{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Hotel as part of the One Call stadium

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Hotel as part of the One Call stadium

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:38 am

:) MP Ben Bradley as said he is backing the project
http://www.chad.co.uk/news/stags-in-tal ... -1-8676550
:mtfc: :coys: :mtfc:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:42 am

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::) MP Ben Bradley as said he is backing the project
http://www.chad.co.uk/news/stags-in-tal ... -1-8676550
:mtfc: :coys: :mtfc:

Why wouldn't he. The only way he wouldn't back it, is if he owned another hotel in the town and the new one would take business away from his hotel.
We might win against Accrington next time.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:14 pm

tmwilson wrote:Next competition . ........ name the hotel

Hotely McHotelface
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:27 pm

TBS wrote:
Johan wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Johan,

You know nothing.

You're half right. Firstly I don't know where to find Starbucks in the town centre?

Or Superdry, Jack Wills, H&M, Lush, Five Guys, Yo Sushi... I could go on, but it's frankly embarrassing what Mansfield doesn't have.

We do have a great pile of rubble next to the new bus station though. And another where Metal Box used to be. And the old Brewery...

Until we receive proper regeneration I will continue to be very critical of our council.

Embarrassing because there's no Starbucks? Seriously? Wouldn't it be great if all towns looked the same & had the same shops... How about trying Ten Green Bottles or one of the many local coffee shops or cafes where the product is just as good & you're supporting a local business rather than a massive company that couldn't give a toss. I wouldn't go into Starbucks if they paid me.

You'll be wanting our kit made by Nike next.

Woah. Point going over your head.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:33 pm

Johan mentions leading shops in his post.

H&M were coming but the shops on offer didn't suit them, suppose Johan wants the council to build them a flash new shop. Regards all the other high street names he mentions, I challenge him to go to any similar sized then in the north or midlands of England and find them all lined up. You may find one but not the list. As for Starbucks, we don't need more national coffee shops, we already have Costa and many small, very good, independent coffee shops and cafés.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:20 pm

oldweststander wrote:Johan mentions leading shops in his post.

H&M were coming but the shops on offer didn't suit them, suppose Johan wants the council to build them a flash new shop. Regards all the other high street names he mentions, I challenge him to go to any similar sized then in the north or midlands of England and find them all lined up. You may find one but not the list. As for Starbucks, we don't need more national coffee shops, we already have Costa and many small, very good, independent coffee shops and cafés.

It's not a question of not having them all here it's having none of them here, that is a damning endictment of the town centre management how ever you dress it up.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:38 pm

:lol: will the Hilton have a bar and have a happy hour for Super Stag fans match day :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:32 pm

Shops like Superdry and Jack Wills you will only find in city centres and out of town shopping centres - there is a Superdry at McArthur Glen.

Chesterfield has a H&M and Waterstones which I'd welcome in Mansfield, but Mansfield has a HMV, Topman, Topshop, Burton (the Burton in Chesterfield is now another Greggs) and the Four Seasons & our retail parks are much better in my opinion as are shops such as Boots and Sports Direct which are bigger. I prefer to shop in Mansfield out of the two. Chesterfield's market is still better though!
Tre Cool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby WeDeserveMore » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:21 am

Tre Cool wrote:Shops like Superdry and Jack Wills you will only find in city centres and out of town shopping centres - there is a Superdry at McArthur Glen.

Chesterfield has a H&M and Waterstones which I'd welcome in Mansfield, but Mansfield has a HMV, Topman, Topshop, Burton (the Burton in Chesterfield is now another Greggs) and the Four Seasons & our retail parks are much better in my opinion as are shops such as Boots and Sports Direct which are bigger. I prefer to shop in Mansfield out of the two. Chesterfield's market is still better though!

I agree with all of that.

Well put that person :good_post:
Champions!!!!!!!
WeDeserveMore
First Team
First Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:34 am

WeDeserveMore wrote:
Tre Cool wrote:Shops like Superdry and Jack Wills you will only find in city centres and out of town shopping centres - there is a Superdry at McArthur Glen.

Sadly, Mansfield has a high percentage of empty retail shops when compared to many similar sized towns. The only businesses that seem to see the Town as viable are Coffee shops, Money Shops, Nail Bars, Vape Shops, Pound shops (et al). The recent growth in Polish shops is starting to reverse. Even Charity shops are struggling! I hear that Marks and Spencer is converting its Westgate store to M&S Food and my commercial instinct tells me that the Department Store on Stockwell Gate (that used to be the Coop) is living on borrowed time.
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:02 am

I agree to much of what you say Edders, certain stores do seem in decline but there is no evidence to say M&S are to become a food only outlet, yes it is the worst M&S in the county and yes they sell the wrong age group in clothes, no person under the age of 40 shops there so why sell stuff that over 40s would not buy. It is a misconception re empty shops in Mansfield. Compared to similar demographic towns we are doing better than most, better than Newark and even slightly better than Nottingham at the last count comparatively speaking. The main thing that makes the town look drab is Stockwell Gate, there are plans but the council needs a partner to deliver them.
Retailers, developers, even employers look at the demographics of an area before investing, when you look at our town we have more than 50% of Band A housing, poor educational standards, and because of the latter a low wage work force.
Education is the starting point, when you get children turning up at school who can't speak or use a toilet you are in trouble, same applies to children leaving primary school with a reading age below national average, we have all that in Mansfield to contend with. Oh, and before you start talking osterity think again, this situation goes back thirty years, efforts have been made to engage families but they don't care.
Sorry to rant, those out there who have a go at Mansfield and pull the town down just don't understand or want to understand the reasons why. We can all criticise but not many of us are willing to try and do something about it.
Last edited by oldweststander on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:45 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
WeDeserveMore wrote:

Sadly, Mansfield has a high percentage of empty retail shops when compared to many similar sized towns. The only businesses that seem to see the Town as viable are Coffee shops, Money Shops, Nail Bars, Vape Shops, Pound shops (et al). The recent growth in Polish shops is starting to reverse. Even Charity shops are struggling! I hear that Marks and Spencer is converting its Westgate store to M&S Food and my commercial instinct tells me that the Department Store on Stockwell Gate (that used to be the Coop) is living on borrowed time.

Think you are right re Marks and Spencer Food but my guess is they will take over old BHS building?
Mansfield s not bad for shops visit places like Bedford Rotherham they are dire, however I spend some time in Milton Keynes and its shoppers delight, but do I personally visit them? Not really that often.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:30 pm

The idea of a stylish hotel like the Hilton being built at the stadium is fantastic & exciting. However, it would be a lost opportunity if it doesn't also result in an improvement to the stadium itself - so I can't wait to see the plans.

All the earlier posts about Mansfield's lack of facilities show how the town desperately needs this kind of regeneration. My only doubts though are .... will it ever happen? Previous plans like redeveloping Bishop St. and the Training Barn/gym never materialised ..... I hope this one actually makes it!
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:12 pm

Comparisons are interesting. Chesterfield (sadly) has moved way ahead of Mansfield, in infrastructure, town centre development and retail in general. It does have a wider range of shops, more independents, a better market as mentioned. The M&S there if using as a guideline is 4 times the size, and wasn't on their alleged closure list last year. It also already has 3 or 4 national hotel chains. It also has a train station with trains to all over the country..not a Thomas the tank line to Worksop.
Mansfield suffers from a lack of student population ( even the college being out of town) and jobs/offices/people working in the town.
People with more disposable income who live in the town/area go to Nottingham to shop.
Its a classic chicken/egg situation..........the public complain there arn't enough good shops, the retailers don't come because the footfall/demographic isn't there.
With all of this in mind, anything the Radfords do to improve the town and club is welcome by me, and politics aside, maybe an MP with some interest in moving the town forward will be a good thing too. If someone can awaken the council from their slumber, that would also be beneficial.
Last edited by victor A block on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
victor A block
First Team
First Team

Postby Amberheart » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:23 pm

Chesterfield are lucky enough to have the Peak District
National park nearby which will attract lots of visitors .
Our town is historically significant in its architecture, but nothings
done by the council to show case it over the years .
Hopefully the new hotel if it's not incorporated into the ground itself
Will still help generate the funds to replace the Bishop street stand
a stag is a proud & noble beast
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:58 pm

Vice President wrote:The idea of a stylish hotel like the Hilton being built at the stadium is fantastic & exciting. However, it would be a lost opportunity if it doesn't also result in an improvement to the stadium itself - so I can't wait to see the plans.

All the earlier posts about Mansfield's lack of facilities show how the town desperately needs this kind of regeneration. My only doubts though are .... will it ever happen? Previous plans like redeveloping Bishop St. and the Training Barn/gym never materialised ..... I hope this one actually makes it!

Now Meale is out the way i'm hoping we'll see more growth of business, as opposed to just growth of mold and cobwebs. It's true the locals could demand better shops if they are prepared to / can pay more for it - Fortnum & Mason at Farmfoods prices ain't gonna happen tho ;)

Personally, any new business coming in a bonus, especially now it means i'll have somewhere nearby to hold my reception after getting married in the ground :P
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:50 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:Sadly, Mansfield has a high percentage of empty retail shops when compared to many similar sized towns. The only businesses that seem to see the Town as viable are Coffee shops, Money Shops, Nail Bars, Vape Shops, Pound shops (et al). The recent growth in Polish shops is starting to reverse. Even Charity shops are struggling! I hear that Marks and Spencer is converting its Westgate store to M&S Food and my commercial instinct tells me that the Department Store on Stockwell Gate (that used to be the Coop) is living on borrowed time.

That's because they started getting greedy. They'd want £10 for a pair of jeans for example. You can get brand new ones for that in some places. They've priced themselves out over the years.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Opus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:31 am

Talking about hotels is the Midland still open
Opus
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:32 am

Dan wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:Sadly, Mansfield has a high percentage of empty retail shops when compared to many similar sized towns. The only businesses that seem to see the Town as viable are Coffee shops, Money Shops, Nail Bars, Vape Shops, Pound shops (et al). The recent growth in Polish shops is starting to reverse. Even Charity shops are struggling! I hear that Marks and Spencer is converting its Westgate store to M&S Food and my commercial instinct tells me that the Department Store on Stockwell Gate (that used to be the Coop) is living on borrowed time.

That's because they started getting greedy. They'd want £10 for a pair of jeans for example. You can get brand new ones for that in some places. They've priced themselves out over the years.

Yeh - that'll be it!
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:57 pm

:) when the hotel opens on match days parking could be at a minimum .
:?: :?: could this be the solution :lol:
:lol: Edder's will like this one :lol:

:lol: :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:38 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::) when the hotel opens on match days parking could be at a minimum .
:?: :?: could this be the solution :lol:
:lol: Edder's will like this one :lol:

:lol: :lol:

I do!
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum