{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby pemill » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:31 am

I must admit I wasn't expecting to read that Diamond had such a good game, from where I was sitting he didn't seem to win anything in the air and was part of a very suspect defence. Both goals were crosses into the box which weren't defended, there were many more instances too, Crewe had done there homework and thoroughly exploited this weakness. How the defence can be rated so highly is a mystery to me, had they done there job we would have won comfortably.
The overwhelming consensus of opinion on here and at the match yesterday is the centre backs were poor and the goalkeeper lacked any command of his area.
I hope I'm wrong but it looks like we have 'favourite players' already, in my book it wasn't a team picked on pre-season performances.
pemill
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby tmwilson » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:37 am

pemill wrote:I must admit I wasn't expecting to read that Diamond had such a good game, from where I was sitting he didn't seem to win anything in the air and was part of a very suspect defence. Both goals were crosses into the box which weren't defended, there were many more instances too, Crewe had done there homework and thoroughly exploited this weakness. How the defence can be rated so highly is a mystery to me, had they done there job we would have won comfortably.
The overwhelming consensus of opinion on here and at the match yesterday is the centre backs were poor and the goalkeeper lacked any command of his area.
I hope I'm wrong but it looks like we have 'favourite players' already, in my book it wasn't a team picked on pre-season performances.

You can also look at it that if we had taken more of our chances we would of won . End of the day , it was one of our Cbs that scored and earned us a point . Something , two of our strikers failed to do .
I was more worried about Logan than anyone else .
I agree about the selections and the pre-season form though .
We said in the car beforehand. If we had signed a striker and had a on par with Benning left back , then none of the Murray players would of started .

Very early days yet . Players are still to gel . First game away from home against a decent team , I thought we did very well
tmwilson
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:57 am

Regardless of preseason performance most will have seen the writing on the wall when Diamond and Mirfin signed. They we're brought in to be first choice centre backs, its know their job to keep the shirt.

Personally thought diamond grew into the game and was starting to look really solid, i do have my doubts about mirfin as he just doesn't seem to have any pace about him, a few times players just ran past him.

I thought Mellis looked off the pace before half time, but whatever Evans said at half time worked because he came out a different player and started to pull the strings along with Byrom. Atkinson went missing in the second half.

Mom of the match for me was either Anderson or White both for sheer effort. I also think at times we missed Macdonald on the pitch and can't wait for him to get back fully fit.

For risking the wrath of many im still unsure where all the Danny rose loving comes from, yes he scored but should have scored at least one more (when the ball was played across the face of goal, the net was almost empty but he'd already made his run). He also made a needless foul before half time on the half way line just after their first goal. Still further room for improvement imo.
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:22 am

Agreed people seem to have slightly tinted specs re Rose. He was rubbish in the first half, although not on his own in that respect, and you can always bank on him for a yellow. He missed a tough header at the back post in the first half, a pull back in the second half when he side footed it wide, was clean through on goal and decided to head it straight at the keeper, and was outjumped by Raynes at the back post for the first goal.

He scored a good header and worked hard as usual, and is still our best striker, but he didn't have the flawless game you would have thought from the comments.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Buxoo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:42 am

I was not at the game yesterday but saw the highlights and read all the reviews....... could Logan have at least attempted to move and save the 2 goals? I was not at the game and of course camera angles etc are different.....but could he of at least attempted to save both shots that were the goals??? The second one he just watched it go in and waved a left at it!
Buxoo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby JAMES9002 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:58 am

Logan on the first had anderson on the line and he was in a better position to save/clear it with his head. Not sure on the second as didn't get a good view of it.
JAMES9002
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:03 pm

7 Football League debuts for Stags + 2 more Subs :D

Last edited by KirkbyStag2 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:05 pm

New Captain :D

KirkbyStag2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:13 pm

KirkbyStag2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:17 pm

KirkbyStag2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:19 pm

KirkbyStag2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Frontrowhero » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:07 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Agreed people seem to have slightly tinted specs re Rose. He was rubbish in the first half, although not on his own in that respect, and you can always bank on him for a yellow. He missed a tough header at the back post in the first half, a pull back in the second half when he side footed it wide, was clean through on goal and decided to head it straight at the keeper, and was outjumped by Raynes at the back post for the first goal.

He scored a good header and worked hard as usual, and is still our best striker, but he didn't have the flawless game you would have thought from the comments.

just got back from watching some quality football today in London and come back to read some absolute bull crap, are you for real. get a grip musings, rose gave his all with some quality as well. the only reason we got a point was down to his sheer god damn desire, I just wish the rest had the same desire and quality
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby sw19stag » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:13 pm

Musings is spot on.
sw19stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Frontrowhero » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:15 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Agreed people seem to have slightly tinted specs re Rose. He was rubbish in the first half, although not on his own in that respect, and you can always bank on him for a yellow. He missed a tough header at the back post in the first half, a pull back in the second half when he side footed it wide, was clean through on goal and decided to head it straight at the keeper, and was outjumped by Raynes at the back post for the first goal.

cant wait for danny rose to put you in your place, stags fans love him and he was our mom by a clear mile Saturday
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Frontrowhero » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:19 pm

sw19stag wrote:Musings is spot on.

:lol: :lol: :lol: no he's not sw19. diamond mom :lol: you clearly did not go to crewe. danny rose is our on the pitch leader when pearce is not in the side
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:49 am

Danny Rose missed some chances, but his effort and determination (as usual) could not be faulted....he got in those positions because he's a workhorse and that's what he does.
Yes he could have done better with a couple of chances, but that's no different to last season where we missed bucket loads.....it's the reason why we need a clinical finisher to kill games off still.

Angol for me was a massive disappointment if you're looking at strikers, I expected so much more after his excellent pre-season. In the first half I thought his boots were coated in teflon, he couldn't hold onto anything. Second half after what seemed like the whole team had a half time rollocking, we upped the tempo and he had a good shot saved. After that he faded again, and I wasn't surprised to see him subbed off for Sterling-James who did more in his short stint on the field than Angol did in his long one.
However, Angol will come good, think he had an off day.....he's shown us his quality in spells already.

Logan scares me to death, I have no confidence in him, and clearly neither do his centre halves.

Mirfin was the worst player on the pitch if you take away his goal. Lost every challenge in the air, his positioning was suspect, and he played a poor underhit pass that put us in trouble in the first half too.
I still think he's suffering from a hampered pre-season which was down to that virus he had.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:28 am

Frontrowhero wrote:

cant wait for danny rose to put you in your place, stags fans love him and he was our mom by a clear mile Saturday

Can you actually read? I have said he scored a goal, worked hard and is our best striker, but that he missed two really good chances to win that game.

What's your problem?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:11 pm

Listening to Radio Stoke on the way home, Dave Artell referred to Crewe "coming back" inferring they were losing 1-2, which I thought was strange, then one of the callers also referred to Crewe "coming from behind" and how that wouldn't have happened last season :?:

I thought I may have misinterpreted what they said as I was driving, but a crewe fan has commented on this on the Crewe Mad site.

Strange!

KirkbyStag2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Frontrowhero » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:59 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Frontrowhero wrote:

Can you actually read? I have said he scored a goal, worked hard and is our best striker, but that he missed two really good chances to win that game.

What's your problem?

I can read just fine, the problem I have is quite a few people blowing sunshine up certain new players backsides. Diamond was not class, Mirfin was poor

What narks me is that Pearce has been quality for 2 years and shouldn't have been dropped, diamond and mirfin have done nothing pre season to say that they should have started above him. Is Bennett injured?. Stop the love in with diamond, Steve has set the bar high and expects a certain level of performance. it's ok coming in with a great cv played league 1, championship, etc means nothing shouldn't be selected based on past history. The need to show it in pre season, earn pearce's spot. Don't just give it to them, if I was Pearce I would be seething. I just hope he comes out next game and shows you and diamond what a class performance is
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:08 pm

calm down guys it's only the first game of the season :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:52 am

I cant believe we let Porter drift onto Benning for the 2nd goal.
One of the centre halfs should have been on him.
I think Mirfin was dragged out by Dagnall and Diamond was ball watching.
I would expect 1 centre half to to be touch tight to Porter when crewe were attacking out wide.
He was always gonna beat Benning in the air.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:15 am

It's division 4 gents. If any of the defence didn't make mistake
Or any of the strikers didn't take every chance
They wouldn't be playing for us ; )
That's entertainment.
The odd game we gel and win is hopefully the next games we play.
I think we will win more than we lose this season and that's a massive bonus.
chip63
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sheffieldstag » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:39 am

Wow, such madness on here. It's like we got tonked 7 nil or something?! It's the first proper game with a nearly new squad, give them some time to gel and build partnerships.

The only thing I agree with here is that Pearce should start over Murfin (as maybe not fit yet) and although Logan didn't seem to do much wrong against Crewe and made some crucial saves, otherwise we would have lost, I would have started with Olejnik.

But, role on Rochdale tonight
Sheffieldstag
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:41 am

Frontrowhero wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Frontrowhero wrote:

What's your problem?

I can read just fine, the problem I have is quite a few people blowing sunshine up certain new players backsides. Diamond was not class, Mirfin was poor

What narks me is that Pearce has been quality for 2 years and shouldn't have been dropped, diamond and mirfin have done nothing pre season to say that they should have started above him. Is Bennett injured?. Stop the love in with diamond, Steve has set the bar high and expects a certain level of performance. it's ok coming in with a great cv played league 1, championship, etc means nothing shouldn't be selected based on past history. The need to show it in pre season, earn pearce's spot. Don't just give it to them, if I was Pearce I would be seething. I just hope he comes out next game and shows you and diamond what a class performance is

At least I know to avoid sitting on the front row if you're there rambling on. I bet you're one of those who stands at the front rollocking the players and management every time they make a mistake like a sad act because 'you used to play the game'.

Yes Bennett was injured. You seem to be under the impression that I have something against Bennett and Pearce just because I said Diamond had a good game.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum