{ the forum }

Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Rochdale scorefred, sponsored by SFL's day off

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Rochdale scorefred, sponsored by SFL's day off

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:52 pm

marker_mtfc95 wrote:I know gonna get slaughtered for this but hey ho, thought Spencer was rubbish tonight.

I thought he had a decent game. He held the ball up well. SE picked him and Digby out for praise in his post match interview. Poor penalty from Danny Rose, won't be taking another according to SE. All the back four played well. I rate Bennett but I wish he would take his thrown ins quicker. You can really sense the frustration from the more experienced players.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:01 pm

Can't see where the Anderson praise is coming from tonight. Good effort against the post, but should have scored when Digby put him through.

They were the only touches he had of note that I can remember.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:03 pm

One thing that hasn't improved, is the quality of set pieces.

Its so frustrating not to threaten from corners/free kicks, I accept conditions weren't good tonight but we should be looking for better quality balls that actually test the opposing defence.
We think the same things at the same time
We just can't do anything about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Beano wrote:One thing that hasn't improved, is the quality of set pieces.

Its so frustrating not to threaten from corners/free kicks, I accept conditions weren't good tonight but we should be looking for better quality balls that actually test the opposing defence.

Wasn't nearly every one of Byrom's assist from last season from a set peice? I swear he had quite a few
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:25 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Wasn't nearly every one of Byrom's assist from last season from a set peice? I swear he had quite a few

Already has one this season too.
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Beano » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:32 pm

Stags 2002 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Already has one this season too.

We must have had a doz corners tonight plus numerous free kicks in "dangerous positions" how many of these did we threaten from?

If we clear the first defender, then a corner is basically a pass to the oppo keeper (it'll be interesting to check the full match video, to see if I'm just a frustrated old bloke, but were pretty toothless from set pieces IMO)
We think the same things at the same time
We just can't do anything about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:19 am

Set pieces are one of our biggest weapons. At some points last season it felt like all our goals came from Byrom's free kicks and corners. The second goal at Crewe was a Byrom free kick. With Pearce, Bennet and the added threats from Diamond, Mirfin, Digby and Spencer, we should continue to be strong in this area.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:33 am

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:06 am

A very very disappointing defeat. It was a great chance to progress to Round 2 and play one of the bigger teams.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:03 am

Amber Andy wrote:
marker_mtfc95 wrote:I know gonna get slaughtered for this but hey ho, thought Spencer was rubbish tonight.

I thought he had a decent game. He held the ball up well. SE picked him and Digby out for praise in his post match interview. Poor penalty from Danny Rose, won't be taking another according to SE. All the back four played well. I rate Bennett but I wish he would take his thrown ins quicker. You can really sense the frustration from the more experienced players.

Still early days but sure will get better with more match time.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:10 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Can't see where the Anderson praise is coming from tonight. Good effort against the post, but should have scored when Digby put him through.

Digby didn't put Anderson through into the box, it was Atkinson... are you sure you know who Anderson is? Haha

He does all the simple things well as that's what we need
Sedgwick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:19 am

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Can't see where the Anderson praise is coming from tonight. Good effort against the post, but should have scored when Digby put him through.

Digby didn't put Anderson through into the box, it was Atkinson... are you sure you know who Anderson is? Haha

I'm absolutely certain it was Digby. He took on a player on the edge of the box, slipped it to the left, to Anderson who was unmarked, his touch was poor, his shot was going wide but the keeper saved it anyway. Check the tape.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:29 am

Sedgwick wrote:

Keep those eyes peeled pal.

Is it any wonder players get praised or slagged unjustly when you can't recognise them? :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:31 am

Not too disappointed about the loss. DR should have done better with the penalty. But this was my first sight of the new players. I was happy with all of them. I think we will do well this season. COYS.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:06 am

from my report:

On 14 minutes, a good move from the Stags, Atkinson to Digby, who slid to Anderson on the left, who got the ball onto his right foot and he shot low towards the near post where the keeper saved. A tame shot in truth from Anderson which was probably going just wide.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:43 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Keep those eyes peeled pal.

Is it any wonder players get praised or slagged unjustly when you can't recognise them? :lol:

ah thought you meant when digby dinked the ball through into the box and atkinson had the shot that went wide in the second half

Its in these highlights
http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... 1-rochdale
Sedgwick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Old timer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:47 am

I think we can take many positives from the games so far. We played well last night in appalling conditions. The pitch was my man of the match though! Money well spent. Will save us having to have games abandoned and postponed. I just hope we can get the ball to Sterling James feet instead of trying to lump it to his head. He's an exciting player to watch.
Old timer
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby adamstag » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:55 am

For someone who couldn't make the game, what I don't quite get is why we'd lump the ball up to forwards given their shortness.

Appreciate the pitch probably wouldn't have induced passing football as you'd like it but maybe keeping the ball better or trying to run with it?
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:00 am

What was apparent tonight and will come as no surprise was the lack of a finisher, all the good approach play counts for nothing unless the ball ends up in the opposition's "Onion Bag".
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:01 am

adamstag wrote:For someone who couldn't make the game, what I don't quite get is why we'd lump the ball up to forwards given their shortness.

Appreciate the pitch probably wouldn't have induced passing football as you'd like it but maybe keeping the ball better or trying to run with it?

We had no time on the ball in midfield, sometimes there were 3 rochdale players round byrom or atkinson and digby... they made it hard to play.
Sedgwick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby withnail » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:13 am

During the commentary Martin started to talk about Paul Broughton's plans for the Bishop Street Stand, but he switched back to the action before he'd finished. I'd be interested to hear what is being suggested.
withnail
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:11 am

yes ok, will do later. I'm just stopped briefly at moment on way home
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:25 am

It would probably be better for the club to do a press release so any plans for the Bishop Street are officially in the public domain.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:46 am

I thought the plan last night was to get the ball forward quickly for the forwards especially OSJ to get in behind their back line. Unfortunately their defence was very good and intercepted nearly all the forward balls.
We might win against Accrington next time.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:48 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:It would probably be better for the club to do a press release so any plans for the Bishop Street are officially in the public domain.

Think we can guess that one day, probably in the next 2-3 years they will at least pull it down and tidy it up.
If we get into league one, they will build something there.

Thought the new advertising, new nets and goals, dugouts and astro around the pitch has already made the ground feel more professional along with a cracking pitch.

Also think the massive scoreboard is done with...
Sedgwick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum