{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Hotel as part of the One Call stadium

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Hotel as part of the One Call stadium

Postby stevethederbystag » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:30 am

What happened to Tony Egginton's dream of a green space on the bus station site???
stevethederbystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby oldweststander » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:44 am

Now folks, Dave Wayne has spelt it out, of course in the true tredition of some posters I wait for the next conspiracy theory to appear.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:54 pm

So they don't have a developer, just a property development company, that are trying to sell the idea to interested parties. They are hoping to get a developer on board within 2 years?.
I predict on past form, that in 5 years time that not one brick will have been laid. After all haven't the council been marketing this site for at least the last 5 years?
All this after turning down a firm bid to build from John Radford
You couldn't make it up!
bigalstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ianb » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:13 pm

bigalstag wrote:So they don't have a developer, just a property development company, that are trying to sell the idea to interested parties. They are hoping to get a developer on board within 2 years?.
I predict on past form, that in 5 years time that not one brick will have been laid.

I'll bet ten years...

Come on John, let's get the one built at the stadium, show the council how a real business works. Mayor Allsop has no objections http://tldrify.com/ou3
ianb
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby steve-hymas » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:06 am

You can't really help a town that doesn't want to help itself .
Very small minded of the local council not to realise a successful football club can bring investment into the area .look down the road at Chesterfield and places like doncaster .prime examples.
What do we do raspberries on the man that has invested millions to try and raise the titanic .Ask him to bid on a site he wasn't really interested in then go with a "preferred bidder" that hasn't even got a hotel chain interested yet.
I have been at the meetings with the hoteliers and architects and a lot of time effort and money has been put in to the project .All just now wasted on a town that does not learn how to grow and prosper.
I have never been in to politics but wow what an awful decision by those in charge .
I have to go into town very rarely now and only if I need to sign something at the bank .I can see with the zombies treading the streets, the empty market and closed down shops and dirty streets what a wonderful job is being made thus far .
I do really fear for this town of ours .
steve-hymas
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby oldweststander » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:00 am

Come off it Steve, you know the truth and you are not giving the full story, money may have been spent, that's what speculaters do, probably a hotel chain was interested, why shouldn't they still be in the new proposal. As you well know, being in the buiding business, land costs money and goes to the highest bidder and best proposal.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:40 am

oldweststander wrote:Come off it Steve, you know the truth and you are not giving the full story, money may have been spent, that's what speculaters do, probably a hotel chain was interested, why shouldn't they still be in the new proposal. As you well know, being in the buiding business, land costs money and goes to the highest bidder and best proposal.
Like many of usOWS, I don't know the ins and outs of these things. But what Steve is saying is how things look to the public. Mansfield is not moving on in fact it is going backwards. For example Chesterfield has the marina project on going. The football club, especially with the current people in charge, appears to be the only positive of Mansfield. I used to visit Mansfield town centre but no longer, because there is nothing there to entice me. These days I only visit for the football.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:32 am

steve-hymas wrote:You can't really help a town that doesn't want to help itself .
Very small minded of the local council not to realise a successful football club can bring investment into the area .look down the road at Chesterfield and places like doncaster .prime examples.
What do we do raspberries on the man that has invested millions to try and raise the titanic .Ask him to bid on a site he wasn't really interested in then go with a "preferred bidder" that hasn't even got a hotel chain interested yet.
I have been at the meetings with the hoteliers and architects and a lot of time effort and money has been put in to the project .All just now wasted on a town that does not learn how to grow and prosper.
I have never been in to politics but wow what an awful decision by those in charge .
I have to go into town very rarely now and only if I need to sign something at the bank .I can see with the zombies treading the streets, the empty market and closed down shops and dirty streets what a wonderful job is being made thus far .

The majority are hearing you and in agreement pal.
They redefine hopeless. Either that or there's been a sweetener of some alleged variety.

If I was John I'd go ahead with the original Field Mill plan. How stupid would the council look to turn down an application when there is no alternative in a 100k population town?
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:59 am

steve-hymas wrote:You can't really help a town that doesn't want to help itself .

Well said Steve. We have, for years now one of the worst run councils in the country. Some on here need their heads shaking to think otherwise. This place is a raspberries hole of epic proportions not helped by so called clever business people.
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby spainmick » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:18 am

I have to agree with Dave Wayne -
and Stevethederbystag - what has any of this got to do with Tony Eggington ? he is no longer mayor -
spainmick
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby oldweststander » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:44 am

Correct spainmick.

As for a hotel at the One Call, JR can still build one, will he, I don't think he will.

Smoke and mirrors, being a football club it's hard to shake off old habits, no transparency in football.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:52 am

Whereas MDC are perfectly transparent - they're a shambles and have a flashing neon light above their heads to confirm it to everyone.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:00 am

oldweststander wrote:Correct spainmick.

As for a hotel at the One Call, JR can still build one, will he, I don't think he will.

Smoke and mirrors, being a football club it's hard to shake off old habits, no transparency in football.

So are you saying John Radford and Steve Hymas are liars?
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:36 am

The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Wilfred » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:29 pm

Sneag wrote:

So are you saying John Radford and Steve Hymas are liars?

Just to expand on Sneag's question.

You say John Radford's plans to build a hotel on the old bus station site are "smoke and mirrors". What do you mean exactly, please? And is the council's "Well we might develop the site in a couple of years" ok with you? And please make it clear to us what the "old habits" are that are still current at MTFC and that they cannot "shake off"? I'm intrigued.
Being a Stags fan never has a happy ending. Because being a Stags fan never ends.
Wilfred
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:16 pm

Smoke and Mirrors, being a politician, it’s hard to shake it off you mean!!! Are you Kate Allsop in disguise?
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:19 pm

OWS. You seem more and more happy to maintain the status quo at MDC. Why cant you accept that the place needs serious investment and try to do something proactive to bring about positive change.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:24 pm

I haven't been following this too closely but I've a genuine question that I don't think I've seen posed yet (apologies if it has): What is stopping JR just building a hotel anyway without the council?

The timeline as I seem to understand it went:

- JR announces plans to build hotel at club
- Council ask him to get involved in a plan that they had involving a hotel at a different site
- Council tell JR his bid is unsuccessful

Did his hotel at the football club plan include investment from the council that he'll now have to fill himself/via other investors, or some form of planning permission assistance?

Edit: Sorry I'm thinking as I'm typing - if it was built at the club does Haslam have to be involved at some level?
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:28 pm

Marky,

Nothing is stopping JR building at the football stadium If he applies for planning permission.

I'm not at liberty to discuss or disclose details of any conversations with third parties.
When did I say JR and Steve Hymas were liars, I didn't and would never do that, what I have said is the whole story has not been disclosed, isn't business like that?

Transparency etc, most council decision making meetings are open to the public, questions can be submitted in advance and answered, does that happen at the One Call?

The council's side of the story was published in the Chad this week, that is all I have to say on the matter.

Accepting the status quo, not at all. The Council are working to attract companies and jobs to our town, only recently a large Chinese company announced they were setting up premises on the Millennium business park. The council have built or are building over 200 social homes in recent years, more are needed and planned when funding becomes available.

I love my town or I wouldn't do what I do, I don't care what Stagsnet posters say as they are generally wrong.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:35 pm

Marky,

Nothing is stopping JR building at the football stadium if he applies for planning permission.

I'm not at liberty to discuss or disclose details of any conversations with third parties.
When did I say JR and Steve Hymas were liars, I didn't and would never do that, what I have said is the whole story has not been disclosed, isn't business like that?

Transparency etc, most council decision making meetings are open to the public, questions can be submitted in advance and answered, does that happen at the One Call?

The council's side of the story was published in the Chad this week, that is all I have to say on that matter.

Accepting the status quo, not at all. The Council are working to attract companies and jobs to our town, only recently a large Chinese company announced they were setting up premises on the Millennium business park. The council have built or are building over 200 social homes in recent years, more are needed and planned when funding becomes available.

I love my town or I wouldn't do what I do, I care about genuine public opinion but care little what Stagsnet posters say as they are generally doom and gloom merchants who just love knocking the town and are in love with the MTFC hierarchy who, ofcourse, can do no wrong.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:42 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Doomy and jamie, your arguments are both compelling and both flawed and the real answer is somewhere in the middle.

A hotelier wont wait for demand before building. Similarly a hotelier wont build if theres not a demand.

So what comes first? The demand for a hotel create the hotel. Or does the hotel create demand where there was none? How can there be a demonstrable demand for a hotel where there isnt a hotel?

The council have to do all they can to make this calculated risk for the developer tip in the favour of development. The council also need to know that if they invest they are to do so in what they believe is thw most credible and viable scheme.

Its chicken and egg or egg and chicken. The same applies to retail in the town. People complain there is nothing to go into town for. Retailers wont invest because their demographic shows there is not enough footfall/customer spend in the town. Its a vicious circle which is dragging the town down. There have been a number of good independent shops opened in the town in recent years, that have not been supported when they are there. The ineffective council have certainly more than played their part, but its not all down to them.
As many know I have the independent record shop in town. I'm very grateful to all of our local customers from Mansfield/Ashfield, but the reality is it woudn't be viable without a good influx of customers from further afield. People like John Radford who are trying to make a difference should be encouraged in any way possible, not shown the door.
victor A block
First Team
First Team

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:00 pm

I suspect some of MDC's panel of 'experts' hark back from the Meale era - unless the approval meeting had endless biscuits & combined with constant loo / fag breaks, then i'd guess little makes it past just being an agenda point to 'harrumph!' at. There is surely a market for hotels in Mansfield, and there would probably be a greater need if the council had the balls to have ever been forward-thinking in developing the community, instead of making as much noise as Harpo Marx with a sore throat. Perhaps i'm completely wrong, but my perception of MDC was that no feathers could get ruffled if nothing was done that would push them to be proactive. Hence, the committee had nice cosy meetings and everyone left unburdened and best of friends. I'd be interested to see how many hoteliers over the years submitted plans vs how many in the last 5 or 10? Perhaps they just gave up after decades of rejection.

Maybe JR's plans simply weren't good enough, or maybe the last of the Meale / Haslam old guard having their final say against this entrepreneurial upstart crow who bought the cushy number from their bessies?

Either way, hotel(s) can only be a good thing
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:35 pm

No way JR will go ahead with this now. It wouldn’t be financially viable at this moment in time to compete with another hotel. He would be mad to do so imo. However if we got promoted a few times it could become so.
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Wilfred » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:38 pm

oldweststander wrote:Marky,

Nothing is stopping JR building at the football stadium If he applies for planning permission.

The council's side of the story was published in the Chad this week, that is all I have to say on the matter.

I love my town or I wouldn't do what I do, I don't care what Stagsnet posters say as they are generally wrong.

Can you answer my questions above, please, OWS?

Or does your "not at liberty" statement mean that you won't provide the clarity needed on the rather vague and cryptic accusations you made earlier?

And, with your final sentence, you sound like the words on my wife's stategically placed plaque in our house:

THE WOMAN IN THIS HOUSE IS NEVER WRONG.
WHEN SHE IS READ THE ABOVE.
Being a Stags fan never has a happy ending. Because being a Stags fan never ends.
Wilfred
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:10 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:No way JR will go ahead with this now. It wouldn’t be financially viable at this moment in time to compete with another hotel. He would be mad to do so imo. However if we got promoted a few times it could become so.

By the time the council do anything with a hotel JR would've made his money back and more on a hotel at the ground!
Dan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum