{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Rochdale scorefred, sponsored by SFL's day off

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Rochdale scorefred, sponsored by SFL's day off

Postby my name is jonas » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:08 pm

Sneag wrote:The pitch was brilliant.

Did it hold up alright by the end of the game?
my name is jonas
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Forever Optimistic » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:09 pm

On top most of the game, limited them to a couple of shots. It really is as clear as day now, we need a striker. Poor penalty from Danny. Caught post match interview, SE says he won't be taking the next. Pitch was excellent given the conditions and looks to have stood up well
Something tells me we're into something good
Forever Optimistic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:10 pm

We've assembled a good squad and we are creating chances, more than enough to win tonight, but we need to get another striker in sharpish. Sterling looked dangerous tonight and will play a good part this season but won't be a major goalscorer.

On another note, Pearce is immense at the back.
BH_Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:10 pm

Will we beat forest gump rovers though?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:13 pm

my name is jonas wrote:

If the forwards finished as good the pitch played all night we would have won by 3 or 4 goals
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:14 pm

Forever Optimistic wrote:On top most of the game, limited them to a couple of shots. It really is as clear as day now, we need a striker. Poor penalty from Danny. Caught post match interview, SE says he won't be taking the next. Pitch was excellent given the conditions and looks to have stood up well

Stupid decision,he had only been on 5 mins and hardly had a kick.
daddycool
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Kenwood » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:14 pm

my name is jonas wrote:

Yes a little surface water towards the end but the fact it looked unmarked after the game was amazing really.

The new Astra turf on the edge of the pitch under the west stand also improves the look as well
Kenwood
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Frontrowhero » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:16 pm

BH_Stag wrote:We've assembled a good squad and we are creating chances, more than enough to win tonight, but we need to get another striker in sharpish. Sterling looked dangerous tonight and will play a good part this season but won't be a major goalscorer.

On another note, Pearce is immense at the back.

Thanks for the feedback couldn't make tonight working away, can't say that I'm too disappointed in missing tonight. Don't know why we are so bad in the cups, I genuinely thought tonight we would have a good chance hearing what Raynor said and was hoping to make next round

Looking forward to Saturday, we need a win to kickstart the season. Sounds like Pearce did well! :D
he should be the first name on the team sheet
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:18 pm

Kenwood wrote:
my name is jonas wrote:

Yes a little surface water towards the end but the fact it looked unmarked after the game was amazing really.

The new Astra turf on the edge of the pitch under the west stand also improves the look as well

There was just one little blue pixel illuminated on the scoreboard. That's the best it's been.

The rain must have got into the fourth officials substitute board as the lights went out on one side as soon he raised it aloft!
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:19 pm

Pearce played well, think he will partner Diamond Saturday. Bennett also did well. Mirfin looked more solid.

Digby was very good first half but looked tired second as did the rest of the midfield. Not yet sold on Ando or Atko.

Spencer is not the threat in the air I thought he would be, but is useful when he gets the ball to feet. OSJ was lovely second half, but his decision making shows why he dropped to non-league. He has the raw ingredients to be a success.

From tonight's starting team I think Pearce and Bennett will come in on Saturday, I'm not sure the rest did enough.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:23 pm

I should think Evo is the most frustrated man in Mansfield tonight but I 'm sure he'll use the strikers shortcomings again as leverage.
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby TBS » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:24 pm

Paul Anderson was excellent, he's going to be a real asset to us.
Don`t be fooled by imitation
This is the stuff that cured a nation...
TBS
First Team
First Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:26 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:I should think Evo is the most frustrated man in Mansfield tonight but I 'm sure he'll use the strikers shortcomings again as leverage.

I'm not convinced that this result mattered much to Humpty. He will have moved closer to identifying his best 11. That's my theory, anyway.
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:26 pm

I know gonna get slaughtered for this but hey ho, thought Spencer was rubbish tonight.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:28 pm

Mirfin was really good, very solid but Pearce looked just as good and more mobile.
Atkinson looks a bright player, sometimes slightly ahead of those around him but thats where games together lets things click
Spencer has a very good touch and I'm glad he's not all about flicking it on, he likes to get it down and try to play, thought he had a rough game as they were all over him.
Sterling james looks trouble, got past men on the byline so many times, ball just didn't fall in the right place.
Digby, good for a tall lad, needs to read the game better.
Anderson will be good against league two sides.

Thought we looked a decent side and you could tell they hadn't played together much. Few passes not quite going into feet etc but the ideas are there and so are the chances.

Rochdale looked a decent side, few of their lads would walk into our team. Good game that we could of won
Sedgwick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tawnystag » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:28 pm

TBS wrote:Paul Anderson was excellent, he's going to be a real asset to us.

Agreed. Hard working, plays simple football and will score a few.
Tawnystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:30 pm

marker_mtfc95 wrote:I know gonna get slaughtered for this but hey ho, thought Spencer was rubbish tonight.

Why would you get slaughtered? You're entitled to your opinion.
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:36 pm

Oh well it's par for the course with us in this cup comp, ie out at the first hurdle every time since we've been back.
Dale were nothing really, one shot on goal all game and won.
The lack of a pedigree marksman will cost us.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:37 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
marker_mtfc95 wrote:I know gonna get slaughtered for this but hey ho, thought Spencer was rubbish tonight.

Why would you get slaughtered? You're entitled to your opinion.

Noticed he's got a very good first touch... and he's not league one standard. He'll be useful against some teams in league two when we really have to lump it.
Sedgwick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby tmwilson » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:40 pm

A real shame about the result . I thought we played very well . In my opinion , every player played well . The keeper had no chance with their goal . He looked more assured at crosses than Logan . Back four were sold . I prefer White at R B and Bennett at CB . But Bennett had a decent game .
Digby and Byrom controlled the midfield and . I thought Anderson had a very good game and was unlucky not to score . On another day he could if had a hat trick .
Spencer did well , he held the ball up well and brought others into play . Stiirling James looked good . He could be the find of the season .
A poor penalty by Rose but the best of strikers miss them .
I'm not worried in the slightest , where the goals will come from . We have so many attacking options . I think we are lacking an attacking midfielder who can score goals , but when the team gel more and get stronger , I can see us hammering a few teams .
I think it's the first time in many , many a year that any sub that comes on are more than capable of doing a job .
tmwilson
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Foxy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:41 pm

According to BBC match report we've not got past the first round of the League Cup for 11 years.
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby Wudus stag » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:41 pm

Tawnystag wrote:
TBS wrote:Paul Anderson was excellent, he's going to be a real asset to us.

Agreed. Hard working, plays simple football and will score a few.

You must of been watching a different game to me, he went missing for most of the game and kept trying these first time flicks that didn't work. Know it's early doors but two games in and for me he's been nothing short of average.

Digby was the best player on the pitch tonight along with pearce
Wudus stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:42 pm

Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)
Son Of Sherwood
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:46 pm

tmwilson wrote:A real shame about the result . I thought we played very well . In my opinion , every player played well . The keeper had no chance with their goal . He looked more assured at crosses than Logan . Back four were sold . I prefer White at R B and Bennett at CB . But Bennett had a decent game .
Digby and Byrom controlled the midfield and . I thought Anderson had a very good game and was unlucky not to score . On another day he could if had a hat trick .
Spencer did well , he held the ball up well and brought others into play . Stiirling James looked good . He could be the find of the season .
A poor penalty by Rose but the best of strikers miss them .
I'm not worried in the slightest , where the goals will come from . We have so many attacking options . I think we are lacking an attacking midfielder who can score goals , but when the team gel more and get stronger , I can see us hammering a few teams .
I think it's the first time in many , many a year that any sub that comes on are more than capable of doing a job .

Problem is this sounds like a report from the back end of last season, a tale of poor finishing?
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby 1966Stag » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:47 pm

First time I have seen the new players, like the look of Digby, Atkinson and Anderson, Mirfin looked slow when players were running at him but didn't look fully fit to me so hopefully his pace will improve. Thought Bennet and Pearce looked as good as last year.

We looked dodgy defending balls into our box and pose little threat with balls into opposition box work to do on both.

Conditions were poor, looking forward to October when team should be firing on all cylinders and the weather should be warmer!
1966Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum