{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

If it's not broke, don't fix it

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: If it's not broke, don't fix it

Postby Admiral Sook » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:06 pm

We need to 'get with the programme' asap.
At the back end of last season we played all the teams gunning for promotion. That seems to have continued into this season as our early fixtures seem to have paired us with teams that are fancied or have done well after week 1.
Admiral Sook
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:08 pm

Chris M wrote:Bennett must be gutted after playing every minute of every game last season.

see my report for explanation from Evans. He would have played.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:44 pm

Would Bennett have played right back or centre half though?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:49 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Would Bennett have played right back or centre half though?

RB, where he played through pre-season
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:34 am

For me Bennett is a better centre half than a right back.

Hayden White was the main culprit in the dying minutes though for why Crewe could have nicked it. All of those balls into the box that we struggled to deal with, came in from that side. He'd gone so far up the pitch on occasions when we had the ball too, that there was only CJ and OS-J ahead of him......so he had acres to make up and get back when Crewe broke away.

I think Bennett gives us greater defensive traits at right back than White definitely, but he's still a better centre half.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:55 am

Having watched the goals again my main question on the second goal is why is that cross coming in in the first place? Atkinson should be blocking that.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:30 am

Agreed Bennett is a better centre half than right back, however I think I would still have him over White at RB at present. White's positioning and are awareness let him down at times and it's only his fantastic pace which gets him out of trouble. Luckily positioning is something that can be coached and he should improve.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:03 am

I had Bennett ahead of White at rb in my team for Crewe, based on defending in preseason, where White had had a few lapses. Evans told me he would have selected Bennett had he been 100%. If the next game was a league game, I would expect Evans to bring Bennett in for White. Evans will obviously make some changes anyway for the Rochdale game
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:15 am

Whilst it's a headache and every man and his dog will have an opinion on which 2 to play, having 5 quality / proven centre backs to choose from is an amazing position to be in!!!
Birminghamstag10
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:36 am

Hayden White was one of my MOMs at Crewe along with Danny Rose. I would sooner have him playing right back and Rhys Bennett at centre half.

I agree with Rob though that Hayden White did get caught out by going too far up the pitch for the last ten minutes. Benning did the same earlier in the game. However I love to see us with attacking full backs. They are great to watch.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Grendon Stag » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:24 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Hayden White was one of my MOMs at Crewe along with Danny Rose. I would sooner have him playing right back and Rhys Bennett at centre half.

I agree with Rob though that Hayden White did get caught out by going too far up the pitch for the last ten minutes. Benning did the same earlier in the game. However I love to see us with attacking full backs. They are great to watch.

Correct! On last seasons performances he is the best centre back at the club
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jimstag » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:36 am

The White debate is an interesting one, if we're using the current setup I'd go for white as we're reliant on the left and right backs to give us the width. If we had Macdonald/Potter/Hamilton on the pitch this might be different. White is better going forward than Bennett but I rate Bennett better as a defender and I agree Bennett is better at centre back than right back.

The Benning versus Hunt debate will be similar, I prefer Benning in an attacking sense but Hunt looks more stable defending. If we're on the attack trying to break teams down White and Benning would be my choice depending on the choice of wingers.
Jimstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Vice President » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:16 pm

Jimstag wrote:The White debate is an interesting one, if we're using the current setup I'd go for white as we're reliant on the left and right backs to give us the width. If we had Macdonald/Potter/Hamilton on the pitch this might be different. White is better going forward than Bennett but I rate Bennett better as a defender and I agree Bennett is better at centre back than right back.

The Benning versus Hunt debate will be similar, I prefer Benning in an attacking sense but Hunt looks more stable defending. If we're on the attack trying to break teams down White and Benning would be my choice depending on the choice of wingers.

We have wingers in the squad. Maybe we should play Bennett & Hunt at full back (stronger defence) and use our wingers more (stronger attack)?
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:16 pm

Mirfin was one we thought would be one of the solid ones for us and with Diamond the defence was more a or less sorted.
Its early days but Mirfin so far not quite up to the big billing expected and I think one of Pearce Taft and Bennett will be looking for a place if he can't step up.
U get the feeling Evans likes his chosen men so far but hopefully he will not keep them on if they don't perform.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:07 pm

He likes his chosen men ....

We've played one game... :roll:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:17 pm

You've got to have sympathy for Pearce and Bennett. They were immense last season; a model of consistency and as solid as anything we've had in the heart of defence for years.

Personally, I'd have built the team around our rock solid defence, however, Evans is the gaffer and will live or die by these types of decisions. One thing I won't do is slaughter Mirfin and Diamond; they've years of consistency themselves and to be written off so soon would be daft and premature.

What I don't agree with is the fact that the shirts should have been Pearce and Bennett's to lose through lack of performance; yet they've lost them despite being superb, which is incredibly harsh.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:53 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:You've got to have sympathy for Pearce and Bennett. They were immense last season; a model of consistency and as solid as anything we've had in the heart of defence for years.

Personally, I'd have built the team around our rock solid defence, however, Evans is the gaffer and will live or die by these types of decisions. One thing I won't do is slaughter Mirfin and Diamond; they've years of consistency themselves and to be written off so soon would be daft and premature.

What I don't agree with is the fact that the shirts should have been Pearce and Bennett's to lose through lack of performance; yet they've lost them despite being superb, which is incredibly harsh.

Good post ! Fully agree
a stag is a proud & noble beast
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:04 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:You've got to have sympathy for Pearce and Bennett. They were immense last season; a model of consistency and as solid as anything we've had in the heart of defence for years.

I agree Doomy. Although I can see why Steve Evans bought Diamond & Mirfin - They had the pedigree to make us a bit more water-tight. I just hope that Evans isn't biased in his selection and chooses the right combination of defenders ASAP.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:23 pm

in case you missed it, Bennett would have played on Saturday but for his earlier injury
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:31 pm

I had missed that Martin. My fault for not reading everything. However, I'd never have Bennett at full back over White.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:32 pm

Pearce and Bennett should both be played when available imo.

If they started to not impress the options for back up is top notch.
Conker
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:42 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:I had missed that Martin. My fault for not reading everything. However, I'd never have Bennett at full back over White.

there's only one thing you need to read Doomy :D
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bros » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:14 pm

What worries me is the thought that our current centre backs have been got to have an absolute mare before Pearce/Bennett/Taft get their chance
Bros
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:18 pm

Players get injured too, and now we have players who are just as good to step into their place!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby stags4eva » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:34 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

in case you missed it, Bennett would have played on Saturday but for his earlier injury

Excellent post couldn't agree more. Pearce must be the unluckiest man in the football league!

And Martin, do you honestly beleive everything Evans/Raynor say to the press or yourself? I know I don't. Surely with the size of our squad if Bennett wasn't deemed fit to start he wouldn't have been risked on the bench either?
stags4eva
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum