is consistent. Spencer will be the boo boy and very wrongly so because while he won't score 15+ or probably even 10 he does a lot of important work. He has a great touch can see a pass and isn't just a flick on merchant. At some point this season like it or not we will need something different upfront and he can provide that.

A new killer instinct striker would be good but I don't want us spending silly money and I remain very optimistic the current crop will deliver. Already can't wait for Saturday.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:54 am

Good post, surely he wont leave one on Digby or Mellis out though?
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:02 am

die hirsche wrote:god we look raspberry up front.

Just get out there and make Oxford and Kane Hemmings an offer neither can refuse.

No diggity.
There is one formidable adversary that Arsene Wenger has yet to defeat; it's Arsene Wenger's Coat.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:09 am

Jamie wrote:Good post, surely he wont leave one on Digby or Mellis out though?

I can fully understand why people want to see both I just think they are both too forward thinking and you can't really see Anderson or Atkinson helping out if they bomb forward.

I hate 4-5-1 but I think this set of players could be effective with it. Angol up top with Digby, Mellis and Byrom behind could be very dangerous.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:22 am

kcassellsfootygenius wrote:
Jamie wrote:Good post, surely he wont leave one on Digby or Mellis out though?

I can fully understand why people want to see both I just think they are both too forward thinking and you can't really see Anderson or Atkinson helping out if they bomb forward.

I hate 4-5-1 but I think this set of players could be effective with it. Angol up top with Digby, Mellis and Byrom behind could be very dangerous.

Agreed 4-5-1 would be a good fit but cannot see Evans using that at home to be honest, maybe away from home.

I expect the team on Saturday to be the same as the opening game against Crewe, but with Pearce in for Mirfin and Bennett in for White.

My team would be Olejnik, Bennett, Pearce, Diamond, Benning, Byrom, Potter, Mellis, CJ, Rose, Angol.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:05 am

Logan
White, Pearce, Bennett, Benning
Potter, Byrom, Mellis, CJ Hamilton
Rose, Angol
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:18 am

I can see it being

-------Sterling Angol

Anderson Byrom Digby Potter

Benning Diamond Pearce Bennett

----------------Logan

Or instead of potter Mellis playing behind the strikers?
Sedgwick
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:54 pm

Let's just hope we get our new striker before Saturday

Hate to say " i told you so ", as watched nearly all pre season games however we need him in and settled asap
Stevie Evans Barmy Army
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:46 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Let's just hope we get our new striker before Saturday

Hate to say " i told you so ", as watched nearly all pre season games however we need him in and settled asap

How do you know the current crop of strikers aren't settling in? I think they need a little bit of time as a squad. I know we all want that big striker who will "guarantee 20 goals" but I would wait a few more games yet to confirm we don't have enough goals in the team.

Rose IMO will get 15. Enough support round him and the goals shared throughout the team we will be fine. Remember when Burton went up the other year? They won most games 1-0!
Last edited by Foresttownstag on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:56 pm

I think he will play...

Logan
Bennett Diamond Pearce Benning
Atkinson Mellis Byrom Anderson
Rose Angol

Cant see how he cant play Pearce after his performance last night, I personally would play Potter as well.
lifestags
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby James » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:00 pm

Logan

White
Pearce
Diamond
Benning

Potter
Mellis
Byrom
Anderson

Rose
Angol

Gary Roberts coming off the bench to score a late winner.
I've got a Grapefruit matter...
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum