{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

If it's not broke, don't fix it

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: If it's not broke, don't fix it

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:41 pm

stags4eva wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:You've got to have sympathy for Pearce and Bennett. They were immense last season; a model of consistency and as solid as anything we've had in the heart of defence for years.

Personally, I'd have built the team around our rock solid defence, however, Evans is the gaffer and will live or die by these types of decisions. One thing I won't do is slaughter Mirfin and Diamond; they've years of consistency themselves and to be written off so soon would be daft and premature.

What I don't agree with is the fact that the shirts should have been Pearce and Bennett's to lose through lack of performance; yet they've lost them despite being superb, which is incredibly harsh.

in case you missed it, Bennett would have played on Saturday but for his earlier injury

Excellent post couldn't agree more. Pearce must be the unluckiest man in the football league!

And Martin, do you honestly beleive everything Evans/Raynor say to the press or yourself? I know I don't. Surely with the size of our squad if Bennett wasn't deemed fit to start he wouldn't have been risked on the bench either?

I think there are often cases where a player is not deemed fit or sharp enough to start, but is deemed fit enough for the bench. In this case there was not anyone else who would be backup for White.

I can't see any reason why he would make that bit up quite honestly. I was just discussing the team selection with him and he offered that nugget, along with Potter and Digby. That's not to say I believe everything he says.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby stags4eva » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:56 pm

Fair enough.

As i said previous Pearce is so unlucky he's been class for two seasons if i was him i would be well cheesed off!
stags4eva
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:22 pm

stags4eva wrote:Fair enough.

As i said previous Pearce is so unlucky he's been class for two seasons if i was him i would be well cheesed off!

I had him in my starting XI for the game. As I did Bennett.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:58 pm

in today's video interview on iFollow, Raynor says "we erred on the side of caution on Rhys, but he's in contention for starting tomorrow night"
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:24 am

What did he say about Digby and Potter ?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:43 am

Digby ill, Potter would have started if it was a home game.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:38 pm

Surely there must be someone other 'selection conspiracy' we can find!?!?!? ;)

I agree it's puzzling, but it's one game so far. If after a handful of games we're still leaking like Ethel's knickers at a Ken Dodd concert then i guess we should be really concerned. Stags often start a season slowly, but i'm probably being too lackadaisical by not worrying just yet
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:01 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Digby ill, Potter would have started if it was a home game.

Why? Is he tagged?
victor A block
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:11 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:Surely there must be someone other 'selection conspiracy' we can find!?!?!? ;)

I agree it's puzzling, but it's one game so far. If after a handful of games we're still leaking like Ethel's knickers at a Ken Dodd concert then i guess we should be really concerned. Stags often start a season slowly, but i'm probably being too lackadaisical by not worrying just yet

Not puzzling bud, just wrong. Pearce rightly was player of the year last season and as someone has said above the shirt was his to lose, well should have been. He remains the best centre half at the club and Evans is being unfair to the player not to select him. I suspect as we continue to concede Evans will correct his error.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:34 pm

It doesn't matter what a few fans think, its Evans sqaud and his problem to pick the right team. All the years on here for Pearce are a bit ott. We signed two great CBs but like all players will need time.

To suggest Pearce is our best centre back having seen the new lads play one competitive game is just daft.

Evans being unfair, please. Dry ya eyes Rob and let him worry about who plays.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum