{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

ifollow

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: ifollow

Postby one f in mansfield » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:48 pm

Tawnystag wrote:Huge delay on iFollow makes it essentially useless if you wanted to listen to commentary whilst at the game.

Do people really listen to commentary at games ? . Do you not talk to the people around you . We offer our opinions on who is about to be substituted , man of the match , tactics , tackles ,refs decisions , offsides, scoreboard, Evans , pies, why one player is better than another , which pairings would defend best or score most , travel arrangements for next game , time of substitutions, this seasons squad compared to last seasons and a couple of dozen other subjects every game .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
User avatar
one f in mansfield
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1354
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: ifollow

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:49 pm

Bradders wrote:Nice and clear tonight, although it does cut out every few minutes and has to be nudged.

it shouldn't. My recording tonight didn't. It depends upon your broadband connection.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14750
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: ifollow

Postby Tawnystag » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:00 am

one f in mansfield wrote:
Tawnystag wrote:Huge delay on iFollow makes it essentially useless if you wanted to listen to commentary whilst at the game.

Do people really listen to commentary at games ? . Do you not talk to the people around you . We offer our opinions on who is about to be substituted , man of the match , tactics , tackles ,refs decisions , offsides, scoreboard, Evans , pies, why one player is better than another , which pairings would defend best or score most , travel arrangements for next game , time of substitutions, this seasons squad compared to last seasons and a couple of dozen other subjects every game .


Sounds idyllic. Most of the people around me last night were calling our players 'c*nts', telling them to break the oppositions legs and disappearing off to smash lager into their faces every 15 minutes. Hence the desire to drown it out.
Tawnystag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Re: ifollow

Postby Spiritater » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:24 pm

The One wrote:[*]
Tawnystag wrote:Huge delay on iFollow makes it essentially useless if you wanted to listen to commentary whilst at the game.


Break open piggy bank spiro and spend it in Spoons. This ifollow gone pear shaped :D



It'll all end in tears bud. Someone'll hack the site soon and hold all the punters to ransom. :lol:
All this fiddling about with this app and that app. This browser and that browser, ULR's n stuff all too technical for me.
Anyway I suppose I'll have to get used to it now with none of the local radio stations caring enough to even give us decent updates (the new chap on t'Beeb is absolutely Ross Dyer btw) anymore.

It'd really rub salt into this running sore if we got to the Championship and we had to make do with updates when playing at somewhere like Aston Villa into Clownty's game away to Accy Stan or FGR. How sad would that be from the Beeb. Hopefully the club will have washed it's hands of Radio Florist 2 by then.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 16150
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: ifollow

Postby stuhall1973 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:17 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Bradders wrote:Nice and clear tonight, although it does cut out every few minutes and has to be nudged.

it shouldn't. My recording tonight didn't. It depends upon your broadband connection.


I'm on the fastest Sky broadband you can get, I'm sat 2 meters away from the modem all match and mine cut out every 5-10 minutes on the app, you have to press the listen button again to kick it back in.
User avatar
stuhall1973
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:03 am

Re: ifollow

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:04 pm

stuhall1973 wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Bradders wrote:Nice and clear tonight, although it does cut out every few minutes and has to be nudged.

it shouldn't. My recording tonight didn't. It depends upon your broadband connection.


I'm on the fastest Sky broadband you can get, I'm sat 2 meters away from the modem all match and mine cut out every 5-10 minutes on the app, you have to press the listen button again to kick it back in.

sorry to hear that Stu.

I should have said that I was recording the web-based version on laptop. There was no problem with that (as there wasn't on Saturday).

However my dad listened to the app version on Tuesday night (as he did on Saturday and had to listen to the Crewe BBC Stoke commentary) and he had no dropouts at all.

Hard to diagnose having to keep press the listen button om the app to restart commentary. I would recommend you fire that question to iFollow via the online help bubble thing or by email, and please let us know the advice. I would guess they might ask you to try re-installing the app.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14750
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: ifollow

Postby Spiritater » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:17 pm

Back in the old days it was simple, just switch on t'radio and hey presto commo was there.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 16150
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: ifollow

Postby Foxy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:52 am

Spiritater wrote:Back in the old days it was simple, just switch on t'radio and hey presto commo was there.


I miss Ceefax to be honest. It was like the internet bought from a pound shop.
User avatar
Foxy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4494
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: At the Coop

Re: ifollow

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:13 pm

I measured the lag at half time today on commentary. As I signed off for the break, I measured the time to that being broadcast. It was 48 seconds. A few seconds longer than is ideal, but I don't think you can get it below 30 seconds whatever.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14750
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: ifollow

Postby spanishstag » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:21 pm

Started off today with logging on then when it started i was watching bloody walsall v whoever sent them a email by the time i got back to the footy it was stags match ,not overly impressed with this but hey ho every game live ,early days and soon my internet is gonnna get faster
spanishstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 406
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: ifollow

Postby Tawnystag » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:34 pm

This has nothing to do with your connection, you could have lightening speed and it would still lag and drop out. 48 seconds lag is unacceptable - this is the internet age we live in where we can broadcast a live stream from the International Space Station in less time that it takes to get a match commentary from Mansfield town.

The problem is latency on the servers at iFollow. They are clearly not up to the job - they need to invest in better infrastructure to deliver this application.
Tawnystag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Re: ifollow

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:46 pm

That is shocking latency. Appalling.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 10044
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: ifollow

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:06 am

Martin Shaw wrote:I measured the lag at half time today on commentary. As I signed off for the break, I measured the time to that being broadcast. It was 48 seconds. A few seconds longer than is ideal, but I don't think you can get it below 30 seconds whatever.


I just measured the lag on Sky Go using my home broadband (which is faster than my mobile wifi I use at the ground). I measured the lag on Sky News on freeview versus Sky News on Sky Go.

The lag is 32 seconds.

(I measured on freeview because there is already a lag on satellite tv).

The lag I've previously measured on iFollow and on StagsPlayerHD has typically been about 30 seconds or a fraction more. Yesterday was about 15 seconds slower. That depends on how your wifi is doing that day, and probably on how well your laptop is performing too.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14750
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: ifollow

Postby Tawnystag » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:23 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:I measured the lag at half time today on commentary. As I signed off for the break, I measured the time to that being broadcast. It was 48 seconds. A few seconds longer than is ideal, but I don't think you can get it below 30 seconds whatever.


I just measured the lag on Sky Go using my home broadband (which is faster than my mobile wifi I use at the ground). I measured the lag on Sky News on freeview versus Sky News on Sky Go.

The lag is 32 seconds.

(I measured on freeview because there is already a lag on satellite tv).

The lag I've previously measured on iFollow and on StagsPlayerHD has typically been about 30 seconds or a fraction more. Yesterday was about 15 seconds slower. That depends on how your wifi is doing that day, and probably on how well your laptop is performing too.


It has nothing to do with your wifi connection or laptop as audio streams at a very low bit-rate and requires very little processing so you should get the same experience whether on 4G or high speed wifi. It is to do with the number of requests that are being placed on the server at that time. Saturday afternoon is peak time hence the the slow performance, whereas Sunday morning is likely to give you a better performance. Either way, they are not up to the job and better investments in infrastructure are required or application acceleration technology to make this service workable.
Last edited by Tawnystag on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tawnystag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Re: ifollow

Postby Conker » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:26 am

It's such a poorly ran service, always has been amateur.
Conker
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1433
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: ifollow

Postby Foxy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:39 am

I think Tawny's right about contention ratios.
User avatar
Foxy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4494
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: At the Coop

Re: ifollow

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:22 am

Tawny, you can't measure the lag on a Sunday morning on iFollow because there is no commentary to measure. So your comment doesn't make a lot of sense as a reply to my previous comments.

I was talking about the lag on Sky Go on a Sunday morning. That lag is 32 seconds.

The lag I typically measure on a Saturday afternoon on the iFollow (and previously StagsPlayerHD) commentary is typically 30 seconds and yesterday was a little longer at 48 seconds.

The only time the lag has been longer than that for me has been at an away ground where the wifi has been not so good. Then it can be 2 minutes, 3 minutes or longer. And there are often dropouts on those occasions.

Is that lag on Sky Go too long in your opinion?

Have I just been incredibly lucky to routinely have a lag of 30-48 seconds on the commentary on a Saturday afternoon in your opinion?
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14750
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

Re: ifollow

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:50 pm

Foxy wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Back in the old days it was simple, just switch on t'radio and hey presto commo was there.


I miss Ceefax to be honest. It was like the internet bought from a pound shop.

I also used to be sat there waiting for the page to refresh on Ceefax on the times when we had no coverage at all, the excitement was unbelievable :)

We've come a long way since then, I'm generally pleased with the service so far, looking forward to going through the video of the game later.
Don't sell Terry Eccles
User avatar
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: ifollow

Postby Dan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:06 pm

Terry Eccles Was God wrote:
Foxy wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Back in the old days it was simple, just switch on t'radio and hey presto commo was there.


I miss Ceefax to be honest. It was like the internet bought from a pound shop.

I also used to be sat there waiting for the page to refresh on Ceefax on the times when we had no coverage at all, the excitement was unbelievable :)

We've come a long way since then, I'm generally pleased with the service so far, looking forward to going through the video of the game later.



When page 4/4 turned into page 5 you would be bursting with excitement waiting to see if it was the Stags who had scored to force another page! :D :D :D
Dan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5876
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: ifollow

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:35 pm

Dan wrote:
Terry Eccles Was God wrote:
Foxy wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Back in the old days it was simple, just switch on t'radio and hey presto commo was there.


I miss Ceefax to be honest. It was like the internet bought from a pound shop.

I also used to be sat there waiting for the page to refresh on Ceefax on the times when we had no coverage at all, the excitement was unbelievable :)

We've come a long way since then, I'm generally pleased with the service so far, looking forward to going through the video of the game later.



When page 4/4 turned into page 5 you would be bursting with excitement waiting to see if it was the Stags who had scored to force another page! :D :D :D

I'd forgotten that bit, I'd go into meltdown waiting for that page to flip over. :)

Also, I used to like living dangerously so I'd switch over to Digitiser to read the tech pages then get back to the Stags for when the page came round again, if I missed the Stags page, not knowing if we'd scored or not in the last 5 mins would add to the excitement as it came round again. It was so bad, it was good :)
Don't sell Terry Eccles
User avatar
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: ifollow

Postby Dan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:17 pm

:lol: :lol: I can remember being bursting for a wee but not going when there was like 9 pages as you just knew you'd come back too late & have to wait ages again.
Dan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5876
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: ifollow

Postby Vice President » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:22 pm

I can't see the full match replay for the FGR game. Anyone else having this problem?
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1196
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:59 pm

Re: ifollow

Postby Vice President » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:32 pm

Also, it only lets me watch a video once. I can't replay it. Is this normal?
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1196
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:59 pm

Re: ifollow

Postby Forever Optimistic » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:37 pm

They're advertising the app more and it is dire. I'll watch a video when signed in, the next video says upgrade your account. Switched to website on Stabler, it's better but still some drawbacks. Bring back player, everything worked fine.
Something tells me we're into something good
User avatar
Forever Optimistic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:48 am

Re: ifollow

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:39 pm

Vice President wrote:I can't see the full match replay for the FGR game. Anyone else having this problem?

make sure you are signed in
then go to this link https://www.mansfieldtown.net/matches/f ... 12-aug-17/
then click on watch now
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14750
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Guildford

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Captain Cunno, Chander Lear, Dadslad, Foresttownstag, ironbru, Jamie, Kenwood, Martin Shaw, nickrobo60, oldweststander, Rob, sw19stag and 25 guests