{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:24 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Frontrowhero » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:41 pm

These ratings must be a joke, how can two of our defenders be our mom? I drove today!

Danny Rose was mom by far
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby wink68 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:38 pm

Must of watched a different game to me. White pushed Benning for MOM. Diamond average Mirfin poor. Neither helped by a well dodgy keeper.
wink68
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:39 pm

Frontrowhero wrote:These ratings must be a joke, how can two of our defenders be our mom? I drove today!

you're entitled to your opinion. I saw your comments on other threads.

Diamond didn't put a foot wrong really. Please give me specific examples of incidents where he did something wrong, in fact anything wrong.

Benning was very good going forward, and made some fine tackles and interceptions at the back, especially in the first half which I noted in the report. And he put in a fine cross for the goal, and another for Rose's first half header.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:43 pm

Mirfin 7 White 6.5?

Someone's been at the sherry. :lol:
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Frontrowhero » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:52 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Frontrowhero wrote:These ratings must be a joke, how can two of our defenders be our mom? I drove today!

Diamond didn't put a foot wrong really. Please give me specific examples of incidents where he did something wrong, in fact anything wrong.

Benning was very good going forward, and made some fine tackles and interceptions at the back, especially in the first half which I noted in the report. And he put in a fine cross for the goal, and another for Rose's first half header.

Every time Crewe went forward they looked a threat, every cross they won, Every corner they looked like scoring. diamond was part of a defence that was poor today, yes benning did a good cross for the goal and tackle back. Overall they were poor as a unit cost us the game, let's not kid ourselves and say they did well, we all know where the game was lost. It was our poor defence, can't believe some think they had mom performances.

Pearce and Bennett back next game with a point to prove, that's what is good with the squad steve has assembled. Poor performance and you will dropped, play well and you will keep your place
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Frontrowhero » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:54 pm

Sneag wrote:Mirfin 7 White 6.5?

Someone's been at the sherry. :lol:

Nearly fell off my chair when I got home and saw these ratings, did make me laugh :lol:
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:57 pm

Frontrowhero wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Every time Crewe went forward they looked a threat, every cross they won, Every corner they looked like scoring. diamond was part of a defence that was poor today, yes benning did a good cross for the goal and tackle back. Overall they were poor as a unit cost us the game, let's not kid ourselves and say they did well, we all know where the game was lost. It was our poor defence, can't believe some think they had mom performances.

Pearce and Bennett back next game with a point to prove, that's what is good with the squad steve has assembled. Poor performance and you will dropped, play well and you will keep your place

I think Diamond won most of his headers. Mirfin was beaten for the 1st goal as I described in the report.

You haven't picked out a single incident where Diamond was at fault, just wiffly waffly nonsense about being part of the defence.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby wink68 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:59 pm

Diamond won his headers from long balls outside the box. But when the ball was put in our box in the air the keeper was glued to his line or not very convincingly punched and the centre halves were beaten to the headers far too often.
wink68
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Frontrowhero » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:02 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Frontrowhero wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

I think Diamond won most of his headers. Mirfin was beaten for the 1st goal as I described in the report.

You haven't picked out a single incident where Diamond was at fault, just wiffly waffly nonsense about being part of the defence.

I can't be bothered to list every incident where he was poor, any fan who understands football knows it was the defence that cost us today Martin and diamond was part of a poor defence. If you want me to list every time he was gash, I will do it Sunday afternoon when I have nothing to do
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:09 pm

Frontrowhero wrote:I can't be bothered to list every incident where he was poor, any fan who understands football knows it was the defence that cost us today Martin and diamond was part of a poor defence. If you want me to list every time he was gash, I will do it Sunday afternoon when I have nothing to do

Love the attempted put-down.

Both goals could have been better defended, Mirfin especially for the first, Benning for the second. That does not mean that Diamond was at fault.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:10 pm

wink68 wrote:Diamond won his headers from long balls outside the box. But when the ball was put in our box in the air the keeper was glued to his line or not very convincingly punched and the centre halves were beaten to the headers far too often.

I don't think Diamond was beaten from balls into the box.

The keeper was on his line for both goals. But where should he have been? For the first goal, should he come for the ball from the corner? If he does, he can't get anywhere near that as it's well beyond the far post, and then he can't possibly react to get out for the second ball and get that either. So for me, he is not at fault there. For the second goal, the header is at the near post from 7 yards out from a relatively low cross. I don't think he can get to that either. So I don't agree that Logan is at fault for either goal.

It's very easy to automatically blame a keeper.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Frontrowhero » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:22 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Frontrowhero wrote:I can't be bothered to list every incident where he was poor, any fan who understands football knows it was the defence that cost us today Martin and diamond was part of a poor defence. If you want me to list every time he was gash, I will do it Sunday afternoon when I have nothing to do

Love the attempted put-down.

Both goals could have been better defended, Mirfin especially for the first, Benning for the second. That does not mean that Diamond was at fault.

When you've played football you understand you defend as a unit not as a player. Don't get patronising with me, I'm just giving my opinion not my fault you don't like it and you know I'm right deep down

Benning, Bennett, Pearce, white played together regularly last season and have proven track record as a solid unit that keep clean sheets. Pearce my player of the season last year. drop them for diamond and mirfin and add a new keeper. You can see that they have not played together and they looked awful today and cost us the game, you made diamond mom and made an error, that's fine everyone does it look at mirfin today :lol: Admit you made an error and give mom to Danny Rose
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:34 pm

Frontrowhero wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Frontrowhero wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

I can't be bothered to list every incident where he was poor, any fan who understands football knows it was the defence that cost us today Martin and diamond was part of a poor defence. [b]If you want me to list every time he was gash, I will do it Sunday afternoon when I have nothing to do[\b]

Looking forward to this, please stay true to your word. It will be a very short list.

'When you've played football'. You just have been really good, you're the person patronising, who can't back up his opinions with facts.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:37 pm

Frontrowhero wrote:When you've played football you understand you defend as a unit not as a player. Don't get patronising with me, I'm just giving my opinion not my fault you don't like it and you know I'm right deep down

Benning, Bennett, Pearce, white played together regularly last season and have proven track record as a solid unit that keep clean sheets. Pearce my player of the season last year. drop them for diamond and mirfin and add a new keeper. You can see that they have not played together and they looked awful today and cost us the game, you made diamond mom and made an error, that's fine everyone does it look at mirfin today :lol: Admit you made an error and give mom to Danny Rose

you're the one who wrote "any fan who understands football", and "When you've played football you understand", and you accuse me of being patronising :lol: :lol:
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Frontrowhero » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:46 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Frontrowhero wrote:When you've played football you understand you defend as a unit not as a player. Don't get patronising with me, I'm just giving my opinion not my fault you don't like it and you know I'm right deep down

you're the one who wrote "any fan who understands football", and "When you've played football you understand", and you accuse me of being patronising :lol: :lol:

Not my fault you have got it wrong, 99% of fans who attended today's game would have Danny Rose as mom and all our defence at 6-7s. Pearce in for mirfin next game
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby tmwilson » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:05 pm

Rose was my motm . I don't agree with the slating Diamond has gone . I can't recall him getting beat once in the air . Mirfin did ok . Nothing special . . I would of liked to see Pearce start with Diamond .
Angol and Rose played well together . Overall , I think it was a good performance .
tmwilson
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby tibby » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:11 pm

Can we all stop the slating

Martin has an opinion, just like we all have. His is obviously different to a lot of others (and mine as it happens) but he is allowed an opinion.

I too thought Mirfin was poor and often looked a yard of the pace and a few feet out of position. When I watched him closely he did seem to be limping slightly all game. But it is early days, the team will get better.

A major positive is we have a lot players who look very comfortable on the ball. Something we haven't been blessed with for a long time.
tibby
First Team
First Team

Postby Tawnystag » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:21 pm

The central pairing didn't inspire me with confidence today, and it's an opinion shared by most both. Mirfin looked sluggish and Diamond didn't particularly inspire with the armband on. But we need to give this team time to bed in, I'm sure SE will make the changes if things aren't working out and we are conceding too many.
Tawnystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:24 pm

My Men of the Match were Hayden White and Danny Rose closely followed by Joel Byrom and Zander Diamond.

Hayden White looks great when he is galloping forward. He could be the best attacking right back in League 2 and could play at a higher level. Danny Rose worked his socks off. He had no service first half and then started winning everything in the second half. I would have left him on. Joel Byrom was easily our best midfield player.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby G B » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:25 pm

Frontrowhero wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Not my fault you have got it wrong, 99% of fans who attended today's game would have Danny Rose as mom and all our defence at 6-7s. Pearce in for mirfin next game

On holiday in France so couldn't get today. However reading the above as a neutral, why is Martin not allowed his opinion without you insisting he's wrong? I don't think he's actually accused you of anything being your fault!? He's dared to have a difference of opinion and in return has been subjected to patronising, self righteous replies. Even if you don't agree with his view on this , I think Martin deserves a bit more respect.
G B
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby part time pete » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:29 pm

I thought the changing point in the game was when Mellis got injured. Up to that point we controlled midfield and they never got anywhere near our goal.

After the Mellis knock, he was never the same.
Will we ever let in another goal with Pearce at centre back.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:42 pm

part time pete wrote:I thought the changing point in the game was when Mellis got injured. Up to that point we controlled midfield and they never got anywhere near our goal.

After the Mellis knock, he was never the same.

fair comment. Mellis was certainly not the player he was in the last few pre-season games.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby chip63 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:51 am

12 weeks talking about the weather in a pub changed tonight and on here.
I didn't go didn't hear but loving the opinions.
Martin has belief and doesn't want to call any player first game and very understandable.
Some went and have every right on thier opinion.
Me just reading and glad we didn't lose glad we scored 2 away from home and glad we have virtually
Another team to put in.
Unbeaten all season ; )
Coys
chip63
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Frontrowhero » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:51 am

chip63 wrote:12 weeks talking about the weather in a pub changed tonight and on here.
I didn't go didn't hear but loving the opinions.
Martin has belief and doesn't want to call any player first game and very understandable.
Some went and have every right on thier opinion.
Me just reading and glad we didn't lose glad we scored 2 away from home and glad we have virtually
Another team to put in.
Unbeaten all season ; )
Coys

Lots of positives from yesterday chip and it's good news we have 3 very good centre backs chomping on the bit to get in the side
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum