{ the forum }

Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

If it's not broke, don't fix it

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

If it's not broke, don't fix it

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:26 pm

.....in reference to our defence.

I know they've come from a higher level, and Evans tends to show a favourable bias towards "his" signings, but going off of last season, pre-season, and that game today, Pearce and Bennett are the best centre halves we have ahead of Diamond and Mirfin.

We looked a shambles at times every time the ball went in the box.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Re: If it's not broke, don't fix it

Postby Jimstag » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:32 pm

It's all about the partnership and the best two individuals might not make the best pairing. Maybe it will develop over time but our trouble with the high ball concerns me.
Jimstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby pemill » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:36 pm

Correct, not just today but all preseason when Diamond has played.
pemill
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:36 pm

Jimstag wrote:It's all about the partnership and the best two individuals might not make the best pairing. Maybe it will develop over time but our trouble with the high ball concerns me.
Early days yet. Maybe Pearce and Bennett will get a chance against Rochdale. At least Mirfin scored for us.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:38 pm

Diamond was really good, can anyone point out what he did wrong? Mirfin and Logan at fault for the goals, we look very vulnerable to balls into the box.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:39 pm

I think they'll come good, they didn't play in good sides in league one for no reason.

I still believe Taft is the best Centre back and was surprised he was left out

Benning lost out for the second headed goal, thought Diamond had a good game.

Think Olejnik is the better keeper too.
Sedgwick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:56 pm

I didn't think Diamond played terrible, Mirfin did apart from the goal.

I'm just saying we've gone from a back four that kept the most clean sheets since the turn of the year, to a team that looks like it's going to have to go back to the Andy King days of "We'll score one more than you."
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:59 pm

worth pointing out its only been 1 game.....
Sedgwick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby robbingdog » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:01 pm

Give them chance to get going, can't judge them on one showing
robbingdog
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Frontrowhero » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:09 pm

What worried me was that it wasn't an odd cross from a free kick or corner. It was every single ball into the box Crewe looked like scoring, Logan doesn't want to come off his line and mirfin/diamond look like they are doing some sort of limbo contest rather than getting up and making a header. Massive improvement needed Crewe could have easily had another 2 goals last 10 mins due to our poor defending. Thankfully we look good going forward
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:11 pm

It's one league game yes, but also taking into consideration that they've been off it pre-season too, whereas the "old guard" havn't put a foot wrong, which is a continuation of their form last season......

Evans claims if you perform you keep the shirt.

For me if that was the case, I was surprised that any of last season's three weren't in the starting line-up.

Also I agree Olejnik is better than Logan. The back four didn't have any understanding with Logan whatsoever when he was indecisive about coming out for the ball.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby grufti » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:14 pm

we struggled with balls into the box, and I'd like to see Taft play, but it's 1 game against one of the best striking partnerships in the division - CALM DOWN
Up The Stags
grufti
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Herts Stag » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:36 pm

I thought Diamond had a good game it was Mirfin's lack of abilty in the air that worries me and Logan's lack of command of that 6 yard box. I now its one game but on that display Krystian Pearce must be wondering what he's done wrong. Pearce has never let us down and was my player of the year along with most fans. Come on SE surely you can see that he more than deserves his place.
Herts Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:36 pm

grufti wrote:we struggled with balls into the box, and I'd like to see Taft play, but it's 1 game against one of the best striking partnerships in the division - CALM DOWN

Hahahahaha.
MTFCMAD
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:27 am

I think that with our next game being a cup match anyway, Evans might as well pick the back four of old and stick Olejnik inbetween the sticks.

If it shows a considerable improvement like we all think it should do, then just like last season with the Checkatrade games, they will earn their spot in the team for the league fixture.

Nothing to lose in trying it out, we aren't favourites to progress anyway.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:46 am

The defence was good last season, but Steve Evans believed he could make it even better. On paper Diamond & Mirfin were good signings. But neither look as good as Pearce right now. There are some doubts about Mirfin & Logan at the moment. I would like to see Olejnik in goal with Diamond & Pearce for the Forest Green game. Maybe play them together in the cup game to give them a chance to gel.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:56 am

Not playing Pearce was a mistake, sure Evans knows that.
Conker
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:45 pm

I'm not sure he does. My guess is that Evans thinks Pearce tries to do too much on occasions. He has a habit of getting caught in possession. Both Diamond and Mirfin are happy to hoof it away. Much more up Evans' street.

It would be Pearce and Diamond/Bennett for me but there is no way Evans is going to drop one of his signings after one game. It was on the cards as soon as they'd signed that he wanted to shoe them in. I'd actually be more worried now if he started swapping centre halves about. If they are his chosen pair he needs to give them a chance to form a partnership. If he starts chopping and changing every time someone has a below par game we're never going to get going.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:53 pm

Coudn't get yesterday so cant comment on that, but there were certainly times in second half of season at home last season when average balls into the box wern't dealt with by Pearce/Taft/ Bennett.
We dont seem to have that real commanding centre half who wins every 50/50.
victor A block
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Most fans want KP back in the heart of the defence. He is also goal threat from set plays.

Diamond a Pearce will be a great pairing.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby cerfjaune » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:01 pm

victor A block wrote:Coudn't get yesterday so cant comment on that, but there were certainly times in second half of season at home last season when average balls into the box wern't dealt with by Pearce/Taft/ Bennett.

Couldn't agree with you more. Over our last 10 games last season the fans' favourite pairing didn't come up with that many clean sheets that I can remember, although I stand to be corrected.
cerfjaune
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:55 pm

cerfjaune wrote:
victor A block wrote:Coudn't get yesterday so cant comment on that, but there were certainly times in second half of season at home last season when average balls into the box wern't dealt with by Pearce/Taft/ Bennett.

Couldn't agree with you more. Over our last 10 games last season the fans' favourite pairing didn't come up with that many clean sheets that I can remember, although I stand to be corrected.

We had the most clean sheets since the 1st Jan until the end of the season in the whole of League 2 I believe :shock:
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Chris M » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:38 pm

Bennett must be gutted after playing every minute of every game last season.
Chris M
First Team
First Team

Postby victor A block » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Chris M wrote:Bennett must be gutted after playing every minute of every game last season.

Dont think he was fully fit for yesterday.
victor A block
First Team
First Team

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:30 pm

I didn't think either had a bad game personally I thought Mirfin was better but thought Diamond grew into the game.

My only point would be they are very similar in playing style I think if a change is made it should be one or the other with a player who will attack the ball.

All that considered its one game and the second goal could have happened to anyone after the cross was allowed in.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum