{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

we getting this striker tomorrow then or what?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: we getting this striker tomorrow then or what?

Postby Johnny H » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:30 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Johnny H wrote:Bogle is wanting upto 15k per week !!!!!!
The club soon lost interest in him when his agent quoted that

As if you are privy to that :roll:

Trust me......I was told by someone that would know !!
Johnny H
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:36 pm

Jamie wrote:So you don't want him because he wants a few days to talk his future over with his family... Seems even the usually level headed posters have now lost the plot :)

I honesly dont care if we sign anyone else or not. All this stuff about another striker might be doing more harm than good in the dressing room.

Now ya'see me and you are actually on the same page - as we are most of the time. I also don't care if we sign anyone else or not, unless it is someone who is going to make a significant difference.

If someone offered me another job, doing the same work, probably on the same money, and my current employer had proven that they were happy to let me go then I wouldn't need a week to faff around considering my future.

This extra frontman odyssey has been one of the most boring sagas in recent Stagsnet history. My brain feels like its turned to liquefied post-whack-a-mole mush.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:37 pm

Hopper would be as underwhelming as the time we re-signed Chris Beardsley!
I am sorry, but I am not impressed by Steve Evans' choice of strikers. He has thrown out a proven goal scorer in Matt Green, and brought in players who have hardly scored any goals at their previous clubs. In my opinion he has messed up big time with the strikers and it will cost us.
Steve Evans may have improved the overall squad, but I am not convinced that he has actually improved the first team enough.
I can't see this team winning promotion. I really hope that I am proved wrong.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Greenie1982 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:42 pm

:twisted: negative most of new signings
played at a higher level
Greenie1982
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:57 pm

DogsDoDahs wrote:Now Ranger out of prison Brown more likely to let Theo Robinson go? Perhaps that's why there been such a delay waiting on his prison release as him being in a chain. LOL

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:36 pm

Vice President wrote:Hopper would be as underwhelming as the time we re-signed Chris Beardsley!
I am sorry, but I am not impressed by Steve Evans' choice of strikers. He has thrown out a proven goal scorer in Matt Green, and brought in players who have hardly scored any goals at their previous clubs. In my opinion he has messed up big time with the strikers and it will cost us.
Steve Evans may have improved the overall squad, but I am not convinced that he has actually improved the first team enough.

get a grip man, not a competitive game has been played and you've wrote us off. evans is the man to get us promoted, his record backs it up

and this has been said so many times but didn't portsmouth and plymouth get promoted without a 20 goal season striker? we will score goals from all positions which can make up for not having that extra striker
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:06 pm

We didn't get into playoffs last season mainly thanks to Matt Green not being able to hit a barn door except from penalty spot occasionally. The miss against Portsmouth when he was clean through 1 on 1 with keeper and didn't hit the target was the final straw with SE. If you saw SE post match interview he was seething and hopping about like the floor was on fire or he needed a good dump urgent!! Everybody knows what Matt Green has done for stags but he is past his best now and lost interest playing last season so he had to go. So SE is trying to get young hungry strikers for an affordable price to get value for money. He would love to sign £1 million pound strikers BUT IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN this season but maybe if we get promoted.

Bobbystagsfan is bang on SE and PR are the best chance we will ever get of playing football at a higher level and they knows their business at this level of the game and higher. SO get behind the team, get your arse down to Crewe and shout your team on.
I am certain as are the bookies promotion will happen this season and if we are lucky and we score goals either from the defence, midfield or striking players we may even win the damn thing!!
No more negative raspberry please no matter if we get two more players are not, we have the best squad we have had in a very long while and its going to be exiting to see what happens.
DogsDoDahs
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby pemill » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:12 pm

Interesting to blame our top scorer, shame some of the others didn't give him a run for his money.

The negative tripe witnessed last season is nothing to do with it of course.
pemill
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:13 pm

Vice President wrote:Hopper would be as underwhelming as the time we re-signed Chris Beardsley!

Why do some people think "the grass is greener on the other side, ( no pun intended ) ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:18 am

tmwilson wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:not a goal scorer though is he?

Omar B for me please

Even if we could afford the transfer fee , which may go higher if quite a few teams bid . How are we going to afford the wages he's likely to demand ? .
Then we have the issue of persuading him to drop to league two instead of furthering his career .

I rate Bogle more than Akinde , but I think we would have more chance getting Akinde . . The goalscorer you and many others want , won't happen .
The club's will either keep them , ask a big fee or the player will want to play for another team .

A league one player with decent stats will be a good signing . The Raffords don't have a endless budget . Some of our players may not make the grade , so others players will have to come In , at a later date .
If we are up there in the next transfer window , then I can see us adding a bit more quality to get us over the finishing line
The town need to get off their backsides and support us . Then we may have more money to go for the so called better players

You can't go around throwing flippant remarks like that, however true they are. You'll get duffed up on here by folk who live in a poor area, want to pay on the gate at 2.59pm and only get paid at the end of the month. ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:20 am

and own a t'Wii :D
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:32 am

die hirsche wrote:maybe angol could change his name to bogle, its much the same anyway.

Yeah just stick a B on the front of Angol and if you squint a bit it'll sort of look like Bogle.... Bangol... Bogal.... Bangle. Who'd know the difference and Yorkie'd be happy :D
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:57 am

Maybe Angol should have a song based on Basement Jaxx Bingo Bango

Da da da da Bingo Angol!!
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:07 am

I think Angol will be our man.

Before last season, how many had heard of Bogle, Marquis? Or considered Akinde a prolific striker 2 years ago? They were still playing non-league or not getting a game in the league above. (like Angol)

At 22 Angol is the right age to come into his own. He has pace but he's a big lad and can put himself about. He'll be coverted like the above in seasons to come.
Tre Cool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:25 am

Spiritater wrote:
die hirsche wrote:maybe angol could change his name to bogle, its much the same anyway.

Yeah just stick a B on the front of Angol and if you squint a bit it'll sort of look like Bogle.... Bangol... Bogal.... Bangle. Who'd know the difference and Yorkie'd be happy :D

Susanna Hoffs - phoar!
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:36 am

The vice President gave both barrels and feel that there is a slight frustration over not having been able to get in that 'wow factor' striker and we all to some extent feel that I think.

Iam guessing SE and CR have tried very very hard on that front but it has not happened for them and so we must go with what we have got for now.

The striker coming whoever he is will not be in the top 4 or 5 choice from originally starting out and I think to have kept Matt Green would not have been the best business and he did have plenty of chances under SE in my view and came up short.

I do hope we don't trot out that we lack that killer punch in the last quarter for the next few games as this will get people on edge from day 1 !!

Sadly we have talked the talk for going for it this season so much publicly its going to be a rollercoaster that's for sure and hoping we are up at the top of it and not down in the bottom of the water splash come Christmas.

COYS
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:02 am

I think the post from Vice President is ridiculous but in keeping with the negative drivel often posted on here

No one knows what has gone on behind the scenes and even if Tom Hopper is not first choice it doesn't mean he isn't good. Comparing the impact with Beardsley is presumably based on reputation. Our ability to attract the primary targets may be down to lots of personal factors such as family geography etc. We are also assuming that we have gone after the names quoted - eg Bogle. Someone mentioned Nakhi Wells on loan - simply ridiculous comic book stuff.

I'm personally not that concerned and think the four we have got and quality of attacking midfield and wide players significantly upgrades our attacking threat. I think Angol will get 20 goals anyway

I was sorry to see Matt go and will never criticise him but lets be honest last season was not his best and sometimes you have to move on - and I for one am happy to leave those decisions to SE

COYS
yorkstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:25 am

Tre Cool wrote:I think Angol will be our man.

Before last season, how many had heard of Bogle, Marquis? Or considered Akinde a prolific striker 2 years ago? They were still playing non-league or not getting a game in the league above. (like Angol)

At 22 Angol is the right age to come into his own. He has pace but he's a big lad and can put himself about. He'll be coverted like the above in seasons to come.

At last, a post full of positivity and good sense. I too think Angol will score us the amount of goals needed. By the way Chris Greenacre was hardly a prolific goal scorer before he joined us. Give the squad a chance, particularly the strikers before passing negative comments.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:56 am

Good that you mention Chris Greenacre, personally speaking, that's the type of striker deal I'd be looking for. ie, a youngish lad on loan from a Prem/Championship club.

It's fair to assume that Evans has missed out on his preferred targets, so why settle for lesser options? I'm sure the likes of Derby, Forest or the Sheffield clubs would have had someone available who was worth a punt on and would cost less.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:27 am

George Hirst
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:29 am

I would hope that the constant criticism of our current strike force will be all the motivation they need to prove their doubters wrong.
We think the same things at the same time
We just can't do anything about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby ironbrunet » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:39 am

Latest here.
We've accepted the bid so it's up to him.

http://www.iron-bru.co.uk/iron-waiting- ... eld-offer/
ironbrunet
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:40 am

DoomMerchant wrote:Good that you mention Chris Greenacre, personally speaking, that's the type of striker deal I'd be looking for. ie, a youngish lad on loan from a Prem/Championship club.

It's fair to assume that Evans has missed out on his preferred targets, so why settle for lesser options? I'm sure the likes of Derby, Forest or the Sheffield clubs would have had someone available who was worth a punt on and would cost less.

I think forest would pay us to take Apostolos Vellios.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:48 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:Good that you mention Chris Greenacre, personally speaking, that's the type of striker deal I'd be looking for. ie, a youngish lad on loan from a Prem/Championship club.

I think forest would pay us to take Apostolos Vellios.

Not sure why, he's the best striker they've got.
I've got a Grapefruit matter...
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ParisStag » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:57 am

ironbrunet wrote:Latest here.
We've accepted the bid so it's up to him.

http://www.iron-bru.co.uk/iron-waiting- ... eld-offer/

Thanks. Seems like it's him then if this is coming from the Scunny site.

He may be promising, but he isn't any more exciting than Angol or Sterling-James - a young forward who may very well come good, but isn't guaranteed to.

That, to me, says that JR and Evans have given up on the big name, proven scorer and opted for 3 promising ones, probably hoping that at least one will come good.

Ironbru, what do you make of him?
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum